(Topic ID: 215047)

A Pin-Chaser's Go Bag -- What tools do you take to Pickup a Pin?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7432 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7431 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7430 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I would not call myself a flipper, but will admit to looking over craigslist for the occasional pinball machine deal of the century. It is no secret that everyone and their brother is looking for machines these days -- postings on the interweb do not last long if something is priced even remotely reasonable.

On several occasions I was able to acquire a new machine by being able to get to the seller quickly and handling removal of the game. Anymore I keep a small box under the seat of the SUV of the tools I use most frequently.

IMG_7430 (resized).JPGIMG_7430 (resized).JPG

I used the $2 bill for a size reference -- the intense overhead lighting washed it out.

IMG_7431 (resized).JPGIMG_7431 (resized).JPG

I was lucky with the first pin I bought -- I showed up with an empty van and the seller had most of the tools to move the machine. The next couple were all on me, so if I wanted to get the pin in the truck I had to be prepared.

IMG_7432 (resized).JPGIMG_7432 (resized).JPG

Things I find essential:
    1. Headlamp. Some basements really are dark and creepy.
    2. Ratcheting Wrenches. Great for leg removal. Usually a 9/16" or 5/8" but I did need the 1/2" once.
    3. Sharpie Marker. I had to separate the upper cabinet from the lower on several games to move them and/or fit them in the vehicle. If I have to pull connectors from boards I always make sure to label them -- even though wire memory and connector pins should help with relocation.
    4. Ratcheting Screwdriver. Ground braids or any other phillips/flat/star head screw can be removed quickly.
    5. Cash -- does not always stay in the box but sure is helpful if you can say Ill be there shortly with cash in hand.

Bonus tools are a couple other smaller sized and universal wrenches, needle nose pliers, and duplicate sizes of 1/4" Drive Sockets.

A two wheel dolly/cart, several ratchet straps, moving blankets, cardboard, and plastic wrap are not always in the vehicle but can be handy as well.

I know this is not rocket science and common knowledge for most. Thought it might help other first time pinball movers.

If you keep tools in your ride too what do you have on hand?

#2 6 years ago

5/8 + 9/16 wrench, crescent wrench, screwdriver, drill, cash

#3 6 years ago

I have one ratcheting wrench I usually bring along. It has 5/8" on one side and 9/16" on the other. Sometimes a dolly. That is generally all I have needed. A drill and some bits for locked backbox could come in handy but never needed one on a pickup. Knock on wood. I'm an EM guy so modern games may require a more extensive tool kit.

#4 6 years ago

Depending on the games you’re into, it may be a good idea to have one of those big ass backbox Allen wrenches in case the owner has misplaced theirs.

#5 6 years ago

shifting spanner, big screwdriver, camera, cash

#6 6 years ago

Shrink wrap. They never have it....

#7 6 years ago

Big piece of cardboard always comes in handy for something

#8 6 years ago

No multimeter?

I suppose you did say pickup, and not looking over a potential buy.

#9 6 years ago

Drill and fresh bits to drill a lock are essential tools to have IME

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

5/8 + 9/16 wrench, crescent wrench, screwdriver, drill, cash

I'll see your tool list, but raise you by 2 moving blankets, a hand truck, and a ratcheting strap. Stretch wrap is over rated, imho.

One time I needed a reciprocating saw to saw off the head of a backbox bolt where the threads were stripped into the cabinet, but it was rare enough where I don't feel I need to add that to my tool repertoire on game pickups.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I'll see your tool list, but raise you by 2 moving blankets, a hand truck, and a ratcheting strap. Stretch wrap is over rated, imho.
    One time I needed a reciprocating saw to saw off the head of a backbox bolt where the threads were stripped into the cabinet, but it was rare enough where I don't feel I need to add that to my tool repertoire on game pickups.

toss one of these in the bag

https://www.aftfasteners.com/products/mini-compact-hacksaw-frame-12-x-1-2-10-tpi-blade-1-pkg.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhMGXyOnI2gIVENvACh1FDQqdEAQYAiABEgIZhPD_BwE

#12 6 years ago

I probably should bring more, but it's typically just a vice grips plus tie down straps. Obviously if it's raining I'll bring shrink wrap and a tarp.

#13 6 years ago

A helper

#14 6 years ago

Yes! I've recruited the Brother in Law a couple times. Makes a big difference.

#15 6 years ago

I keep a toolbag with all my regularly used tools (screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, hammer, sockets, box cutter, multimeter, ziplock bags, neoprene gloves, rechargeable work lamp, tape, etc)
    Cordless drill, socket adapter, and drill bits (to quickly remove the leg bolts or drill out a lock)
    newspaper (to catch metal shavings from drilling a lock)
    WD-40 (for those rare cases where there is a stubborn rusted bolt)
    plastic wrap
    packing blankets
    sheets of cardboard (to protect the rear end of the game when moving it, to help slide the game into the vehicle, and to protect the sides from rubbing against anything)
    hand truck with big wheels (helpful for moving the game around or up/down stairs)
    lift cart (another option for moving the game or to help with removing the legs)
    custom I-shaped stand made of 2x4's to prop up the game to help remove the legs
    rope & bungie cords just in case something needs to go up on the roof racks
    pool noodles (padding for folding backboxes, loose playfields, or anything else)
    small boxes for loose bolts, screws & parts
    a spray bottle of fantastic to clean up any messes
    a couple rolls of paper towels
    Consumables--water, soda, snacks & chocolate

I keep pretty much everything in the vehicle except for the consumables, toolbag, and drill.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I keep pretty much everything in the vehicle except for the consumables, toolbag, and drill.

I'm guessing you've picked up a game or two in your time

Great list -- I like how you singled out chocolate on the consumables.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I'm guessing you've picked up a game or two in your time
    Great list -- I like how you singled out chocolate on the consumables.

Yeah, the sugar tends to be a good pick-me-up after some of those tougher pick-ups with stairs.

#18 6 years ago

The big allen head wrench that you use to lock & unlock the head of a Data East and the early new Sterns. It saved me big time once.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

#19 6 years ago

Ziplocks for bolts, keys, etc.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

The big allen head wrench that you use to lock & unlock the head of a Data East and the early new Sterns

If you don't have one from a game. It's a 5/16 size one. "L" shaped. 6 inches on one side, 4 inches on the other. So you'd need a long one.

LTG : )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-pin-chasers-go-bag-what-tools-do-you-take-to-pickup-a-pin?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.