Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 days ago by stashyboy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1281 (resized).JPG
IMG_2916 (resized).JPG
20180418_120737_resized (resized).jpg
4D9CB88B-0D65-4F56-8CE6-463C8A426D02 (resized).jpeg
B3D82231-3599-46A2-B49C-918DF0F15682 (resized).jpeg
20171023_163430 (resized).jpg
IMG_9550 (resized).JPG
IMG_9207 (resized).JPG
IMG_5250 (resized).JPG
IMG_3773 (resized).JPG
IMG_0919 (resized).JPG
IMG_0370 (resized).JPG
IMG_5772 (resized).JPG
Serial Number (resized).JPG
Apron (resized).JPG
Score Motor (resized).JPG

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

New to my roster, at any rate.

IMG_5091.JPG

I passed on this Dimension in 2012, but two years later the price was better, so this afternoon I drove down to Des Moines and picked it up, a game I've been wanting for a long time! There are, however, significant cosmetic challenges and cabinet integrity issues I will need to address.

At some point this Dimension was painted navy blue. Later it was stripped to bare wood (mostly) and then coated with an oil-based clear.

IMG_5093.JPG

But they didn't get all the navy blue paint.

IMG_5099.JPG

Lastly, they "decorated" one side of the head.

IMG_5097.JPG

So pretty!

Despite all the indignity this cabinet has suffered, the serial number still shines through:

IMG_5100.JPG

Then there are the structural matters. The back (or "butt") of the cabinet has fissured. I didn't take a picture of it, but here is a photo of the bottom, damaged by attempted coin box theft, which was fortified with a crudely formed chunk of wood:

IMG_5094.JPG

The backglass and playfield are imperfect, but the former is easily rectified with the repro backglass I ordered from Ron Webb. As for the latter, it will clean up decently, but I'm also chasing a couple of leads on replacement playfields.

IMG_5095.JPG

There's a lot of work to be done here, but a Dimension is well worth the effort, in my opinion. I won't be able to to do any of the heavy lifting for at least a year or two, but I hope to update this post down the road with progress, when it's made!

#2 4 years ago

You probably just had to buy this one in sacrifice for a nice one to pop up next.

But it's in good hands. Will be great to see finished.

#3 4 years ago

Congrats on your acquisition!

Looking forward to your progress report along with seeing pictures of the restoration.

Ken

#4 4 years ago

Way to go leckmeck! Very sought-after game and hard to find in any condition. Good luck on your restoration.

#5 4 years ago

Nice game! That is a hard add-a-ball title to find. It looks like it will be quite a project. Good luck!
Tim

#6 4 years ago

Whats one of these go for in decent shape over all with some touch up around the white score windows ?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#7 4 years ago

Back in 2010 I saw a really nice Dimension in a local collector's basement. I expressed interest in it, but it had just sold on eBay for $1800 and was pending pickup. It had a repro backglass.

As described, yours could get $1200 - $1500, depending on the eyes of the cash-holder.

#8 4 years ago

I acquired my Dimension in a straight up trade for a GTB Melody,
which i thought was very fair,
since both games are fairly rare and were in comparable condition.
I did not care for Melody much, as you had to lose/drain balls
in order to light the AAB features.
The drop targets on Dimension is just more fun to play and easier to earn AABs.

Either game probably could command from $1000 to $2000
depending on condition and region and how much a buyer wanted the game.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Whats one of these go for in decent shape over all with some touch up around the white score windows ?
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

Just depends if you get a couple of people that really want it. One of those hard ones to determine price on (490 produced and it has resetting drop targets which 2001 doesn't) because there's so little sales data. No. 6 out of 25 on Brian Saunders (our state Bally guru)Top 25 em games (from Pinballeric's 9th edition). Even ahead of Space Walk - No. 8 - who someone here heard an offer of $25K - haha.

#10 4 years ago

Great game. Definitely worth the effort needed to restore it. They didn't make many of them.

#11 4 years ago

Congrats on your Dimension, its my all time favorite pin.

#12 4 years ago

Dimension is on my radar as well..great game, much better than 2001 IMO...Congrats, looks like it is a great platform for an awesome resto...

#13 4 years ago

I got mine out of a barn for 300 bucks about 10 years ago. Cabinet in the same shape as the one above.

Seems like most Dimensions have ratty cabs. No idea why. I eventually purchased a 2001 and swapped cabinets so I got a pretty nice looking Dimension now.

They all seem to have nice playfields except for the wear from those 5 kickouts. Ive never seen one with an awful backglass but there's usually some flaking in the girl's face.

Had no idea a repro had been made.

