1_ZBrg1rPPv-hvte0RkBYgPA (resized).jpg
IMG_0685 (resized).JPG
20240217_083247 (resized).jpg
20231231_181244 (resized).jpg
20240102_152844 (resized).jpg
20231231_181256 (resized).jpg
20231231_181308 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Car door tilted alignment fix. Posted by cpr9999 (1 year ago)

Post #1336 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bowling Alley release post binding alternative fix. Posted by flynnibus (1 year ago)

Post #1393 TECH:FAQ. Link to Official Service FAQ for TBL. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1397 TECH:ELECTRICAL. MPF board issue some machines had - solution. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1423 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Jesus ramp rejected shots fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1540 TECH:SOUND. Subwoofer suddenly stops working - fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1580 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Rug toy switch sensitivity adjustment FAQ Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thepinballco-op.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#606 2 years ago

What a ride this thread was for the last few days, sheesh. Glad that was figured out.

The best part is all the owners and people involved with TBL who worked together to find the solution. It's stuff like this that will build confidence in buying/selling TBLs to other people. Good work everyone!

#616 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Update on the right flipper losing its hold strength when the ball hits it from eject out of the scoop (too many posts above to quote everything):
After further testing with the tech today, he was able to reproduce the issue on both L & R flippers without the scoop eject in play. If the ball strikes either at the right velocity, if that force is enough to move the coil arm / flipper down enough the magnetism is lost and the flipper(s) go lose until the button(s) are released and pressed again. It appears the scoop eject is just the most likely culprit to provide the amount of velocity and angle on the flipper to cause the issue. Changing the coil strength on the scoop eject has no effect. At the lowest it's just as forceful as at the highest. Unsure if this is a software bug or physical. We tried raising an lowering the flipper resting spots to mitigate but that didn't help. We tried all flipper strength settings as well. This means I cannot adjust the strength of the scoop eject nor the position of the flippers to avoid this from happening. The pitch of the machine is now at the recommended 6.5 degrees as well.
The tech suggests a design problem and that perhaps a longer flipper arm would not allow it to happen. But that's still very puzzling because this issue was not from day one, perhaps I was getting lucky but it only started happening about 2 weeks into owning the machine. It's mind-boggling that no one else has reported this issue. Looking for any advice still on this one.
Here's a video showing how easily this can be reproduced on both flippers:

This same thing has happened on both Stern and Spooky machines. Does TBL use the P-ROC system? Because it was fixed in code.

#621 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

yes. DP uses P-Roc system. Do you have more info in regard to this fix?
This looks like a hold coil issue. With rel 055 the setting can be set to strong which is full force 100% for hold. Stronger than that isn’t possible. The other settings are just for flipper strength itself, not for hold. Since that setting no more hold issues have been reported. The setting is on Strong?

I do. Charlie from Spooky did hours upon hours of testing on this. He said in the following link that it was fixed in the latest code. Maybe you should reach out to him and see what he says? After all, he likes pinball and he's a super nice guy. Maybe he's share it with ya.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/231#post-6172535

#630 2 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Hi, I have been lurking around TBL threads for months now. I want to pull the trigger on one but my question for you guys is. Are this machines very problematic? what's your experience like? I am not new to pinball and I know we always have to work on them, but I don't want to buy a machine that I spent more time fixing than playing. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much and have a great day people.

The worst that can happen is you buy the game, spend too much time under the hood, and then sell it for a few grand more than you paid for your troubles.

#636 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

The fun doesn't stop with my machine. Two new issues popped up today out of nowhere:
1. Shooter Lane Diverter not working: The ball is not going around to Maude letters since the diverter is not lifting out of the way. It looks like there's a secondary spring that's supposed to be attached to an arm underneath the coil but it's just flailing about. Notice how in the second picture it's turned sideways. The little pin mechanism is loose and I don't know but it seems like the spring is supposed to be looped around the hole in the arm below but there is no lead from the spring to do so as far as I can tell.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
2. I realized one of the bowling pins has snapped off. I had to take the entire assembly off in order to retrieve it. Fortunately I had stocked up on mods far before purchasing the machine so I was able to after about an hour's work replace the snapped pin with one from the mod couple. The downsides are that a) their logo is terrible in comparison to the stock pins, b) the pin is larger than stock, c) it doesn't sit flush like the rest of the stock pins. The good thing is that its mold seems far more durable. As you can see in the attached photos, not only did the pin snap off right at its arm, but the cylindrical part of the arm was already chipping due to being so thin/brittle. Even as I carefully removed it from its rod, plastic was flaking off. I also noticed the same deterioration on multiple other pins as I was replacing just this one for now. I've now added a new set of pins to my parts request from DP. Unless the new set DP sends is of higher quality, I'm guessing I'll have to replace them all with the mod couple pins and settle for the poor logos and placement in order to avoid breakage again. This was a beast to take apart and document as I went along in order to not break anything or miss a reconnection afterwards. Anyone else face this issue after owning the machine for a month? (BTW I have no idea why there's seemingly a burn mark on the snapped stock pin.)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don't want to use the "L" word when describing your game but holy crap the hits just keep coming.

10 months later
#1127 2 years ago

Has anyone here figured out a way to keep their pins from breaking in the lower playfield?

Just wondering...

4 weeks later
#1146 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

OK. Visited the DP factory today and obtained more knowledge in regard to the breaking Bowling pin issue and integrated this into a new document.
Learned that the rubber rings will not always do the job. Where they functioned fine on my TBL and reports from several others they were not good enough for current builts
All info is now in this document. Also the link to a STL file for printing your own limiter. Also cause of some reported breakage of last row is explained. Pls study it. Apologies for any caused confusion. Difference in part suppliers we think are causing the Pins to be slightly different which also explains why a lot of people have no breakage at all. They should buy a lottery ticket
[quoted image]

Do you know if the current batch being shipped this week or next already has this installed or not?

1 month later
#1210 1 year ago

My first issue: dead switch behind the car when it closes. Causes the car to shutter or jitter. Test mode shows it does not work.

I assume just replace the switch, but a switch dying is super rare, especially in new games. That’s why I’m posting. I’ll keep this updated.

#1212 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Or trying bending it out some first.

It doesn't register at all in switch test.

I did bend it out first.

#1213 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I just got a switch error from the test report stating "MPF Scoop (stuck closed)." When I go to the switch test, the MPF Scoop is listed which I don't think is correct. I looked at the manual but having trouble figuring out what switch this is referring to and how to access it to adjust it.
Also, and this may be unrelated, but I recently started having a fair amount of shots around the upper playfield loop not register. I have checked those switches and they are all fine, this includes me running 30 balls through it in test to see which switches are registering....that is perfect.
Thanks!

This same exact scenario happened to me just now.

The upper playfield garage switch didn't work, then it did work, then the entire thing didn't work.... also says MPF Scoop (stuck closed).

Maybe I'm going through the same thing.

The whole story: The car / garage started vibrating. I went into switch test and the switch that controls the door closing wasn't in operation. I disabled the car so I could work on it later and continued to play. The rest of the game worked fine.

The day I'm working on the game, I took the garage lid off to get to the switch, put it in switch test and OMG IT WORKS NOW! Why? What!? OK so I put everything back together and went to test the game. I turned it off and turned it back on, and the garage door immediately started vibrating again.

I went into switch test and the switch was dead....... again..... but this time ALL switches on the upper playfield are dead.

I checked for a loose ribbon cable, thinking that was the problem. When things die and work and die etc, something loose is usually the culprit. Not this time.

Below in a separate post are pictures of the game in switch test. Notice the upper playfield with some lights on? That's weird. No other part of the game had lights partially on.

Gonna need help on this one.

#1214 1 year ago
IMG_3077 (resized).JPGIMG_3077 (resized).JPGIMG_3078 (resized).JPGIMG_3078 (resized).JPG
#1215 1 year ago

And for the record, I re-seated the ribbon several times and tested the F10 and F11 fuses with a multimeter.

No sure what to do next.

#1216 1 year ago

omg, now it doesn't even start up! hahaha!

Whole thing is bricked. I turn it on, all I get are 4 lights on the upper playfield that you see in the picture, the backlighting in the backbox, and the LCD screen turns on but doesn't get a signal.

That's it.

I love how this whole thing started with a switch that didn't work.

#1218 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

make sure there isn't a wire pinched and cut, shorting against a metal bracket. I had a TZ crash this way, where someone screwed down the mini playfield with the wires pinched in the U bracket in the back. Everything was all polywampus

Thank you for the suggestion. Everything is along wood, no pinched wires.

#1223 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Your speaking of the ribbon on the upper playfield correct? I’ve had to reseat that several times and it causes many of the problems you started out with. Hope it’s a quick fix for you.

Yeah it’s not that.

All the 48 V fuses are out. Fuse numbers one, two, three, and eight.

No solutions yet, I just emailed the company.

#1225 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

And you got a reply a few hours ago
Hopefully my suggestions will get you up and running again.

Oh thanks. I saw the reply but I had a function at my home so I couldn't get over there to look at it yet. I'll do that shortly and report back.

It sucks to see people walk into The Pinball Co-op for the sole purpose to play TBL and then I have to tell them it won't start.... "that's a bummer, man"

#1226 1 year ago

Just in case anyone else like me needs help starting the game (possible search words: won't boot, won't start, dead, cpu died). This is in the manual, page 120 and it worked for me:

Big thanks to Rens for helping me out.

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 11.58.01 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-06-18 at 11.58.01 AM (resized).png

#1229 1 year ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Right all PCs have this. Jump start PC.
What did you do from there to correct the problem?

The game started, that was one problem (wouldn't start).

The upper playfield still doesn't work even though the ribbon is securely fastened. They are sending me a new flatcable, suspecting that to be the problem.

