image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

So I've owned this silver for the better part of 7 years but always been bitching and moaning about the sad state of my playfield. There was heavy wear around the gobble holes so I figured someone was trying to make a heavy wear playfield at least tolerable. I bought this as one of my first pins before I understood anything about playfield condition. Not petty huh ?

image_(resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

Hey at least they tried to stay within the lines !

#3 6 years ago

So every year I go fishing for this playfield. Couple years back someone tried to scam me on Mr Pinball (not the sites fault). Usually nothing. This year finally come to find out Shay has one and am going to get it from him, but I know he's busy

#4 6 years ago

Lo and behold a Silver gets listed for $250 on Craigslist and it's an hour from me. Woo hoo ! I grab it immediately. Back glass a mess, standard flame broiled plastics, but at least intact. Kinda bummed that the greens are so faded

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#5 6 years ago

I already have the repro plastics and back glass from Shay on my first Silver, so what the heck I'll just transfer them over or vice versa. This Silver in perfect working order other than a sticky sling

#6 6 years ago

But in looking at the playfield it gives me an idea. What if for some crazy reason the owner on my Silver just didn't like the faded green. It's a gamble but I have to try. Gently I take the apron up since they repainted all green areas. I'll try there first with some goof off.

#7 6 years ago

Hmm encouraging

image_(resized).jpeg

#8 6 years ago

I continue...

Wow really they didn't just paint it once, they painted it with two different shades of green, you can see the playfield green peeking out

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#9 6 years ago

I continue ...

Bingo ! Crappy latex overpaint gone and what is beneath is a sight to behold, much like a time capsule waiting to be uncovered

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#10 6 years ago

I am a very happy camper. Will take a lot of elbow grease but I know what is to be won from this battle.

I'll put up the other silver for someone else to enjoy once I am sure we are all good here.

#11 6 years ago

Motto I guess is if you REALLY want to preserve your playfield from wear, just give it a good ol coat of latex. Let it be someone else's discovery 30 years later

#12 6 years ago

Good story. I'm going to paint mine tonight!

#13 6 years ago

Bottom half now back

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#14 6 years ago

More progress

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#15 6 years ago

What I still don't get is why anyone would do this. There wasn't any wear in the green at all. They obviously cared enough to try to repaint black circular lines and tape off the borders. It's just bizarre.

#16 6 years ago

I had a f-14 that some one painted the cabinet extirior solid green. I had the same experience, removed the green paint and found the original cabinet art underneath. image_(resized).jpeg

#18 6 years ago

Getting closer. This stuff is hard to get off

image_(resized).jpeg

#19 6 years ago

Kinda odd, actually, why did soemone think a repaint like that was needed?

#20 6 years ago

Am I missing something? WHere are the gobble holes?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Am I missing something? WHere are the gobble holes?

Post #13 shows them, haha time to get eyes checked!!

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Post #13 shows them, haha time to get eyes checked!!

Oh at quick glance I thought those were inserts that you had removed!

#23 6 years ago

thanks for taking the time to document this..i just picked up a swing along that has been painted red in the clear areas above the flippers..the rest of the playfield is great..

just thinking would i get the same results as above with no paint under this?

20160622_180333_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 6.50
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 30.00
Apparel - Men
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!