#14 4 years ago

Dimension was my 2nd pinball and my first EM acquired over 20 years ago. He wanted $175 for it. I was a newb and afraid I was getting ripped off so I talked him down to $125. I stripped and repainted the cabinet to the original colors and pattern. I still have it/love it. This year I bought the repro BG and playfied plastics. Ironic, these parts cost almost 3X the original game price, but I didn't hesitate. Well worth it.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've never seen one with an awful backglass but there's usually some flaking in the girl's face.

Yep, all the ink that flaked off my Dimension backglass affected only the girl's face. It looks like she is growing a beard. I'm thankful I scored one of the few remaining backglasses. According to the latest update on Ron's site, only one remains.

Some ink, however, was lost due to the score reels dimpling/scraping the score windows. This seems to have been a recurring issue on several GTB titles from the late '60s and early '70s. My 2001 and Spin-A-Card also suffer from it. I fear the same type of damage could happen to the repro. Is there a protrusion on the score reels that needs correcting?

#16 4 years ago

Got one up for sale here if there's any interest. All original, some touch up around the score windows in the backglass. The rest of the glass looks good. Couple of the drop targets were replaced with the wrong ones but I might have some good used one's laying around. PM me if you have any interest at Pinhead67@sbcglobal.net

Thanks
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#17 4 years ago

Not to hi-jack leckmeck's thread but who here that normally buys replay games has played both 2001 and Dimension, and ended up with a Dimension? Could you rate the two games as far as playability and why one is better than the other? Of course resetting drop targets is a no-brainer but what about the rest of the rule set?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Yep, all the ink that flaked off my Dimension backglass affected only the girl's face. It looks like she is growing a beard. I'm thankful I scored one of the few remaining backglasses. According to the latest update on Ron's site, only one remains.
Some ink, however, was lost due to the score reels dimpling/scraping the score windows. This seems to have been a recurring issue on several GTB titles from the late '60s and early '70s. My 2001 and Spin-A-Card also suffer from it. I fear the same type of damage could happen to the repro. Is there a protrusion on the score reels that needs correcting?

No protrusion. The two metal L-shaped bars that hold the backglass up against the front of the head had pieces of beer seal type foam padding on them to keep the glass pushed forward. Over time the foam disintegrates and allows the glass to move rearward and come in contact with the score reel chassis (which may also have had foam on it too, can't remember).

#19 4 years ago

Vital replacement components obtained. Thanks to Ron Webb for making the repro backglass and fellow Pinsider Tyamry for selling me his NOS playfield.

Dimension Backglass and Playfield.jpg

#21 4 years ago

Wow, you're going whole hog! Are you going to paint the box yourself? What's the plan with the old playfield? I've seen much worse. It's a good restoration candidate.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Vital replacement components obtained. Thanks to Ron Webb for making the repro backglass and fellow Pinsider Tyamry for selling me his NOS playfield

Very nice - can't wait to see the finished product......

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Vital replacement components obtained. Thanks to Ron Webb for making the repro backglass and fellow Pinsider Tyamry for selling me his NOS playfield.

Dimension Backglass and Playfiel... 276 KB

oh man, WICKED cool that you were able to lay your hands on a pf like that...

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Wow, you're going whole hog! Are you going to paint the box yourself? What's the plan with the old playfield? I've seen much worse. It's a good restoration candidate.

I do plan to repaint the cabinet using a 2001 for reference on the stencils, colors, and webbing.

As for the leftover playfield, it could be restored. By the time I'm done swapping it out, however, my enthusiasm for mucking around with a worn playfield will be rather low!

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

oh man, WICKED cool

C'mon Chris, you've been a Jersey boy for a while now. Time to let go of the Massachusetts lingo!!!

#26 4 years ago

I currently have 2 dimensions. Certainly one of my all time faves. In 1978, my roomate in college brought his up and left it in our suite. I certainly studied pinball a lot.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

I do plan to repaint the cabinet using a 2001 for reference on the stencils, colors, and webbing.
As for the leftover playfield, it could be restored. By the time I'm done swapping it out, however, my enthusiasm for mucking around with a worn playfield will be rather low!

Very nice!

Hope we have a detailed thread of how to do a p/f swap - might have to do one next year.

#28 4 years ago

i will be doing a sing along swap soon, maybe i will do a video or something to show the steps
i take my time so it would be any real trouble

3 years later
#29 10 months ago

I'm resurrecting this old thread to report on this project's progress! It's coming along and I should finish it something this winter. Right now I'm in the middle of painting. One side of the head is done.

Repair Work
Painted Wedgehead

The head insert and score motor board have been cleaned and rehabilitated. After I finish painting, I'm going to work on the playfield components, then swap in the NOS playfield.

Score Motor Board

I bought a superb AAB apron from a guy on Facebook, then printed (and laminated) my own cards on some vintage-looking card stock I found at Michaels. An original schematic came up for sale on eBay, so I grabbed that.