1 week later
#1244 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePlumber:

Hello and Good Day Everyone
I received my NIB TBL roughly two weeks ago and here are the issues I am encountering.
1) Subwoofer works for short period and then shuts down, both of the upper speakers work just fine all the time.
2) When hitting the rug with the right flipper, it never actuates the rug, only the left flipper (Angle of the dangle?)
3) I have one error code of "(Light) Lock Target (stuck closed)"
Thanks for your insight on this one, look forward to hearing back

1) There's a very tiny button on one of the boards in the backbox with a slot in it. That's the sub power or something. You need to turn it down. It's over-heating and shutting off. There's a post in this thread that points it out, search it.

2) Same with most/all other users. I think I'm going to make it so the rug only needs one hit to unroll. I think that'll make the process less painful.

3) Just gotta adjust the switch manually.

#1264 1 year ago

beauimpala per3per3

Hey guys, we're all in the same boat. We all had the same exact things happen to our games, and now the MPF doesn't work. I just got my game. Did you both just get yours? You guys are describing the same exact things I posted about, which can be seen on the last page with pictures so you can compare: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/25#post-6978646

A friend of mine made a ribbon cable for me to try. We swapped it out and no dice. Same issue, same symptoms.

TBL staff has been nice suggesting issues but so far no luck. Rensh remember me? The issues these guys are having are exactly like mine, 100% accurate.

On Tuesday we'll be disassembling the MPF to look for the error. I have a pretty good crew, I hope to figure it out then and if so I'll share it here.

#1269 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Has anyone had to replace the ribbon cable that runs from the upper playfield to the main board underneath the main playfield. My upper playfield scoop opto switches aren't working and most of the lights in the upper playfield are out. I've tried resetting the ribbon cable and just replaced the opto pair but this hasn't fixed my issues. Curious if anyone has experienced this and if replacing the ribbon cable worked</blockquote

Have you checked those two fuses? Is anything on the MPF working?

The fuses work. The led light is on and I tested them anyway.

Nothing on the MPF is working except the four lights that light up and stay lit.

#1270 1 year ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Thanks Rensh - unfortunately nothing happens when i try to jump the PC. Any other ideas?

When you went to page 117, you looked at type PC2, right?

There's two ways to jump the game depending on which type you own.

#1281 1 year ago

beauimpala per3per3 Rensh

Here's the latest. Just a reminder to anyone reading this, myself, beau and per all have similar issues with our games as the MPF flat out died.

We took the MPF off (super easy to do btw) and disconnected the PCB underneath. Under examination there are some scratches on the board that go across several tracers. The tracers are also cut VERY close to the edges of the board. So close that we had to use magnification to see if the tracers were on the edge or not. It doesn't appear that any of them are but I've never seen tracers so close to the edges of a board before.

We then reconnected the MPF to the ribbon cable (aka flat cable) and then all the lights turned on and blinked and flashed as they should in attract mode, but they were obviously dimmer than they should be. Putting the MPF back on confirmed the dimness of the lights, which were less than 50% bright vs the rest of the main playfield.

We then connected just one switch into the PCB and went into test mode. The switch worked, but when pressed it also somehow activated three lights on the board to about 10-40% brightness each time the switch was pressed. We plugged many switches into different connections and each time the switch worked in test mode but the lights kept turning on.

We then plugged the 4-pronged opto plug in and FOUR lights came on at what appeared to be about 75% brightness. They came on right away. It was the same three lights and a fourth light that appeared to be the same exact lights I showed in pictures earlier. The opto did not appear to be working as we couldn't get it to test.

In all of these tests, no other lights in any other part of the game came on, just lights located in the MPF.

We then noticed everything on the PCB connected to a board called PD-LED1 aka "PCBA-0009-0004 MM167", so we took that board off and gave it a look but we didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

BTW, when I say "we", I mean myself and 1-2 techs I work with. I'm just a peon in the repair world, these other two guys are brilliant. One works in the tech industry and can even make electronic parts for games with supplies he has at his work. He's that knowledgeable.

I surmise the issue to be the PCB. Because the other two guys have experience and education beyond my capacity, they couldn't say with 100% accuracy that the PCB was the problem, but when pressed they both agreed that the likely culprit is the PCB.

So.... your move Dutch.

And keep in mind good guys at Dutch that this game is on location and it's been down for three weeks now. I've had people drive HOURS to come play this game only for them to find out it's broken. It doesn't make me look good.

#1282 1 year ago

Update: Customer support contacted me and will be sending me a new PCB. They offered express shipping at 50 Euros. I declined that option, so it'll be about another two weeks but a new board will be delivered and that should solve the problem.

Fingers crossed but after all the testing we did, I feel confident that this is the issue.

#1285 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Sounds like a MPF PCB issue. Just look at this keypost of what I went through to uncover a broken trace in the same board: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/11#post-6257532

Yeah I read all your posts very carefully when I first started having problems. It's not the same exact issues I had, but somewhat similar. My problems became with the garage door closed switch. First it wouldn't register, then it would, then it wouldn't again, then it would again, and then the whole thing died. I wish I had taken your posts into more consideration, as I would have tested the points you so accurately labeled for all of us. I feel bad not doing so after all the work you put into it.

