1_ZBrg1rPPv-hvte0RkBYgPA (resized).jpg
IMG_0685 (resized).JPG
20240217_083247 (resized).jpg
20231231_181244 (resized).jpg
20240102_152844 (resized).jpg
20231231_181256 (resized).jpg
20231231_181308 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Car door tilted alignment fix. Posted by cpr9999 (1 year ago)

Post #1336 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bowling Alley release post binding alternative fix. Posted by flynnibus (1 year ago)

Post #1393 TECH:FAQ. Link to Official Service FAQ for TBL. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1397 TECH:ELECTRICAL. MPF board issue some machines had - solution. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1423 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Jesus ramp rejected shots fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1540 TECH:SOUND. Subwoofer suddenly stops working - fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1580 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Rug toy switch sensitivity adjustment FAQ Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider per3per3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#491 2 years ago

After following all of the TBL threads over the years, I feel like the most common theme is the frequent and various switch issues.i don't recall another game with this many switch issues...it seems very unusual. Is the machine not using the same standard switches that most other manufacturers use? Given the number of various improvements that have already been made to this machine, perhaps better switches should be on that list?

3 months later
#683 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Today (on our brand spanking new machine) we had problems with the scoop assembly.
First problem was the ball was getting stuck on the microswitch in the scoop. Adjusting the switch and bending the actuating arm didn't work. So we replaced the microswitch with a brand new one from our Bally/Williams microswitch stock. Comparing the "bad" microswitch with our replacement, the bad one required too much force to actuate it. The Bally/Williams one was just right.
Second problem was the scoop was throwing the ball out erratically...... sometimes straight down the middle. I noticed the coil assembly had alot of side-to-side slop in the plunger (on a brand new machine). So I replaced the coil sleeve. No more slop and now the ball shoots out consistently right where it should.
Yesterday, the machine reset twice in the middle of a game.

Thanks for sharing and certainly not encouraging news for folks like myself that are close (hopefully) to getting their machine. Hopefully your issues are resolved quickly!

3 months later
#879 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Okay so good news is I was in the right spot... Bad news is pinball life doesn't seem to stock the 1A or the 1.6A fuses which naturally is what I need... GGRRRRR
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"e9e38e98a16f6da81cd3a8fd5e68eb3ddd44d783-1637635225-1800"};
//]]>

Jeff
EDIT: Amazon to the rescue... LOL

I also noticed that the 1 and 1.6 amp fuses aren't stocked by Pinball Life. I called them to see if they happened to have them and perhaps they just aren't listed or out of stock and they don't. They claim they are not commonly used in Pinball and don't carry them as a result. Can you provide a link for Amazon for what you ordered?

Thanks!

I don't have my machine just yet but proactively stocking up on a few things in preparation

2 months later
#978 2 years ago

Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of the rug to make it register hits more consistently? Right now it only register very strong hits...probably less than half. Thanks!

#989 2 years ago

Anyone do anything creative to make the rug toy more consistent in terms of registering hits? Curious if anyone was able to adjust the switch to make the rug more sensitive

#997 2 years ago

A couple of items that I'd appreciate some help with:

1) About 1 or 2 out of every 10 shots from with the Jesus VUK or the upper playfield skillshot go up to the upper playfield and come down the Walter ramp instead of being fed into the upper playfield towards the upper flipper. How can this be addressed?

2) Tonight, the bowling alley started misfeeding the ball into the bowling ball launcher. Once you go becoming and select your ball to bowl for, the bowling shooter starts rotating before the ball is fed to it. The ball is being fed fairly hard and is hitting off of the bowling shooter and falling down the bowling alley. This can happen multiple times until it's fed correctly. It's either the ball is fed too fast/hard or the bowling shooter is already rotating and the feed only really works if the shooter is centered and not moving. I tried lowering the coil strength on the bowling ball return down to 22 but that doesn't seems to have any impact. Is lower the ms number make it harder or softer? What else can I try.

3) The launch button doesn't seem to light in gameplay. It lights up in test but I've only seen it light a few times in either attract mode or in gameplay. It consistently lights in test.

Thanks for your help!

