• 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Whysnow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Here is a Pinside email that I received yesterday (9/30):

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/68292

Hi Alan! My name is [removed] and I am certain that this is the pinball machine from my Father's Trust. I grew up with this machine and it is very important to me. This was never supposed to be sold, I am heartbroken to see this on the market. My sister has mismanaged the assets of my Father's Trust and there is an open court case. My father was a notable man building many of the machines at The House On The Rock. His nickname was "TheWizard" or just "Wiz" because of this machine. Here is his obituary. https://thedodgevillechronicle.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&ArticleID=7249

I am certain this is the same machine due to the ugly red touch up paint (not his doing!) and the time it came on the market. I am determined to get this machine back to Wisconsin. My question is, will you hold it for me until I can come get it? Also, is shipping it a possibility? I need to figure out if I should drive it back myself or have it shipped to Wisconsin. My cell is 608-[removed] if you would like to talk. I am really hoping you will work with me, and looking forward to your response.
Thank you!
[removed]

The machine in question has spent it's entire life in Maryland and has been home used since 1980.

Is this a new scam? Or is this guy a complete idiot to think that I would let him just stop by and "pick it up"?

Follow up or ignore?

#2 5 years ago

Probably should edit out his phone number

Tell him if he wants to buy it, he is welcome to put in an offer but you will not hold it. Disregard everything else in the story because it's irrelevant. He could genuinely be mistaken, who knows.

#3 5 years ago

Hmmm, lot of specific information and detail...maybe too much for a scam? But who knows. If the obituary checks out it might be worth at least a courtesy phone call?

#4 5 years ago

Maybe a new scam.....call the number.....think you will know fairly quick

#5 5 years ago

I would only give them the option to actually come in person to buy it with cash. Don't fall for the transfer money bs.

#6 5 years ago

I wonder if his story is legit but he is confused in assuming your machine was his fathers. I think there are 3 Wizards for sale in the Wisconsin area on Craigslist currently.

The owner of The House on the Rock is/was a friend of my uncles and fathers. The obituary is from the same area as the museum. They have many antique music machines. The area code is correct for Wi.

Anyway not sure how he'd be able to prove it was the same machine outside a serial number. Even if he did he'd have any recourse. Just sounds like an unfortunate coincidence (potentially).

#7 5 years ago

Sounds legit ! Let him buy it

#8 5 years ago

Text him and tell him it's for sale. Come get it, cash on the glass.

#9 5 years ago

Money Talks.

You can hold it for him once the total sale price funds have been deposited and cleared to your account. He can come and pick it up at his leisure after that. If he is genuine, he will turn up, get someone to turn up, transfer the money or do whatever it takes to get this "must have machine".

Nothing more for anyone to worry about after that.

#10 5 years ago

I’d raise my price. It’s very important to him and he’s determined to get it home.

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #47 “Knowledge equals profit.”

#11 5 years ago

I replied to him asking for the serial number which they should have if it's part of an estate.

I also asked for pics.

I told him that, like Dr. Ford, he is mistaken, after all, Bally made 10,005 of these things.

But I told him if he wanted to bring $950 cash (used US bills), to my house (NO shipping), he should bring three big guys to schlep this anchor up my basement stairs.

I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the input.

#12 5 years ago

Have a friend reply too. If he starts trying to buy both machines you know it's 100% scam.

#13 5 years ago

Maybe I'm wrong, but it does seem like a lot of work to try and scam a $950 Wizard pinball machine from somebody.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Maybe I'm wrong, but it does seem like a lot of work to try and scam a $950 Wizard pinball machine from somebody.

It would be. But the scammers don't do that. They do a similar scam to dozens or hundreds of potential victims. If they get a few hundred bucks for sending out a couple hundred emails that is easy money. They will never personally possess the merchandise. If they even have it picked up it will be by an unwitting mule who is also a victim of a fake check/advance fee fraud.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I told him that, like Dr. Ford, he is mistaken

Nobody wants to hear either side of that shit here dude. This is our happy place, let’s all just be pinball buddies and save the bickering for the clown puke LED thread. Peace.

#16 5 years ago

Sort of same email 4-5 days ago.
From a pinsider, trying to find the game his father played. Looking to spend 3-400 hundred $.
His account was only a week old.
None of it made sense.
Couple of days later pinside wanted me to verify his account.
I did not.
Said he could not travel due to having a new baby.
I called his #, he answered said he couldn't talk, was getting the baby out of the car.
I could hear the kid crying.
Bizzare.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

should bring three big guys

How can three people carry a machine up stairs at the same time?

#18 5 years ago

No idea if the guy is legit or not, but The House on the Rock is legendary.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

No idea if the guy is legit or not, but The House on the Rock is legendary.

We just went there for the first time last month. Awe inspiring. Played some new pins at some bar&grill near there too.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

How can three people carry a machine up stairs at the same time?

Taken apart,
2 on the cabinet and one one the backabox....

#21 5 years ago

The guy finally replied and apologized for the first email. He said that he after my reply he compared the pics of his game to mine and they were very different.

Probably would have been better if he had done that in the first place, but, all's well that ends well. Case closed. Thanks for the input.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I replied to him asking for the serial number which they should have if it's part of an estate.
I also asked for pics.
I told him that, like Dr. Ford, he is mistaken, after all, Bally made 10,005 of these things.
But I told him if he wanted to bring $950 cash (used US bills), to my house (NO shipping), he should bring three big guys to schlep this anchor up my basement stairs.
I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the input.

LOL, I love it, just the mere mention of ***************...Too funny..It is all the down votes that truly makes me scared...

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

LOL, I love it, just the mere mention of Dr.(?) Ford gets you moderated...Too funny..It is all the down votes that truly makes me scared...

I was going to reply, but I sent an abuse notice instead.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

LOL, I love it, just the mere mention of Dr.(?) Ford gets you moderated...Too funny..It is all the down votes that truly makes me scared...

I also would have downvoted it if he said something negative about Kavanaugh. It’s tacky to bring up politics here. Don’t worry, Dingleberry agrees with you so you’re probably cool.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

The guy finally replied and apologized for the first email. He said that he after my reply he compared the pics of his game to mine and they were very different.
Probably would have been better if he had done that in the first place, but, all's well that ends well. Case closed. Thanks for the input.

I actually know of the Wizard with red touchups that is in WI. More likely that is the game he is looking for?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-new-scam-to-me-from-a-pinsider?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.