Heat-miser.png
275531-i.jpg
winner.JPG
image-375.jpg
275531.jpg
image.jpg
radiopinball217.jpg
radiopinball167.jpg
There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago

I cannot figure it out... help me... What's the point of this thread?

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

To be fair Stern is manufacturing the MMr for PPS.
Jersey Jack is another story which would probably derail this thread anymore. On pinside we've already committed the ultimate sin and used the words JJP and Stern in the same thread.
But I "couldn't" care less anyways

Whatever. I'd rather talk about Radio Shack ALL DAY than listen to the endless speculation on what shitty pin Stern is going to crank out next, or how many millimeters a particular scrap of PF changed on the next JJP photoshop disaster.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I think the point is that there's an Iron Man to be won at a RadioShack in Oakland. Which is kind of cool on its own.

But it should be pointed out that Kaneda is employed at Weber Shandwick (according to the Wired article on his apartment arcade). RadioShack is one of their clients. The post is also raising awareness for what I presume is a Weber Shandwick campaign to drive more pinball hobbyists into RadioShack.

But hey, free Iron Man? The thread title and the faux-mystery just seem a little self-serving and "guerilla marketing" greasy.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

lol

#105 9 years ago

Same point of every other Kaneda thread...
"Look at me!"

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Half the time they are out of the fuses I need and if they have them they are $125 each. That is all the one close to me has other than cell phones.

waaaat

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

The original poster publicly blamed his problems on our hobby a while back (among other shenanigans), so I think pretty much anything goes. No moderators around. Have at it.

It's a pointless thread. Probably the first one ever here.

#108 9 years ago

Actually, I am curious about how Kaneda inquired about the legality of pinball in Oakland here on Pinside, and then a month or so later Radioshack is giving away a pinball, as mentioned in Wired - a magazine that featured Kaneda. Kaneda, have I missed that you work for Wired? If I may also ask, what then might have been your part in this pinball-at-RadioShack business?

#109 9 years ago

Guys, keep on topic. Stop bashing the OP. It is not allowed and his post does not deserve that regardless of the past.

#110 9 years ago

Forget to add, moving to events forum where it fits better.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

True story at Radioshack:
Associate: Hey buddy, what can I help you with?
Vid: I just need some alligator clips, I know where they are.
A: Who's your cellphone with?
Vid: Decepticom.
A: How's about you let me save you some money on your phone bill?
V: How are you going to do that?
A: Give you a lower price. What are you paying?
V: $39 a month. Unlimited Data/text/voice.
A: OK.....I'm going to make you a happy man today........ (he's poking in the computer).
A: Alright, how does $99 a month sound; UNLIMITED?
V: I just told you I pay $39 a month, unlimited. Why would I want to pay $99?
A: Because I never heard of this Decepticom!
V: Just the clips for today.
A: You sure??? Pick out any of these phones! (points to the showcase) I'm saving you like big cash if you add it all up. You know, if you REALLY compare.
V: Just the clips.

Talk about an epic fail.

He never asked you if you needed any batteries.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from supercombo:

I think the point is that there's an Iron Man to be won at a RadioShack in Oakland. Which is kind of cool on its own.
But it should be pointed out that Kaneda is employed at Weber Shandwick (according to the Wired article on his apartment arcade). RadioShack is one of their clients. The post is also raising awareness for what I presume is a Weber Shandwick campaign to drive more pinball hobbyists into RadioShack.
But hey, free Iron Man? The thread title and the faux-mystery just seem a little self-serving and "guerilla marketing" greasy.

Agree on the " 'guerrilla marketing' greasy" feeling comment. Unless Kaneda's entire internet presence, including all the back-and-forth about Fix It Felix, is an elaborate persona assumed as part of some kind of guerrilla marketing long con, in which case I can only tip my hat to his commitment to the part.

Having said that, free pinball is free pinball, so if he helped set that up, good for him and good for Oakland.

#113 9 years ago

Does this machine come with a cell phone topper?

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Does this machine come with a cell phone topper?

