(Topic ID: 202519)

A Pair of Balls is All You Need (2-Ball MB Fans)!

By Frippertron

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbaumle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_0033 (resized).JPG
100_0185 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

I'm here to talk about the fat kid in dodge ball. The lowly 2 ball multiball. I realized awhile ago that I really enjoyed the simpler mb. It's definitely easier to control and most importantly, it is easier to learn and to teach ball control with a pair instead of a set. I came to think of all the great games with 2-ball multi and wanted to start a thread where people can mention what their favorite 2-ball games are. Why you like them? Any stories about them? Whatever you feel like. For me, it could be any number of games but Pinbot takes the cake for me. When I was a kid, just visualizing the pinballs being his eyeballs and collecting that solar value; nothing was cooler! So, what do you guys think?

#2 2 years ago

While I enjoyed playing Pinbot in the arcade and locking the balls in his eyes, I personally think three is the magic number, probably because my pinball skills are just so-so and my three ball multiballs quickly become two ball mutliballs.

#3 2 years ago

I like that you have fewer obstacles (other balls) in the way of your shots and it's easier to trap up. Some are definitely more enjoyable than others; it depends on the game's layout and ruleset. For example, Mustang's Drag Race multiball is typically more fun for me than IM's Whiplash multiball or MET's Grave multiball and you have more control so it usually lasts longer.

In general, most 2-ball multiballs seem to end fairly quickly for me though. Fathom's is probably the most challenging to maintain amongst my games.

#4 2 years ago

Most of the good games are only two ball multi!

I love the pressure on the two ball. No safety net with a third ball. Do all the work to start a multi and then screw up and drain in 2 sec, lol.

#5 2 years ago

Banzai Run has a sublime two ball multiball. After shooting one of the balls into the saucer you then get a certain amount of time to complete King Of The Hill with just one ball before the other ball is released again. Superb.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Most of the good games are only two ball multi!
I love the pressure on the two ball. No safety net with a third ball. Do all the work to start a multi and then screw up and drain in 2 sec, lol.

That's Fathom as there's no ball save. Multiballs can easily end almost as soon as they start.

Trapping up a ball and hitting the (MB) activated 2X spinner with the other though is a sweet feeling every time you can pull it off!

#7 2 years ago

I just love the older style I guess. Taxi has one of the great multiballs.

#8 2 years ago

And you gotta love the quick multiball in Funhouse!

#9 2 years ago

Mystery Castle is a really cool rare game that passed through my hands twice. Has a two ball MB that is started by activating a mode called DooM that's followed by a scream "ahh DoooooM" and completed with dancing skeletons. Space issues forced sale but definitely would like to have one again someday.

#10 2 years ago

Creature From The Black Lagoon is an awesome 2 ball Multiball!

#11 2 years ago

Creech might be the quintessential 2-ball! I also really like Sorcerer and Genesis, Diner, TX, and Robowar!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Creech might be the quintessential 2-ball! I also really like Sorcerer and Genesis, Diner, TX, and Robowar!

Another Sorcerer fan here.

#13 2 years ago

yeah getting a super on creech is such a good felling, had one on Friday at a knockout tourney.

and I rather have a 2 ball on GNR than the 6, way easier to control

#14 2 years ago

Getting the Super Jackpot on CFTBL is probably the ultimate two-ball MB shot--it ain't easy! Whirlwind needs a mention--if you screw up three-ball MB and don't hit a jackpot shot, you get a chance to start a two-ball multiball mode--very cool idea.

#15 2 years ago

I know I really like Power ride on RCT. It is one of the best 2 ball multi ball modes I have ever played.

#16 2 years ago

Embryon. Man, I should have never sold it. Granted, there were no special rules for the multiball. But just accomplishing it was a joy.

#17 2 years ago

Have to agree about CFTBL. It's two ball multi-ball is a lot of fun and requires skill, control and decision making... flailing is useless. It can be frustrating and short at times. But if you get used to making the MB restart shot you can make it last longer. The long left ramp to the bowl is only accessible when in the multi-ball movie mode. Working with one ball while another is in the left ramp / bowl is great...the ball goes up the entrance then down the ramp, makes a 360 running back up the play field and then comes back down into the bowl.
Its also a lot of fun to throw the two balls up there at the same time. Then there is the short right ramp that you can sometimes hit over and over with that special "Hollywood" music that is only on when in multi ball. Once you find the Creature you have the Hologram on and its a lot of fun working to save the girl, get the jackpot, then get both balls up in the bumpers to activate Super Jackpot and then cash in. I just did this the other day for the first time ever (but drained both balls right after).

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Embryon. Man, I should have never sold it.

Yeah Dave I tell myself that now and again...

#19 2 years ago

Fast playing games can be frenetic with just 2-balls. Mystery Castle's Doom multiball comes to mind.

#20 2 years ago

Man these clubs are getting weirder and weirder...

In all seriousness, I just picked up Night Moves and I think the 2 ball multi ball in Night Moves as well as it's partner Caribbean Cruise, is just the perfect finesse these cocktails needed to be enjoyable and not total crap!
The smaller playfield and harsh drains make maintaining their multi ball very challenging! Caribbean Cruise is very generous with multi ball, probably because it drains almost before it even starts'

#21 2 years ago

Creature from the Black Lagoon love the left ramp diverter into the whirpool to try to spell " Creature " . I added
The Avengers because it has like at least "6" 2 ball multi-ball when you qualify ( Versus ) modes . Awesome .

100_0185 (resized).JPG

100_0033 (resized).JPG

#22 2 years ago

I'm trying to think of a better 2-ball multiball than Creature's but I can't, that one's just so good.

#23 2 years ago

I can't believe that nobody mentioned Xenon yet. Probably the easiest game to get MB on. I had the pleasure of emailing back ad forth with Greg Kmiec back in 2009 when I restored one. I can't even remember how we connected. He told me some interesting facts about Xenon. MB was added later in the design to make the game more fun. The prototype had a black plastic ramp. My PC crashed and I lost his email.

I also learned about his hidden red posts on his games, he added because he wasn't permitted to put his name on the PF. The red post on Xenon is under the plastic around the left pop bumper.

#24 2 years ago

AFM Martian Multiball

#25 2 years ago

Cftbl and taxi are tops on my list of two ball multiball right now.

#26 2 years ago

Radical has a decent 2 ball multiball, especially when you pinch one someone else has locked rather than earning it yourself.

#27 2 years ago

When I saw the thread title, immediately thought Pin*bot. CFTBL is also a great one with the whirlpool.

However, probably the best start of a two ball multiball, is BSD mist MB.

#28 2 years ago

Earthshaker and Whirlwind have pretty much identical quick 2-ball mulitballs, they're nice and all--shoot the ramp for 1 million.

But the real delight is when you're so bad at playing, you get the opportunity to restart the main multiball: Aftershock in Earthshaker and Cellar Multiball in Whirlwind. You get all the rules and action of the main multiball, but with 33.3% fewer balls. If you want that jackpot now, you really have to earn it. Good stuff.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside