1_ZBrg1rPPv-hvte0RkBYgPA (resized).jpg
IMG_0685 (resized).JPG
20240217_083247 (resized).jpg
20231231_181244 (resized).jpg
20240102_152844 (resized).jpg
20231231_181256 (resized).jpg
20231231_181308 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Car door tilted alignment fix. Posted by cpr9999 (1 year ago)

Post #1336 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bowling Alley release post binding alternative fix. Posted by flynnibus (1 year ago)

Post #1393 TECH:FAQ. Link to Official Service FAQ for TBL. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1397 TECH:ELECTRICAL. MPF board issue some machines had - solution. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1423 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Jesus ramp rejected shots fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1540 TECH:SOUND. Subwoofer suddenly stops working - fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1580 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Rug toy switch sensitivity adjustment FAQ Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spelunk71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#714 2 years ago

Mistakes happen of course, but I wonder why this issue wasn’t caught during play testing at the factory.

3 months later
#897 2 years ago

Would someone with a recent build give me some guidance about where these connectors go (power input board and bowling alley mech)? The pictures in the manual don’t seem to correspond completely to my wiring and I want to make sure I don’t @&$! anything up. Thanks.

375411FC-1B22-4A2B-BE99-05553404200D (resized).jpeg375411FC-1B22-4A2B-BE99-05553404200D (resized).jpegA03F62D9-9EB1-45D7-87EA-FA830A8DFB41 (resized).jpegA03F62D9-9EB1-45D7-87EA-FA830A8DFB41 (resized).jpegB99E3931-981D-4D0C-8E52-A9F3C86188B0 (resized).jpegB99E3931-981D-4D0C-8E52-A9F3C86188B0 (resized).jpegD699DB6C-7740-44EB-83A5-BF0306D3D0D9 (resized).jpegD699DB6C-7740-44EB-83A5-BF0306D3D0D9 (resized).jpeg
Edit: Ok, I think I figured it out. What threw me on the main board (second pic) was the middle connector having fewer holes than pins on the board, but I found a picture that showed which ones are not plugged in. On the bowling alley mech, I just plugged in the connectors that correspond to the correct number of pins to the plugs on the board. If someone could confirm that that sounds correct, I'd appreciate it.
One other question: there was a loose, unconnected cable in the backbox labeled "CPU." I did not see where that would plug in, so I'm assuming it is there for auxiliary power if necessary. Does that sound right? Thanks.

1 week later
#903 2 years ago

Edit: deleted

3 weeks later
#931 2 years ago

After a few games with the new code, I started to get this error message every time I boot up. If I switch to the old code, the message disappears. A system reset seems to have solved the problem, but lost all my high scores. Bummer, man.

4951D032-B967-4CEB-82EE-0C803C43F8BD (resized).jpeg4951D032-B967-4CEB-82EE-0C803C43F8BD (resized).jpeg
#938 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

See the appropriate section in my service faq at https://www.dutchpinball.com/the_big_lebowski_pinball_support.php, page 121

Thanks! I missed that. Will give it a shot.

1 month later
#1022 2 years ago

I’ve got a few loose posts, but unfortunately those nuts underneath the playfield are not accessible without removing a whole bunch of stuff. Maybe someday I’ll find the motivation…

1 week later
#1051 2 years ago

Over the past few weeks, I’ve noticed screws/washers of various types in the bottom of the cabinet—maybe six or so in total. I can’t see anyplace on top of or under the playfield where these are missing. Any ideas where they may be coming from?

B5928EAE-0B03-4304-B66D-F2D82E262D35 (resized).jpegB5928EAE-0B03-4304-B66D-F2D82E262D35 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#1095 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Please tell me there is some better way to reach the screws under the left ramp area than removing the entire main board?
Plastic to the left of the ramp was loose… i see its screwed from underneath (why not a tnut?) and this entire area is obstructed by the main board. I can see a screw loose and leaning on the board near that daughter card board
And why the mix of torx and non torx in the game. I don’t normally carry torx bits in the bag for space reasons.

I was able to access that area to tighten a plastic with a long needle nose pliers, but it was no easy feat.

1 month later
#1138 1 year ago

Every few games I’ve noticed the sound becomes really scratchy, sometimes worse than others. It kind of sounds like a radio station that’s not quite in tune. When I reseat the cables on the sound card in the backbox the scratchiness generally goes away—at least for a while. Any idea what may be causing this?

#1140 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Sounds like vibrations. No pun intended.

No, definitely static coming from the speakers. Sometimes the game sound is barely audible with all the noise, sometimes the noise is less severe.

#1141 1 year ago

Dupe.

#1143 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Try reseating and replacing the audio cable from pc to audioboard.
Does your tbl already have the new OS? If you see the Dutch pinball logo during booting you have the old OS.

I'll try a new cable. Thanks. Re: OS, I'm not sure. I'm running software version .58 and the serial number is 578. I haven't updated any hardware.

#1151 1 year ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Over the past few weeks, I’ve noticed screws/washers of various types in the bottom of the cabinet—maybe six or so in total. I can’t see anyplace on top of or under the playfield where these are missing. Any ideas where they may be coming from?
[quoted image]

So I think I figured out where this hardware came from. When I lifted the playfield the other day, the kickback coil assembly under the apron behind the left outlane fell out. It was just sitting there with nothing holding it in place.

I never found any locknuts in the cabinet with the loose screws, so I’m guessing they just placed the screws in the assembly at the factory but never secured it. Luckily I had the right hardware on hand to put it back together properly. Various other pieces were also loose when my game arrived a few months ago. Maybe mine was a fluke, but it’s probably a good idea to go over everything at first so stuff doesn’t end up flying around.

#1153 1 year ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Maybe a new owner could create and share a drive image for us? I'm curious to see if it fixes that static audio issue that happens when you have the game on for a while since it seems like that could be a driver problem.

I tried a new audio cable as Rens suggested. It seemed to work great for the first few games, but then the sound issue came back. When I turn the machine off and on again the problem resolves—for a while. Is this a known issue with the old hard drive/OS?

#1168 1 year ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Would you be willing to create an image of it using Macrium Reflect or HDD Raw Copy Tool and share it? If so, I can PM you a google drive link to copy it to. I would share it there for others that want to use it to fix the "system problem detected" messages and maybe the static sound issue.

Would you post a link to the hard drive we’d need to order for the installation?

1 week later
#1182 1 year ago

I installed the Cliffy on the saucer, which seems to work well except for one thing: Ever since I installed it, I get stuck balls sometimes behind the saucer. I’m guessing the Cliffy can give the ball some lift on a hard shot which lodges it there. Any ideas how to close off that area to avoid the stuck balls?

#1184 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I was planning on installing the scoop cliffy having just received mine. Where exactly are you experiencing stuck balls?

It’s tough to get the camera in there, but the balls sometimes get stuck in the area behind the left saucer, underneath the blue plastic/flasher. A post in that area would solve the problem, but I’m not sure how to do that without drilling a hole which I don’t want to do.

223C1051-6C9F-4CB1-B9BD-CDBFF475F217 (resized).jpeg223C1051-6C9F-4CB1-B9BD-CDBFF475F217 (resized).jpeg
#1187 1 year ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

It’s tough to get the camera in there, but the balls sometimes get stuck in the area behind the left saucer, underneath the blue plastic/flasher. A post in that area would solve the problem, but I’m not sure how to do that without drilling a hole which I don’t want to do.[quoted image]

In case anyone else has this issue, I think I solved it by just putting an extra pinball back there and securing it to the metal side rails with 3M tape. It’s not visible and takes up the space where a ball in play can get stuck.

3 weeks later
#1227 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Just in case anyone else like me needs help starting the game (possible search words: won't boot, won't start, dead, cpu died). This is in the manual, page 120 and it worked for me:
[quoted image]

Yup, that also happened to me a few months ago and that fix worked. Luckily it hasn’t happened again.

1 week later
#1249 1 year ago

I’m getting mostly rejects on the Jesus ramp—especially on hard direct shots. I removed the upper playfield and added some target foam to the steel wall behind the ramp, but that seems to have made it worse. Any tips to correct the problem?

2 weeks later
#1325 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

While I'm figuring this out....my ball return for the bowling alley comes in too hard and passes right through the stop.....even with the coil at the lowest power. Anyone have this issue? Is there an easy fix for this?

I also had this issue. Bending the stop slightly so it sits a little higher helped, but the ball still passes through occasionally. If you find another fix, please share it.

1 month later
#1415 1 year ago

For anyone else having the problem of the ball blowing past the release pin on the bowling mech after it's launched, I may have a fix. I first made sure all surrounding parts were tightened and in place and experimented with the software settings, but still had the issue periodically. What worked for me was to cut a piece of Lexan polycarbonate to the same size as the top flat part of the release pin and glue it on top with Gorilla clear grip (dries totally clear). I added a small piece of mylar directly on top of the release pin to make removal easier if necessary. The bit of extra height has totally stopped the ball from rolling over the pin when it is launched, and the mech seems to work perfectly--at least after the last five games or so. It is also barely noticeable.

#1418 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Do you perhaps have a picture so I can better understand what you did? Thanks.

Sure. Here it is. The tiny piece of clear Lexan sits on top of the flat rectangular part of the release pin.

CD9D6823-2169-4DCB-84CE-D9281040A9A4 (resized).jpegCD9D6823-2169-4DCB-84CE-D9281040A9A4 (resized).jpeg
#1420 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm still confused by your problem/solution here. Are you saying the pin wasn't raising far enough and so the ball wasn't sticking in the cradle correctly after having the ball fed to the orange cradle? So you effectively raised the height of the release pin to try to make it more effective to block the ball?

Yes, that's correct.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Are you sure the pin was actually extracting correctly and not simply binding?

It seems to be extracting correctly with no issues.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Your solution doesn't look durable to me.. and if the problem was the pin's height, I would focus more on the physical assembly as something must be amiss. I'd try to modify the pin plunger itself to try to adjust it's travel as the last resort. Trying to glue stuff to steel to adjust it's shape isn't going to hold.

I'm open to ideas but am not sure what else to try. I can't see anything awry with the physical assembly. I tried to bend the pin so it sits higher but was not successful. You may be right that the solution is not durable. I guess we'll see.

#1422 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Simply look at the pin when it fails to hold the ball. In many cases the pin is binding and simply not raising enough to hold the ball. It fails to return completely to the raised position. The correct fix for the binding pin is adding a bushing like I outlined here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/27#post-7036761
The binding can be intermittent and work fine in test, but fail in game play. So I encourage you to check out the pin's position in the game during a failure vs just testing with the coil test or by hand.
If it holds the ball fine during a test, or after manual reset.. but fails during play to hold the ball.. it is almost certainly just binding against the bowling alley and not returning to it's full upright position. The bushing fixes that by ensuring the pin stays centered in the hole.

Thanks for the explanation and detailed instructions of your fix. It does sound like that’s my issue. Unfortunately, getting the bushing in there sounds pretty time-consuming. If my ghetto fix fails at some point, I will go that route next.

Now if anyone has ideas of how to stop my Jesus ramp from rejecting balls on hard shots I’d be grateful. I tried adding dead drop foam and bending the bracket slightly, but those things didn’t help (foam made it worse).

#1425 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Does your tbl still has the extra part in place as you can see in attached pictures? If yes, remove it. After removing it Can be in very rare cases your ball stops in that place, reason why the part is there, but is very rare and a nudge will free it. Current builts don’t have that part anymore. [quoted image][quoted image]

I’m not sure but will check. Thanks for the info and pictures.

