Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image6-1 (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

In the elder days of pinball. Pinball was just coming out of being a gambling machine and into its own.

The game play had some overlap with gambling but it had enough skill to keep it not gambling.

Woodrails were know for,
    A. Non tradional itailan bottom.
    B. Incentive to drain
    C. Diffrent

Woodrail design did not have to conform to the norm.

Why not have a modern line of inspired woodrail designs. Capture the 1950s and 40s with vintage colors keep three inch flipers, wood legs, simple rules, no bonus, manual ball lift.

Keep it as a side option not made on the line.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

In the elder days of pinball. Pinball was just coming out of being a gambling machine and into its own.
    The game play had some overlap with gambling but it had enough skill to keep it not gambling.
    Woodrails were know for,
    B. Incentive to drain
    C. Diffrent
    Why not have a modern line of inspired woodrail designs. Capture the 1950s and 40s with vintage colors keep three inch flipers, wood legs, simple rules, no bonus, manual ball lift.

Whoa Nellie already exists

A huge blunder by Stern, proved to the industry that absolutely nobody wants to revisit Woodrails or EMs

#3 1 year ago

Sorry Dr. Frost; right answer, wrong reason. I am sure Stern made money on Whoa Nellie after reskinning it twice and some of us actually like that game a lot.

However the main reason not to do it is that whatever you come up with has for sure been done and probably a lot more inventively by one of the masters of pinball design.

Tons of killer EM games exist out there that most have never played. All kinds of weird features and layouts.

No reason to reinvent the wheel when most haven't even discovered it yet.

#4 1 year ago

Retro pinball also tried it with King of Diamonds (a SS recreation of Gottlieb’s single player that allowed 4 players to play) in 2010 and used modern electronics, and they made all of 55 machines. If people want to go back to their youth, with a little retro, why not buy that wedgehead you played at the Bowling alley? That’s what I do. And my $$ goes a lot farther than NIB, but everyone needs that NIB rush at least just once in your life.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Retro pinball also tried it with King of Diamonds (a SS recreation of Gottlieb’s single player that allowed 4 players to play) in 2010 and used modern electronics, and they made all of 55 machines. If people want to go back to their youth, with a little retro, why not buy that wedgehead you played at the Bowling alley? That’s what I do. And my $$ goes a lot farther than NIB, but everyone needs that NIB rush at least just once in your life.

Im a late 90s kid.

#6 1 year ago

Ok, then, retro to you would be my Family Guy? I’m an early 60’s baby so that’s why the wedgehead fixation.

#7 1 year ago

Production cost would make the retail price too high to sell enough units.
    The audience would be pretty limited.
    It would be a novelty, and could be cool, but wouldn't appeal to enough buyers and players.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Woodrails were know for,
    B. Incentive to drain
    C. Diffrent

Its a cool concept to think of but your timeline and facts are a bit off. Elder days of pins could mean 1600-1700's for many historians when speaking of bagatelle. More modern historians would still take it back to the late 1800's when America first entered the marketplace. Pinball and gambling were not synonymous with one another for much of the pre-war pure mechanical era and started to be produced around the mid 1930's after electricity was introduced into designs. Many manufacturers dipped their toe into the 'payout' world and some had great success (Jennings) but for the most part pinball was still a game made for amusement and only infringed on laws that prohibited the winning of a 'Free Game', an'extra ball' or some other prize. Hence why 'AAB' were popular for many distributors in certain geographical locations. There were plenty of gambling games of the day, (slots, trade stimulators) but payout pinball was not as wide spread or produced.

Most fans of early EM pinball I've spoke with say their favorite era is the 1930's. This is before the invention of the pop bumper when many designers simplified designs and over used pops in title after title. Of coarse there is no shortage of 50's, 60's and 70's EM fans. Myself included.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Woodrails were know for,
    B. Incentive to drain
    C. Diffrent

Because the buyer pool of people who would buy something like that is extremely small. Many somewhat recent games have teetered on the edge of trying that and failed, with maybe the exception of TNA (if you want to even put it in that category). Levi is right, if pinside ran a pinball company it would be out of business fast

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Im a late 90s kid.

