1_ZBrg1rPPv-hvte0RkBYgPA (resized).jpg
IMG_0685 (resized).JPG
20240217_083247 (resized).jpg
20231231_181244 (resized).jpg
20240102_152844 (resized).jpg
20231231_181256 (resized).jpg
20231231_181308 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Car door tilted alignment fix. Posted by cpr9999 (1 year ago)

Post #1336 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bowling Alley release post binding alternative fix. Posted by flynnibus (1 year ago)

Post #1393 TECH:FAQ. Link to Official Service FAQ for TBL. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1397 TECH:ELECTRICAL. MPF board issue some machines had - solution. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1423 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Jesus ramp rejected shots fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1540 TECH:SOUND. Subwoofer suddenly stops working - fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1580 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Rug toy switch sensitivity adjustment FAQ Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider time.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 4 years ago

It seems like the P-Roc mounting fix has been corrected a newer version of the board. Maybe I missed it, but I hadn't seen that update mentioned anywhere. It appears the fix is no longer needed as the board now has a mounting point for that bottom left hole. This is a photo from the latest batch of TBL:

IMG_0761 (resized).jpgIMG_0761 (resized).jpg
IMG_0763 (resized).jpgIMG_0763 (resized).jpg

Notice the P-Roc fix in previous mainboards

TBL3 (resized).jpgTBL3 (resized).jpg
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread#post-4426895
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread#post-4423849

I noticed that there is a ribbon cable below the p-roc on the board sd_tom has which doesn't appear on this one. I think that's an expansion port so he must have a mod or something plugged into that. Does anyone see any other differences between the versions of the mainboard?

#72 4 years ago

sd_tom what are you doing to keep the upper playfield ball guide in place? I watched your video and saw the amount of play in the trough, but what's keeping it from moving around? It doesn't seem to have any mounting point on the exit end. Since that's a hard 2" drop off that piece, thinking that might be a good place for a piece of mylar.

Side note for future reference - I messed with the lower switch in the car garage by unscrewing one of the screws holding the switch on. I left it a little lose and the garage door started spazing out a lot more than it did previously. I wonder if adjustments to that switch could make the door behave better. Its just a simple switch, but thinking back to how MPF handles switch bounce/delays, I'm also thinking software could be adjusted for that too.
IMG_0769 (resized).jpgIMG_0769 (resized).jpg

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

can you refresh my memory on the video you looked at?

You posted about adjusting the upper playfield loop in comment #3:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EjCEGGwkMhe7EoHEIe9HbeVq_qzSLZLIDQ

2 months later
#79 4 years ago
Quoted from DG_Amuse:

Has anyone experienced an issue where your machine doesn’t recognize when a ball has drained? My machine is doing this fairly consistently and I’m not sure what the cause is. Switches all seem to be working. I can manually kick balls out of the trough all day long and the machine just keeps playing that same ball... never ends that ball. After doing a reboot the machine will play fine for a while (sometimes 10 games, sometimes 100). I’ve tried a few different code versions thinking it might be a bug, but no luck. If you have experienced this same issue have you made any progress in finding a solution?
Thanks for your time,
John

Did you ever get your game sorted DG_Amuse ?

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

from the other thread, yours looks like it was having different issues. stuttering is vibration of the swing motion itself.. nothing to do with switch registration at either end. if i recall, yours looks like the issue was a with finding home position.
for example, mine was rock solid with both home position and hit position registering perfectly.. just vibrated during transition. now that is gone and the whole thing works 100% now.
one thing i did 3 years ago is at a little teflon grease on the bushing.. i didnt help with stuttering but might help with stiction with your case.
i can probably take a video of me manually moving my car in test mode and show where the switch trips on mine both home and deployed positions.. after Thanksgiving

adamross I fixed the car spazzing outing issue. Along with the v0.51 update, the car is now buttery smooth and doesn't open/close rapidly on start/end ball. The issue is in fact related to the home position switch. I found that over-tightening the topmost screw actually kinks the switch out. Maybe it's putting pressure on the switch internally as well. I loosened the screw up a little and it fixed the spaz issue. I didn't initially think this was the problem because the switch was making contact with the car no problem before and after adjustment. I fiddle with it a bit pulling the switch tab out further and that didn't help. So it might be an internal issue with overtightening. Not sure if it will ever move again on me but this is confirmed the issue I was seeing.

