1_ZBrg1rPPv-hvte0RkBYgPA (resized).jpg
IMG_0685 (resized).JPG
20240217_083247 (resized).jpg
20231231_181244 (resized).jpg
20240102_152844 (resized).jpg
20231231_181256 (resized).jpg
20231231_181308 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Car door tilted alignment fix. Posted by cpr9999 (1 year ago)

Post #1336 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bowling Alley release post binding alternative fix. Posted by flynnibus (1 year ago)

Post #1393 TECH:FAQ. Link to Official Service FAQ for TBL. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1397 TECH:ELECTRICAL. MPF board issue some machines had - solution. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1423 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Jesus ramp rejected shots fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1540 TECH:SOUND. Subwoofer suddenly stops working - fix. Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Post #1580 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Rug toy switch sensitivity adjustment FAQ Posted by Rensh (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dkjimbo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 5 years ago

What is the price as-is for the mold/rust bucket?

1 year later
#238 3 years ago

Someone else had this issue and it was a magnetized coil stop.

2 weeks later
#240 3 years ago
Quoted from DG_Amuse:

Has anyone experienced an issue where your machine doesn’t recognize when a ball has drained? My machine is doing this fairly consistently and I’m not sure what the cause is. Switches all seem to be working. I can manually kick balls out of the trough all day long and the machine just keeps playing that same ball... never ends that ball. After doing a reboot the machine will play fine for a while (sometimes 10 games, sometimes 100). I’ve tried a few different code versions thinking it might be a bug, but no luck. If you have experienced this same issue have you made any progress in finding a solution?
Thanks for your time,
John

I received my game yesterday. Thrilled with it so far!! I have the game leveled perfectly but I am having the issue described above. Its not related in any way to switches, its simply because the trough isn't angled enough for the balls to slide down into position when they drain. Sometimes its one ball, sometimes its two balls. They drain and just sort of sit there and don't roll down. Anyone experience this? I am going to lift the playfield later today/tonight and look at adding some washers or something between some of the screws and the playfield to create a slightly steeper angle and see if that helps.

#241 3 years ago

One other thing to throw out there. The audio coming out of the right speaker is intermittently scratchy / static. Anyone experience any audio issues like this before?

#243 3 years ago

I was getting frequent ball hang-ups behind the upper flipper. Some minor bending of the ramp extension wire form has resolved that permanently. Still getting rejects on well shot Donny orbit shots. That right gate just can’t open fast enough and the ball bounces back into the pop bumper area.

#245 3 years ago

Lets talk about the right gate assembly and its function. It has been recorded by a few owners that this gate can get hung up. Pretty much right out of the box last week the gate exhibited issues of not being able to open fast enough on well placed shots up the Donny orbit shot. I took apart the assembly twice now to see if I could figure it out.

As others have mentioned, there can be a clearance issue of the spring's position within the hole causing it to drag on the edge of the hole. This was also the case in mine. At first I bent the arm on the gate assembly itself to alter the position of the spring within the hole. That seemed to help but I could still feel drag on the spring. It was not suspended cleanly in the hole.

To finally solve the issue I ended up doing 2 things.

1. Shorten the spring by about 1/8" and create a new loop on the cut end so the spring didn't have so much play.
2. By using the screw closest to the subway under the playfield as the pivot-point, I rotated the assembly about 1/4" clockwise and tapped a new screw hole for the 2nd of the two mounting points. This allows for the gate assembly to float at the dead-center of the hole in the playfield.

In doing so the drag issue has been 100% resolved however sometimes during games the gate doesn't open but I think I have finally understood the intent of that gate and the logic behind it.

If the intent was for the Donny shot to always orbit then that gate wouldn't even be necessary so why is it there? Perhaps this is common knowledge of the ruleset but I thought I would write it down for anyone who might be struggling with this same issue.

The gate only lifts - thereby allowing the ball to orbit - while you are qualifying (lighting the DONNY lights) Donny Character. Once you have qualified Donny and prior to starting Character multiball, and still hit the Donny shot, the gate does not open and drops the ball into the pop bumpers. Also, the gate will open during other modes where you have to hit the orbits but otherwise, the game wont let you orbit from the left side.

#247 3 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I received my game yesterday. Thrilled with it so far!! I have the game leveled perfectly but I am having the issue described above. Its not related in any way to switches, its simply because the trough isn't angled enough for the balls to slide down into position when they drain. Sometimes its one ball, sometimes its two balls. They drain and just sort of sit there and don't roll down. Anyone experience this? I am going to lift the playfield later today/tonight and look at adding some washers or something between some of the screws and the playfield to create a slightly steeper angle and see if that helps.

This worked by the way. I added a washer between the playfield and ball trough on the two mounting points/screws closest to the shooter lane. Problem went away instantly.

#251 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Interesting. I had the same issue but did a switch test and all switches were active In your theory a switch wouldn’t be pressed down. Did you do a switchtest too when you had the issue?

I never had a switch issue. It was a gravity and physics issue. By altering the angle slightly with the washer the issue went away.

#253 3 years ago
Quoted from Yokimato:

I haven’t seen this issue yet, but perhaps I missed it, if so, apologies:
If a ball is hit “lightly” into the car / let’s go bowling subway on the upper playfield, the ball sometimes gets stuck in the subway inlet. Nudges can’t unlodge it, I have to drop the glass and can push it through with my finger. It doesn’t take much pressure, but it certainly gets stuck.
I’ve confirmed the machine is level.
Any thoughts welcome...happy to snag a picture too if I’m not painting the mental image well.

What pitch do you have the game at?

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

copying here as its come up lately in a PM and then again in the club thread. you can get to the point of a system error popup from linux. i got this in dec 2016 and worked it out. i reported it to Barry at the time with:
----
In case this comes up for anyone else. I started getting a system program error pop up window every boot and it would pop up over the top of the TBL software.
I just fixed it, using advice here:
https://itsfoss.com/how-to-fix-system-program-problem-detected-ubuntu/
It was a piece of gnome that had crashed. So , not sure how much you want to touch the OS in software updates but maybe disable the notifier as it suggests / or clear out the /var/crash regularly?
For me, I just deleted the file, will see if it comes back (hasnt yet)
----
and i can say here in 2019 it hasn't happened again either.. i never did the extra step of disabling the service. maybe lucky in that aspect.
and given im surprised a URL from 3 years ago wasn't dead already.. the gist was to clean out the crash log directory; open a terminal and run
sudo rm /var/crash/*

Two weeks into ownership and this popped up for me. Thankful for those who have ventured this path before me. I used this technique and it got rid of the issue. Will report back if it ever comes back.

1 week later
#267 3 years ago

I am still struggling with that right gate at the top. It just doesn't open fast enough for the majority of shots to make the orbit from the right flipper up the left side. my spring is tight, the mech is not dragging on the playfield hole, the coil and all parts are tightly fastened, etc.

I don't know how else it would be improved unless the roll over switch in the Donny lane was moved further down so the ball had to travel further up and around to give that gate more time to open.

Not sure if this is something that can be addressed in code? Is there a value for time delay between switch hit on that roll over switch and the gate opening? It needs to be instantaneous.

3 months later
#281 3 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

Added a 1” rubber square part 23-6629 to the back of the Jesus ramp. Helped some but a very hard hit to it can still cause bouncebacks. I also routed the wires that pass through the ramp to the back of the upper playfield, there is enough slack but they will be pinched slightly by the back of the upper playfield
[quoted image]

Can you explain the logic for the location of this rubber pad? It seems to be mounted above where the ball makes contact and bounces back down the ramp so I can’t figure out how this would help, wouldnt you want it lower in line where the ball makes contact?

I’d like to do something on my game to reduce jesus ramp rejects but only want to take that upper playfield off Once if I ever attempt it!

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from Azlad:

I've just started to get this issue also. Have not looked in to it yet but turning the volume down does not seem to resolve it (my initial thoughts were the speaker just couldn't handle higher volumes (but then why would it only be the right speaker and not both that had the issue?)).
Dkjimbo - have you made any progress on it?

I think it’s just vibration in the speaker panel / head. I tightened every screw I could find and messed with positioning a bit. Been fine for awhile now. I don’t keep my volume too high maybe 11-12?

3 weeks later
#315 3 years ago

My car was getting really loose so I took apart enough of the top of the upper playfield to spin the car backwards. Only one screw can be reached without taking off the entire upper playfield (or messing with that motor shaft connector everyone has suggested avoiding) I tightened the visible screw, the car is right now, time will tell if this holds up.

C19E5C20-3BDC-4701-80A3-00D57C58592A (resized).jpegC19E5C20-3BDC-4701-80A3-00D57C58592A (resized).jpegF51EE37C-D189-4ADA-AA3C-10C1841AA187 (resized).jpegF51EE37C-D189-4ADA-AA3C-10C1841AA187 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#339 3 years ago

Anyone ever see this on power up? This shows up on my game and it takes about 2 minutes on this screen and then goes to normal boot. This is a new one for me...

DE86163A-65FF-4A55-84E5-45D634D5690B (resized).jpegDE86163A-65FF-4A55-84E5-45D634D5690B (resized).jpeg
#342 3 years ago

Yup, this was super helpful, I had that issue as well about 1 month after the game was out of the box. I followed these instructions and the issue went away and has never returned.

I will say that it was totally straightforward as to whether some of the commands were "taking" in the system. I got confused about what I was seeing on screen but admittedly I am not in IT and not a computer expert by any means so it might have just been my ignorance of how to interact with computer programs like this but in any case it worked. It seems like this is something that could very easily be resolved with a software update to the game.

#343 3 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

One more thing , maybe anyone noticed this :
Put about 20 games on the game from new and noticed the balls have major scratches on them
( see white scratches)
I put some new balls in now and see how long these last
[quoted image]

This game does have several locations where the ball strikes the hard edge of metal rails and things (think near the ramps where the skinny standup targets are). The game would have benefitted from a little more thoughtfulness on design to eliminate these hard edges as they damage the ball immediately and in some cases, severely.

#345 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

On the damaged balls I can make some comment.
As mentioned earlier I removed my subway and mylared it as a test.
This seems to have done the job or at least greatly improved it. It’s not that after several 10s of games zero wear is noticed but it’s a lot lot lot less. Removing subway is rather easy so easy to try it out yourselves and for sure worth a shot.

The game would feel and sound less "clunky" if that subway was molded plastic like the subways of Twilight Zone and other games of that nature. There's just a smoothness to it.

Thanks for the mylar tip!

#349 3 years ago
Quoted from PinheadEDM:

How do I get to nihilist showdown please? I’ve hit the 3 nihilist targets...

The game is set from factory to 25 hits to initiate the mode. Do yourself a favor and go into setting and reduce that dramatically.

1 month later
#368 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Only long term stand up target I ever found that works in High hit areas is the reinforced ones PBR and Marco sell. Used in Twilight Zone and a few others where the switch takes a pounding. With the back arm Formed it will never bend back.
[quoted image]

it looks like PinballLife now sells just the metal backplate. could make for an easy retrofit if you don't want to wait around anymore for Barry to send out replacements.

3 weeks later
#399 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

You would think the wire needs to down even further but ofcourse it should still be able to detect a ball rolling over it. Is the tilt like 6.5 degrees?

My first thought as well is what is the slope of your playfield? Mine is at 6.8 and I have NEVER had that issue. Could also do some switch adjustments to pull the wire form of the rollover further down so the ball doesn’t have so much to overcome as it travels.

1 month later
#547 2 years ago

So after all the random issues that some of these games have as each one is hand built and unique I find it more and more obnoxious how the most recent and current flippers are using the list of “improved parts” for the newer machines as some sort of sales pitch advantage as though it makes the game worth more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
15,000 (OBO)
$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dkjimbo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread?tu=Dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.