Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,207 posts
  • 429 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 94 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

R0010379 (resized).jpg
    R0010392 (resized).jpg
    R0010393 (resized).jpg
    R0010366 (resized).jpg
    A1FA43FC-116D-4ED7-8A8B-08BA0501A236_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    R0010363 (resized).jpg
    20240323_155910.jpg
    IMG_2505 (resized).jpeg
    thumbnail_IMG_1614 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1620 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1615 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1319 (resized).jpeg
    image000000(7) (resized).jpg
    Seagull (resized).png
    Little Island 3. png (resized).png
    Little Island 2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#389 4 years ago

Last week, in Sandbridge...
    Sandbridge0519b (resized).pngSandbridge0519b (resized).pngSandbridge0519a (resized).pngSandbridge0519a (resized).png

#391 4 years ago

That’s a truly scary sky, Darcy. I wish we could shift our humidity up your way for a while. (To be honest, I often wish away our humidity, but not always with such altruistic intent.)

11 months later
    #592 3 years ago

Ashford Castle on the shore of Lough Corrib in Ireland.

IMG_0094 (resized).pngIMG_0094 (resized).png

2 months later
    #825 3 years ago

This just struck me as so absurd. Acres of parking lot, but this guy has found his spot.

Wet Feet (resized).pngWet Feet (resized).png

8 months later
    #1716 2 years ago

I always heard it as:

Red skies at night, sailors’ delight.
    Red skies at morn, sailors be warned.

1 month later
    #1887 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

The previous post with the owl, reminded me of when my wife and I were living in Scotland for a time about 10 yrs ago.
    When visiting one of the local castles, we got to handle an owl as they were putting on a exhibition of birds of prey.

This fine fellow is Wexford, out hunting on the grounds of Ashford Castle, County Mayo Ireland.

Wexford 1 (resized).pngWexford 1 (resized).png

Wexford 2 (resized).pngWexford 2 (resized).png

Wexford 3 (resized).pngWexford 3 (resized).png

3 weeks later
    #1975 2 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

A couple more pictures of how they sand our beaches. They dump an incredible amount of sand and then load into the bags. Which are then spread onto the beach.

Here they dredge offshore for the sand for beach replenishment. They use barges and heavy equipment. I've never heard of bagging it, though. I guess trucking it in from inland makes a difference.

vabeach_fill (resized).jpgvabeach_fill (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #2293 2 years ago

snake skin (resized).pngsnake skin (resized).png

A startling discovery. It's a 7'+ (~2.25 meters) snake skin leading into a utility access into my home's crawlspace. I used to have some filler in that void, but I guess it got pushed into the crawl.

I think I know this guy, though. I saw a really long Eastern rat snake traversing my patio just a couple of days ago. I also saw him earlier while I was skimming the pool a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised if this is not the one that startled me hanging in a ligustrum bush near a walkway a year or so ago.

This guy is large for the species (an indigenous constrictor). He's been around for a while. I don't imagine I have a mice problem in my crawlspace at the moment.

The wife is not amused.

1 month later
    #2573 2 years ago

Wolf spider?

2 months later
    #2924 2 years ago

This guy (Big Foot, Wookie?) resides in a tree along a road not far from here. It's big, at least 8' long and easily 10'-15' high. He's been there for years.

Big Foot (resized).pngBig Foot (resized).png

1 month later
    #3202 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

The O'possum is back, I will call it Pogo, snooping around temporarily squatting at our outdoor back deck feral cat's home.

Why the apostrophe? Is he Irish?

#3205 2 years ago

Well played! Just out of curiosity, what are your current average temps, and what will they be in August? Do you folks ever see any snow?

1 week later
    #3247 2 years ago

I love surf fishing! What's biting?

1 month later
    #3449 2 years ago

Yeah, that cold front this past weekend was no fun. Here's to happier times:

September, bearing south toward Rudee Inlet. There's a pod of dolphins in the middle distance.

Dolphins off VB (resized).pngDolphins off VB (resized).png

3 weeks later
    #3598 1 year ago

That dart board is roached! I go with horse hair boards. If you talk to a tournament director at the close of an event you can usually get a lightly used board at a nice discount.