Support video:

5 months later
#210 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

copying here as its come up lately in a PM and then again in the club thread. you can get to the point of a system error popup from linux. i got this in dec 2016 and worked it out. i reported it to Barry at the time with:
----
In case this comes up for anyone else. I started getting a system program error pop up window every boot and it would pop up over the top of the TBL software.
I just fixed it, using advice here:
https://itsfoss.com/how-to-fix-system-program-problem-detected-ubuntu/
It was a piece of gnome that had crashed. So , not sure how much you want to touch the OS in software updates but maybe disable the notifier as it suggests / or clear out the /var/crash regularly?
For me, I just deleted the file, will see if it comes back (hasnt yet)
----
and i can say here in 2019 it hasn't happened again either.. i never did the extra step of disabling the service. maybe lucky in that aspect.
and given im surprised a URL from 3 years ago wasn't dead already.. the gist was to clean out the crash log directory; open a terminal and run
sudo rm /var/crash/*

Adding to this, I found the best way to open terminal from the game is:

1. hookup a USB keyboard
2. Press "Esc" to exit the running TBL game code
3. From the black desktop screen press "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "F1"

Login: dp
Password: dp

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Has anyone had and figured out the garage door closing stutter? I sent Barry a message but haven't heard back. It starts every time you begin a ball in the shooter lane for about 5 to 10 seconds, then stops.... and same when you drain a ball.

kidchrisso Fix: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/2#post-5326843

#223 3 years ago
20200522_172056 (resized).jpg20200522_172056 (resized).jpg20200522_172115 (resized).jpg20200522_172115 (resized).jpg20200522_172132 (resized).jpg20200522_172132 (resized).jpg
#225 3 years ago
Quoted from r6emperor:

Thanks Time
So you are open side out with the drive nut on top. Have you had any issues with your rug? Do you have an ARA game or one of the new Barry-built games?
I'm pretty sure that is how mine was before disassembly

I've had no issues with the rug. I greased the spindle when I first got the game. Other than that its stock. It's a late ARA game.

1 week later
#231 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

i think the USB ports on those AsRock motherboards are kind of flakey in general. I bought a backup one that I use for my garage PC, and things are getting disconnected/connected randomly on that as well. I ended up finding the one port that seemed most reliable, and put a USB hub in that (for garage PC). For the TBL I just don't touch it too much.. the way everything is fixed mounted, less wiggling going on.
So, it could be if you plugged it all in again, it would be fine. There is also USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 ports which could factor

TBL uses Mission Pinball Framework as its core programming framework. In MPF, physical USB port addresses are hard coded in the yaml files by default. Unless DP wrote something special to manage USB, then yes changing the USB ports around would interfere with the p-roc and MPF talking to each other.

1 month later
#261 3 years ago

My scoop is kickout the ball out at about half power all of the sudden. Changing the MS settings makes no difference. Its creating a straight down the middle drain every time. Its barely enough power to even eject the ball sometimes and tries repeatedly. My game has barely any plays on it so I wouldn't expect dirty coil sleeve or anything like that. Its for sure coil power related because the ball isn't catching on the exit, just not enough power get it up and out of there properly. I've had coil power issues with the VUK since day one. That too seems to barely make it up top and requires a couple of tries.

Has this been addressed yet? Didn't initially see anything when search scoop in this thread.

#271 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

I had the same happening and when I looked under the playfield I found out that the assembly had come loose. Retightened it and has been perfect again ever since.
So have a look under the playfield to check this and let us know

Thank you Rensh

This was indeed the issue. One screw was missing and the other was very loose. I suspect the force of this mech is wiggling the original screws loose. I stepped up the screw thinkness to make sure it was properly tight. It appeared the holes were a little too worn for the original screws to work well. I replaced with two #8 x 1/2" Unslotted Hex Head Screws

Perhaps everyone should check their games. I'd worry about this coil breaking something if it just fell down loose and continued to fire while it's trying to eject the ball. It's very close to custom PCBs.

Missing screw, second very loose, and worn screw holeMissing screw, second very loose, and worn screw hole
Replaced with #8 x 1/2 Unslotted Hex Head ScrewReplaced with #8 x 1/2 Unslotted Hex Head Screw
Fixed with new screwsFixed with new screws

2 weeks later
#275 3 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

who else of the TBL owners had problems with breaking plastics so far?

