1_ZBrg1rPPv-hvte0RkBYgPA (resized).jpg
IMG_0685 (resized).JPG
20240217_083247 (resized).jpg
20231231_181244 (resized).jpg
20240102_152844 (resized).jpg
20231231_181256 (resized).jpg
20231231_181308 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Car door tilted alignment fix. Posted by cpr9999 (1 year ago)

Post #1336 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bowling Alley release post binding alternative fix. Posted by flynnibus (1 year ago)

Post #1393 TECH:FAQ. Link to Official Service FAQ for TBL. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1397 TECH:ELECTRICAL. MPF board issue some machines had - solution. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1423 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Jesus ramp rejected shots fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1540 TECH:SOUND. Subwoofer suddenly stops working - fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1580 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Rug toy switch sensitivity adjustment FAQ Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1653 1 year ago
Quoted from JimB:

Bulb came out, see below. Initially blocked ball from exiting. How to reinstall?
[quoted image]

Scrape the useless glue off and use this method to make sure it doesn't come out again:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights#post-4402506

#1656 1 year ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Excited to cool those coils down! Fan kits for TBL shipping on the near horizon?

This week they should start shipping. It was supposed to be today, but customs delayed the last component I'm waiting on. Excited to get these ZEN kits out in the wild. They're very nice.

#1658 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

I feel like my GnR kit of yours is already pretty damn quiet in my machine. How much quieter are we talking here?

The GnR brackets are pretty quiet, but you can still hear them in attract mode if you're close to the machine and concentrate. The ZEN kits are essentially silent once the machine is closed up. Some of the testers weren't even sure they were ON and had to check they were working.

As I learn more, I get better at cutting out the things that cause noise. Quieter fans, steel bracket with less edges to resonate, and karma-glide mounts come together on the ZEN kits to be about 75% quieter than what are now the "standard" GnR kits. Because the technical noise reduction is different than the perceived noise reduction if you have both side by side, your ears would perceive them to be about 40% quieter. Which is still a LOT.

I can't wait until these ZEN kits get out for all the machines so people can get them installed and be amazed. Ask Joel (joelbob on pinside) on his TPN/FlipnOut stream this week about them. He's tested ZENs on TNA and Godzilla and has had the standard ones, too, so he can attest to the reduction in noise. Karl DeAngelo's been testing all the iterations since last summer, too. Some of the other testers only have ever had ZENs, so they can't A/B compare standard to ZEN, but Joel and Karl could.

#1663 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

Fan kits? Please tell me more I've been lurking while I wait for my TBL to arrive (<30 days...) Is coil overheating a major issue for TBL?

It's definitely an issue if you play more than 25-30 minutes at a time. I posted the temp test graph for Lebowski here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-official-club-thread/page/80#post-7147915

As you can see, temps are pretty hot and the flippers are in the fade zone after about 30 minutes, but the cooled version completely eliminated fade for the duration of the cooled test.

The upper flipper did ok without cooling and was stone cold with cooling. It's the reason I recommend a 2 flipper ZEN kit and not a 3 for Lebowski.

#1665 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

Take my money already! How do I order?

They're on pinmonk.com:
https://pinmonk.com/products/tibetan-breeze-deluxe-2-flipper-cooling-kit-for-big-lebowski

And here on my pinside store:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/07376-tibetan-breezezen-2-flipper-cooling-kit-for-big-lebowski

These kits are a brand new, updated design and will be shipping any day. I've just been waiting on one of the components to get here after being hung up in customs.

3 weeks later
#1682 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

Hey all - sorry..had a relatively dumb question...what kind of socket/tool do I need to grab this proper?
Thanks[quoted image]

Guessing but probably an 11/32" socket. You may have to put a cloth around the post below (to protect the metal from the pliers) and clamp on with pliers to keep it from turning, too.

#1685 1 year ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Nope .... this pin is made in Europe and so ... we use metric tools.
Fair enough that now the US pinheads have to buy european tools after all the years we had to buy imperial tools.

So probably 8mm then. I have both metric and SAE sockets because I roll large like that.

#1700 1 year ago
Quoted from Junkhauler:

Mine blew the same F04 fuse about a month ago with the same problems. I popped the hood and found the little lite out and replaced the fuse. Been working fine since. I'm E.A. #66.
Sometimes, not that often, my carpet in my gameroom seems to make static electricity and I will touch a pin or my Stereo and get a little pop....
Maybe that's what happened to my TBL?
There was a lot of activity in the gameroom the nite my TBL went down so not sure if this was the cause......probably not.

You can (and should) fix the static issue around the pins.

Get a spray bottle and make a solution of diluted downy fabric softener 1 part downy to 5 parts water.

Test the solution with a light spray in an inconspicuous area and let dry to make sure it doesn't stain or discolor the carpet.

If that's OK, lightly spray all the carpet where you walk. Should take care of the static for 1-3 months at a time. Repeat as needed.

3 weeks later
#1729 1 year ago
Quoted from Junkhauler:

Mixed up your formula in a spray bottle a few weeks ago and it's fixed my Static issues.... I have had to reapply a few times but it's really dry right now out in west texas.....

Yeah, it's not a one and done permanent solution, but if you stay on top of it, no more static problems.

3 weeks later
#1781 1 year ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Anyone else have the issue where the scoop fires SDTM? I tried numerous things including the velcro hack and finally got around to taking apart the subway and scoop today….alas, I discovered that the welds at the top of the scoop are completely broken…

A saddle bar (~1/2" wide steel rectangle, long enough to bend over the sides also ~1/2 on each side) across the top and over the edges on the top of the curve that is then welded to the sides will be stronger long-term. More of a Dutch solution/production change, but I've fixed enough B/W pins that way that I know it works long-term.

#1785 1 year ago
Quoted from cmdestin:

Just downloaded 1.1 from .58 and now I am stuck on this screen. Any tips?
[quoted image]

Plug a USB keyboard in, use the tab key to navigate to the buttons and try ignore (hit enter once the ignore button is highlighted)?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1792 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

Others getting airballs stuck here? Anyone come up with a solution?
[quoted image]

Common problem, it seems. Essentially needs a plastic shield on that screw holding the plastic to the left of it so there's a transparent wall to stop the ball from hopping the wireform, or a shroud on the bowling ball hood that directs the ball onto the wireform so it doesn't get airborne.

#1795 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

Actually - mine are usually airballs from the playfield. I haven't had anything skip out of the wireform. Thinking something like this might work by simply preventing a landing spot.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/01619-the-big-lebowski-got-balls-mod-not-for-use-on-shomer-shabos

Ah! I don't have a TBL and only played it a few times, so I was unaware how the ball was getting there.

Someone posted a picture with that mod and a pinball that had dropped in to sit with them. So it doesn't prevent it completely, but it might help...

#1802 1 year ago
Quoted from Auror:

Hey all, hoping someone might kindly be able to help me figure out a solution to the pinball in the bowling alley causing damage to the playfield.  
While I was installing the limiters in the bowling alley I noticed damage at the back end of the bowling alley playfield. As you can see in the video, when the ball hits the back of the bowling alley metal bracket it bounces off and hits the edge of the playfield and damages the wood. I've only got 100 games on my machine but the bowling alley playfield is already showing some pretty good wear and peeling of the top layer. 
Does anyone have any recommendations on how 1.) to stop this from happening and/or 2.) on how to best protect the edge of the bowling alley playfield?
Thanks so much for any advice or guidance! 
[quoted image]

Try deadening the ball impact on the metal at the "V" so it doesn't bounce back to the PF. Something like weatherstripping foam, etc that can absorb the impact and let the ball drop.

You could also put another piece slightly below the level of the PF on the PF side that protects it in case the ball bounces back, too.

#1804 1 year ago
Quoted from Auror:

Thanks PinMonk! I tried weather stripping and sound dampening foam this morning and unfortunately I’m still have the same issue. I’m trying it on the playfield side now but struggling to get the foam low enough so the ball doesn’t hit it rolling over it but high enough so that on the bounce back the ball hits the foam and not the top edge of the playfield as the ball is really bouncing back very high on the edge of the playfield after heading the back metal wall.
Do you think it makes sense to add some mylar over the area that is pealing on the bowling Alley playfield?
[quoted image]

I'd do clear nail polish first and let that dry to solidify the spider cracking the ball has caused, then mylar. But you definitely want to get the ball action fixed or even that won't hold for long. If the foam isn't stopping the bounce back, it needs something to direct the ball down and rob more energy from it. Not sure what that is at the moment. Can that tray it falls into be re-mounted so it's a little further back?

#1808 1 year ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Put the foam on the back edge of the wood just below the wood lip. That way when the ball bounces back it hits the foam.

He's saying the ball comes back too high for the foam on the PF lip to do much.

#1810 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

It already has mylar in place. If you look closely you can see it. I am wondering if it’s damaged mylar with air bubbles below it we are looking at.

Ah, right. I see it now. It doesn't look like air bubbles where the ball impacts, though.

Is there a way to lengthen that tray 1/2" or 1"? I don't know how much is available under the mini pf to move out. An angled deflector from the factory would also help the ball down instead of back at the mini playfield.

#1816 1 year ago
Quoted from Auror:

Thanks PinMonk! I tried weather stripping and sound dampening foam this morning and unfortunately I’m still have the same issue. I’m trying it on the playfield side now but struggling to get the foam low enough so the ball doesn’t hit it rolling over it but high enough so that on the bounce back the ball hits the foam and not the top edge of the playfield as the ball is really bouncing back very high on the edge of the playfield after heading the back metal wall.
Do you think it makes sense to add some mylar over the area that is pealing on the bowling Alley playfield?
[quoted image]

I've been thinking about this more. Maybe try a 1/2" or 3/4" thick piece of memory foam? Or you could get a 1" piece and split it so it can straddle the "V" shape with at least 1/2" on the front side. Memory foam is a great dampener of motion, so it might work for this application to kill the ball's momentum dead or almost dead so there's not enough energy to bounce back.

#1838 1 year ago
Quoted from Auror:

I left the damage to the playfield as it was as aesthetics was never an issue for me as you can't see the issue with the playfield while playing and I was mostly just worried that if the playfield was chipping and the mylar was peeling back after only 100 plays then what would it look like after 500 or a 1,000 plays and how that might affect the bowling ball as it's already got a little hop to it while running over the most damaged area now.
So thanks again to everyone for their help and if anyone has the same issue as me and wants to give this solution a try I'm more than happy to ship out a strip of the high density foam at no cost for you to give it a try without having to buy a whole roll of this stuff.
[quoted image][quoted image]

What does it look like in motion, though?! Gotta see it!

#1844 1 year ago
Quoted from Auror:

Here you go Pinmonk! Thanks again for all of your help! It was nice to see it finally work after like the 15th iteration. Now that this project is done I'm on to installing your beautiful new, and much needed, ZEN 2 cooling kit.
[quoted image]

That looks great! Barely makes a dent in the foam before dropping. Excellent alternative to a cliffy that doesn't exist to solve the problem.

Thanks for the support on the ZEN kit! It will absolutely solve any fade issues you have with TBL.

4 weeks later
#1931 1 year ago
Quoted from fabes23:

That worked like a charm! Thank you! BUT, my display does not turn on. I press the power button on the lcd display and it wont turn on and the "power" LED button is not on. The HDMI and PS/2 cables are plugged in correctly. Anyone out there have any ideas?

One of the ribbon cables is unplugged. Is is supposed to be?

4 weeks later
#2010 11 months ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

I realize airballs are airballs and bad stuff happens, but I’ve had a few lately fire off of the left Dude ramp target

This was a huge problem on Ghostbusters. The ball would rocket off the left ramp targets and go airborne, often flying back so hard it could go over the flippers and out of play. I put the swinks angled target bracket on them, and it fixed the problem 100%. No more airballs. You can probably do a budget version of the job the swinks bracket does by 3D printing a wedge to put under the bracket where it screws to the playfield so it angles the target down slightly. But if you don't want to mess with it, the swinks angled bracket is what will solve this issue for you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 210.00
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.