(Topic ID: 164755)

A meaningful discussion about buffing wheels.

By Skypilot

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

grinder (resized).jpg
    pasted_image_(resized).png
    th_(resized).jpeg
    Schultz_IKnowNothing_(resized).jpg
    ring-buff_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    60ced0239fde0404419e39c643efdb0166de0507_(resized).jpg
    e3fd5285d0732c63d23f82c54a6afc2fe547cb17_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpeg
    wheel_chart_(resized).png
    step_03_(resized).jpg
    hand_(resized).jpeg
    2ci8in6_(resized).jpg
    Misc_018_(resized).jpg
    Misc_017_(resized).jpg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

Great topic!

I picked up a 1HP eastwood as an upgrade to my older unit a few weeks ago but haven't hooked it up yet. It seems to be one of the better deals for 1HP unit that still runs on 120v : http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-1-hp-buff-motor-dual-speed.html

Has anyone found anything more powerful that you can run on standard 120v? It looks like you need to get into 230v and then phase converters if you want to get beyond 1.5HP.

-Jay

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

Great topic!
    I picked up a 1HP eastwood as an upgrade to my older unit a few weeks ago but haven't hooked it up yet. It seems to be one of the better deals for 1HP unit that still runs on 120v : http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-1-hp-buff-motor-dual-speed.html
    Has anyone found anything more powerful that you can run on standard 120v? It looks like you need to get into 230v and then phase converters if you want to get beyond 1.5HP.
    -Jay

More HP is not necessary unless your using 8-10" buffing wheels. Even some of the higher end baldor buffers are 1/2-3/4 HP. I think the difference being with a 1/2 HP baldor your getting a true HP rating. I think if you bought a cheap 3/4hp vs a quality 3/4hp buffer you will see a huge difference. There's a big price difference though. HF, craftsman, husky, etc will all embellish their rating quite a bit. Usually buying a quality buffer the same size is much better than buying a bigger cheap buffer.

#54 3 years ago

I'm using 10 inch wheels and would like to be able to move to 12 inch at 2 inch wide. From what I've seen you are at 3HP+ for a 12 inch x 2.

To be clear, I'm not talking about getting this for polishing pop rings or lane guides (although it would cerainly make quick work of them). I would like to be able to buff out lock bars, side rails and coin doors and not spend half a day doing it. This is in prep for nickel plating and also for candy powder coating.

-Jay

Here is an example of the kind I see show up near me - often in the $500-$1000 range

pasted_image_(resized).png

#55 3 years ago

Seems that a tumbler with polishing material would be safest for small parts, is it possible to get the results without the risk. I love the way those pop bumpers look wheel polished but this talk about getting a piece wound out of your hand, its those buggers that have room to stab and grab and would personally pass on trying those.

I've done a fair amount of buffing, mostly bronze when I did foundry work, and some car trim, but mostly large heavy stuff.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Bench mounted can fling a piece down to the table, or to the back, Pole mounted can send it at you.....maybe there is more
    to it, but Ive always used bench mounted, with a shop vac exhaust or other hood exhaust.

No difference in the danger IMHO.
    I assure you a bench mount can take it out of your hands shoot it across the room and back again. Hitting you in either direction.
    If you buff without eye protection you were warned.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I use green on the soft steel pop rings and it quickly brings them to full mirror.

wow

2 weeks later
    #58 3 years ago

I am using a Baldor 1/3 hp with 6" wheels. Also using a cheap 2 container tumbler.
    The Baldor motor is the real deal.

3 months later
    #59 3 years ago

What do folks use to buff to a mirror shine classic cabinet side rails? These obviously are much wider/longer than playfield parts. Is there a wider buffing wheel used so things come out evenly?