No, but Shaquille O'Neil will sit on the top and talk to you while you play.

#115 9 years ago

Ok, let's clarify a few things for everyone. First, we have our first qualifier. Getting over 50,000,000 million on Iron Man when it's on 3-ball isn't the easy thing to do, but after a many tries Aaron Nelson from the IFPA put up a score of just over 65,000,000. Aaron's an awesome guy and it was great watching him play throughout the day. Picture below.

Secondarily, regarding Fix it Felix Jr, the bane of my existence...check back in a week with senior Pinball Smith and you will see everything has been resolved. Yes, it's been resolved many times before, but for real, this time it's over. Then please, for the love of god people, move on.

Ok, back to the fun stuff. There's a freaking Iron Man Vault Edition pinball that's new in box just sitting inside a RadioShack in Oakland. RadioShack and Stern have been awesome partners in making this happen and they did it for the Pinball fans out there. So hopefully many of you over the next month can swing by and give it a go. It's an awesome game and very, very challenging. But it's on free play, so you can play over and over for free.

Lastly guys, none of this is about me, it's about giving something of value back to the community. I worked hard for months to make this happen and in the end, someone who loves pinball is going to get an Iron Man vault Edition. That's why we're doing this. Now go play and see if you can put up 50,000,000! Peace,

Kaneda

winner.JPGwinner.JPG
#116 9 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Stop bashing the OP.

Where? I see no examples of "bashing".

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Lastly guys, none of this is about me, it's about giving something of value back to the community. I worked hard for months to make this happen and in the end, someone who loves pinball is going to get an Iron Man vault Edition. That's why we're doing this. Now go play and see if you can put up 50,000,000! Peace,
Kaneda

And that alone is pretty cool that you were able to arrange this.

Off topic: Why is Dis_Pinballer downvoting everything?

[edit]: Oh, I see...he was the one who made the NSFW post that everybody tilted. So now he's lashing out by downvoting everybody regardless of post content

#118 9 years ago

Credit where credit is due - this promotion will net someone a nice machine! Thanks for providing more clarification. The curse of winning is paying taxes on the machine, but that's like getting a lightly used IM at a fire sale price. Unless RadioShack is covering taxes, too?

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from supercombo:

Credit where credit is due - this promotion will net someone a nice machine! Thanks for providing more clarification. The curse of winning is paying taxes on the machine, but that's like getting a lightly used IM at a fire sale price. Unless RadioShack is covering taxes, too?

We thought of that my friend and the winner also gets a cash card to offset the taxes! We didn't want anyone getting hit with taxes!

#120 9 years ago

is it just me? when I saw this picture
275531-i.jpg275531-i.jpg

the first thing that came to mind was this
Heat-miser.pngHeat-miser.png

#121 9 years ago

Radio Shack may well be out of business before the finals. Circling the drain.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

That's been a common thought for years, but they're still hanging on.

#123 9 years ago

Rats, Oakland is over 2100 miles away from where I'm at in south Louisiana.
Wish I was closer. I would go play it.
Probably could even find a few components to purchase while in there.
Great tie-in promotion with the pinball ban being officially lifted in Oakland after so many years.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I hope not.

Where will I get parts for my TSR-80?

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Probably could even find a few components to purchase while in there.

Or not.

If you have not been to a Radioshack in a while, there are just a few drawers of the most common parts and anything like a plug or jack is made with thin tinfoil lugs that can't be soldered to.

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

is it just me? when I saw this picture...

Don't think it's been mentioned in the thread... but the orange haired guy in the photo is TJ Beyer, an operator in Northern California and one of the founders and organizers of California Extreme.

TJ's good people!

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I miss the old Radio Shack I grew up with in the 70's and 80's. There used to be neat stuff there.
Now it's just a small, poorly run consumer electronics store.

Our local Radio Shacks have a decent amount of basic stuff in the drawer system they have had for a few years. They also started carrying electronic project kits again.

I was really surprised last time I went in and got a couple high fives for buying a 7805 regulator for our Asteroids. That led to a discussion about video games and pinball. One of the guys behind the counter is in the process of making a MAME machine even.

And no... not one mention of me needing a new cell phone.

#128 9 years ago

If I may offer a bit of a different feel on the thread.

I think it's great what is being done but honestly, if you want to give back to the community make it a charity tournament with maybe a voucher to Radio Shack and then put the game in a local children's hospital. Making it a tournament for the game and having a starting entry of 50 million really pulls out most of the community. All that will be there is a few pinheads, whom, quite frankly probably don't really need another machine.

I really like the idea and thought but the execution could use some more work. If nothing else, make it $0.50 a play and the funds go to a charity in town. People will put some money in to try and win the game and the community gets something out of it too but I really think the game itself should go to better use if this is truly about a charitable donation.

Again, I like the thought behind it but I think you should take it a step further.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

If I may offer a bit of a different feel on the thread.
I think it's great what is being done but honestly, if you want to give back to the community make it a charity tournament with maybe a voucher to Radio Shack and then put the game in a local children's hospital. Making it a tournament for the game and having a starting entry of 50 million really pulls out most of the community.

Right? It makes no sense...it's going to go to a really skilled player who probably already has 5+ machines.

#130 9 years ago

So what's your solution? They only allow shitty players to qualify?

I'm not sure how you could even guarantee that.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So what's your solution? They only allow shitty players to qualify?
I'm not sure how you could even guarantee that.

Very simple:.

How many do you want in your playoffs? let's say 16.

You let people play for the month. At the end of the month you take the top 16 scores. 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15, 3 plays 14, etc in the first round, then you take the same logic for whom makes it through to the next round.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

Same point of every other Kaneda thread...
"Look at me!"

ok, I was wondering why everyone was bashing the guy!

I have seen plenty of people doing the same thing on here and why not, isn't this a place to show off your pins?

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Don't think it's been mentioned in the thread... but the orange haired guy in the photo is TJ Beyer, an operator in Northern California and one of the founders and organizers of California Extreme.
TJ's good people!

everyone is so quick to judge

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

everyone is so quick to judge

Aren't you judging fellow pinsiders? You appear to not know anything of kaneda's history on this website yet you accuse others of "bashing" kaneda. I guess some pinsiders look down on one pinsider not paying a teenager the full agreed price of a Fix-it Felix arcade game and then blackmail said teenager (with the already owed money) into keeping his mouth shut.

#135 9 years ago

th-1-904.jpegth-1-904.jpeg

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Aren't you judging fellow pinsiders? You appear to not know anything of kaneda's history on this website yet you accuse others of "bashing" kaneda. I guess some pinsiders look down on one pinsider not paying a teenager the full agreed price of a Fix-it Felix arcade game and then blackmail said teenager (with the already owed money) into keeping his mouth shut.

Wow that sounds really scummy...link for the curious?

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

Wow that sounds really scummy...link for the curious

The thread has been locked (with no explanation given of why) and I am pretty sure linking a thread that has been locked is not allowed. Just search "fix-it felix" or "kaneda" and you find some threads.

#138 9 years ago

A lot of pros live in the bay area. It's going to be hard to give that thing away to someone "new" to pinball. Perhaps they could add a stipulation that the "winner cannot be nationally ranked"?

I do like the idea of a coin drop for charity, too. Can't hurt!

#139 9 years ago

Hey guys,

I needed a good laugh and someone said I blackmailed Colton over Felix? Now that's a good laugh. Like I said, we've settled our deal and ask him in a week as the settlement just needs to arrive in the mail.

With regards to the tournament. As someone mentioned, you can't have a competition designed to keep out the best players. And hey, the winner could always donate the machine to a children's hospital, they are getting it 100% for free

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

A lot of pros live in the bay area. It's going to be hard to give that thing away to someone "new" to pinball. Perhaps they could add a stipulation that the "winner cannot be nationally ranked"?
I do like the idea of a coin drop for charity, too. Can't hurt!

