Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

beforeandafter_(resized).jpg
playfield-pic_(resized).jpg
bad_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello all,
I purchased a HGOT pin a couple weeks ago with a decent playfield, but right in the front was a pretty bad spot. After playing it all week, I decided I had to do something about it. I read quite a few posts on the best ways to handle it. I'm a newbie, so taking everything apart and stripping it all down wasn't an option for me.

Here's a picture of the spot that was driving me crazy....
bad_(resized).jpgbad_(resized).jpg

After reading a few posts, it seemed like Createx airbrush paint was the best way to go, so I went with that. But, I used a tiny brush, not any airbrushes and free-hand painted the whole thing.

Here's the before and after pic.
beforeandafter_(resized).jpgbeforeandafter_(resized).jpg

Whole playfield pic:
playfield-pic_(resized).jpgplayfield-pic_(resized).jpg

And here's a video of what it looks like when the pin is turned on.

Matching the colors and the "ON TOUR" letters was the toughest part, but I am pretty happy with the way that it turned out. It's not perfect, but for my first crack at a playfiedl touchup/minor resto, it's good enough for me. Plus, I don't have to look at those crappy spots any more.

Now, how to finish it???.....
I've read there are a ton of different ways to finish or protect the pin. I was thinking of going the Mylar route. Any suggestions out there???

Thanks, and I hope my resto doesn't make anyone cringe too hard!

#2 7 years ago

Nice job. Wax the playfield and buff it before you apply the mylar.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from fabes23:

Thanks, and I hope my resto doesn't make anyone cringe too hard!

If it makes you happy that's all that matters. It was probably a good learning experience for next time.

#4 7 years ago

Looks good! I'd go with Mylar after a wax, as joe2012 said. If you want to strip things down and clearcoat down the road, the wax will help the mylar come off more easily. Some folks spot clear but from what I've read, those tend to chip.

Did you modify the Createx at all before hand painting or just use it straight?

#5 7 years ago

Congratulations on your repairs. I love it.

Yves

#6 7 years ago

Great job.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Did you modify the Createx at all before hand painting or just use it straight?

I went straight on and used a hair dryer in between coats.

#8 7 years ago

What kind of wax should I use? Suggestions please.

#9 7 years ago

BLITZ!! Looks Great.

#10 7 years ago

In the home environment I would not put Mylar down. Keeping it clean and waxed will hold up the job if you did it right. If you ever decide to clear coat it and you remove the Mylar, the chances of taking your paint job and more of the original paint away is extremely high. Wax it, put a shiny new pinball in and enjoy.
Nice job on the paint job.

#11 7 years ago

Hey it looks way better than it did! "Cosmetically appealing for play" is a fine condition to have a game in. I had a very similar experience

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-clearcoat-a-playfield-without-stripping-underside#post-2011160

I agree with holding off on the mylar until the field is cleared. Big risk of loosing much of the graphics if anyone tries to remove it later.

Good job.

#12 7 years ago

So, if you don't recommend mylar, then where should I go from here?... I'm guessing....

-Make sure all paint is nice and dried
-Clean with Novus 2
-Blitz wax & buff
-play!

Sound about right?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from fabes23:

So, if you don't recommend mylar, then where should I go from here?... I'm guessing....
-Clean with Novus 2
-Blitz wax & buff
-play!
Sound about right?

Exactly!!!!

You may consider clearing the playfield in the future.

Yves

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Exactly!!!!
You may consider clearing the playfield in the future.
Yves

At some point, I'd love to take this thing apart and get the correct stenciling and do this up professionally (or pay one of the masters to do it), but for now this is good. I feel if I clear coat it, then I'll never get around to re-restoring it.

I'll just see how this goes for now.

#15 7 years ago

Nice work....clean, wax......and

#16 7 years ago

Nice job. That looks really great. Looks like a fun game to play....Meadowlark Lemon and everyone brings back a lot of memories from growing up watching those guys play.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from fabes23:

-Clean with Novus 2
-Blitz wax & buff
-play!
Sound about right?

If you already cleaned it before you painted I would just apply a coat of wax or 2. Blitz would be good to use.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from fabes23:

At some point, I'd love to take this thing apart and get the correct stenciling and do this up professionally (or pay one of the masters to do it), but for now this is good. I feel if I clear coat it, then I'll never get around to re-restoring it.
I'll just see how this goes for now.

I think you're right. While it does look good if you want to clear coat it you probably want to get it better. Wax it, mylar, play. You could even watch for a reproduction down the road if you were so inclined.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-newbies-harlem-globetrotters-pf-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.