#1000 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

1) can be fixed via lowering the power of the VUK. Is also mentioned in my service faq in the MPF section
2) can you check if the launcher is not to high installed? Try to push it downwards on the axis. It just slides over it. Sounds to me that because it’s to high it bounces away. Otherwise post a video
3) never look at the that launch button during gameplay. But as it lights up in test it sounds like intended. Would have to check mine.

1) seems fixed by lowering VUK strength a couple of notches...thank you!

2) the issue is that the bowling launcher sometimes starts rotating side to side before the ball is loaded into it. The ball isn't going through it due to the pin not working correctly. The ball is being loaded in while the launcher is moving. When the launcher isn't moving or it happens to be centered the ball loads fine. I don't understand why it sometimes waits for a ball to load before moving (successful load) and sometimes it starts moving and the ball doesn't load correctly. Is there a switch or something I could adjust?

3) the launch button is definitely not lighting consistently. Every so often I'll see it lot but 95% of the time it isn't lit. Any idea of what I could look at? Since it 100% works in test, it's not a loose bulb.

Thanks!

#1007 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

1) seems fixed by lowering VUK strength a couple of notches...thank you!
2) the issue is that the bowling launcher sometimes starts rotating side to side before the ball is loaded into it. The ball isn't going through it due to the pin not working correctly. The ball is being loaded in while the launcher is moving. When the launcher isn't moving or it happens to be centered the ball loads fine. I don't understand why it sometimes waits for a ball to load before moving (successful load) and sometimes it starts moving and the ball doesn't load correctly. Is there a switch or something I could adjust?
3) the launch button is definitely not lighting consistently. Every so often I'll see it lot but 95% of the time it isn't lit. Any idea of what I could look at? Since it 100% works in test, it's not a loose bulb.
Thanks!

Rensh - Can you confirm with the bowling launcher should start rotating before a ball is fed into it? I believe that it should not, and I need help diagnosing why it would be doing this so I can fix it? When the launcher stays centered and doesn't move until the ball is fed into it, the feed works perfectly. But when the launcher starts moving directly after I select the ball I want to bowl for, that's when the ball doesn't feed properly into the launcher. The feed can't happen correctly when the ball is being fed into a moving target

#1011 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

How about the sensor when the ball is at rest - does it register the ball in diagnostic mode?

Appreciate the help but don't fully understand what I'm supposed to check in this case. Do you mean the switch at the bottom on the bowling alley where the ball sits before it's fired up to load into the launcher? If yes, what exactly am I checking? I need to know what it is supposed to look like so I can compare with mine.

Thank you!

#1013 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

It’s the one indeed where the ball sits before it’s fired up.
Plenty of pictures in the service faq to compare but real test is in switch test. Try the test explained page 36 service faq. See if it triggers the ball bottom switch.

Appreciate the clarification and will take a look later today and will report back

#1014 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

It’s the one indeed where the ball sits before it’s fired up.
Plenty of pictures in the service faq to compare but real test is in switch test. Try the test explained page 36 service faq. See if it triggers the ball bottom switch.

I ran both the bowling opto and bowling stepper tests and everything seems to be working 100% in test. I've attached a pic of the switch test with 5 balls in the trough, the bowling ball at rest at the bottom of the bowling mech, and the coin door opened. Seems correct to me meaning no switches seem to be behaving incorrectly.

I also slightly bent one of the metal guide arms at the top of the bowling mech to guide the ball a bit to the right when it loads into the launcher.

I'll need to play test later. To ensure I understand the bowling mech correctly, what triggers the bowling launcher to start moving left and right? I would assume that would be what is causing my issue.

PXL_20220205_004248775 (resized).jpgPXL_20220205_004248775 (resized).jpg
#1016 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

I think a video would be best to get a better idea of what’s happening.
In the service faq also is described that the bowling alley launcher has two switches, they work in switch test? Page 34 service faq.
How this looks you can see at https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akxb0qhsDk6RgeBACI5sqiT-FhnFEg

The launcher is working 100% in terms of it's operation and the switches in all tests. What is happening in gamplay is that, once I select a ball to bowl for, the launcher starts it's rotational movement and doesn't always wait for the ball to load. I am trying to understand why it would be doing that only about 50% of the time. If the code has a delay built in to wait for the ball to load before the launcher moves then I'd say it's a code bug. If not and a switch tells the launcher to move, then what triggers that switch?

#1019 2 years ago

Figured I'd cross-post a potential solution for anyone who has a rug that requires a really hard shot to register a hit. I spent a bunch of time trying to readjust the switch to make the rug register shots more effectively and ended up finding a great solution: move the switch lower.

I've attached two pics. The first is the switch the way it was installed at the factory. The second is the adjusted position. You can see from the pics that it was screwed in at an angle from the factory. The adjustment has it a bit lowered and the screws are parallel.

I also tried removing the switch and moving the switch blade to the inside mounting nubs but that didn't work...made the rug barely register at all.

Now the rug registers hits much more easily and is playing perfectly. You don't need to nail the shot and can even hit it with a backhand! Hope that this is helpful to all the dudes out there!

PXL_20220129_223135297 (resized).jpgPXL_20220129_223135297 (resized).jpgPXL_20220208_021047747 (resized).jpgPXL_20220208_021047747 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1096 2 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I was able to access that area to tighten a plastic with a long needle nose pliers, but it was no easy feat.

I did the same thing!

2 months later
#1183 1 year ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I installed the Cliffy on the saucer, which seems to work well except for one thing: Ever since I installed it, I get stuck balls sometimes behind the saucer. I’m guessing the Cliffy can give the ball some lift on a hard shot which lodges it there. Any ideas how to close off that area to avoid the stuck balls?

I was planning on installing the scoop cliffy having just received mine. Where exactly are you experiencing stuck balls?

#1186 1 year ago

Rensh - I have a current build and just confirmed the pinball life 5/16 rubber o rings won't work as a proper bowling pin limiter. That said, I don't have access to a 3d printer and curious if DP will provide me a set of the approved limiters? If so, how do I obtain them?

1 week later
#1193 1 year ago

I just got a switch error from the test report stating "MPF Scoop (stuck closed)." When I go to the switch test, the MPF Scoop is listed which I don't think is correct. I looked at the manual but having trouble figuring out what switch this is referring to and how to access it to adjust it.

Also, and this may be unrelated, but I recently started having a fair amount of shots around the upper playfield loop not register. I have checked those switches and they are all fine, this includes me running 30 balls through it in test to see which switches are registering....that is perfect.

Thanks!

#1195 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

I think you are referring to the opto which are at the bottom of the scoop you can shoot at the MPF. And as you are also having an issue with a switch on the mpf make sure the flatcable is properly inserted. You can remove the backpanel for easy access to that flatcable. See service faq.
If you have an old built these opto’s are not powered from the mpf, think current builts are.
In any case, set in switch test and throw a ball in there and see if it triggers a mpf scoop switch

I have a newer build and was able to fix/adjust the switch in the loop which fixed the loop not registering...unrelated problem so it seems.

The MPF Scoop is not registering. I can qualify bowling or a car mode, then hit the scoop and nothing happens. I'll take a look at the service faq and check that cable

#1196 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I have a newer build and was able to fix/adjust the switch in the loop which fixed the loop not registering...unrelated problem so it seems.
The MPF Scoop is not registering. I can qualify bowling or a car mode, then hit the scoop and nothing happens. I'll take a look at the service faq and check that cable

I followed up via email to dutch support, but I did remove the back panel and checked the flat ribbon cable (it was fine) but even reseated it and the problem didn't go away.

#1198 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Saw your email but you didn’t specify your serialno.
Anyway, knowing flatcable is fine I am afraid the MPF has to come off (nothing to be scared off, current built are much easier as old builds, it’s like a 10-15 minutes job) to see if the Wires to the opto are still properly in place. Perhaps one soldering has come off or the connector has come loose. Check that.

With the back panel out, I have a pretty good look at that opto pair and it doesn't look like those wires, on either side, have come loose. If I get the MPF out and the wires seem fine, would you suspect that the opto pair went bad? Can you tell me where, on what board, do those optos plug in so I can check that connection?

#1200 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

A serialno would be nice to be of better service.
First builds had the wires going to the MMB. Newer builds have the wires going to the PCB below the MPF and their signals run over the big flatcable as far as I know. Perhaps a screw has come loose and they aren't properly aligned anymore?