1 week later
#1439 1 year ago
Quoted from mac2444:

Don't have a photo, sorry. It's just about a 1.5" piece of adhesive rubber I trimmed into a wedge. Stuck it on the back left side of the metal wall so any shots riding near the wall get pushed towards the hole that's over on the right. It's worked really well ever since.

I tried this based on your advice (I used some self adhesive dead drop foam) and it has been a big improvement. Thanks! Occasionally, a hard direct shot will end up in the shooter lane, but rejects are now pretty rare.

#1441 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Any chance you were able to do it without removing the upper playfield? Perhaps with just removing the back panel? I had just removed and replaced the upper playfield to resolve another issue and don't really want to do it again
Thanks!

I hear you. Unfortunately, I think it would be extremely difficult to do without removing the upper playfield, especially since you’d probably want to experiment with placement while rolling the ball up the ramp. I used it as an excuse to clean and wax those areas, but too bad it’s kind of a PIA.

3 weeks later
#1475 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

I’m assuming the upper playfield needs removed to take off the bracket, is that correct?

Yes.

#1480 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

LOL We're good, that's why I posted here because I figured it couldn't hurt and it didn't... Roger that on what to do for now.
Thanks,
Jeff

I have the same issue! It takes extra time to adjust the flipper without the bushing, but I basically got it to work fine. Would be nice to have the updated version when it’s available.

2 weeks later
#1504 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Simply look at the pin when it fails to hold the ball. In many cases the pin is binding and simply not raising enough to hold the ball. It fails to return completely to the raised position. The correct fix for the binding pin is adding a bushing like I outlined here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/27#post-7036761
The binding can be intermittent and work fine in test, but fail in game play. So I encourage you to check out the pin's position in the game during a failure vs just testing with the coil test or by hand.
If it holds the ball fine during a test, or after manual reset.. but fails during play to hold the ball.. it is almost certainly just binding against the bowling alley and not returning to it's full upright position. The bushing fixes that by ensuring the pin stays centered in the hole.

I want to give a shout-out to Flynnibus for this fix. My temp “solution” (gluing material on top of the release post to raise it higher) came undone, so I went with the bushing solution according to Flynn’s detailed and helpful instructions. It now works perfectly. Thank you. Rens: you may want to add this to the maintenance manual, or better yet—have the factory add the bushing to the release post to avoid this problem.

#1527 1 year ago

One of my nihilist stand-up targets is constantly getting stuck closed no matter how many times I adjust it. I think maybe the metal is fatigued from bending too much. I’d like to replace it. Could someone confirm that this is the correct replacement part?: https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-oblong-stand-up-targets.html

#1529 1 year ago

Ahh, got it. Thank you!

1 week later
#1566 1 year ago

Actually, my TBL targets are front mounted (broken TBL target on left). Guess I’ll have to send the new ones back.

97098417-617C-4999-B7C9-5124B46DFBDB (resized).jpeg97098417-617C-4999-B7C9-5124B46DFBDB (resized).jpeg
#1569 1 year ago
Quoted from RobF:

Ah man. Apologies for steering you wrong. Just a couple of weeks ago I had all of mine apart replacing the loose pop-rivets with screws. I thought I had a clear memory of the assembly after that...strikes and gutters I guess

No worries. Mistakes happen. Should have double-checked myself. All the more reason we need a manual with a complete list of parts.

1 week later
#1592 1 year ago

The shooter lane diverter stopped working consistently in my game. Most times now, the ball does not go around the orbit when starting a ball and eventually gets kicked up to the upper playfield (even when right flipper button is not pressed on launch). There seems to be a lot of play in that coil shaft and spring under the playfield, but I’m not sure how it is supposed to look (see pics). Is there something broken or not assembled properly? I didn’t see any mention of this issue in the service guide.