One of my plastics in the back arrived broken NIB. Haven't had any issues since. Wish we could buy individual replacement pieces.

7 months later
#431 3 years ago

Got another bowling ally not registering the ball. This issue just bricks the game.

Had Let's go Bowling, Start Multiball, and Mark It Zero stacked when I entered the saucer.

It started Let's go bolwing, I selected the dude, missed first shot. Hit second pin, animation shows hit, the game never leaves the mode. It sits there forever. I did figure out that tilt will reset the game. Then after it tilts and a long time, ball search does recover the ball.

There needs to be a way to recover from this. Even if its a switch not registering 100% of the time, it can't be solely reliant on that with no way to recover. I don't have issues 95% of the time, but these 5% times kill the game.

5 months later
#746 2 years ago

My game had a bad mini playfield board. The "G" led wasn't lighting at all and I was getting a ghosting light effect on other nearby leds when the lights should be off. The game had been this way since new but never noticed until I looked closely at it.

Insert G should be on and it is notInsert G should be on and it is not
I and N inserts ghosting when lights should be offI and N inserts ghosting when lights should be off

I emailed Barry and he sold me a new mini playfield board for €70,00. DP sells the MPF upgrade kit (€250 I think?) that includes a new PCB, but I decided to forgo that upgrade.

The original TBL mini playfield pcbThe original TBL mini playfield pcb
The new TBL mini playfield pcbThe new TBL mini playfield pcb

If you get the upgrade kit the new PCB has room to move the stepper motor up to under the MPF. I looked through the upgrade instructions and decided moving the stepper wasn't for me. Though I did end up doing just as much work on my own solution as the MPF upgrade. Probably worth just upgrading if you're doing this.

While I was under the MPF, I made a few extra changes:

The early MPF plastic ramp didn't have a hole for your screw driver to remove this bolt. Later builds have a hole from my understanding. I was able to get the screw off/on without it, but when I had to take this off again, I got fed up and made the hole.

The early ball guide - no holeThe early ball guide - no hole
Made my own holeMade my own hole

I never loved the white rubber and red targets on the MPF. Always felt like the handicap targets should be blue. I know there are stickers, maybe I'll order those, but while I'm here I switched out the targets. Also switched the post sleeve rubber to grey to match the building better. Using standard gray post sleeve from Titan.

Gray post sleeve rubber on the MPFGray post sleeve rubber on the MPF
The rubber needed a little heat to remove from the postsThe rubber needed a little heat to remove from the posts

Blue targets are a DIY project. The red ones appear to be a standard Williams part (minus the connector). Pinball Life sells the targets in red (pbl-100-0060-00) but I couldn't find blue assembled anywhere. Marco sells the blue caps (#03-8304-1) and PBL had the rivets you need. Semi Tubular Rivets 5/32", 9/16", and Rivet Washers. Though I forgot to put the washer on this one but it didn't seem to make any difference. I followed THIS guide.

Making a blue standup targets for TBLMaking a blue standup targets for TBL
Blue standup targets for TBLBlue standup targets for TBL

The last upgrade I wanted to do was replacing the plumbing fitting that connects the garage door to the stepper motor. The MPF upgrade kit fixes this, but moves the stepper up top. As others have discussed before, I bought a coupling with threaded pins to replace the brass plumbing one.

replacement couplingreplacement coupling
I bought this coupling off (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P95G6ZK) Amazon but warning it does need to modified. The shaft and stepper rod are both 5mm. The coupling I found was only 5mm on one side and 4mm on the other. I drilled out the part with a 5mm bit to make it work. You won't just find a 5mm bit at harbor freight. Plan to order this if you're doing this yourself as I had to order a set from Amazon after learning this.

Drilling a 5mm holeDrilling a 5mm hole
finished TBL stepper motor couplingfinished TBL stepper motor coupling
Stepper motor with new couplingStepper motor with new coupling

When reassembling the MPF, I fixed an alignment issue I've always had on the Walter ramp. It was just too low on mine and the lip seemed to cause a lot of balls to fall backward. I added washers under the ramp to make it flush with the MPF.

Washers under the Walter ramp to make it flushWashers under the Walter ramp to make it flush

And that's it I put the MPF back together and now have working lights with blue targets and gray rubber. Though I still need to order the right size translucent ring.