Quoted from Blake:

Its a cool concept to think of but your timeline and facts are a bit off. Elder days of pins could mean 1600-1700's for many historians when speaking of bagatelle. More modern historians would still take it back to the late 1800's when America first entered the marketplace. Pinball and gambling were not synonymous with one another for much of the pre-war pure mechanical era and started to be produced around the mid 1930's after electricity was introduced into designs. Many manufacturers dipped their toe into the 'payout' world and some had great success (Jennings) but for the most part pinball was still a game made for amusement and only infringed on laws that prohibited the winning of a 'Free Game', an'extra ball' or some other prize. Hence why 'AAB' were popular for many distributors in certain geographical locations. There were plenty of gambling games of the day, (slots, trade stimulators) but payout pinball was not as wide spread or produced.
    Most fans of early EM pinball I've spoke with say their favorite era is the 1930's. This is before the invention of the pop bumper when many designers simplified designs and over used pops in title after title. Of coarse there is no shortage of 50's, 60's and 70's EM fans. Myself included.

Pop bumpers and passive bumbers are what makes pinball.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Because the buyer pool of people who would buy something like that is extremely small. Many somewhat recent games have teetered on the edge of trying that and failed, with maybe the exception of TNA (if you want to even put it in that category). Levi is right, if pinside ran a pinball company it would be out of business fast

Re read the post.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Pop bumpers and passive bumbers are what makes pinball.

I'm hopeful that you got more from my response than that.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Re read the post.

I think you could really clarify the post by saying “build on demand” which is a more savvy way of saying…

Quoted from Bmad21:

But even then, no pinball company is doing “build on demand” at a onesie twosie rate on a line either, and you would have to be certifiably insane to try an hand assemble on that small scale and pay a decent wage AND keep costs in check.

Stern is doing batch orders and can’t seem to keep up with demand. Why dabble in small potatoes?

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Whoa Nellie already exists
    A huge blunder by Stern, proved to the industry that absolutely nobody wants to revisit Woodrails or EMs

Whoa Nellie was a passion project by the Wiz Bang guys to re-theme a Gottlieb woodrail layout. I'm not sure how Stern got involved producing V2.0 but they did and of course it was used as a base for further small batch games like PCC and Primus. I don't think it was a blunder in itself but not a huge money maker either. The fact Stern was willing to be involved with Whoa Nellie V2.0 in the first place is interesting and to their credit.

In my opinion, I would have picked a different playfield layout but it is what they (Wiz Bang) had to work with.

The "remake a home pin" Star Wars - Heavy Metal seems like a better fit for the company and modern tastes in playfield design.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Re read the post.

I read what you said, I just didn't want to point out that having a "side line" is an even more ludicrously out of touch with reality idea, and I kind of just ignored that part out of kindness. Pointing out that it was incredibly dumb just on face value alone was enough, but since you needed me to go into more detail, there you go. Nobody wants modern EM's, therefore having the incredible extra cost of having a side option dedicated for them is even more completely unnecessary.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I read what you said, I just didn't want to point out that having a "side line" is an even more ludicrously out of touch with reality idea, and I kind of just ignored that part out of kindness. Pointing out that it was incredibly dumb just on face value alone was enough, but since you needed me to go into more detail, there you go. Nobody wants modern EM's, therefore having the incredible extra cost of having a side option dedicated for them is even more completely unnecessary.

Aka gimme another bland fan layout with a paid theme.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

image6-1 (resized).pngimage6-1 (resized).png
    #18 1 year ago

Build one and prove your premise.

Nothing about making pinball is easy, but you are talking about the absolute simplest form of the game possible. So make one. All the parts are readily available, you can use the cheapest control system and computer options, getting it flipping in MPF will get you a good chunk of the way towards done.

Nobody is waiting around to make your passion project exist. You want something like this, and you think it's a good idea, do it yourself. Even if nobody else finds it particularly compelling you'll have one.

And the truth is nobody wants a modern woodrail, because outside of their historical importance and collectible beauty they don't provide much long last gameplay appeal vs what you'd have to charge to even break even to build a new one. But if you think I'm wrong the only possible avenue you have to see it exist is just do it yourself.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

I have No Fear in my shop, it's NOT to my taste.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I have No Fear in my shop, it's NOT to my taste.

Don't worry, theres a ton of new games that aren't fan layouts (GZ, AIQ, Bond, ect) but OP will figure that out eventurally. No fear is definitely one of the quinisential fan layouts though lol. I actually love that game

#21 1 year ago

Another classic

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-modern-woodrail- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.