(Topic ID: 215745)

A new EM

By mrm_4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DC7DBD1E-383F-4D1F-AE34-D3395F9A0CAB (resized).jpeg
    4622D0C5-6EEF-4914-918C-371C9C30CD7F (resized).jpeg
    2529F910-073D-424F-978B-2823E8741694 (resized).jpeg
    4D397988-66B2-4416-AACD-067B382E17FB (resized).jpeg
    45C8CD8F-E6FA-4C7A-A74B-8AC3DE7121F6 (resized).jpeg
    73FC9E58-A407-4A6C-B41D-4CA070D4BB21 (resized).jpeg
    BEA20863-73B9-482E-9CF3-B32A2C0B092E (resized).jpeg
    966F6CD2-BB37-4A58-8CB8-6D34436D5E19 (resized).jpeg
    6CDD5FC2-BEFF-4BBF-96B9-550DDCAF611B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6293 (resized).jpg
    000-pinskys4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EMsInKC.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Simple: Herb has been refurbishing and selling games for years. His #1 most requested and sold EM was (at the time) KOD. He had done so many, the donor games were drying up. At least at a reasonable return for what he has to put into each one in labor and new parts. With Backglass, Plastic Sets, and Playfield art already done (and at his disposal), he wanted to make new games from scratch. With "demand" higher than "supply", and some of the major development items already done, that is why KOD was used as the first game.
    At the time, I would have personally chosen El Dorado or even Fast Draw. But both would have required creating Drop Target parts/tooling that no longer existed. Of course, from Concept to completion, KOD took 10 years so the market had changed a bit and my personal choices probably would have been a bit more desirable over KOD (my personal opinion). Everyone has their favorites and thinks others may share the same choices. But you never actually know the market until you have an actual game to sell. If any "old" remake has a chance, it will be Eight Ball Deluxe. But only time will tell if that one every becomes a reality
    It was Herb's desire to make the second game Bank-A-Ball. Some of you may have seen his "Prototype" wood rail BAB. But instead, I wanted to do Queen of Hearts. The game would have actually been built like a Wood Rail and had a greatly reduced BOM compared to KOD. And priced accordingly. Additionally, due to its size and weight, would have been "ship-able" via UPS in 3 standard shipping boxes. Essentially being very much like "The Pin".

I saw it. The rotating target in the center I thought was a cool feature.

I thought I wanted the remade KoD until I played it. I think it was a combination of the fact that it just didn't have an EM feel, and I didn't care for the mylar playfield at all. You guys gave it your best effort and the technological part of it was really well done, but the game just didn't do it for me. Maybe also because I never really thought KoD was all that in the first place. I owned one and I didn't keep it all that long. I've never been much of a fan of those carousel roto targets anyway, or roto target games in general.

Maybe BAB would have been better, but still, to me an EM is the clunks and clicks and racket and without it, even though it LOOKED like an EM, it didn't have the feel.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EMsInKC.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-new-em?tu=EMsInKC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.