5744D206-B86E-49CF-B74C-1F021C2764CE (resized).jpeg5744D206-B86E-49CF-B74C-1F021C2764CE (resized).jpegDE1A9BEB-A150-4E13-B36B-7F85BD292ED9 (resized).jpegDE1A9BEB-A150-4E13-B36B-7F85BD292ED9 (resized).jpeg

#1595 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

The small spring at the end is broken. Have a good look at the picture and you will see it.
You can buy a replacement at https://www.pinballlife.com/diverter-plunger-extension-spring.html or try to bent the last coil of the spring and extend it. Hopes this makes sense.[quoted image]

Yes, now I see it. Thank you.

#1603 1 year ago
Quoted from theant:

I just got my Lebowski last weekend and now I got an error of rug eos back closed and the machine makes a whirring motor sound. I have less then 50 plays on it, does anyone have an idea on how I can fix this before contacting support.? Any help would be appreciated.

Are both of these silver pieces in place at each end of the rolling pin inside of the rug (keeping the pin/rug on track)? One of mine came off in shipping and I had the same issue.

6AA4E242-860B-4B7D-B562-0E3829DDBAD9 (resized).png6AA4E242-860B-4B7D-B562-0E3829DDBAD9 (resized).png
2 months later
#1723 1 year ago
Quoted from ballzach1:

jyeakley & ray-dude, Thank you for the response, I figured this out following the support FAQ. I have the 3rd gen board, so it was a simple jump of the 3 & 4 pins, and right back at it! I appreciate the help!

This happens to mine every so often. Now that I know what to do it’s not a big deal, but seems kind of odd. Has this glitch been fixed in later builds?

1 month later
#1823 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I am experiencing an issue with the skill shots and the diverter that controls whether the ball is fed to the upper playfield or not when you select the skill shot. If I hold the right flipper to select the upper playfield skillshot it will divert properly to the upper playfield. If it don't hold the right flipper and go for the upper lane skillshot, it will normally still divert to the upper playfield. If I hold the left flipper for the skillshot shot to the rug, it will only send the ball all the way around the orbit to the flippers about 50% of the time...the other 50% will still divert to the upper playfield.
Seems like something is wrong with the diverter since it's very inconsistent. The code correctly applies the selected skill shot, so perhaps the diverter is getting stuck or something and isn't able to properly open all of the time. If I select the upper lane skill shot and just plunge without holding one of the flipper buttons and it incorrectly diverts to the upper playfield, the upper lane skillshot is still lit on the playfield and the upper playfield one is not

Check the diverter spring underneath
the playfield. I had a similar issue and it was broken. Others have also had this problem. PBL sells replacement springs.

E9B843E6-1EE1-45CF-B7AD-5C89B567C9A8 (resized).jpegE9B843E6-1EE1-45CF-B7AD-5C89B567C9A8 (resized).jpeg
#1866 1 year ago
Quoted from EmileL:

Hi TBL fans. Just got mine a few weeks ago, and loving it.
I do have one issue that keeps happening. There is an LED light that sits right next to the Walter ramp. My bulb keeps popping out with play. Mine is housed in the Donny's Folgers can mode https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/the-big-lebowski-custom-mod-collection/products/the-big-lebowski-replacement-redesigned-bowling-pins-individual-1
Any suggestion on how to avoid it popping out?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights

1 month later
#2017 11 months ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Hi guys, I just got TBL in a trade and the ball goes SDTM every time I hit the left orbit and it comes out the spinner lane to the right of Jesus. Is there a fix for this? I spent a bunch of time leveling the game. I'm tempted to put double sided tape to bump it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

I put a small piece of dead drop foam on the ball guide to direct the ball to the left flipper. It took a bit of trial and error but works fine.

1 month later
#2078 9 months ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

Anyone have had this issue? My left button skill set suddenly stopped working, should go through the top and come down tot he flipper, now it gets held in the pops every time?? Just started failing this way tonight, was working fine.
No switch issues from switch test no errors I have found yet.
Thanks!
Mike

See post #1594 in key posts. Maybe your issue is that broken spring?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 210.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spelunk71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread?tu=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.