• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

In my game room.
All the lights out. The only light is from my Gottlieb surf champ.
Just me and the game.
When there are those moments when no switches are hit and you can hear the ball roll over the wood. Then a spinner rip. Hit a star roll over, a drop target. Then the saucer.
It’s a perfect moment in time.
For just a minute, just a brief moment I’m 10 again. At the 7/eleven with my dad on a warm summer night.
Perfect.

#2 4 years ago

I try to replicate this everytime I play

#3 4 years ago

I think that's what draws me to machines of a certain era, a certain manufacture - the machines I was coming across and playing when I was young. Visually, audibly, even the feel of the buttons and levers, they imprint on our young impressionable brains.

The game is so tactile and you describe it well. Add in a particular set of chimes or bells, the sound of the score reels resetting, even the feel of the flipper buttons, the plunger. I spent a few minutes this week lining up the plunger of a recently acquired game so there was no friction or interference - just a smooth pull, strike, and a little bounce - just like I remember.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

you can hear the ball roll over the wood.

My only complaint about the one playfield protector I have, on Old Chicago. You hear the ball go up the shooter lane, then silence.

I've mentioned this on other threads and people think i'm nuts (oh, you may not have said it, but I know you think it lol).
I understand you can't hear the ball rolling around on METALLICA or some newer machines, but you've just described perfectly what it can take away from an EM or SS game. Those sounds are part of the experience. Just hearing the score reels clicking, the motor switches and relays and solenoids firing - there's a magic to it. For those few minutes I'm back at an arcade with my quarter on the glass waiting for my next chance.

#5 4 years ago

Yup, a perfect moment. Sometimes late at night I'll turn on all
of the machines in one of the game rooms and just marvel
at the artwork and colors.
Steve

#6 4 years ago

I love the image and moment you described. For a lot of us, that’s what pinball is all about. Moments in time.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

In my game room.
All the lights out. The only light is from my Gottlieb surf champ.
Just me and the game.
When there are those moments when no switches are hit and you can hear the ball roll over the wood. Then a spinner rip. Hit a star roll over, a drop target. Then the saucer.
It’s a perfect moment in time.
For just a minute, just a brief moment I’m 10 again. At the 7/eleven with my dad on a warm summer night.
Perfect.

Beautifully put- but for me the magic moment is at the completion of a full resto when you can take a minute to look at how it is ;from what it was; and, now how it was originally meant to be - providing an enormous level of pride and satisfaction.

#8 4 years ago

Best moments in pinball, turn all my games on and just bask in the glow of it all.

#9 4 years ago

Sometimes I wonder if I'm trying to recreate those moments from my youth - but those moments were invariably in a well lit arcade with a cacophony of bells, chimes, voices, beeps, and boops... elbow to elbow with those around me swearing at their machines.

Yet, like many in the thread above, my perfect moment is the darkened game room lit only by the pins and animated by a handful of 455's in the backglasses. They are the games of my youth, but not the environment.

I can step up to MY machine and know it will run well, and in the rare case it doesn't? That's OK! I've got a repair to do tomorrow! Which is another favorite moment - lifting the playfield, opening the backbox and getting hit with that smell - a mixture of ozone, coil dust, old wood and that general 50 year old funk that wafts out of the innards.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm trying to recreate those moments from my youth

I don’t think think there is anything wrong with recreating moments from your youth. If it makes you happy, just enjoy it and don’t second guess!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

I can step up to MY machine and know it will run well, and in the rare case it doesn't? That's OK! I've got a repair to do tomorrow! Which is another favorite moment - lifting the playfield, opening the backbox and getting hit with that smell - a mixture of ozone, coil dust, old wood and that general 50 year old funk that wafts out of the innards.

Exactly! Funny, I know the smell of all my machines. You could blindfold me and lead me to coin doors. I would know which is which.

#12 4 years ago

I've been to a couple of pinball shows where they either turned off all of the
lights in the room or at least dimmed them.

One was the show Tim Arnold and Herb Silvers put on in Las Vegas
and the other was Pacific Pinball Expo. Both were many years ago
but a lasting memory. Sure miss P-P Expo as it was close and by far
the best pinball event I've even been to. I think there were 6 or 7.
Steve

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I don’t think think there is anything wrong with recreating moments from your youth. If it makes you happy, just enjoy it and don’t second guess!

Introspection and retrospection can be good though... as I think about it, I realize that I'm distilling those moments from my youth into those components that make me happy and filtering out the dissatisfiers (distracting noise, machines with issues, loss of quarters, that guy flipping next to you with a lit cigarette in this hand...)

#14 4 years ago

Sometimes its just the game, other times its the thrill.
Indeed the sounds grab hold of one.

Ill add smell. Playing by the ocean shore....That smell of salt air.
Different in the North East Atlantic.
Or the smell of Cotton Candy and Coppertone.
The summer air.

When I travel to the places of my youth....sometimes the smell opens a flood gate of memories.
Add Pinball, and Music of the day, and I am transported.....

Great Moment for Op, and all of us to share!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-perfect-moment- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.