3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gott72
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8C9B79A4-C5E1-4474-8BB8-C125187591C4 (resized).jpeg
    A494D42A-F9DE-4F25-A3A1-CF4EE1160631 (resized).jpeg
    47025C51-CBAA-45F6-83B5-4152BB5E31D4 (resized).jpeg
    Override Stop (resized).jpeg
    Ratchet Spring (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi guys, I posted this over in "Seeking Parts" but thought I'd try here too, as it's probably more appropriate as its own thread.

Two questions related to fixing an AS Relay (the mini-stepper) on my 1972 Gottlieb Jungle: One question is about proper function of a part, and the other is about seeking a different part:

Thanks!

1. Any guidance on the function and position the "override stop" (part A-8738)? Is it supposed to hold up the ratchet spring (which would mean the override stop would be at an angle when you screw it in, I think), or is it supposed to limit the movement of the armature (in which case I would think it would be straight up and down (perpendicular to the armature plate)?

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out if it's supposed to sit essentially perpendicular to the armature, or if it's suppose to be at an angle so as to limit movement of the ratchet spring.

Override Stop (resized).jpegOverride Stop (resized).jpeg

2. Anybody have a good condition (part #8740) ratchet spring (new or used?) for the AS Relay? The one I have is all bent up and I need another one if you can source it.

Ratchet Spring (resized).jpgRatchet Spring (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago
    47025C51-CBAA-45F6-83B5-4152BB5E31D4 (resized).jpeg47025C51-CBAA-45F6-83B5-4152BB5E31D4 (resized).jpeg
    #3 3 years ago

You can see from the diagram #jeffc posted where the override stop goes. I just want to emphasize that it is not supposed to touch or stop the armature. The cradle arms (drive pawl) at the end of the armature need to fully engage the gear wheel (ratchet), otherwise the stepper will not work correctly.

The override stop is just supposed to prevent the cradle from digging too far into the gear wheel after making a full engagement. It's really difficult to set this stop properly on AS relays that have a printed circuit board on both sides of the relay.

If you can't get the override stop adjusted exactly, just make sure it's not touching the armature when the cradle arms are fully engaged with the ratchet.

- TimMe

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from TimMe:

You can see from the diagram #jeffc posted where the override stop goes. I just want to emphasize that it is not supposed to touch or stop the armature. The cradle arms (drive pawl) at the end of the armature need to fully engage the gear wheel (ratchet), otherwise the stepper will not work correctly.
    The override stop is just supposed to prevent the cradle from digging too far into the gear wheel after making a full engagement. It's really difficult to set this stop properly on AS relays that have a printed circuit board on both sides of the relay.
    If you can't get the override stop adjusted exactly, just make sure it's not touching the armature when the cradle arms are fully engaged with the ratchet.
    - TimMe

Thanks, Tim and good to hear from you. So it appears it is fairly "vertical" (perpendicular to the armature), but not touching it, even when the armature is in the "up" position.

9 months later
    #5 2 years ago

I've been playing with my AS RELAY in my King Kool for months, on and off.

I've replaced most parts, resoldered the disk, adjusted the spring, the switches, the tension, etc etc etc.

ONE PROBLEM persists: I get TWO score for every 10-point hit. The green-lit dial spins two places continuously, missing the proper scoring and doubling everything.... I take the AS RELAY out, try clicking the lever, it spins one place--perfect! I put it into the game, I get TWO spaces, every hit.

What is this? What am I missing? Is there something else in the game doubling the score?? I have been so confused. The relay seems pretty well tuned, regardless!

#6 2 years ago

This relay requires precision tuning. It is almost impossible to actuate it by hand and get the same precise results as a pulse from the game.

Your drive pawl is clicking more than one tooth on the drive gear when it is being pulsed by the game. IF you have adjusted everything else per the instructions, take apart the relay and check for wear at the hinge where the red arrow is pointing. Any wear on the frame or armature will cause inconsistent results even if the relay is adjusted per the instructions.

See wear on armature plate below. This little bit of wear caused the same condition as you describe and could not be compensated for by adjustment.

8C9B79A4-C5E1-4474-8BB8-C125187591C4 (resized).jpeg8C9B79A4-C5E1-4474-8BB8-C125187591C4 (resized).jpegA494D42A-F9DE-4F25-A3A1-CF4EE1160631 (resized).jpegA494D42A-F9DE-4F25-A3A1-CF4EE1160631 (resized).jpeg
    #7 2 years ago

Try adjusting the override stop so that overall travel of the realy is less. I believe it is open too wide and jumping a tooth..a very common issue. I used to hate these, but bit the bullet and spent time taking them apart and cleaning. Thank God they are removeable. Most of the time, they can be cleaned and adjusted without needing new parts.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

Try adjusting the override stop so that overall travel of the realy is less. I believe it is open too wide and jumping a tooth..a very common issue. I used to hate these, but bit the bullet and spent time taking them apart and cleaning. Thank God they are removeable. Most of the time, they can be cleaned and adjusted without needing new parts.

THANKS! I was spending a day or two trying to get my head around this.... then I realized:

IT ROTATES ON TWO SCREWS!!!

At that point, I GOT IT. I quickly loosened screws, lowered the stop, retightened, and now--PERFECT!!
    My AS RELAY (which the original owner unplugged because it wasn't working) finally functions properly after tons of work replacing parts, desoldering things, adjusting, etc etc.

Problem now: the last light isn't lighting up... still some work to go, and I just desoldered that darn lamp and disk connection.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-pain-in-the-as and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.