I think I'll mosey on down to the co-op and do just that sometime today and see if that's what we're dealing with and then report back. Thanks for the reply. I needed a little kick in the behind, didn't I.

#1286 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Sounds like a MPF PCB issue. Just look at this keypost of what I went through to uncover a broken trace in the same board: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/11#post-6257532

So this is interesting. In my continuity test, the lights and switches were all synced together. In the process of checking the board, I found the following tracer that appears to be crossing another. Picture below. This copper wire color is not in any other board picture that I can see.

10E65493-A1EC-445D-9C57-D87265281E86 (resized).jpeg10E65493-A1EC-445D-9C57-D87265281E86 (resized).jpeg
#1287 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

So this is interesting. In my continuity test, the lights and switches were all synced together. In the process of checking the board, I found the following tracer that appears to be crossing another. Picture below. This copper wire color is not in any other board picture that I can see.[quoted image]

To be more accurate, the middle prong of each three prong switch connector showed continuity with one of the lugs on every single light on the board.

#1289 1 year ago
Quoted from mac2444:

Should be easy enough to scape an opening in that messed up trace with an x-acto knife or similar and then give it another test. Worth a shot if you are stuck waiting for a replacement.

I did exactly that, and while it now tests perfectly (no longer has continuity where it shouldn't be) it still doesn't work right. There must be another area where it's messed up, perhaps under the pins already soldered on the board... I dunno. I tried.

1 week later
#1317 1 year ago

Let me know what you find out. I asked about adjusting mine a long while ago but don’t think I ever got an answer. Mine has gotten worse over time it seems.
[quoted image]

Total guess, but it's almost as if there is a loose screw on the hinge.

#1319 1 year ago

I wanted to try and tighten they screw that sits in the hinge area to see if it adjusts anything but need to figure out how to access it. Hope I don’t have to remove the entire upper playfield to get to it. And does that even address the problem? No idea.

The roof of the bowling alley comes off rather easily. Two hex screws. You might be able to access it there.

#1337 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

Update. I removed ALL of the connectors for the board on the MPF....all lights now turn on. I connected switches one by one and they worked....until I got to the scoop...plugging this in made everything stop working. I think this was the same exact issue that ThePinballCo-op detailed. Seems to be an issue with this board if its not the opto which has been tried.

Yes this is similar. The lights worked fine with no switches attached though they were slightly dim. When I plugged in any switch at all on any connector on the board, the lights would flicker or turn off. The switch would not register in switch test.

There are several boards with the same issue. We are not alone! I hope my board arrives any day now and if so, I'll report back asap.

#1342 1 year ago

The upper play field board arrived today and I installed it with great success!

New problem: the car stepper motor is not functioning at all. When I go into stepper motor test, it’s at 0% and it does not allow me to move the garage door open or closed. If I hit the + it just stays at 0% and nothing happens.

I don’t see any blown fuses. Is it possible in my haste to install the upper Playfield that I did not plug-in the stepper motor plug on the board? I find that hard to believe but not impossible.

Edit: never mind I figured it out. The cable that plugs into the stepper motor is not anywhere on the mini play field but instead in a group of wires that are green and blue. They come out from underneath the Playfields and connect into the stepper motor. I figure I'll leave this here in case anyone else makes the same mistake.

Everything works again! IT'S AWESOME!

#1354 1 year ago
Quoted from Thedudeabides77:

But now the trough only distributes the ball on ball one. Rug mode just made a horrendous sound. Had to reboot. Let’s go bowling vuk. Barely spits the ball out. Donny ramp just kicks back every time. Fixed the upper flipper problem. I bought a new game to play. But just problems!! Help!!!

Make sure there are 5 balls in the game. If you put 6 in the trough (like I did) it'll only give you one ball.

Rug making horrendous sound = it's not sitting where it should be to hit the switch. Lift the playfield up and turn the crank to move the playfield down on the back switch, then turn the game on and go into test mode and check. Should be fine.

Make sure vuk is lined up and kicker screws are TIGHT to the playfield. If one is loose it'll be cockeyed and it won't spit the ball up.

Donny ramp? Donny is an orbit. What did you mean here?

#1355 1 year ago
Quoted from Thedudeabides77:

Ok now won’t start at all says loading beeps goes blank. Then says loading again won’t load. I got a lemon!!!

You will have to jump start it. This happened to me too. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/25#post-6985674

#1369 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

I just checked this again. Interlock will not work in switch test. No response when operating it manually or using the door. The switch does indeed work in the game...if the coin door is open, the ball will not enter the shooter lane (until I close the door).

This is bizarre. The game obviously recognizes the switch but at the same time it doesn't recognize the switch.

At least you can still play it and only at start up do you have an issue. Truly weird though.

#1374 1 year ago
Quoted from beauimpala:

I’m happy to report DP sent out a new MPF board and ribbon cable just in case. After testing I confirmed it was my MPF board that had stopped working. All is good now.

Many of us got a game with a bad MPF board. Just on Pinside alone I counted 5 or 6 of us in the May-June batch of games. I wonder what happened and I wonder if we'll see similar problems with this latest batch or not.

#1377 1 year ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Did you send your board back for evaluation?
Agree, it is important to know for future.
If not, post detailed pictures of yours.
Of course, it will be a solder short under a connector or a via that was not properly filled - something hard to detect by the eye.

I did already post pictures on this thread I believe. When I zoomed in on one spot there was a copper wire coming out of the trace.

I assumed that was the issue or part of it but I have no idea.

2 weeks later
#1399 1 year ago

bgpin check out what Rensh said above!

#1403 1 year ago
Quoted from CALencio:

Hello, when I do the bowling skill shot at launch, I'm starting to see the ball roll back to the launcher and not register for it to go up into the alley. Any suggestions? Thanks all

I don't know much about that component, but maybe your launcher isn't powerful enough?

I think you can adjust the coil strength of your ball launcher. Check in the settings.

#1411 1 year ago

If you go into switch test, I wonder if the switch associated with the vuk is being activated. Sounds like it.

1 week later
#1428 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

It’s a stepper motor but acts like a two way motor with switches. So, no worries there.
Instructions on how-to are in the service faq.

Is there a way you can KEY the service FAQ and other such important documents?

They are brought up a lot and while I have them bookmarked now, they were hard to find originally.

1 week later
#1455 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

All leds are controlled via the 2 pdled boards below the main playfield. Have you already tried removing them and put back again, eg reseated them? And if that doesn’t do the trick reseat also Proc board.

I just had a lights flickering / blinking /other issue and this fixed it, fyi. The two boards are screwed in and they are hard to pull out, but sit nicely back in place.

4 weeks later
#1494 1 year ago
Quoted from CALencio:

Found my own answer reading from Rensh: "Here more likely is that the cardoor closed switch needs some adjustment. Looks like it triggers to early leaving the door slightly open.
See the proper page in the service faq but if you remove the roof you can already see the switch. Should be an easy adjustment."
I will do this and report back all!

It's super easy. 2 screws, hex I believe.

1 week later
#1541 1 year ago
Quoted from Eiznah:

Here’s a new one. Had my new game for about 3 weeks now.
All of a sudden, the subwoofer had stopped working in the middle of a game. So I lifted the playfield and inspected the back box and could find nothing noticeably unplugged.
I turned the game off and on and when I started a new game, it worked again. And then, midway through that game, the same thing happened where the subwoofer stopped.
Did the process once more, and the exact same thing.
Anyone know how to fix?
Thanks

Rensh gave the page.

The sub it turning itself off before it dies from being used too heavily. There's a tiny tiny potentiometer in the backbox that allows you to dial down the sub. I have mine turned all the way down, but if I turn specific volumes up too loud, the sub will still turn itself off!

So your solution might include dialing back the potentiometer and adjusting the volume/music levels like I had to.

#1545 1 year ago
Quoted from Eiznah:

Interesting. What are the exact levels you have your audios at?

I can't say exactly (it's at the co-op, I'm at home) but something like 70-80% across the board.

Rensh I keep losing subwoofer sound every time the "Extra Ball" video clip is played. The clip is clearly louder than any other clip in the game, and when the ball hits the floor it's a thud of bass. I had to turn the woofer down so much it's basically off now. Hadn't had a problem before that.

2 weeks later
#1596 1 year ago
Quoted from CALencio:

hello- I'm finding the scoop sometimes fires the ball out and then immediately fires again. Sometimes it'll even trigger whatever is lit on it on the second fire even though no ball goes down- any ideas?

Sounds like a stuck switch inside the scoop. I would look at that.

2 weeks later
#1621 1 year ago
Quoted from okgrak:

I’m having the car fluttering issue, and for some reason the service faq on the Dutch pinball site won’t load. Tried it multiple times now. Can anyone point me to a fix?

There's a switch behind the car that's probably needs to be adjusted. This happened to mine, all I did was take a leaf adjuster to the switch and it fixed the issue.

Quoted from zaphX:

Anyone know how to address issues with the mystery scoop not seeing the ball in there, until I nudge it a few times?
Also, 1.01 code is throwing a test issue, but won't tell me what the issue is...

This happened to me. I cleaned the switch/optos in the area and haven't had a problem since.

Quoted from elcolonel:

More and more frequently now, I am getting the machine booting up into "Coin Door is open!" Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? If I have balls removed, and place them in the shooter lane, the auto launch will shoot the balls. All coin door functions are disabled when this condition is in affect. Interlock switch is known good, and no obvious, wiring or connections are damaged.
Thanks all!

Check the screws on the switch? Or maybe the housing is broken or has moved, so that when the door closes it doesn't push the switch in all the way? Gotta be something weird like that.

Quoted from NC_Pin:

so the switch that indicates that the car is closed. I thought mine was bad, it didn't work during a switch test, so I purchased a new switch and was ready to install it. I went on vacation... came back... and now the old switch is working again. Any ideas on what is going on with it? Cold solder or loose connection? I know others have have replaced the switch... but maybe it's not the switch going bad.

Uh oh. This is what happened to mine before the big issues started. You can search my post history for the full story, but the culprit for me was a bad mini playfield board. It started with that very switch, then went to a light or two, then all the lights, then the whole thing died.

Keep an eye on that.

#1636 1 year ago

Rensh i searched and couldn't find it.

Even with the BA limiters, I had a pin break. I need to get a new set. Couldn't find them on the website. What do I do?

1 month later
#1678 1 year ago

I just had a second pin break. I have limiters installed.

First it was the 6 pin, now it's the 4 pin. So it's the same exact pin on both sides. I haven't had a chance to inspect the others.

Info: Game has well over 2500 plays on it. The bowling alley is used quite a bit. I'd say at least twice per game.

#1680 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Ok. That’s odd. You are, if memory serves me right, the only one sofar with broken pins with BA limiters installed. Yes, 2500 plays is more as average I guess but still odd. Our test ran for 10000+. I would check if the pins are really not able to hit the metal axis of the next row. First one I thought, OK, maybe a bad pin, can happen, but second on same row??

Yeah I had the same reaction. First is a fluke, second is not. Gotta be something I can do. For what it's worth, every time I bowl a frame all the pins go up and down (reset) at least twice. So 5000 plays in the bowling alley = 10,000 times the pins have moved.

It's "on location" but only for two days per week at 8 hours per day.

I'll do some digging and report back. Might be a while though.

#1688 1 year ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

More and more frequently now, I am getting the machine booting up into "Coin Door is open!" Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? If I have balls removed, and place them in the shooter lane, the auto launch will shoot the balls. All coin door functions are disabled when this condition is in affect. Interlock switch is known good, and no obvious, wiring or connections are damaged.
Thanks all!

I'm getting this exact same issue. Not sure what the fix is. I've messed with the coin door switch to no avail. Game was slightly acting up before that happened with lights going funky.

#1690 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

I dedicated a complete section to the coindoor message in latest faq page 321.
You will see the switch operates two segments. If the coils still have power your switch is fine as that’s shared between the 2 segments. Check the soldering of the headers on the distribution board. Had once an issue with cold solder acting up.

Thank you. I'll be checking this Tuesday evening and then I'll report back.

#1694 1 year ago

Problem: Game says "coin door open" and doesn't do anything else. Won't let you start a game, push buttons on coin door, closing and opening coin door does nothing etc.

Solution: F04 Fuse was blown. The red light next to it didn't light up. The game comes with spares (T1.6A) so we popped one in and it worked again.

---------------------------------------------

I wish we had done that at the beginning. Literally the first rule of pinball repair is to check the easiest solutions first and work your way down. But instead we took off the two small boards next to the coin door and inspected the solder; all looked good. We tested the boards with a multimeter; all good there. After talking and analyzing we followed the pathways of the wires up to the main board on the playfield and it was next to several fuses, one of which had a light out. It was labeled "Cabinet". That was the culprit.

Just an FYI if anyone else is having this issue.

#1698 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

That’s interesting. When making my coindoor open faq I tried the same and with me, at that moment, the coindoor open Message didn’t appear when removing that fuse.
Must retry this, perhaps different in current software version or it can be because my switchboard is an older type. And at least change my faq to incorporate this as a check. Always good to check on the fuses after all

For what it's worth, with the fuse blown/pulled the small multimorphic board's lights did not light up.

So if the coin door is open and the small board inside the cab on the left has lights that also don't light up, that's a sign that the fuse could be bad.

1 month later
#1757 1 year ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

On my TBL, the upkicker from "jesus" to the mini-playfield is loosing his strenght after a while. the ball can't get tothe mini playfield.
what can I do?
thx

Are you sure it's losing its strength or is it mis-aligned? I'd check to see if a screw is loose on the housing or if its binding anywhere.

There are also coil strength settings. I'm not sure if the up-kicker is on there or not but it might be. Increase the strength and see if that works.

2 months later
#2014 11 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I just cut down the R/L flipper strength and cut airballs down at least 50%

Yeah I came here to say this. I don't think I went that far but I def cut my flipper power back to some degree. No problems since.

1 month later
#2054 10 months ago
Quoted from RickyBobby1:

I believe that took care of it Rens! Thanks for the help and support - you rock!
Did a four player test after removing and re-installing the PDLED01 and 02 boards and the PROC board - no flickering nor the lights coming off and on randomly.
A youtube of what was happening before reseating the boards:

That happened to me. I didn't remove any wires, I just tugged out then pushed in firmly. The plug probably moved 2mm tops, but I haven't had any issues since. It's been about 2000 plays.