Blue handicap targets and grey post sleevesBlue handicap targets and grey post sleeves

1 year later
#1513 1 year ago

Did the car registering switch code change in 1.0? It seems car hits only register when both parking switches change from closed to open. It seems like the door is pushing against the switches the whole time. Maybe thats normal, I forget. But if you hit the car hard enough to cause the car to bounce forward, it opens up the switches briefly and registers as a hit. Otherwise hits to the car that don't cause the switches to open don't register.

I don't remember having such issues hitting the car prior to 1.0. I thought the right parking target switch should be closed when the car door is fully open but the left target shouldn't be. Then hits to the left target trigger the "hit"

In this video hitting the car does nothing, but pulling it away registers the hit. Are your games like this?

#1516 1 year ago

Yet another MPF PCB issue -

Following up on the parking switch issue in car modes -- I ended up taking off the MPF tonight to look at what was going on. Turns out I had a much bigger issue. Looks like I was having the PCB "bending" issue discussed during the Right Ramp Made switch and PCB board issue: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/11#post-6256608

I had previous issues with the Right Ramp Made switch up here intermittently working but it never was bad enough to trigger me looking for a solution. I'd see reports it wasn't working but then it would successfully test ok and go away. My MPF PCB is actually a replacement (2nd Gen) because I had a dead LED since NIB on the first generation board. Well I think all this is now related. That board was definitely sitting on the metal Jesus plate like the issue above showed and tonight I saw it had cut into those Right Ramp Made switch wires. Additionally, the pressure on the PCB was affecting the way the Parking targets seemed to be working.

20221015_202649 (resized).jpg20221015_202649 (resized).jpg

I don't appear to be having the grounding issue on this board. And I don't want to replace yet another PCB as I think the pressure from the board sitting on the screw is what's causing these boards to fail. Sorry if this has been discovered previously, but I think the only solution is to raise up the MPF. The problem is you need to raise it up quite a bit. So... I did that.

Added a stainless steel nut to the MPF standoffAdded a stainless steel nut to the MPF standoff

I added a stainless steel nut to the 3 MPF standoffs. I ended up removing the original washer here as it was too tall. Appreciate the nut coded AHH and that's what I was saying to myself when I tried this dumb idea. I had these on hand but I believe they came from Home Depot. The nut is 5.5mm tall and fits the standoff well.

20221015_205126 (resized).jpg20221015_205126 (resized).jpg
20221015_215703 (resized).jpg20221015_215703 (resized).jpg
20221015_215918 (resized).jpg20221015_215918 (resized).jpg

Well this effects a bunch of things:

1. The habit trail will be lower but it can be easily bent upward.
2. I can no longer secure the backboard to the MPF with those two screws.
3. The Walter ramp has a slightly steeper angle but it doesn't appear to be any more difficult IMO.
4. There is a harder drop off from the MPF onto the habit trail but it doesn't appear to cause issues.
5. The space between the bowling alley roof and the wood brace below the glass is tight but it doesn't touch.

My garage door stepper motor was modified previously with a coupling to make it easier to remove. If your stepper is the newer version that's attached to the MPF, no issue. If yours is 1st gen like mine, you'll likely need to do the coupling mod.

So much room for activities!So much room for activities!

Well the MPF PCB is off that metal plate now and those switch wires aren't being crushed. I'll run it like this for awhile and report back if I notice any issues. But for now my switches all seem to be working correctly up there. Raising up the MPF while drastic, seemed to solve my issues and wasn't too difficult. I wouldn't go any taller than the 5.5mm I did. But you could get away with slightly less if you find a shorter spacer.

#1517 1 year ago
Quoted from RobF:

My game was missing the upper flipper bushing, so I printed my own. It press fits into the upper pf from above. I designed the bushing to interface the flipper shaft with three narrow rings to limit friction (as opposed to the entire busing inner wall being in contact). After a quick test play, it is 100% improved. It has zero side to side play and rotates freely. If you have access to a 3d printer you can download it here;
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5568452
[quoted image]

Maybe print a few a sell us some I'm interested

#1531 1 year ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

I assume these the same standups that replace the lock targets next to the Dude ramp as well? I've been meaning to replace those forever as, like Spelunk71, one gets stuck closed all the time at this point.

I swear those dude ramp standup targets were originally teal / Tiffany Blue colored in the prototype DP brought to Expo 2016. But I've yet to see a photo confirming that. Nor does that color seem to exist anywhere. An unsolved mystery.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

15,000 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 210.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider time.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread?tu=time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.