20240217_083247 (resized).jpg
20231231_181244 (resized).jpg
20240102_152844 (resized).jpg
20231231_181256 (resized).jpg
20231231_181308 (resized).jpg
IMG_3800 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2626 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,326 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 47.
#1751 1 year ago

Current builts have an aligner in place at that spot but first time I think I have seen a report like yours. Yes, there is some play and aligner was added I think just for security.

#1752 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Current builts have an aligner in place at that spot but first time I think I have seen a report like yours. Yes, there is some play and aligner was added I think just for security.

Post a picture when you can - thx.

#1753 1 year ago

I’m having an issue with the bowling alley. It frequently will let the ball pass the release solenoid when it is first kicked up to start bowling. It will cycle again and may or may not stop the ball the second or third time. When it does get past the stop it likes to hang up on the orange arms and I have to tilt to get the ball free. The solenoid seems to be in the up position

0FD6A2A3-FA2F-4B94-84C7-32338DEA8847 (resized).jpeg0FD6A2A3-FA2F-4B94-84C7-32338DEA8847 (resized).jpeg
#1754 1 year ago
Quoted from cconway84:

I’m having an issue with the bowling alley. It frequently will let the ball pass the release solenoid when it is first kicked up to start bowling. It will cycle again and may or may not stop the ball the second or third time. When it does get past the stop it likes to hang up on the orange arms and I have to tilt to get the ball free. The solenoid seems to be in the up position
[quoted image]

Difficult to see from this perspective but I think the plunger is binding on the wood and thus doesn’t come fully up again. See page 51 of the service faq.

#1755 1 year ago

On my TBL, the upkicker from "jesus" to the mini-playfield is loosing his strenght after a while. the ball can't get tothe mini playfield.
what can I do?

thx

#1756 1 year ago
Quoted from cconway84:

[quoted image]

The release pin isn't moving freely - it's binding with the bowling alley itself.

#1757 1 year ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

On my TBL, the upkicker from "jesus" to the mini-playfield is loosing his strenght after a while. the ball can't get tothe mini playfield.
what can I do?
thx

Are you sure it's losing its strength or is it mis-aligned? I'd check to see if a screw is loose on the housing or if its binding anywhere.

There are also coil strength settings. I'm not sure if the up-kicker is on there or not but it might be. Increase the strength and see if that works.

#1758 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Are you sure it's losing its strength or is it mis-aligned? I'd check to see if a screw is loose on the housing or if its binding anywhere.
There are also coil strength settings. I'm not sure if the up-kicker is on there or not but it might be. Increase the strength and see if that works.

no I'm not it's losing its strength.

#1759 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Ok not a software issue, physical issue. The diverter position isn't too high or too low as far as I can tell. Through more testing, I noticed that it wouldn't spring back up since the top left edge of it is was "rubbing" against the top left area of the plastic ramp cutout. As you may be able to see in these photos, it looks like the plastic cutout has been having some wear from this for a while now. So what did which is now making it spring back up expectedly was ever so lightly loosen the top 2 screws of the underside bracket, tighten the lower 2 bracket screws, and just ever so slightly "bend" the bracket downwards--all in order to move the piston "forward" so that the upper diverter piece can't rub against the ramp's cutout. (sorry I didn't take photos of the underside/bracket).
I think I have it mostly resolved with that sort of band-aid effort but I feel like there's still a problem. Nothing about the bracket has ever changed until I did so now. The piston of the whole thing has a ton of wiggle room back/forth and left/right. Is there supposed to be some aligning plastic insert or something around the hole in the lower orange plastic? Maybe that broke off or maybe the inner sleeve inside the coil has gotten cracked, allowing the piston to have tons of room for misalignment?[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Rensh:

Quoted from cpr9999:

Post a picture when you can - thx.

BUMP. Please post a picture Rensh and let folks know how to obtain the aligner. This wiggle room is undoubtedly going to cause future same/similar issues with the entire mechanism itself + increased wear and tear on the ramp.

#1760 1 year ago

Anyone else have the issue where the scoop fires SDTM? I tried numerous things including the velcro hack and finally got around to taking apart the subway and scoop today….alas, I discovered that the welds at the top of the scoop are completely broken…

I did a quick test simulating the welds in place with a zip tie (not a long term solution) and boom, scoop fired correctly.

Shot a note to DP, but that seems to be the issue. Check those welds!

Here is the one side. Other side is busted as well.

6E50FCC9-756D-4EC6-9CE3-21805AAE5105 (resized).jpeg6E50FCC9-756D-4EC6-9CE3-21805AAE5105 (resized).jpeg

#1761 1 year ago

Wow, Twilight Zone flashbacks! For TZ, the long term solution was a tab of "L" shaped metal welded over that seam.

#1762 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Wow, Twilight Zone flashbacks! For TZ, the long term solution was a tab of "L" shaped metal welded over that seam.

DP is the best, they are sending a replacement!

#1763 1 year ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

DP is the best, they are sending a replacement!

Ya know, the more I keep seeing how DP responds to issues that owners are having, the better I feel about my decision to order TBL in the first place.

A new part sent a day after reporting a problem? Who does this anymore?

#1764 1 year ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

Ya know, the more I keep seeing how DP responds to issues that owners are having, the better I feel about my decision to order TBL in the first place.

The combination of a couple things should make potential buyers feel good about purchasing...because they are special:

1. Rensh is top notch when it comes to support. Not only just email communication (which he is fantastic at), but also understanding the end-user point of view...which is rare. As you can see from my post above, not only did he respond quickly, but he also had a solution that satisfied the customer. A+. In addition, he is also actively updating the support FAQ AND is active on Pinside listening/responding to us here...truly special. I know the playfield issues are a bit more challenging, but even there he has been in communication with those involved and should be providing a solution soon.

2. KoenHeltzel is the lead software engineer on TBL and is also active on Pinside. He responds frequently and is always listening to feedback and incorporating where it makes sense. This is extremely rare and speaks to the pride he takes in the game itself. The 1.0+ code is a game changer and continues to get better!

Seriously, well done on DPs part. Sure they have had struggles and will continue to (all do), but if this was any of the other companies...I think the landscape would be vastly different (not in a good way).

#1765 1 year ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Anyone else have the issue where the scoop fires SDTM? I tried numerous things including the velcro hack and finally got around to taking apart the subway and scoop today….alas, I discovered that the welds at the top of the scoop are completely broken…
I did a quick test simulating the welds in place with a zip tie (not a long term solution) and boom, scoop fired correctly.
Shot a note to DP, but that seems to be the issue. Check those welds!
Here is the one side. Other side is busted as well.
[quoted image]

I had the same issue (scoop SDTM), and the welds were/are broken, however I also noticed that the scoop mech itself was loose. Once I tightened it up it started to shoot to the right flipper again. I had to grind off part of the lip on the scoop where it matches up to the subway as balls were getting stuck there pretty often.

#1766 1 year ago

I have been noticing multiple issues with my machine after this latest update, which I don’t know if they’re related.

1. During any rug mode when I get the ball in the scoop, the machine doesn’t recognize it’s in there and has to go into ball search mode before it finally kicks it out.

2. Machine has frozen on me on multiple occasions during character multiball.

3. Right flipper starts getting stuck in the up position after about 15 to 30 minutes of play and will drop down slowly after a few seconds, or I have to tap the flipper button very quickly and it’ll drop back down.

I get no errors under the test report so I don’t know what could be causing this problem.

All these issues are a first, I have only had very minor adjustments to make to my TBL since I got it.

#1767 1 year ago

I’ve read in prior posts about each one of those issues you’re having long prior to this new update. I’m sure someone will chime in but they required adjustments. I had no problems with mine post update.

#1768 1 year ago
Quoted from TonyVrd:

I have been noticing multiple issues with my machine after this latest update, which I don’t know if they’re related.
1. During any rug mode when I get the ball in the scoop, the machine doesn’t recognize it’s in there and has to go into ball search mode before it finally kicks it out.
2. Machine has frozen on me on multiple occasions during character multiball.
3. Right flipper starts getting stuck in the up position after about 15 to 30 minutes of play and will drop down slowly after a few seconds, or I have to tap the flipper button very quickly and it’ll drop back down.
I get no errors under the test report so I don’t know what could be causing this problem.
All these issues are a first, I have only had very minor adjustments to make to my TBL since I got it.

Already answered per mail as follows

1+2 Likely an USB cable has wiggled itself loose. See servicefaq page 67
3 Likely height has to be adjusted, see servicefaq page 259

#1769 1 year ago

Does software download work with Mac?

#1770 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Does software download work with Mac?

Yep - I use a Mac.

#1771 1 year ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Yep - I use a Mac.

Trying to get up to 1.10 so i can drop your upgrade in there!

I'm at .53 code which doesn't show as a "delta version".