Quoted from madamyates:

Getting balls stuck in a couple places recently. Mainly on the left side behind the orange bowling ball return piece. This is coming from air balls which didn’t occur at first but now it’s pretty regular.
The second place where balls are regularly getting stuck is just to the left of the mini playfield underneath. Seems like it pops up on a plastic somehow and doesn’t shake loose.
Anyone else getting balls stuck in these locations?

Left of the mini playfield underneath?

Do you mean left of the mini playfield, something under the ball? If that's the case, that's happened to me too. It's where the ramp meets the playfield, yes? I took that entire mini playfield off, removed the ramp, and installed the smallest washers I could find to help make it all level.

3 weeks later
#2074 9 months ago

FIXED, but just something to mention.

A friend of mine made it to the wizard mode. At the end of the multiball, everything stopped (as intended) and it went through the final scene, then the game resumed, but no ball kicked out. All coils died.

The 6.3 amp fuse (F1) blew for a second time in the year+ that I've had it.

Good thing the game comes with extra fuses. I popped it back in and the game was fine, but make sure you all have spares. I went to Marco and got a 5 pack for $3.

2 weeks later
#2088 9 months ago

I'm blowing the F1 and F4 fuses slightly over once per year. If anyone plays their game a ton, make sure you have those 10A and 1.6A fuses on hand.

4 weeks later
#2097 8 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

New to TBL and hoping for some help. Newer game (a few months old). The GI started to flicker with the flippers, and the inserts were not lighting. Now, the entire playfield has no lighting (GI or inserts) at all. Checked all the fuses under the playfield and they seem good. Checked the cables.

Lift up the playfield and apply strong firm pressure to the boards that plug into other boards. One or more are loose.

#2101 8 months ago

Hey @rensh, this is not a maintenance question per-se but I'm curious:

Whenever you guys start sending out those replacement playfields (no rush on that btw), can I add some parts as well? My right ramp is disintegrating aka the welding is coming undone, among other things, so could I add things like:

-- A right ramp
-- A left ramp
-- 20 bowling pins (I broke 3 more, even with the limiters, all in the same row. I think I figured it out, but still...)
-- A set of plastics

I don't mind paying for it. This is a game I plan on keeping forever, and I want to make sure I have everything I need to keep it looking as new for as long as possible. So (a) can I do this and (b) how can I go about making sure I get these supplies?

#2102 8 months ago

kermit24 The more I think about your issue, the more I wonder if it's the same thing I had. All my games lighting slowly died out, and the culprit was a bad upper playfield board.

There's one ribbon cable that powers up that whole board, and if I remember the other end is connected at the bottom of the main playfield when lifted up. If you disconnect that upper playfield and turn on the game, I wonder if the rest of your lights would turn on or not.

This is what I did and all my lights came back on, and further inspection revealed that the upper playfield aka MPF was to blame.

2 months later
#2155 5 months ago
Quoted from khzevo:

I got my new #TBL last week and have run into a problem I'm not quite sure on. The balltrough kicker has trouble getting the ball up to the shooter lane. Everything looks ok. Fasteners are tight. The rubber grommet looks ok too. Increasing coil strength to 22ms seems to help, but only marginally. I'm pretty sure there's a physical adjustment needed, but I'm not confident on what. I included a link to a video for context. I'm curious what else I should try?

P.S.
The troubleshooting guide was super useful on fixing a car toy jitter issue I was having as well.

If you play this in slow motion, the ball appears to be getting hung up at the top of the eject. Something needs to be bent out of the way imo.

1 week later
#2163 5 months ago

I had the launch diverter coil melt the coil sleeve and stay open... which is it's natural resting position.

I swapped out the coil but nothing happens. We (tech crew) suspect a bad transistor.

We'll report back with more findings after next Tuesday, just a heads up for those who eventually have the same problem someday.

#2174 5 months ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Hmm. A broken mosfet is really really very rare as these mosfets can handle more power as the PSU can deliver. Have seen coils fail (not many) but mosfets I think only once. When you swapped out the coil, you made sure the replacement coil doesn’t have a diode? As the coils all have a connector, did you swap with another coil connector and see if that coil worked ?

I'm sorry to be so late in responding.

The replacement coil does not have a diode, and we ground-tested the coil to make sure it fires and it did. We used a multimeter to test the mosfets and the one we suspect going to the coil is showing different readings than the others that are attached to the same connector.

Good call on the coil connector swap. That's an easy way to test, just to make sure.

#2175 5 months ago

Rensh we officially swapped the cables. The coil operates fine when we do.

Bad mosfet.

#2176 5 months ago

To anybody who needs this info in the future, when you need to pull the transistor to replace it, there are two arms and the backing you need to undo. We had one guy using the solder gun on one left with another guy pulling the leg with needle nose pliers. With the legs removed, we then used two solder guns on the bottom of the transistor and it popped off in 10-15 seconds.

