Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by unigroove
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shit_pickle.png
    tzklock5.jpg
    tzclock3.jpg
    tzclock2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballsmith.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from csprings74:

I would like to address another form of "copyright infringement" that was mentioned in the very first post… Mods. From what I remember from product design legal 101, and also from speaking with a patent attorney to try to get a business name copyrighted, the standard is, how common and publicly available are the "components" about which you are trying to share information?
    Whether those components are words, or the product itself (like a mod) as long as the knowledge is part of the public domain, i.e. knowledge of electronics, knowledge of soldering, working with parts that are commonly available on the public market, there is no infringement on copyright to duplicate something like this. A perfect example is a company that takes a toy that can be bought from many retail stores, adds LEDs to it, and specifies where to place it on a particular pinball machine. Legally, they do not have exclusive rights to make that mod (unless they have obtained a patent for it.)
    One pretty common example would be the Merlin mod for MM. That exact Merlin toy can be purchased online, and either making it yourself, or publicly sharing the information about how to add a color changing "crystal ball" is not proprietary. There are several people making this mod and selling it on eBay. However, this shouldn't preclude anyone here sharing information about how to make it themselves. Neither the toy or the knowledge of how to make it is proprietary.
    I have seen some posts/videos which share information on how to make a unique mod, but I have also noticed that if a major company regularly stocks and resells that item, there seems to be a general attitude that this is taboo. Perhaps, there exists a mindset that it is an ethical breach to share how to make your own out of loyalty to the company that makes mass quantities of it? What about the pocketbook of the end user? Many of these mods can be made for a few dollars, but "the big company" sells it for $150. Is it unreasonable to make your own and/or share how to make it rather than pay an enormous amount to someone else to get it? (Obviously, this is not directed to people who don't have the time or aptitude to make it themselves, and are happy to pay someone else to make it for them.) What's the general consensus about this, especially the issue of posting instructions on how to "copy" a commercially available mod that does not have a patent?

I ran into this problem with the TZ piano mod I was making, but since the original piano mod was made from a McDonald's toy, I was allowed to continue. Also received permission from the original manufacturer as long as it didn't look like theirs.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I don't know where to begin , but anybody interested in intellectual property issues should completely ignore the above babbling. (I can come up with no better polite word for this nonsense.) "From what I remember from product design legal 101, and also from speaking with a patent attorney to try to get a business name copyrighted, the standard is, how common and publicly available are the "components" about which you are trying to share information?" --funniest thing I've read in a while. First, you can't "copyright a business name." And most patent attorneys know squat about trademark issues, although they're happy to charge you for tm filings.
    There is no issue with buying toys off shelf, modding them, and reselling them. None. And I have seen such posts here. Forexample, the sword topper for Totan. People sell them with colored LEDs for around $150+. The sword cost less than $10. Source has been posted here, along with how to add LEDs for around $15 in parts. And it's all good. However, making a repro of something like the TZ piano or an AFM martian as part of a mod is a no-no, because those are copyrighted works. You are free to mod the originals, post instructions on how to mod the originals, etc.
    Didn't catch Bisch's followup on copyright/backups from a year ago, but yes, you overstated what you're allowed under current law. wizzards had it more correct. And csprings, I suggest taking a deep breath, and going back and rwading to fin out exactly what a patent is and what it isn't.
    Apologies for the pissy attitude, but it really annoys me when people post all sorts of 'legal' assessments and conclusions when they have no idea what they are talking about. ("Talking to a patent attorney about copyrighting my business name" -- gotta remember that one!)

The original piano mod was made from a McDonald's toy, but the one's that followed the first were made from molds of it. That's a big no-no too.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Good luck on that!
    The TZ piano has a 2001 Disney copyright.
    This makes duplication and modification unauthorized without permission from Disney.

Can you imagine the absolute hell it would be to get copyright permission from Disney in the first place? Wouldn't be worth it one bit regardless. That Disney, man. They'll get you.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

That's my point!
    A certain pinball parts company, whose name I won't mention, owes Disney 13 years worth of royalties.

It's been 13 years since that movie came out... What a ride those past 13 years have been.

#53 9 years ago

Here's some pictures of the original McDonald's toy's transformation into a pinball accessory. The only thing that has really changed is that a rubber piano roll was added.

tzclock2.jpgtzclock2.jpg
    tzclock3.jpgtzclock3.jpg

tzklock5.jpgtzklock5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballsmith.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-note-about-copyrights?tu=pinballsmith and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.