The whole idea of the promotion is to get hobby veterans back into the stores. If you're fixing games, you're likely a veteran of the hobby. Secondly, it's a tournament. Of course a noob won't win. Expecting only noobs to compete for a $5k prize doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

And I don't think folks should make assumptions about who might win. I can think of at least two world class players around here that don't own a single game. Being a good player doesn't necessarily mean you're also a collector (or can even afford to collect pins). Living in the bay area (currently 500+ games on location) means you don't have to own games to play regularly. If you play on location regularly, you'll see these guys out there eventually. Guaranteed at least one qualifier won't be a collector.

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

With regards to the tournament. As someone mentioned, you can't have a competition designed to keep out the best players.

But you could do a raffle and all you need to do to enter is to play a full game.

That way kids could have a shot, wives would have a shot, some guy who has not played since college would have a shot.

A whole lot more people could enjoy the contest, and thus the promotion would have a much greater impact.

-

You could still have some sort of a prize for the tournament, and for the high score all month long.

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

320x240.jpg 21 KB

275496.jpg275496.jpg

OK I have to say this... I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

we've settled our deal and ask him in a week as the settlement just needs to arrive in the mail.

Oldest line in the book.

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But you could do a raffle and all you need to do to enter is to play a full game.
That way kids could have a shot, wives would have a shot, some guy who has not played since college would have a shot.
A whole lot more people could enjoy the contest, and thus the promotion would have a much greater impact.
-
You could still have some sort of a prize for the tournament, and for the high score all month long.

Raffles almost always turn people off and i'd much rather live in a world where I can play to win vs just be randomly selected. But that's just my opinion.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The whole idea of the promotion is to get hobby veterans back into the stores. If you're fixing games, you're likely a veteran of the hobby. Secondly, it's a tournament.

So then give the top x winners a gift card to keep them coming back, and either raffle the pin or donate it to someplace like a children's hospital like others have be doing. It's kinda discouraging when a pro comes in and scores 50 mil in the first game, and it's just going to beef up his/her collection.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

It's kinda discouraging when a pro comes in and scores 50 mil in the first game, and it's just going to beef up his/her collection.

Did you read the rest of my post?

Quoted from phishrace:

And I don't think folks should make assumptions about who might win. I can think of at least two world class players around here that don't own a single game. Being a good player doesn't necessarily mean you're also a collector (or can even afford to collect pins). Living in the bay area (currently 500+ games on location) means you don't have to own games to play regularly. If you play on location regularly, you'll see these guys out there eventually. Guaranteed at least one qualifier won't be a collector.

You know what they say about making assumptions.

#147 9 years ago

If people don't like the way OP is handling promotion just buy a NIB/get with Stern and work out a deal with your local Radio Shack or other retailer and make up the rules your way. The pin is on free play, anyone can walk in and play and if you post top score you win it. Im sorry but these suggestions about raffles are stupid.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

If people don't like the way OP is handling promotion just buy a NIB/get with Stern and work out a deal with your local Radio Shack or other retailer and make up the rules your way. The pin is on free play, anyone can walk in and play and if you post top score you win it. Im sorry but these suggestions about raffles are stupid.

Well, not everybody is a top player. I enjoy pinball, and am a pretty good player on my own, but if you put me up against folks actually competing, I fall far short. Part of the reason being that I don't have access to real machines that are working and leveled properly. Folks who get top scores usually already have easy access to machines and hundreds of hours of practice. There's basically no chance that I can compete against that. (Disclaimer: Even though I own two machines, I have yet to actually play them even once because they need to be fully restored)

#149 9 years ago

I own an IMv and I got above 50mil maybe 4 times (really need to hit Do or Die bonus.) The point isn't about only someone being good will have a chance to win the pin. Its about a brand new pinball in a public retail store on free play that anyone can walk up to.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, not everybody is a top player. I enjoy pinball, and am a pretty good player on my own, but if you put me up against folks actually competing, I fall far short. Part of the reason being that I don't have access to real machines that are working and leveled properly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Mary, FL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-pinball-delivered-to-radioshack/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.