IMG_4614.JPG
IMG_4613.JPG
Tron_video_#_1_001.JPG
Tron_Pro_LE_2D_arrived_020.JPG
Tron_mods_3_010.JPG
Tron_mods_3_007.JPG
Tron_mods_3_003.JPG
Tron_mods_3_001.JPG
There are 1,115 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 23.
#201 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I was comparing to what i have and Hallmark What i have is what i linked.

That's why I said "just to be clear" - so no one would mistake what you posted.

#202 11 years ago

I have a NOS 3D trans for tron that im willing to sell.

#203 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Being a "flop" commercially doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad game, and commercial success is a much easier thing to measure.

Yep. To be clear, I'm not referring to the game itself (Transformers), but rather the sales of the game.

#204 11 years ago

100 in the new run. 50 going overseas.

Just bought mine Make that one less

#205 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I don't understand. If Stern has a popular machine and can sell 100 in a day...why not make 500 or more? Why does there have to be a limit. If he can sell 2,000...why not make em'?

Easy answer here.
You say your are making 500 more...what's the rush the rush to buy one? Result is Stern is sitting on inventory. Sitting on inventory does not generate money...sales do.

So you say your making only 100...and they all sell out fast. Keeping the production #'s low results in impulsive purchases (ie: I better buy one or I'll miss the boat, like last time).

That has been their whole concept with these LE's all along. Now your having to pay a premium for a full featured game, and paying big money to have a metal tag on your game that says what number yours is, along with the mentality...I better get one before they sell out. Look how limited Avatar LE and Transformers LE are.....I could still order one from my distributor and it would ship from Stern. Doesn't sound too limited to me?

#206 11 years ago

Maybe they should have a buy two get one free promo have to buy one TF LE and one Avatar LE to get one Tron pro free.

#207 11 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

.I could still order one from my distributor and it would ship from Stern. Doesn't sound too limited to me?

On that logic they make 5 and only 4 people buy them and one is still there when you call to order so they are not Limited?

#208 11 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

You say your are making 500 more...what's the rush the rush to buy one? Result is Stern is sitting on inventory. Sitting on inventory does not generate money...sales do

I'm not saying you have to make all 500. You know the machine is popular. It sold out once. Now, instead of just making another 100, you take pre-orders. If 200 are ordered, you make 200, if 600, 600. Why leave money on the table if they could have sold 300. They sold 100 in a day. Just sayin'.

#209 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'm not saying you have to make all 500. You know the machine is popular. It sold out once. Now, instead of just making another 100, you take pre-orders. If 200 are ordered, you make 200, if 600, 600. Why leave money on the table if they could have sold 300. They sold 100 in a day. Just sayin'.

Take pre orders and make what makes sense if you get 100 pre orders they could easily make and sell 150

I'm not sure what there discount on qty for pieces are though I think they probably start getting a better purchase price on materials at a qty of 100 or more

#210 11 years ago

Any idea if they are using nos play fields or making new ones? I would imagine that the clear coat on the nos would be fully 'cured' by now.

#211 11 years ago

It all depends on what they farm out to other companies for parts supply. Certain things you can only get in certain quantities. My guess is they can only get orders of ramps in 100 at a time, pop bumpers at groups of 1000, and so on and so forth. Chances are the 100 number of new pins made makes sense because while some parts quantities they could have made for the new run were right around that mark(including previous overruns), the new batches of stuff they could just keep for warranty/spare parts.

My guess is that the reason the cabinet art is decaled instead of screen printed is due to setup cost and at 100, it doesn't work out per pin. But, with decals, the price per pin might be slightly higher, but no setup cost.

Basically just a whole bunch of number crunching went on, and now there are 100 "new" pins.

#212 11 years ago

Just because they have the potential capacity to make more pins, ie floor space, doesn't mean they currently have the capacity, or that it is worth it. There are other things to consider, like personnel. Perhaps 35 or so pins a day is the most they can make with the current number of workers. To make 50 pins a day, which is what I understand maximum capacity is, might take an entire second shift.
Making 100 pins probably takes a short week like one with Columbus day. Half day to prep, set up and get all the parts in place, three days to assemble, and another half day to finish and clean up. Just guessing here.

#213 11 years ago

That makes sense, too. Chances are they only hire everyone on when they have a full production run to do. They probably just have 25% of the full capacity staff as full-timers and with those, they can pump out 100 in two weeks.