The issue was the shooter lane coil. The transistor in question is the one missing in the pic below.

IMG_4806 (resized).jpgIMG_4806 (resized).jpg

The current mosfet / transistor is "obsolete" (VNB10N07-E) so you need to buy a replacement. Below is what we found at Digikey and should work.

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 9.42.02 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-11-07 at 9.42.02 PM (resized).png

I'll report back when the part comes in and we find out if it works or not.

#2178 5 months ago
Quoted from benime:

jfc, use a hot air station if you're going to remove SMD components lol
also, add leaded solder to the joints first before rework, it'll make it easier.

lol. Yeah... we have a guy that I believe had something like that in his truck if we needed it, but we had bravado!

Thanks for the tip on leaded solder. I may have some and if not I'm sure I can pick some up real quick.

#2183 5 months ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Check your spam folder - usually Rensh responds pretty quick. He's the best.

Agreed.

About the backglass, that sounds like a loose connection. Tap it and it turns on? I've never gone into the backglass assembly, but the problem has to be in there somewhere.

1 week later
#2189 5 months ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

To anybody who needs this info in the future, when you need to pull the transistor to replace it, there are two arms and the backing you need to undo. We had one guy using the solder gun on one left with another guy pulling the leg with needle nose pliers. With the legs removed, we then used two solder guns on the bottom of the transistor and it popped off in 10-15 seconds.
The issue was the shooter lane coil. The transistor in question is the one missing in the pic below.
[quoted image]
The current mosfet / transistor is "obsolete" (VNB10N07-E) so you need to buy a replacement. Below is what we found at Digikey and should work.
[quoted image]
I'll report back when the part comes in and we find out if it works or not.

Just to update this one last time.

The transistor / mosfet was the issue. We put some solder on the backside of the transistor and pushed it onto the board with a soldering iron. We soldered the legs back in place and we were good to go. That means Rensh you have had two go bad, total.

The wire ramp(s) are coming apart. I brought mine to a local guy to get them soldered back together. All set there, too.

Honestly, the game is pretty rock solid despite some issues here and there. I've had a bad board (UPF), some bowling pins broke, the standup targets were all replaced (three green two orange), one transistor, and the ramp re-soldered. This is a game I've had on location (two days per week, 4 hours per day) for 2 years.

Hoping to get that new playfield down the line, and if I could add a few bowling pins and a plastic set somehow to all that, that would be great. I have one broken pin and a plastic that's cracked. Someday I'll replace everything and bring it to my house where it'll reside for the rest of its life, but I gotta get it into tip top shape first.

4 weeks later
#2236 4 months ago

I used to have that issue.

Quoted from Hershmeister:

Hi there - i left my lebowski machine on last night and returned to play it this afternoon, and the start button was not lit. The coin door buttons were not responding either.
I powered the machine off and then back on and after it boots up it displays the Coin Door is Open warning, but the door is not open. The warning remains even if I manually depress the coin door plunger. Additionally the coin door buttons remain non - responsive. I tried multiple power off/on and no change.
Both fans are spinning in the backbox, so I dont think i need to restore the BIOS .
Please help - thanks!

Fuse issue. I think it's the 1.6 amp under the playfield. It should be a 2 amp btw. F04. Put in a 2A otherwise it'll happen again. This has been verified OK by Rensh.

I'm going to double check but that same thing happened to me about 3 times and I think that's what it is.

EDIT: Found it. Just fyi, if you have any issues with this game, it's probably happened before and we have answers

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/34#post-7342912

1 month later
#2259 67 days ago

I'm about to go to the co-op to work on TBL.

The issue is that the ball gets into the VUK on the skill shot or Jesus shot and just sits there. The game acts as if it has no idea where the ball is, then in ball search it'll kick everything but the VUK. Sometimes in the fourth or fifth search it'll kick the VUK, but more often than not it'll bypass it.

I've read of about 10 other people in this thread who has experienced the same thing, but no real solutions were posted by any of you. One of you guys said you are adjusting the VUK switch and even buying a new on to see if that fixes it, but no updates. Another said the pitch of the game helped a little, and another said the adjustment of the switch itself helped. There are probably many of us who have this problem past and future, with no real solutions yet.

Anyway I'm going to go down and adjust the switch and also the pitch and see if any of that helps. I'll report back here.

#2261 65 days ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Also, check if the the rubber which acts as coilstop is still there. See service faq page 111 to see what I mean.
You can do it, no worries, am here as your backup.

You're the sole reason why I bought the game, Rensh. I wouldn't have made the purchase without seeing you give feedback and help to others.

Anyway, the little rubber piece that's supposed to be at the end of the plunger fell out on both the trough kickout and the VUK. Both were giving me tons of issues. I put the rubber piece back and everything went back to normal. I just had a huge tournament today, zero issues with the game. I can't believe that was the culprit. I happen to have extras so I'll be replacing them on Tuesday.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 210.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 22.50
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,000 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thepinballco-op.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread?tu=thepinballco-op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.