I had mentioned that I have a newer build, but my serial number is DP-01-00595. I will unfortunately disassemble the MPF and check the optos and their wiring more closely. I have already checked their alignment and they look perfectly centered and in position. I was wondering if perhaps something came loose on the PCB under the playfield which I'll only be able to see once the thing is removed.

The flat cable is firmly seated on both sides and I did reseat both sides but that didn't solve the issue.

I'll take pics of these components and provide via the support email if I'm still unable to solve the issue.

#1203 1 year ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Is there a way to test the optos? Maybe a bad opto?

That's what I'm thinking and really would love to avoid taking the upper playfield out if I don't have to. Not sure how to test it. If it's a bad opto, is this a part I'd need from DP or something more easily obtainable?

#1204 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

That's what I'm thinking and really would love to avoid taking the upper playfield out if I don't have to. Not sure how to test it. If it's a bad opto, is this a part I'd need from DP or something more easily obtainable?

Following up on this after some excellent tech support via email from @rensh. It ended up being a bad opto and DP is sending me out a new pair. For what it's worth, I did remove the upper playfield and it wasn't too bad...took me about 10-15 mins as previously quoted. I do have a newer build so YMMV.

3 weeks later
#1257 1 year ago

Has anyone had to replace the ribbon cable that runs from the upper playfield to the main board underneath the main playfield. My upper playfield scoop opto switches aren't working and most of the lights in the upper playfield are out. I've tried resetting the ribbon cable and just replaced the opto pair but this hasn't fixed my issues. Curious if anyone has experienced this and if replacing the ribbon cable worked

#1260 1 year ago
Quoted from beauimpala:

I am having a similar issue. When the game is powered in it says I have 1 issue and it’s the same MPF scoop stuck closed. However upon further inspection no switches work on the mini playfield. The bowling alley roof lights don’t light up either. Currently have back panel off as I wanted to check the ribbon cable. I’ve had that fall off already once and as somebody had suggested earlier I had hot glued it in place. My hot glue was still secure and it was fully plugged in. I gave up though as I can’t figure out why I have no power up there and peeled my hot glue off to just reseat. Still got nothing. I did double check the other end of the ribbon cable too. I appreciate any thoughts or ideas to get this up and running again. Thanks!

This didn't work for me but figured I'd pass the info along to ya in case it solves your issue. Check fuses F10 and F11 which are next to where the ribbon cable plugs into the board under the main playfield. Based on info received from DP these fuses relate to power being fed to the upper playfield

#1265 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

beauimpala per3per3
Hey guys, we're all in the same boat. We all had the same exact things happen to our games, and now the MPF doesn't work. I just got my game. Did you both just get yours? You guys are describing the same exact things I posted about, which can be seen on the last page with pictures so you can compare: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/25#post-6978646
A friend of mine made a ribbon cable for me to try. We swapped it out and no dice. Same issue, same symptoms.
TBL staff has been nice suggesting issues but so far no luck. Rensh remember me? The issues these guys are having are exactly like mine, 100% accurate.
On Tuesday we'll be disassembling the MPF to look for the error. I have a pretty good crew, I hope to figure it out then and if so I'll share it here.

Have you checked those two fuses? Is anything on the MPF working?

2 weeks later
#1322 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

My machine is now down.....having the stuck switch MPF issue as we have seen from others above. Reinstalling the ribbon cable did not help. Sent support an email on this.
While I'm figuring this out....my ball return for the bowling alley comes in too hard and passes right through the stop.....even with the coil at the lowest power. Anyone have this issue? Is there an easy fix for this?

I'm awaiting a new board for my upper playfield to hopefully resolve this but remember to check the fuses (I think it's F10 or F11) to make sure it's not blown. That fuse controls the upper playfield 12v power

1 month later
#1437 1 year ago
Quoted from mac2444:

I placed a rubber "wedge" along the sidewall on the left (looking up the lane) of the Jesus lane right at the back. This kicks the ball slightly right and towards the VUK. I've had nearly no shots coming back down the lane ever since. If it didn't work, I was going to pull out the part that Rens posted above but I haven't had to so far. Good luck

Any chance you snapped a pic of that wedge installed in your machine? Would be helpful to see what you did.