#3604 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Pigs bristle after 35 years of semi regular home use. We'd play every day for a couple years and something else would distract us for a year or two and then back into it.
    [quoted image]
    My fav was $2 a game, but they took the notes out of circulation here.
    You'd each fold a $2 note up as small as you could and poke it under a wire near your fav shot. sometimes there was 8 or more notes up for grabs for the first dart to pierce it.
    NotSGoodWithCoinsPunkin

Cool story. That board is done, too.

#3624 1 year ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Wish cell phones had better zoom.
    Any guesses as to aircraft type?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that from the Confederate Air Force collection? We have the Military Aviation Museum in town, so it’s not terribly unusual to see relics like that flying overhead.

#3647 1 year ago

The Cardinal is our state bird. We have at least three pairs on our property, including a nesting pair in the big camellia bush just outside my kitchen window. They are not migratory, so we get to enjoy their company year round.

I see osprey hunting out over the salt marsh fairly frequently, and the occasional eagle, blue herons, egrets, and a pair of wood ducks, too.

#3650 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

There's a pair of bush turkeys living down by the creek at the back. I see them in the driveway sometimes feeding off the grapevine but they are too shifty to get a photo of.

I had to look those up, as I was unfamiliar with them. Their head reminds me a little of a turkey vulture. Are they as wily as the wild turkeys we have here in North America?

2 weeks later
    #3814 1 year ago

Ocean Network Express. All of their cargo ships and containers are that color.

1 month later
    #4210 1 year ago

From a different East Coast:

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.22.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.22.21 PM (resized).png

#4223 1 year ago

Grilled Atlantic yellowfin with pineapple spears, and add a crisp German pilsner for the cook.

Ahi Steaks (resized).pngAhi Steaks (resized).png

Pils (resized).pngPils (resized).png

3 weeks later
    #4366 1 year ago

We took the granddaughter and one of her friends to see the dolphins this morning.

Dolphins (resized).pngDolphins (resized).png

Dolphins2 (resized).pngDolphins2 (resized).png

Dolphins3 (resized).pngDolphins3 (resized).png

8 months later
    #5242 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sputnik:

B-25 waist window pic.
    [quoted image]

How did you find yourself in a Mitchell Bomber?

2 months later
    #5456 10 months ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

My brain directly went to snapper as in the fish. Took me a while to see the turtle!

We have a good red snapper fishery here in coastal Virginia, too! I understand the confusion. We also have the common snapping turtle shown above, and the more fearsome alligator snapping turtle as well.

They’ll take most of your hand off if you aren’t careful!

IMG_0160 (resized).jpegIMG_0160 (resized).jpeg

IMG_0161 (resized).jpegIMG_0161 (resized).jpeg

On a particularly rainy weekend a year or two ago, I had one come up the bank from the tidal estuary out back. It was tucked away on the driveway near my car. They are scary bastards, and aggressive if provoked. (I didn’t get picks, sorry.)

#5457 10 months ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Good size snapper guarding the dock...

What would you guess, 10-12” shell length? It’s an old one for sure.

#5461 10 months ago

There's just no 'quit' in these guys. That's a very thorny bush beneath the feeder. I still don't know how he got up there without impaling himself! A week later, we caught a raccoon doing the same thing. The feeder had to go. The varmints don't seem as interested in the hummingbird feeder we have there now.

squirrel (resized).pngsquirrel (resized).png

#5469 9 months ago

I saw this traveling "art installation" a few years back.

Rubber ducky (resized).pngRubber ducky (resized).png

1 week later
    #5536 9 months ago

My wife was none too pleased with this guy enjoying a swim in our pool!

Snake (resized).pngSnake (resized).png

2 weeks later
    #5585 9 months ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

We went to the BMW Automobile Museum in Munich, Germany today. This place was awesome!

They have some cool stuff at the museum at their Spartanburg, SC plant, too! Are you taking European delivery of a new ride? I've wanted to do that, but my Z4 was built here in the States, so I did the factory delivery in SC instead of Munich. It's still a great experience.