Apron, Cards, Schematic

I still need to find a nice original coin door. If one can't be found, then I'll have to get a repro from Steve at PBR, along with the rest of the parts I need. I predict it will be an expensive order!

#30 10 months ago

That looks to be shaping up to be the nicest "Dimension" on the planet! Where did you get the NOS playfield?

#31 10 months ago

What color is your blue stencil? Rattle can? I'm about to do one as well. Looking great, Thanks man.

#32 10 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That looks to be shaping up to be the nicest "Dimension" on the planet! Where did you get the NOS playfield?

Pinsider Tyamry bought it from ballyop, the eBay seller from Italy who usually has a couple of NOS playfields for sale. Tyamry ended up not needing it, so I bought it from him.

#33 10 months ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

What color is your blue stencil? Rattle can? I'm about to do one as well. Looking great, Thanks man.

Thanks! I used Rustoleum Deep Blue, but I hesitate recommending it. I think it looks a shade too dark, but I'm stuck now and it's close enough!

#34 10 months ago

Yeah, I suspected it came from ballyop. He has a lot of NOS playfields I'd like to nab.

#35 9 months ago

The head is stamped now, just in case my game room is raided by the vice squad. It’s legit!

Serial Number

#36 9 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

The head is stamped now, just in case my game room is raided by the vice squad. It’s legit!

What's your method?

#37 9 months ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

What's your method?

This topic goes over the technique:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-serial-number-stamp

This time I didn't have any foam on hand, so I printed a normal stencil on ORAMASK 811, applied it to the cabinet, and smeared some acrylic paint into it. It looked too nice so I scuffed it up with some 400-grit sandpaper and magic eraser.

#38 9 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, I suspected it came from ballyop. He has a lot of NOS playfields I'd like to nab.

you need to get a Solitaire pf from him...

#39 9 months ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i will be doing a sing along playfield swap soon, maybe i will do a video or something to show the steps
i take my time so it would be any real trouble

Looking forward to the video, boilerman. It certainly looks like a task where experience and a video can save on a lot of mistakes and a whole bunch of time!

1 month later
#40 8 months ago

Any recent update?

#41 8 months ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Any recent update?

I benched this project to finish a different game. I expect to resume work on Dimension sometime early next year.

#42 8 months ago

But the head is done. I guess that’s an update!

Dimension Litebox

#43 8 months ago

Looks great to what you bought. I keep coming across painted pins solid black, blue, red, etc.

5 months later
#44 3 months ago

Some more (very slow) progress.

Dirty old drop target banks.
Before

Mid-rebuild, but the colors are the wrong way! Oops.
Middle

All better.
After

IMG_0919 (resized).JPG
IMG_0370 (resized).JPG
IMG_3773 (resized).JPG

#45 3 months ago

Looking good!

#46 3 months ago

I went with a slightly lighter shade blue. Yours is probably closer to original, but I thought this look nice. Those drop Target banks are somewhat problematic since they were the earliest Incarnation. They don't have the rubber bumpers for resets or the nylon bushings for the pivot arms. Really fun game as I'm sure you know. Looking good.

20171023_163430 (resized).jpg

#47 3 months ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I went with a slightly lighter shade blue. Yours is probably closer to original, but I thought this look nice. Those drop Target banks are somewhat problematic since they were the earliest Incarnation. They don't have the rubber bumpers for resets or the nylon bushings for the pivot arms. Really fun game as I'm sure you know. Looking good.

What was your color? Ive got a Ks&Qs to do, was leaning towards the deep blue from Rustoleum...

#48 3 months ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I have a beater 2001 I’m using as a color reference, and the blue I’m using on Dimension seems much deeper than it does on the 2001. When I compare it to the flyer, however, the deeper blue seems to be spot-on. But your blue looks great. It looks just like my 2001.

You're right about the old drop target assembly. It’s annoying. I tried adding the rubber insulators on Dimension, but my drill holes were too low, so the targets wouldn't reset. I took them out and fussed over the plunger stop distance instead. Once it was set correctly, the targets reset crisply without smashing the top of the wiper slot or clipping the feet on the drop targets. I wonder, however, how long those four screws will keep the plunger stop distance where it is now. It might drift over time as it gets repeatedly hammered with each reset.

#49 3 months ago

There are probably color variations based on how the game aged. If it was in the Sun what kind of environment nicotine etc etc. I will look to see if I still have the can of that blue Ken.

#50 3 months ago

After spraying the red tonight, I’m relieved to see the registration turned out right!

4D9CB88B-0D65-4F56-8CE6-463C8A426D02 (resized).jpegB3D82231-3599-46A2-B49C-918DF0F15682 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 8,699.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 24.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside