1_ZBrg1rPPv-hvte0RkBYgPA (resized).jpg
IMG_0685 (resized).JPG
20240217_083247 (resized).jpg
20231231_181244 (resized).jpg
20240102_152844 (resized).jpg
20231231_181256 (resized).jpg
20231231_181308 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Car door tilted alignment fix. Posted by cpr9999 (1 year ago)

Post #1336 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bowling Alley release post binding alternative fix. Posted by flynnibus (1 year ago)

Post #1393 TECH:FAQ. Link to Official Service FAQ for TBL. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1397 TECH:ELECTRICAL. MPF board issue some machines had - solution. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1423 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Jesus ramp rejected shots fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1540 TECH:SOUND. Subwoofer suddenly stops working - fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1580 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Rug toy switch sensitivity adjustment FAQ Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mac2444.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#453 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Just got my TBL this week and of course I have some questions about the code. Hopefully this is the right topic to post in. I'm on the latest 0.55 version.
1) Balls getting stuck/ball finder not releasing them: Every so often the ball won't surface out onto the parking lot when shot through the Jesus lane. The ball finder feature never pops it out. However if I power off and back on it will get popped out.
Additionally the ball will sometimes get stuck behind the lot's flipper. For the latter I can usually get it out by flipping it and nudging the machine. However if the game disables that flipper at the same time then I have to remove the glass and grab it. The finder feature doesn't flip that flipper.
2) On 0.55 (not sure if it's different on earlier versions), the callout "Let's go bowling" from mode ready repeats again when you get into the mode. It's kinda annoying. It seems there should be a different callout to mix it up a little.
Anyone know if either of these behaviors are ntentional or maybe will get fixed/improved in a later version?

For the ball in behind the upper flipper you either need to add more tilt to the machine or just take some pliers and some protection for the chrome and bend the rail on the top right behind the flipper to remove that flat area that the ball hangs up on. Doesn't take much and it'll never happen again.

#466 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

For those having issues with rejected jesus shots I did a trial.
I removed the part which guides it a little more to the VUK. In this way I increased the gap in which the ball drops and decreases the chance of a bounce. That’s my theory at least. Now my TBL doesn’t have the Jesus lane reject issue but could test if the ball doesn’t reach the VUK if you remove this part. Rarely this happened and when it did a slight nudge would bring the ball to the VUK.
This just for try out purposes. When you do make sure the screw holes are polished and flat.
Oh, and I also got the feeling the balls stay longer shiny. This as a bonus.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe try a wedge shaped piece of foam on the back wall where the Jesus shot hits. This may not only cushion the shot a little but direct it towards the larger opening on the right side of this step down to the UK?

1 week later
#511 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Regardless of everything I've pinpointed above, in the end a) the PCB needs to be replaced in full and b) someone needs to provide a solution to keep a new one from failing due to pressure or contact. I am still waiting for DP to ship the PCB I asked for multiple days ago.
I can hook everything up as in the the attached photo with the MPF laid down. It's not the connector. It's the inner workings of the PCB that for some reason are incredibly sensitive to "bending." I can hold the connector in place then just ever so slightly push on the areas I've arrowed and the switch stops registering. Do some lifting and it registers again.
[quoted image]

Have you tried reflowing the solder joints along all points for this switch circuit (connector pins, resistors etc along this path)? Even if they look good, I've had joints that were intermittent. If it's not the switch or the connector itself, it feels a lot like a solder joint or a possible crack in one of the lines traveling along the board. You can test for cracks with a jumper wire and trying your "flex test" again on the board. Good luck with the hunt!

#514 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

I reluctantly but carefully resoldered the switch connector's 3 solder points just now. I thought Id seen improvement all the way through testing as I again pieced everything back together. But nope. Back to square one as soon as everything was back in place. I even ensured this time that the wires weren't getting pinched upon remount of the MPF. I can now only get the switch to trigger by reaching under and pushing/pulling just like before. But even when I get it registering, if I lightly knock on the MPF it goes out again. The connector is not coming loose, it is something sensitive with the board.. I'm at a loss until DP finally sends a new PCB and harnesses. I can't take this thing off and on anymore.
Here's a pic of the solder joints if it helps. Nothing looks wrong to me. This is just before I applied new solder to the top problem switch connector. If you think you see a gap anywhere, I've already filled it since.[quoted image]

Well, at least you know one more thing that isn't the problem? If you do decide to pull it back apart, next step for me would be to grab a multimeter and follow the tracks along the board from the connector. Check between each pin of the connector and the next piece along its path on the board while flexing it and see if continuity is lost. If they look good, move further along the board to the next soldered in part and check there. You should be able to keep moving along the board till you find one section that is coming in and out when you are bending it and that will be your problem spot. Then it's just a resolder of the bad joint or add a little jumper wire across the bad segment if it's a crack in the trace itself.

Waiting on the new board sounds a lot easier though, some of us just have a lot of time off these days, haha!

#517 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Alright I've almost got the smoking gun I think. But how do I fix / jump this without ruining the board? Can I literally solder a wire on the bottom at points 1 and 2 to "connect" them? Please reference attached photos with numbering.
1 = The problem pin. There is continuity from the pin itself to its solder joint on the underside.
The issue: **From 1 to 2 there is NO continuity** but there should be. I've traced the whole intended path from top to bottom.
The rest of the way down to the underside solder of the connector pin has continuity. Meaning 2 to 3, 3 to 4 both have continuity.
There are only two active pins on this connector, number 1 and the one in the middle. The one in the middle's entire traceline has continuity at each point so it is not an issue.
BOTTOM:
[quoted image]
TOP:
[quoted image]

Feels great to finally find an issue like that, right?! So, test it by holding a piece of wire there first before soldering to be sure this is your fix. If it is, then yes, carefully solder the wire from #1 to #2 and you should be good to go. Fingers crossed

#518 2 years ago

...if you want to get really fancy, you can try and find the crack along that trace in the board, scratch off the green covering and then add a tiny bit of solder to fix it.....without cooking the board too much. A wire will look ghetto but it is the much easier fix.

#529 2 years ago
Quoted from lagoontrap:

Hi all
My TBL is causing me an ulcer. It's a lemon. Has never played without issues. Installed code .55 and it seemed to improve a bit for a while. Remaining problems:
- After booting, the test report says "3 issues". I push the test button in the door to see what the issues are, but the test button itself does not respond. So it's impossible to see what the issues are. After turning off the game again and rebooting, it reports 1 issue: Stuck Rug mode switch. I clear the switch, then it works again. This kind of problem is not reproducable, it just seems to happen randomly.
- After a normal ball drain, the game randomly goes into ball search mode, doesn't find the ball and stops giving balls.
- The game seems to have mechanical issues putting a ball into the shooter lane. It hardly ever works at the first try so the coil plunger keeps repeatedly trying to kick a ball up and after a while it finally manages to do so. Sometimes it stops trying and the game freezes.
- Sometimes after a ball drain it just freezes up. I checked the ball trough plugs and optos, no issues reported there.
- It doesn't play all the song clips. Never heard "the man in me" by Bob Dylan for example. Yesterday I wanted to take a video of a 4 player game, 5 balls each, to demonstrate how it only plays the same 4 song clips over and over. I couldn't finish the video because the game froze up again mid play, no more ball kicked up into the shooter lane.
What could the issue be? Compromised motherboard? I'm not a computer tech and am more familiar with vintage games.
Thanks for any help
Kaspar

Hi,

Firstly, I'd send this all to Rens via email at: [email protected]

The game does not have licensed music from the movie so there is no Dylan or any other tracks off the soundtrack. There is a hack to add these but it's pretty complicated and can mess up your hard drive if you aren't a solid programmer. There are probably also copyright issues.

Some of these may just be switch issues but I'd be tempted to reinstall the .55 code. In the menu you can roll back to .54 and see if this changes any of your issues as well, that would surely help the troubleshooting.

The coil that sends the ball into the shooter lane may not be hitting the ball in the center and hence it doesn't have the power it should. Watch it through the coin door and see if this is the case. You can try and align this better to get a clean launch.

There does sound like an issue with the ball trough switches but I'd try the software chance first to be sure.

#546 2 years ago

Now to my Jesus lane / VUK issues. I get both rejects often when its shot at any given velocity and the ball stuck when it's a lightly hit shot up the lane. Are these wires supposed to be lead through here? I think they are from the MPF PCB since I see no lead from the main PF to them/a way to move them. As you may have seen from my earlier MPF problems posts I am not taking the MPF off again until I receive a new PCB. If these wires do not belong being lead here, that would very much help to know. What's crazy if it is the wires and not some defect with the metal parts of the assembly, you'd think the ball finder plus nudging and such would drop it down to the left. But it doesn't. When it gets stuck I can even see the ball finder jumping the ball ever so slightly. Also I can tip the machine in any direction or nudge it and the ball still will not come loose. It has to be manually removed by way of my magnet tool.

Regardless, I'm willing to bet it's not the wiring as much as it's really sitting there with no way to budge because of the metal guide that Rensh recommends removing. This is from his earlier post about that. I'm guessing that the red circle I added is where the ball has settled when stuck:
[quoted image]
BALL STUCK:

I think you are right that it is sitting on that removable plate at the end of the Jesus ramp. Looks like there is just enough gap to hold the ball if it's at the right speed. If you bend the plate a little bit this will be resolved. I'd even give it a little slope back towards the VUK to help make the shots count instead of coming back down

#550 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Rensh I'm sorry but I have to disagree. From all I've troubleshot, the wires + the metal part can create this ball stuck issue and likely the rejects issue as well. It's not one or the other. There is no extra length in the wires to put them in any other position, so they will *always* obstruct the ball path. Mine are already as close to the bottom of the MPF as possible. Removal of the metal piece just reduces the chance that the ball will get stuck when the wires are in play because doing so gives more room for the ball to drop. IMO, this is clearly a design problem. The MPF PCB wires both shown in my pics and yours lead in front of that metal square piece on the MPF (which is the stepper motor I assume?). This leaves them not only as a potential catch for the ball in the Jesus lane but also they get smashed against the main PF metal parts, causing crimping, indents in the rubber of them, and stress on the MPF PCB connectors (which I now believe is a likely cause of the break in the PCB trace I had initially, right where the pins connect to it). No matter what, they also get hit by the ball anytime you make the Jesus lane. Why are the wires not longer and lead behind all of these parts, perhaps through some wooden recess in the rear of the MPF in order to prevent all of the resulting issues their current placement causes?

Tim, I can't see it being the wires. I haven't heard of anyone else having an issue with them at all. I think it's pretty unlikely that you have the only machine where these wires are a problem even with you having taking the mpf on and off so many times. If you really think there is an issue there just hold them tight to the board with some non-conductive tape and se if anything changes.

#575 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Thank you for your continued help, TomDK , Rensh and cpr9999 .

I have now requested a technician specially because I can't even lift the playfield anymore (EDIT- Not reliably but was able to finally get it to lock today). I've asked my dealer to schedule an appointment with someone soon after I receive the parts from DP. I believe the visit will be covered. A new machine doesn't appear to be a viable option. I'm told I would have to wait at the back of the pre-order line if I went that route and it took me almost 1.5 years since pre-ordering to receive the one I have. So I'm very apprehensive to do so.

I've consulted the FAQ but like I mentioned in test I see the coil pin moving up and down freely with or without the ball and always dropping to the same position. It is not rubbing or getting caught on the playfield whatsoever. I will also say that the coil pin has quite an amount of "give" though. It doesn't always go up in a perfectly straight direction but also I *never* see it get stuck or rubbing the PF. Also bending the bracket doesn't help.
EDIT: I was able to get the playfield up thankfully and took a closer look in test. I can get the issue to occur in test now. After close inspection to pictures in the FAQ vs my alley, it appears that the real cause is the level at which the bowling arm is mounted. It's mounted too low or has somehow "sunken" since I got the game. I can clearly tell that the plastic of the arm is below the threshold of the alley's circular cutout. Therefore, regardless if the coil pin is all the way down, the ball will rest within that circular cutout. I must have been getting lucky while it was working before, maybe the pin was going down just ever so low enough to encourage/lift the ball out of the hole. Maybe now it goes too far down. The stepper motor/arm bracket is tight and not sinking at all BTW.
How do I adjust the height of the arm plastic? I see mention of using a 2.5mm alan wrench to adjust the arm's inner screw but no matter what size I tried I could not get in there to loosen it. I also don't know if that screw will even allow the plastic to be lifted up/down at all or if it only allows L/R adjustment.
Here's a new video from a different angle:

Thank you for confirming the wiring is correct. As I mentioned in my post, I already tried manually making the flipper fail in this manner. It does not. ONLY when the ball is ejected from the scoop. If I hold the R flipper as the ball ejects, the hold is lost. During the loss of hold power I can manually move the flipper up and down with ease as I hold the flipper button. Release and press the button again and the flipper is back to life without any hold issue. Also only the right flipper has the issue. I can eject the ball from the scoop, hold the left flipper and try to push it down and it holds just fine. Also as I mentioned I have completely swapped the L&R coils, aka the L coil is now on the R flipper and the issue persists. So if it is something about the assembly, what else could it be besides the coil? I've already ruled out the coils themselves by swapping it out with the L one (specifically -- putting the L flipper's coil and coil stop on the R flipper and vice versa). I'm doubtful a new assembly is going to resolve the issue but I will try that when it arrives.
One other interesting thing I noticed is it seems like the strength setting for the scoop eject has no effect. I can put it all the way to the lowest or highest setting and to me the ball ejects at the same velocity. I'm mentioning this because back to my suspicion about voltage going to the scoop vs. the flipper when the issue occurs. I am apprehensive to use my multimeter with the machine on, especially with 48V enabled otherwise I may be able to get some readings. This will have to be done by the technician.
Rensh Can you please work with your technician to see about a possible voltage drop in this scoop eject vs. right flipper hold scenario? I wonder if this could be another PCB issue.
Here's an in depth, general all things flipper troubleshooting guide I found. Any of these issues ring a bell? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-flipper-hold-issue#post-2150726
Thanks again for all your guys' help. I'm trying to remain as positive as possible it's just getting more difficult day to day.

Tim, one last piece of troubleshooting that may help: Have you tried loading it up with the older software. (you can do this from the test menu) I'd be curious is this fixes the flipper issue. It shouldn't, but because this is so closely tied to the scoop use, It may be worth seeing if there was a possible software glitch on the .55 update. It's a long shot but easy enough to try.

As for the bowling issue, maybe bolts holding the assembly up have just loosened and is the cause of the drop in level. This would be a super easy fix so fingers crossed.

#590 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Thank you but ugh. It IS dropping deep enough. I already mentioned that and that the post itself when dropped to it's lowest position is not a factor. Also I mentioned that the overall pitch makes no difference. They key in my post is that, given the mold of the plastic arm, the ball HAS to be somewhat lifted once the button is pressed in order to get it into the position where it can drop from the rest of the arm. I thought my last reply and multiple videos made that clear. At this point I need someone to take a video of their working machine, during gameplay and test just as I did in those videos I posted. I don't see any other way to figure this out since DP support seems to have no clue either.
Again I'll copy and paste the details that I've tried and noted, just like I did with the flipper issue which is still an issue. I feel like people who are responding aren't actually reading carefully into each step I'm meticulously noting:
I have:
- Gone higher, lower, somewhere in between with the arm.
- Gone slightly forward, slightly backward with its bracket.
- Bent the release post coil bracket forward, backwards, somewhere in between.
- Watched the release post coil in test over and over again. I will say that it does have some forward/backward give in its arm itself (that should be normal right?) but again it always drops and raises to the same heights and never gets stuck on the PF.
- Tried every L/R position of the arm and its inconsistent. I can have it centered in test, ball slowly gets encouraged to drop, try again and it sticks. I will say that it most consistently fails when the arm is in a far L or R position though.
- Increased pitch, decreased pitch of the machine at every step.
- Tried all 6 balls in case it's a ball size issue.
- Wiped off the balls and the plastic arm to make sure there's no gunk or residue.
- Tested to make sure none of the balls are magnetized (perhaps getting stuck to the release post).

Tim, from the video it seems the ball is hanging up the forward point of the release post. Seeing as this is the only moving part effecting the release, I'd focus on this. Looks like the ball is catching on that front point and sitting there till the release coil kicks back up and knocks the ball the rest of the way down the ramp. From what I'm seeing the relationship of the rotating arm to the post needs to be higher and/or the point on the front of the post needs to be lower/rounded off a bit. You say that lowering the post further does not fix the issue but is that because the ball now gets stuck on the edge of the playfield with the pin being that low? I think you want that rotating arm up a hair, the pin down as low as you can get it, and if possible, change the angle of the pin so it is lower on the ball side and higher on the playfield side (if that makes sense to you) so the ball will roll off the pin without catching on the playfield. Sorry, not the easiest thing to explain. I'd keep testing with the pf up and run balls through by hand while you change the pin angle/height. Lastly, the closer the pin can be to the rotating arm, the better. It's the gap in between the two that seems to be catching the ball.

#593 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Thank you but ugh. It IS dropping deep enough. I already mentioned that and that the post itself when dropped to it's lowest position is not a factor. Also I mentioned that the overall pitch makes no difference. They key in my post is that, given the mold of the plastic arm, the ball HAS to be somewhat lifted once the button is pressed in order to get it into the position where it can drop from the rest of the arm. I thought my last reply and multiple videos made that clear. At this point I need someone to take a video of their working machine, during gameplay and test just as I did in those videos I posted. I don't see any other way to figure this out since DP support seems to have no clue either.
Again I'll copy and paste the details that I've tried and noted, just like I did with the flipper issue which is still an issue. I feel like people who are responding aren't actually reading carefully into each step I'm meticulously noting:
I have:
- Gone higher, lower, somewhere in between with the arm.
- Gone slightly forward, slightly backward with its bracket.
- Bent the release post coil bracket forward, backwards, somewhere in between.
- Watched the release post coil in test over and over again. I will say that it does have some forward/backward give in its arm itself (that should be normal right?) but again it always drops and raises to the same heights and never gets stuck on the PF.
- Tried every L/R position of the arm and its inconsistent. I can have it centered in test, ball slowly gets encouraged to drop, try again and it sticks. I will say that it most consistently fails when the arm is in a far L or R position though.
- Increased pitch, decreased pitch of the machine at every step.
- Tried all 6 balls in case it's a ball size issue.
- Wiped off the balls and the plastic arm to make sure there's no gunk or residue.
- Tested to make sure none of the balls are magnetized (perhaps getting stuck to the release post).

The more I think about this the more I think the issue is the gap between the rotating arm and the release pin. The pin seems to be going down enough, if you can get it closer to the arm, there will be nowhere for the ball to hang up and it should roll nicely down the slope on the top of the pin to the playfield. The post needs to move closer to the rotating arm.

#595 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Glad you are getting a tech to come.

I thought this too but in Rens picture above seems far away / but worth a check.

I'm just judging by the videos above in Tim's post. There is no photo of the mech with no ball and the arm turned to near its travel limit to see the clearance but on the straight on views shown, looks like this gap could be closed up a fair bit.

#599 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Yes it appears that way and may be the case in certain parts of those videos but most of the time it's either stuck in the gap or literally nothing is holding it but the "up-angle" of the arm plastic.

Yes I believe so. If the pin/post is not supposed to go past the threshold of the PF hole, it most definitely is 100% of the time. And in that case, yes ball is stuck on the edge.

Yes this makes sense. In order to get the pin/post in the position describe, the coil bracket must be bent as far back (toward the back of the game) as possible. This I have tried to no avail. I've also tried as far as possible the other direction and somewhere in between without success.

See this photo (before I was able to get to the arm screw to change the height) where I had the arm bracket moved toward the back of the PF as much as possible and the coil bracket bent as far back as possible to decrease the gap. This was almost to the point where the arm circle was rubbing against the PF hole cutout. Issue persisted. (Disregard the "greasiness" on the plastic, that's from my fingers (or my tears LOL) and I have wiped down the plastic many times with a dry paper towel).
[quoted image]
Now here's a photo where I had the arm lifted up as high as possible giving plenty of clearance from the PF hole. It was so high that it wasn't triggering the switches so not a viable height anyway. In this scenario is when I noticed the ball literally getting stuck in the "up-slope" of the arm itself. It just doesn't have enough forward momentum when the pin/post drops to roll forward and clear that tiny slope in the arm plastic.
I think the arm needs to somehow be angled forward enough to a) not make that up-slope an issue but also b) not so angled that it creates a "wedged" area for the ball to get stuck on the PF hole. No clue how to accomplish that.
[quoted image]

I like the look of the gap in that top photo, this should negate any issue with it hanging up in the gap. Try placing balls in the arm with this setup and pulling the release coil slowly down by hand and see if the ball is still sitting in the arm with that post as far down as you can get it. If it's still sitting there with the post totally out of the way then you are right, it must be the angle of the arm. This seems super odd though as you say the machine had been working fine previously and the arm shape has obviously not changed.

If you get to this point and are sure the arm is at fault, I'd talk to DP about a replacement but in the meantime, how about a couple thin washers or shims, under the pf between the pf and the arm assembly on the side closest to the release pin. This should slope the entire mech a little, hopefully enough to keep the ball rolling out of the arm with a little more force.

#602 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

WINNER WINNER mac2444 deserves all the chicken dinners!!! Except the solution was the opposite (or more likely that I read his advice/direction wrong). I put one washer on each L & R arm/stepper motor bracket screw on the other side (away from the coil/release pin) and all of a sudden noticed more success with the ball dropping in test. This has tilted the arm enough forward to overcome the terrible design of it having to go up the upslope and over to get past the arm itself. However, if the arm was at it's furthest L or R position, the ball would still get stuck in the arm even with that single set of washers. So I then added a second washer on each side. Currently the ball is consistently dropping now, but still kind of struggles at the far L or R points (video below).
What I will say is that there's still an alignment problem. If you look closely in this video you'll see that the arm is "tilted" in that all the way Right, the gap b/t the arm plastic and PF hole closes up, then all the way to the Left it's more open. Also the arm sinks one position or the other. Regardless it is working now. Pics and videos showing the overall current positions and the washers I added to ultimately get things working:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
In TEST:
In Gameplay:

Good eye cpr9999 . Yes I just recently noticed as well. The "hole" in the orange arm is chipped. That may have been part of the issue all along. After I get advice from the technician I have coming this weekend to assess, I will likely be requesting an entirely new assembly in this area for the sake of everything holding up in the long run. I am still beyond clueless how this started out of nowhere.

Glad it's working for you! It's quite possible that you jut got a defective casting from the part supplier. Maybe a new arm will roll free and you can set it back up the way it came. I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue so I think you've just had some really bad luck with this. Hopefully now you can get some games in and enjoy it while you wait for the tech visit

2 months later
#676 2 years ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

I got my Lebowski from Cointaker on Friday. My left flipper also sticks. It will get stuck in the up position from time to time, but when it doesn’t get stuck, it still returns back to neutral position slower than the right flipper. It feels like there is binding on the mechanism that isn’t there on the right flipper mech when I go under the playfield and manually actuate it. I’m not sure if it’s the same problem mark1971 is having since it’s the same batch of games. 2 minor issues I’m having that I’m wondering if anyone else has seen. Game is level, but every 20 ball launches or so it will get stuck to the left and need a nudge to launch it. The cream target gets caught up on the white post and registers as a stuck switch. I don’t see any way to adjust the target slightly over to the right.
Overall I’m very happy with the game and I think there are always going to be little hick ups shipping something this complicated across half the globe.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hi,

Just a couple ideas that might be worth a try:

1) Are you saying the flipper feels like there is friction when being moved by hand? If so, there is a good chance the flipper is rubbing as it's too low to the playfield. Loosen that bolt that clamps flipper shaft to the coil arm and slightly raise the flipper and re-tighten.

2) Can you send a photo of the underside of the targets, I can't remember if they attach individually on this machine and mine isn't handy. My target is also super close to the post but never gets caught on it. The thicker metal bracket part of the switch need to be either bent a little or attached a tiny bit over so this doesn't happen anymore. May be possible to just bend the entire switch assembly a little without unscrewing it from the machine.

3) Check the level right on the actual playfield to be sure it's not slightly sitting on an angle on the hinges. If it is level and you have enough tilt front to back on the machine than that little orange post next to the ball is the issue. A thin rubber ring will slip over the post and should fix the problem. With enough tilt on the machine, it may also just roll to position off this post as is.

Hope one of these helps!

#678 2 years ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

I rebuilt the left flipper mech and it seems to have fixed the problem. I’ll have to put some more games on it to be really sure. It seems like they are WBC fliptronic which I think is a great system.
Looks like the targets are riveted, I’ll mess with that another day.
I’m just going to start with a rubber ring on the post and see if that solves it.
I’m going on a business trip and won’t see the game again until next weekend.

The target assembly is screwed underneath the playfield. If you can't bend it to solve the problem, that's where you may have to move the mounting point.

3 months later
#814 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Can someone confirm that the RGB Only Test under LED tests has red and green reversed? Selecting red lights up the various arrows as green and selecting green lights them up as red. Blue is correct. This is on the latest .57 code.[quoted image]

Mine tests correctly on all colours. Koen's advice above must pertain to your setup.

3 months later
#1009 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Rensh - Can you confirm with the bowling launcher should start rotating before a ball is fed into it? I believe that it should not, and I need help diagnosing why it would be doing this so I can fix it? When the launcher stays centered and doesn't move until the ball is fed into it, the feed works perfectly. But when the launcher starts moving directly after I select the ball I want to bowl for, that's when the ball doesn't feed properly into the launcher. The feed can't happen correctly when the ball is being fed into a moving target

The launcher should not be moving before the ball has reached it. I think CPR999 is right, the switch below the alley is giving the incorrect information. If you can run the test mode and check the switches, I think you should find the issue. Hopefully it's just an opto alignment issue or something super simple like that!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 month later
#1111 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Anyone have a solution to this problem? Besides trying to heat the ramp up and reshape it? The ramp is literally too tight for the ball to go through. Seems like the contact area is too far up the ramp to just dremmel out the last bit...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Are the metal rails on the sides squeezed in on the plastic of has it done this on its own?

#1115 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

for mine it’s appears to be just the width of the mold. A fast ball will squeeze through, a slow ball will get stuck every time.

Sounds like a bad batch of ramps. As you said, some careful heat may be your only option till they can get you a replacement. I'm sure Rens will get back to you asap, he rocks.

1 month later
#1148 1 year ago

I used 5/16 clear vinyl tubing cut to about 7 or 8mm as others had mentioned. It fits snugly on the pin and seems to work nicely. I did not remove any screws to remove the assembly, just pushed the metal rods/bars through one side of the retainer and that was enough to remove all the pins and add the limiters. It made the job very quick, the only slightly tough part was the row with three pins as it was easy to have the first pin drop out of the coil while you tried to align the other two into their coils. Took a couple tries but that was the only hiccup. Probably a 15min job total, well worth the peace of mind Good luck!

1 month later
#1245 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePlumber:

Hello and Good Day Everyone
I received my NIB TBL roughly two weeks ago and here are the issues I am encountering.
1) Subwoofer works for short period and then shuts down, both of the upper speakers work just fine all the time.
2) When hitting the rug with the right flipper, it never actuates the rug, only the left flipper (Angle of the dangle?)
3) I have one error code of "(Light) Lock Target (stuck closed)"
Thanks for your insight on this one, look forward to hearing back

I agree with the above for #1 and #3, but I can hit the rug with either flipper as long as it's a direct hit. You may need to up the sensitivity on the rug switch. I think Rens has a write up of the rug mech in the manual.

1 week later
#1288 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

To be more accurate, the middle prong of each three prong switch connector showed continuity with one of the lugs on every single light on the board.

Should be easy enough to scape an opening in that messed up trace with an x-acto knife or similar and then give it another test. Worth a shot if you are stuck waiting for a replacement.

2 weeks later
#1361 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

Just got the following error... "Coin Door (21 games unused)". Any ideas?

Anytime you don't use a switch for 21+ games, you get a warning "heads up" from the machine that the switch may be broken. If you activate this switch, the warning will reset.

4 weeks later
#1424 1 year ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Thanks for the explanation and detailed instructions of your fix. It does sound like that’s my issue. Unfortunately, getting the bushing in there sounds pretty time-consuming. If my ghetto fix fails at some point, I will go that route next.
Now if anyone has ideas of how to stop my Jesus ramp from rejecting balls on hard shots I’d be grateful. I tried adding dead drop foam and bending the bracket slightly, but those things didn’t help (foam made it worse).

I placed a rubber "wedge" along the sidewall on the left (looking up the lane) of the Jesus lane right at the back. This kicks the ball slightly right and towards the VUK. I've had nearly no shots coming back down the lane ever since. If it didn't work, I was going to pull out the part that Rens posted above but I haven't had to so far. Good luck

#1435 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Both of my rails came dented from the backbox. Is there an easier way to remove the rails than to stand over them for 2 hours with a hair drier? I didn’t realize that they were glued in… but after nearly 30 minutes with a hair drier I realize that they are REALLY glued in.

Usually a rounded, plastic putty knife works though I haven't had to do it on TBL. Just work up carefully a small section at a time. The heat can soften the glue but I still find you need a putty knife to separate them. You often don't even need heat if you're careful just go easy on the decals where you'll be able to see them. Good luck!

#1438 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Any chance you snapped a pic of that wedge installed in your machine? Would be helpful to see what you did.
If not, could you possible circle on the pic Rens provided to indicate where you installed it?
Thanks!

Don't have a photo, sorry. It's just about a 1.5" piece of adhesive rubber I trimmed into a wedge. Stuck it on the back left side of the metal wall so any shots riding near the wall get pushed towards the hole that's over on the right. It's worked really well ever since.

1 month later
#1555 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Rensh Is DP offering better quality bowling alley pins which are protected against breakage? 3 of 10 of mine broke apart today (yet again). As you well know it's difficult to replace them since doing so requires dismantling the entire bowling alley assembly. So I'm asking you first before I go trying to epoxy them back together, reassembling, and hoping for the best. I'm not trying to do the aforementioned "workaround" about protecting the arms from breaking the pins. Please advise, thanks.

I cut some rings out of clear vinyl tubing as I didn’t want to wait for the plastic rings. They have been rock solid and super quiet since. It took about 30 min maximum and cost about 50 cents in tubing. Good luck with the fix!

#1561 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

I just received what I thought was the right size vinyl tubing but I can barely get it onto the posts. The service FAQ says 5/6" inner diameter. So I bought this vinyl tubing. 5/16 Inner - 7/16 Outer, Clear: amazon.com link »
Is this the right inner and outer diameter tubing? Any links to the correct product would help as this just seems wrong.
Rensh Also before putting all of the rails and such back together, how can one test each rail, physically to ensure that this workaround is actually going to prevent breakage in the future? The FAQ doesn't cover how to do so until after you've reassembled the entire thing and go into the software test mode. I'd like to know the expected behavior of each pin's backward motion before I reassemble everything.

Once you cut the tubing into rings (8mm, I think) I found they stretched onto the post without much effort. If it won't then I guess you'll need the next size up. My tubing was 5/16 as well.

#1562 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

I just received what I thought was the right size vinyl tubing but I can barely get it onto the posts. The service FAQ says 5/6" inner diameter. So I bought this vinyl tubing. 5/16 Inner - 7/16 Outer, Clear: amazon.com link »
Is this the right inner and outer diameter tubing? Any links to the correct product would help as this just seems wrong.
Rensh Also before putting all of the rails and such back together, how can one test each rail, physically to ensure that this workaround is actually going to prevent breakage in the future? The FAQ doesn't cover how to do so until after you've reassembled the entire thing and go into the software test mode. I'd like to know the expected behavior of each pin's backward motion before I reassemble everything.

With the spacers, the pins should no longer hit the bar behind them at full deflection. You can test this by hand just by pushing them up. The last row of pins has nothing to hit but I put the spacers on it anyway. I did them one row at a time by sliding the rod out to the side but not totally out, fit the rings to the pins and then hold them into the could while you slide the pivot rod back in. A little bit fiddly but doable with one person for sure. Hope this helps!

4 months later
#1794 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

Actually - mine are usually airballs from the playfield. I haven't had anything skip out of the wireform. Thinking something like this might work by simply preventing a landing spot.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/01619-the-big-lebowski-got-balls-mod-not-for-use-on-shomer-shabos

I have three on there and haven't had an issue since. It's still possible but the ball would have to land dead center between the three.

They have coloured bowling balls on Amazon and eBay for about $2 each. They don't have a logo and come on a keychain but are basically identical.

https://www.amazon.com/Bowling-Pendant-Keychain-Mental-Hangbag/dp/B07GK145TS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6

#1800 1 year ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

How did you stick yours on? I’ve tried hot glue and had them come off about 10-20 times so I gave up. Doing something super permanent worried me that if the balls did get damaged or come off that it would ruin the chrome plastic bowling ball rest thing

I haven't had the same issues with hot glue on these. I've only ever have one get knocked off. Tried it on a couple other add ons though and it wasn't strong enough. For sure not good enough for a location game.

#1811 1 year ago
Quoted from Auror:

Thanks PinMonk! I tried weather stripping and sound dampening foam this morning and unfortunately I’m still have the same issue. I’m trying it on the playfield side now but struggling to get the foam low enough so the ball doesn’t hit it rolling over it but high enough so that on the bounce back the ball hits the foam and not the top edge of the playfield as the ball is really bouncing back very high on the edge of the playfield after heading the back metal wall.
Do you think it makes sense to add some mylar over the area that is pealing on the bowling Alley playfield?
[quoted image]

I think Pascal might be right, looks like a cliffy is the only thing that's going to hold up to that much impact. You could try bending the back metal plates a bit so they toss the ball down through the hole a bit more, may save impact on the playfield for any shots down the middle.

1 week later
#1862 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

My bowling ball arm aka referred to as the bowling ball launcher has run into another new issue. When the arm rotates to the left it jitters over and over again before it then turns back to the right side. Turning right all the way has no issue. This jittering only happens when the arm hits its far left. I can see that the cause might be that it's hitting the top of the "release pin" when it turns left. I did try bending the release pin assembly back a bit but that hasn't helped at all. This issue started happening out of nowhere, aka I've made no adjustments that could have introduced the issue.
I don't see any solution or description of this issue in the DP FAQ. Can anyone help me understand what is causing this?

Hey Tim,

Not sure but think there is a limit switch on each side for full travel. Maybe the left one isn't registering and so the motor keeps trying to force it left? I think there is a bowling alley test, maybe run that and see if the switches show that they are working in the test? Good luck

#1872 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Same issue occurs in any test. I see both switches register as expected aka I think switches are working just fine. If the switch wasn't working, I'd assume the arm would never return right. Again I've determined that it only jitters when the arm contacts the launch pin.

Weird. Any chance you can change the limit on that switch so it doesn't move far enough to cause it to hit the pin? You sure have had the most unique issues of any machine I've read about on here!

#1877 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly do you mean by "change the limit on that switch"?

I think they are just standard mechanical switches. You can just bend the metal bit of the switch so it's showing a closed switch slightly sooner. I would try for the smallest bend you can get away with so it doesn't throw the bowling calibration out of whack. I think if you remove the orange ball launcher part. you be able to access the switches without having to pull apart the whole assembly. I haven't had to do this on mine though so just an assumption from what I can see.

1 month later
#1970 1 year ago
Quoted from Flaverflav:

Hi Guys,
Has anyone had any issues with the plastic on their pinball machine? Here is the state of mine after only a few games. I left the factory settings and my inclination is good. This is the first time I have seen such rapid wear. It's a shame because I love this machine and the whole is very qualitative.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I added these as soon as I saw a little chip on the sling plastics. Haven't had any issues since.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0054-00

2 months later
#2086 9 months ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

One bug and one question
- found a bug last night that I’m shocked I haven’t found before. In Bowling Game Mode (not normal game mode where you go bowling), if you choose a profile while ball 1 in frame 1 is loaded, it will auto fire the ball down the bowling alley when you select your profile. The button is acting like your profile selection AND fire for your first shot.
- question about the bowling alley ball loading process. For the first time, last night my machine was multi firing the solenoid to load the ball up into the orange bowling ball shooter. It would always eventually get there but sometimes it would take 2-5 fires of the solenoid to get there. Does that make sense that it isn’t broken (ie not the case that the ball won’t load altogether) but is now struggling to load?

It's likely that your ball launch coil isn't aligned properly with the ball so it's striking it just off center and hence the ball doesn't always have enough power to reach the top. You can just loosen the screws holding the coil and center it again. It's in the manual on page 52. Good luck

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 210.00
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mac2444.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread?tu=mac2444 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.