Or something to that effect.

#214 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Lets hope the PF's are not 2nd's I have full light cycles if people want them. about 20 of each.

I want 2 !! Do you have a Pict- of them ?

#215 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I hear ya..but if they don't put a number to it..there is no rush. Sterns trend has been limited editions...get one or you won't to increase instant pre-sales. To put a low number like 100 being made, results in a mad rush that will sell out.

However in reality who's to say behind the table they are "really only making 100"???

These aren't numbered. I'm not saying this is the case...but it's possible and there is nothing wrong with it. Gary could very well send the same form letter to all of his distributors and say something to the extend of "Based off the popularity of the Stern Tron Pinball, we have decided to make a small run of 100 machines, we have allocated a small number of 10 per distributor at this special one time run. Please contact us as soon as possible to place your order." However the catch to this is that "if" they were to send this letter to 30 distributors. The reality is that they are really could potentially make 300+ more TRON's. It all matters on how many distributors they have world wide.

The end result it's all about hype and getting one while we do this last run. I think it all matters on the pre-orders. I mean if they are not running them until October and it's early September right now, Stern has plenty of time to know how many they need to make whether it be 100 or 1000, based off of their pre-sales here in September.

My thoughts on the hype.

#216 11 years ago

anywhere other than JJ or Trent to get one?

#217 11 years ago

http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=403292&bbat=43419&inline&fullsize

I'd buy one of those translites!

Chicks in tight suits - winning! Or are they body painted?

Dave.

#218 11 years ago

Yeah I was looking to buy one also but they are gone. Oh well I guess they lost a potential buyer

#219 11 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Yeah I was looking to buy one also but they are gone. Oh well I guess they lost a potential buyer

I was on the fence about getting one. Then I found out the NIB price of this latest batch was $350 more than the last batch in March...

#220 11 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I was on the fence about getting one. Then I found out the NIB price of this latest batch was $350 more than the last batch in March...

Who did you get a quote from, Robert? I got 2 quotes that I believe were below the last run.

#221 11 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Who did you get a quote from, Robert? I got 2 quotes that I believe were below the last run.

It was the same distributor that a lot of people here use.

I've PM'd the specifics.

#222 11 years ago

OK the Trons all sold in no time. How about a short run of Iron Man next?

#223 11 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

It's basically the same factory that used to pump out considerably more units back in the DE and SEGA days.

To be totally fair, it's the same building, but they have completely redone the line. I've toured the factory multiple times throughout the years - the first time when they were running TSPP, and most recently with Avatar, and they completely redid the factory floor to better take advantage of labor with running less machines.

My first visit, they were running a ton of pins and also a bunch of vids. They are just doing pinball now.

Point is - they refigured it, and it really can't be brought up to the same level of production as it used to be. It's much safer this way for them, and less wasteful of labor when they send a machine or two of a different type down the line. When they were doing Avatar, there was a few machines here and there in the middle of it that were other titles. It was interesting to see them like that.

Quoted from smokedog:

Tron is not making anymore money on route than any other game.

Sadly, I've heard that Tron is a complete bust on route. I know someone that had one out who toldd me that it was making less than 25% of the other machines at the exact same location. He said he pulled it... and kept it because the gameplay was so great.

I can say from what I've played of the game, I don't think that it is just a walk-up and have fun game. I spent a while trying to figure out the rules, and four games in as a guy who plays regularly, I still didn't really get what I was shooting for. That isn't a knock on the game - as I said, I've got one waiting in storage for additional space at my house - but I think it may be a problem for it earning on route. Like NBA, the coolest feature is something you don't know is going to happen until it happens... and that doesn't help entice the "first quarter".

#224 11 years ago

Then I found out the NIB price of this latest batch was $350 more than the last batch in March...

That's pretty normal for later runs. The price goes up because they produce much less parts which costs much more. I believe the final run of Spider-Man was more than $500 more than the previous run of Spider-Man...

#225 11 years ago

Wowwww.....
(Sorry for the late reply guys.)
And Gary said TRON was done for good during his rambling speech at CAX...