Anyone ever use something like this for such a job?

http://www.csunitec.com/metal-surface-finishing/linear-grinding-blending-and-polishing/professional-electric-linear-finishing-system

#60 3 years ago

Funny that this thread popped up.
    The ramp on my Raven is clouded, broken & missing a piece, so I bought a sheet of polycarbonate & solvent & drew up a template in CAD. I'm going to use a rotary tool with a router attachment & a spiral bit to cut it. I'll use a sanding drum in a drill press to even out & clean up the edges.
    I was thinking last night that I could use 1500 grit sandpaper to get rid of most of the sanding marks & then put a buffing wheel in the drill press & buff out the edges. I've got rouge from back when I had a '79 Trans Am & buffed up the rims.
    What type of wheel & what colour would be best? Vid's table on the first page says to use a 'string' buffer & blue compound. I'll have to make sure I've got blue. What a 'string' buffing wheel?
    Then again, maybe I'm being too anal. The solvent will probably end up making the edges clear anyways.

#61 3 years ago

Side rail buffing tool question bump

1 year later
    #62 2 years ago

What do you think about this thing for $35? Its at a sale just down the street right now.

grinder (resized).jpg

#63 2 years ago

Xsftoys
    That’s the same one my dad had, i used it a lot and it never let me down.
    The only thing is it’s not variable speed, but it does have the power.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I hold them so the ring and the wheel are parallel.
    (Sorry no pic, just the best I could draw on my phone, lol)

If those rings have the removable rods I remove the rods and screw the ring to a medium length piece of wood cut with a radius that matches the ring and use the wood as a handle. For flat pieces of metal with any kind of holes I will screw the metal to a flat piece of wood to have something to grip.

Wood screws and sheet metal screws get screwed into a piece of wood. Small bolts get shoveled into a hole drilled into a piece of wood.

Side rails get screwed to a long piece of wood for solid support.

Ball guides are tricky. When possible I will hold the guide to a piece of wood as a backstop in an effort to get away from trying to polish something that feels like tin foil. And never turn the ball guide sideways to the wheel; The wheel will grab the edge of that ball guide and fling it. And now you are sorry for if you did not hurt yourself your probably destroyed a ball guide.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

What do you think about this thing for $35? Its at a sale just down the street right now.

Buy it. That unit will have all the torque you need and own't bog down wen you lean into it.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Ohhhhh ... Damn! I knew this stuff gets everywhere but had no idea it was bad to breathe.. So do it outside? I need to find a base to mount my wheel.
    And yeah -- ditch the gloves for sure and any loose clothing.

As other experienced people posted, wear leather gloves. Mandatory for safety never mind the parts get hot and if you slip, and you will, the wheel will clean your skin right off. A decent 3M breather will be fine for light work. And don't forget eye protection. Oh yea, you'll need a good bar of soap too.
    2 good choices for small quantity supplies
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#buffing-wheels/=1b3771q
    http://www.tptools.com/
    I've owned a polishing shop as a part of my business since 1982 with 14 people buffing stainless full time, it's not clean, but there's no better way for a great shine.
    Have fun!!

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

What do folks use to buff to a mirror shine classic cabinet side rails? These obviously are much wider/longer than playfield parts. Is there a wider buffing wheel used so things come out evenly?
    Anyone ever use something like this for such a job?
    http://www.csunitec.com/metal-surface-finishing/linear-grinding-blending-and-polishing/professional-electric-linear-finishing-system

Forget that grinding tool. Get a piece of wood 3/4" x 4" or 3/4" x 6 wide and a little bit longer than your side rail. Screw the rail to the wood with some small #4 screws. if you have the option, screw or clamp the wood and rail to your work bench. If you have a DA, all the better. Use the DA with some 1500 or 2000 and some 2500 grit DA sanding pads and start sanding until you get an almost mirror finish. Then go to the buffing wheel.

If you don't have a DA, then get out the old sanding block and start blocking sanding the rail with progressively finer grits of sandpaper. Hand power is slow but it will get you there.

Also, those #4 screws you used to attach the rail to that length wood will need to be moved around when they get in your way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    $ 57.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside