• 420 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Atari_Daze
  • Topic is favorited by 99 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this thread still worthwhile?”

• This thread is past it's prime and is now boring me to tears! It no longer provides useful information. It's time to call it a day and close this thread down! 0 votes
  • While it may not be exciting or fun as other threads on Pinside, I still read this thread and am glad it is still being updated. There is still good information here and I pick up some helpful tips along the way. Keep it going! 48 votes
    96%
  • Beats Me! (Insert Scooby Doo "HUH?" sound here) 2 votes
    4%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200909-182418_Chrome (resized).jpg
DSCF0083 (resized).JPG
DSCF0079 (resized).JPG
DSCF0077 (resized).JPG
DSCF0027 (resized).JPG
DSCF0026 (resized).JPG
PSE Warning Label (resized).png
Three of the Fantastic Four at Hotrods Old Vail (resized).png
Flash #1 of Fantastic Four (resized).png
DSCF4613 (resized).JPG
DSCF4612 (resized).JPG
DSCF4610 (resized).JPG
DSCF4568 (resized).JPG
DSCF4580 (resized).JPG
DSCF4568 (resized).JPG
DSCF4556 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calla76759.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#380 4 years ago

Great thread @Pecos! I just read virtually the whole thing top to bottom- I'm not an operator but just a pinhead who finds it fascinating to see how you make this work as a business. And it is a lot of work! Congratulations on keeping pinball in the public eye.

Regarding your rival vending company sales manager: that was gutsy of you to take him to lunch and talk about the market. The fact that he feels threatened by you is a sign that you are gaining traction. You're able to hustle sufficiently to keep your pins working, which is more than he can say for even his video game! You mentioned to him that some of your customers would be interested in video games--I think you were sharing that information for his benefit. But realistically, you could operate video games in your venues far better than he could. And hey, it could really improve your earnings at existing locations--you have put so much work into Hotrods Old Vail that perhaps you could add a crowd-pleaser like Ms. Pac Man or Galaga, and get some nice returns. There could be real value also in providing a game for non-pinball people: if the wife is playing pinball and the husband wants to leave, it benefits you to place another machine there that can occupy his time.

Quoted from Pecos:

We all know that pinballs do not make a lot of money on route and they are a pain to maintain, costing valuable tech time for companies only looking at the bottom line. I thought a company that size wouldn't try to shut me out of the market. I won't tell you what he said, I don't have his permission, but needless to say, we didn't agree at all. It turned out to be a complete waste of time and money. I did learn something. The food doesn't taste nearly as good when you are having a business lunch that turns sour.

FWIW, I don't think you have any actual obligation to keep confidential what your business rival said to you (especially when he was rebuffing your offer). But you are discreet and don't want to overshare, which absolutely makes sense.

Random thought: It is awful that you have to drive out to the location to learn that your machines need maintenance or, worse, are unplugged. It's not actually the 1970's anymore, notwithstanding these great pins. It would be great if there were a cheap coin-tracking device you could put into a game to give you audit data about when people play. You could see how many repeat customers you have, what the hot times are, whether the game is broken or not earning, etc. Theoretically it could just be a simple device piggybacking off the coin mech with some USB storage in it. If it had wifi, it could even send you the data on a daily basis. Perhaps there's an android app that could do this- you could just put an old $40 android phone in the cabinet, powered, wifi connected, with a simple connection to the coin mech, to report audit data to you over the internet. But that's just me daydreaming.

Also interesting about the silicone rings in Black Knight. It would be great to have that reliability in all your games, since broken rubbers are a frequent issue. But they might be too out-of-place on an EM, assuming they're not white.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1,059.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calla76759.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-pecos-diary-my-journey-to-pinball-operator?tu=calla76759 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.