#226 11 years ago

What do you recommend to cleanup the disk and keep it grippy

#227 11 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

I know when I bought my Tron several months ago, the salesmen at the distributor I deal with
tried really hard to steer me away from Tron and onto one of the Transformers LE's that they had
there. While I was there playing Tron he asked me several times if I'd put in any time on TFLE and
told me he could give me a really good price on one.

Who were you dealing with?

#228 11 years ago

Clean the disc with rubbing alcohol will keep it grippy.

#229 11 years ago

Sorry to hear you are not getting one Robert. It's a great game that is not leaving my collection anytime soon. You can always come to my place and play it but most of the people who do that eventually buy one anyway. I can claim at least 3 people that had to get one after playing mine.

Bite the bullet and get one.

#230 11 years ago

Yeah it's pretty typical for reruns to cost more than the original run. SM's last run was close to $5k I believe. I wouldn't take anything Stern says as far as machines being done as gospel. Not saying TRON isn't done after this, but I never would of believed they would rerun LOTR and they did when they did the LE, so anything is possible. Of course the next run of TRON could be a lot more expensive.

#231 11 years ago

Yep, I love my original run Tron. I'm glad I managed to scoop mine up before all the crazy fuss and shortage of them happened!

#232 11 years ago

So, they're all gone already?

#233 11 years ago
Quoted from PeteM:

So, they're all gone already?

I think you can still get them from distributors. The distributors have probably bought all that Stern will make, but I seriously doubt they have sold them all.

#234 11 years ago

I've got a Tron left if you want it. Call (570) 847-6366

Also a AC/DC BIB, if anyone is looking for one.

Thanks

#235 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I think you can still get them from distributors. The distributors have probably bought all that Stern will make, but I seriously doubt they have sold them all.

Yep; that is how I read it as well. All the distributors bought them all but they should pretty much all be available. Awesome game. Will be glad to have 100 new owners in the club.

#236 11 years ago

Found one! I actually prefer the new translight for the looks, but would prefer the other due to the 3D effect.

#237 11 years ago

How expensive are these 3D translites to have custom made? If you placed an order for, let's say, 50.

#238 11 years ago

I have a few Tron's left PM me is interested.

#239 11 years ago

FYI, I didn't see it mentioned here ... I spoke to a distributor earlier today and he said the new run of Tron Pros will also have a RED dot matrix display (like AC/DC). Apparently Stern ran out of orange displays and is using red ones on this run.

#240 11 years ago

Anybody know if they will have the decal protectors where the legs attach?

#241 11 years ago
Quoted from funkeman:

FYI, I didn't see it mentioned here ... I spoke to a distributor earlier today and he said the new run of Tron Pros will also have a RED dot matrix display (like AC/DC). Apparently Stern ran out of orange displays and is using red ones on this run.

I received that confirmation from Stern today.

#242 11 years ago
Quoted from funkeman:

I was told it would have gas plasma like the original run. Not LED. If they don't have the right dispaly, they need to order them. I think red will look weird.

#243 11 years ago

If they don't have the right dispaly, they need to order them.

That's not the stern way...just put in whatever is on hand. Who cares if it is right?

#244 11 years ago

I was debating ordering one, and dumping my IJ in exchange....but why am I having so much trouble convincing myself to buy from this run?

#245 11 years ago

I was told it would have gas plasma like the original run. Not LED. If they don't have the right dispaly, they need to order them. I think red will look weird.

Blue is the way to go anyway so just sell the one that comes with it

#246 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's not the stern way...just put in whatever is on hand. Who cares if it is right?

These displays are a lot more expensive and will last longer. You are right it is not like them to add such an expensive item to a pro.

#247 11 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Sorry to hear you are not getting one Robert. <snip>

Bite the bullet and get one.

Sorry, but I refuse to pay what they're asking for NIB games nowadays. If that means I never buy another NIB game, so be it. I've already got plenty of great titles that I can be happy with.

#248 11 years ago

Starburst in TO is getting 10 in, and there are only 4 left. Good to see some more NIB coming to Canada.

#249 11 years ago

What is better gas plasma or LED display?

What type of display is in PotC and what is in XM LE? I have to look at those two are different I believe but not sure which is which.

#250 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What is better gas plasma or LED display?
What type of display is in PotC and what is in XM LE? I have to look at those two are different I believe but not sure which is which.

plasma in Pirates and red LED in Xmen LE

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 26.50
Trade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,115 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-new-tron-batch/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.