Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160707_163323_(resized).jpg
    IMG_0484_(resized).JPG
    CoredWire_(resized).jpg
    Misc_001_(resized).jpg
    Misc_002_(resized).jpg
    Misc_003_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 7 years ago

In most cases, the more recent the solder, the better it is. Flux chemistry has improved a significant amount ever since RoHS kicked in. I'll stick to leaded solder here for the most part, as that's what most guys are using. And, yes, it's the flux that expires in a roll of solder but you do get some oxidation as well depending on how you store it. Lead does not like being near wood for extended time periods, particularly if there's no ventilation. The US Navy found that out the hard way when a lot of the lead work in their museum models turned to dust over the years due to the very nice wood framed display cases.

The older solder type, which most people are familiar with, is 60/40 ... this means 60% tin and 40% lead (plus trace elements). Problem is that tin and lead have different melting points, and in an 60/40 alloy you get a short 'plastic phase' when it cools, where it's kinda solid but kinda not. So if your solder joint moves during this phase then things can go bad and you'll get a crappy solder joint. Almost every electronics tech and assembly house that's still using lead these days uses 63/37. 63% tin, 37% lead. May not seem like a huge difference, but in performance it's very significant. 63/37 is what's known as Eutectic, meaning there's no plastic phase on cooling. It goes from liquid straight to solid. This drastically reduces your chance of bad solder joints.

As to fluxes, there's primarily 4 different kinds that you'll see. RA, RMA, Water Soluble, and No-Clean. They all do the same job of clearing away oxidation to allow better alloying of solder joints, some are better than others, and they all have their quirks.

RA means 'Rosin Activated', and yes rosin does mean it's basically tree sap. RMA is 'Rosin Mildly Activated, not as aggressive. These have really gone away in the industry. Everybody is using WS or NC these days. RA/RMA fluxes are in the middle-ground for the ability to clear oxidation. Most older RA/RMA's are mildly corrosive over time if not cleaned .... and they are why you see big nasty brown goo spots on old repairs as the residue breaks down. It's also not easy to clean, you need aggressive chemicals to really get the stuff off of boards. The flux can also be conductive in some situations. More modern RA/RMA fluxes are generally nowhere near as corrosive as they used to be, but it's still not the best of the bunch in any category.

Water Solubles are what most production is done with these days. Good ones are the best of the bunch at clearing oxidation, give the best solder joints, and it's easy to wash away with just plain water .... which really simplifies the cleaning process. Problem is that water soluble is VERY corrosive if not cleaned off, and not all parts on a circuit board can be water washed. Even worse with modern low-profile BGA chips that you can't get water under them to flush the stuff out. Great for production work, not so good for home users due to the cleaning needs, particularly with harnesses under your playfield.

No-Clean's are exactly that, they don't require cleaning. The residues are non-conductive, non-corrosive, and safe to leave on the board. It takes a whole step out of the process. The trade-off is that it's much harder to clean if you ever decide to do that, and it's not as effective at clearing oxidation. Also means you've really got to dig in with a test probe as it can be a great insulator if thick enough. However for most guys here it's the optimal choice as you don't have that long term corrosion potential. I use Kester 245 for all my leaded work, which is a 63/37 alloy.

And just a quick word on the lead-free's, I don't use them because I want to, I use them because I have to. It's a requirement in the EU that all electronics must be less than 0.1% lead. There are NO exemptions in Europe any longer for Aerospace or Medical. So basically anything made to sell overseas is going to be lead-free these days, and California has also implemented some RoHS requirements for consumer electronics. The California rules do not have much affect on us just yet, as it really only applies to CRT and LCD screens, but chances are it's coming to more things in the future. It can be soldered well, but it takes more heat and duration, which of course increases the chance of damage. In the right conditions it can also develop whiskers, usually that requires heat, current, and moisture, but it is a real possibility. Not as easy to work with for sure, and more expensive. But I either use the stuff for the products I sell, or I lose the 30-40% of my customers that are in Europe. Easy decision.

-Hans

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I hate nothing more than to get a ROHS-lead free board; and not have the soldering work quiet right because usually Lead solder and lead-free solder don't react well together. The junctions look like dull cold solder joints; even when they aren't. Additionally; LeadFree solder requires much more heat to reflow than the leaded stuff.

Sounds like they are using SAC305 solder. It is the pricier lead free, and a bit easier to work with, but does give dull looking solder joints due to surface striations as it cools. SN100C gives you traditional shiny joints, and is less expensive, but needs to be run hotter and has a tighter process window.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-meaningful-discussion-about-solder?tu=HHaase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.