BMWmuseum1 (resized).pngBMWmuseum1 (resized).png

BMWmuseum2 (resized).pngBMWmuseum2 (resized).png

BMWmuseum3 (resized).pngBMWmuseum3 (resized).png

#5588 9 months ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I had a Z4 built and was under the impression they're built exclusively in Graz, Austria. The SUVs are built in SC. Are you sure yours was built here? That sounds different from what my dealer told me.

You are correct that the later Z4s were built in Austria. The first gen Z4s (E85 convertible and E86 coupe) were all assembled at Spartanburg. Mine’s the Z4-M Coupe, so the engine was hand-built in Munich, but the car was assembled in SC. I ordered it to my specs, and picked it up at the BMW Performance Center near the factory. The cool thing is when you pick it up there, part of the package is you do some training with Indy car drivers and then get to drive the same model M as you just took delivery of on their private race track!

#5590 9 months ago

With all due respect, a Z4-M40i, while an excellent performer, is not an M car. The only Z4 Ms were built from 2006-2008. While BMW will add the M badging to models that have Motorsport add-ons, the true M models are ground-up built by their Motorsport division. For example, the M3 is not really a regular 3 series, the M5 is not a five series. The 06-08 Z4 M Convertible and the Z4 M Coupe were purpose built in small numbers using the left over parts from the E46 M3. I love the fact that every last one of them has a six speed manual transmission and rack and pinion steering!

#5592 9 months ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

My mistake. I thought the Z4 was an updated model of the Z3. Okay. Back to pictures.

That's true, but like the Z4, there was also a Z3M. The last two Z3M model years, 2001 and 2002, had the same hand built S54 engine as my car. If you find one, buy it now! Although they do have some known rear chassis issues, that can be corrected.

1 month later
    #5705 7 months ago

Pull a groin picking up one of those pallets of beer? In any case, best wishes, punkin.

1 week later
    #5730 7 months ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

Finally finished my cupola over my workshop. I think I made it a little too big but better too big than too small.

Nicely done! I think the scale is spot on. I can't quite make out your weathervane in that photo. Is it a deer?

2 months later
    #5902 4 months ago
    Quoted from jpinb:

On my way to a service call today, off the side of the road.
    [quoted image]

Adolescent golden eagle? We have mostly bald eagles here on the east coast, and ospreys, and assorted hawks.

2 weeks later
    #5965 4 months ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I truly wish i'd taken it up 15 years ago. Such a great game and like pinball, darts and pool it can be played with a beer and sledging is encouraged.

Thank you for the overview. I was unfamiliar with the game. It sounds like fun! It also sounds somewhat similar to a game I have played, boccee (sometimes called bocce balls).

#5967 4 months ago

I only watch curling once or twice every four years (during the Olympics.) I get what you are saying, though. The idea of the bias in the bowls is intriguing. It sounds like a game fairly easy to learn and very difficult to master. Thanks again!

4 weeks later
    #6037 3 months ago

Those are scary pictures, indeed! What’s the elevation of your house above mean high tide?

1 month later
    #6121 58 days ago

This surveillance shot is pretty sobering. Saturday a driver intentionally drove off the end of the Virginia Beach Fishing Pier. They crashed through several barriers as well as a fairly substantial guard rail. Due to conditions, the car is still on the bottom at this time. Side-scan sonar shows it came to rest on its roof. VBPD rescue divers accompanied by commercial divers from the ship building industry had a heavy lift barge onsite to attempt recovery, but the rip currents have just been too severe to proceed safely.

1 month later
    #6183 18 days ago

I surprised my wife with a spontaneous drive down to Little Island today. 16mph winds meant we had the beach more or less to ourselves.

Little Island (resized).pngLittle Island (resized).png

Little Island 2 (resized).pngLittle Island 2 (resized).png

Little Island 3. png (resized).pngLittle Island 3. png (resized).png

Well, except for this guy.

Seagull (resized).pngSeagull (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-picture-from-your-window?tu=zombywoof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.