If not, could you possible circle on the pic Rens provided to indicate where you installed it?

Thanks!

#1440 1 year ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I tried this based on your advice (I used some self adhesive dead drop foam) and it has been a big improvement. Thanks! Occasionally, a hard direct shot will end up in the shooter lane, but rejects are now pretty rare.

Any chance you were able to do it without removing the upper playfield? Perhaps with just removing the back panel? I had just removed and replaced the upper playfield to resolve another issue and don't really want to do it again

Thanks!

#1451 1 year ago
Quoted from CALencio:

I think I've finally had enough airballs from the Jesus/Maude rubber post split that the spot light has finally quit on me. No more jiggling has got it working. Any pointers on fixing it or replacement parts? Could it be a loose wire at the light itself?

I would recommend taking a close look at the lower playfield window to ensure that it is flush to the playfield. If it's slightly raised in the top right corner, then that could be the cause of your airballs to that post. Similar conversations have been documented about the upper left side contributing to airballs off of the right stand-up lock switch on the left ramp. I have had to adjust my window a few times but it really makes a difference. To adjust, you'll need some trial and error by either loosening or tightening the fastners underneath the playfield that secure the window and then putting the playfield down to test how flush it is

2 weeks later
#1481 1 year ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I have the same issue! It takes extra time to adjust the flipper without the bushing, but I basically got it to work fine. Would be nice to have the updated version when it’s available.

Me too!

1 month later
#1586 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Did some overdue minor maintenance on my TBL. Had a look on sensitivity of the rugswitch. Adjusted it so now also a cradled ball on the right flipper can be detected, even in the last position. See page 17 of attached PDF.
Will ofcourse also appear in my total overview[quoted image]

Appreciate you updating this. I will definitely give this a shot as I feel like my rug mech could register hits better. I'll try bending the switch blade downwards

#1597 1 year ago

For anyone interested in making their rug mech more sensitive to hits, I highly recommend doing what Rensh posted and bending the switch blade downwards a bit. I did this last night and the difference is VERY noticeable. The rug now registers pretty much every hit from either flipper and even from a cradle position off of the right flipper. It really changes the game!

I followed his instructions by unplugging the motor, manually twisting the rug spindle down to get better access to the switch, pressing down on the mech to access the switch and putting a flat head screwdriver in there to hold it open, and finally used a small mirror and a leaf adjustment tool to bend the switch blade downwards a bit.

Amazing results that greatly improves gameplay.

3 months later
#1744 1 year ago

I just fired up the machine after being on vacation for 5 days and an error message popped up on the screen. Never seen an error message like this and would appreciate some guidance on how to resolve it.

I've attached a pic

Thanks!

PXL_20230209_160007336 (resized).jpgPXL_20230209_160007336 (resized).jpg
#1746 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

See page 173 of the current service faq

Thanks!

4 weeks later
#1822 1 year ago

I am experiencing an issue with the skill shots and the diverter that controls whether the ball is fed to the upper playfield or not when you select the skill shot. If I hold the right flipper to select the upper playfield skillshot it will divert properly to the upper playfield. If it don't hold the right flipper and go for the upper lane skillshot, it will normally still divert to the upper playfield. If I hold the left flipper for the skillshot shot to the rug, it will only send the ball all the way around the orbit to the flippers about 50% of the time...the other 50% will still divert to the upper playfield.

Seems like something is wrong with the diverter since it's very inconsistent. The code correctly applies the selected skill shot, so perhaps the diverter is getting stuck or something and isn't able to properly open all of the time. If I select the upper lane skill shot and just plunge without holding one of the flipper buttons and it incorrectly diverts to the upper playfield, the upper lane skillshot is still lit on the playfield and the upper playfield one is not

1 month later
#1983 11 months ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

I have a "MPF Scoop Switch stuck closed" error- (Switch # 48)
How do I get this un-stuck? Do I need to remove the MPF to do so?
Any help is appreciated

I'd also check the associated fuses for the upper playfield before removing it. Have you noticed that any of the insert lighting up there is acting up as well? Regardless, I'd suggest inspecting those two fuses (don't remember their fuse numbers) before going through the effort of removing the upper playfield

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 210.00
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 22.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider per3per3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread?tu=per3per3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.