Wondering if i need to drop down to a "delta" to go to .59 and then 1.10?

#1772 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Trying to get up to 1.10 so i can drop your upgrade in there!
I'm at .53 code which doesn't show as a "delta version".
Wondering if i need to drop down to a "delta" to go to .59 and then 1.10?

https://www.dutchpinball.com/the_big_lebowski_pinball_software

The software download page tells you what you need to do.

0.53 -> 0.59 -> 1.10 -> 1.11

Download 0.59, upgrade to that. Once you've successfully updated to 0.59 and booted into that version, delete any older software versions you have installed. Once you've done that, download 1.10 and install that. Once you've booted into 1.10, then download 1.11 and install that.

A "delta" update just means it contains changes from the previous minimum version, which is different from a full update like you see with Stern pins. That's why on the TBL software page it says "You have to be running xx version or later to install".

#1773 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

https://www.dutchpinball.com/the_big_lebowski_pinball_software
The software download page tells you what you need to do.
0.53 -> 0.59 -> 1.10 -> 1.11
Download 0.59, upgrade to that. Once you've successfully updated to 0.59 and booted into that version, delete any older software versions you have installed. Once you've done that, download 1.10 and install that. Once you've booted into 1.10, then download 1.11 and install that.
A "delta" update just means it contains changes from the previous minimum version, which is different from a full update like you see with Stern pins. That's why on the TBL software page it says "You have to be running xx version or later to install".

Thx. I appreciate the help!

I downloaded .59 and 1.10 on separate usb thumb drives

Followed instructions and went to software menu and it wasn’t recognizing the usb drive. Tried several times to re seat etc

Will try the second slot in back today.

That doesn’t work I’ll try a different usb stick.

Should be simple right?

#1774 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Thx. I appreciate the help!
I downloaded .59 and 1.10 on separate usb thumb drives
Followed instructions and went to software menu and it wasn’t recognizing the usb drive. Tried several times to re seat etc
Will try the second slot in back today.
That doesn’t work I’ll try a different usb stick.
Should be simple right?

Should be, yeah.

Make sure the USB stick is formatted as FAT32 and after you copy the files over, since you're using a Mac, run 'sudo dot_clean /Volumes/YOUR_USB_STICK_HERE' from a Terminal window. Macs are dumb and put hidden files everywhere for metadata purposes and it can mess with software updates for pins and other devices (I use a Mac as well).

#1775 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

Should be, yeah.
Make sure the USB stick is formatted as FAT32 and after you copy the files over, since you're using a Mac, run 'sudo dot_clean /Volumes/YOUR_USB_STICK_HERE' from a Terminal window. Macs are dumb and put hidden files everywhere for metadata purposes and it can mess with software updates for pins and other devices (I use a Mac as well).

Thx. Makes sense. Spooky has same issue they are in process of fixing.

Have a friend that can do windows download. Will try that too.

#1776 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Thx. Makes sense. Spooky has same issue they are in process of fixing.
Have a friend that can do windows download. Will try that too.

If you don’t care about your high scores, you can just plug in the drive I sent…it is already upgraded. If you do, then you will, but just letting you know!

#1777 1 year ago

If the update file is not found it usually is because the file is no longer zipped. Mac is famous for unzipping files automatically. Best don’t use safari but chrome.

#1778 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

If the update file is not found it usually is because the file is no longer zipped. Mac is famous for unzipping files automatically. Best don’t use safari but chrome.

Thx! Trying it now

Quoted from jyeakley:

If you don’t care about your high scores, you can just plug in the drive I sent…it is already upgraded. If you do, then you will, but just letting you know!

Can I jump from .53 to 1.10 with your upgrade? That’s easy. I’ll just do that.

Nvm, stupid me. I was putting the usb in the 1st slot by feel. The back 2 I couldn’t see or feel!

On the move now. Excited about this update

#1779 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Thx! Trying it now

Can I jump from .53 to 1.10 with your upgrade? That’s easy. I’ll just do that.
Nvm, stupid me. I was putting the usb in the 1st slot by feel. The back 2 I couldn’t see or feel!
On the move now. Excited about this update

Yeah, the drive is already updated. The updating to your current machine is to export the database (scores, etc). Glad it is working!

#1780 1 year ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

I’ve had a few issues that made the game temporarily unplayable and they have been great responding and helping me trouble shoot. Game is working well now.

#1781 1 year ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

A saddle bar (~1/2" wide steel rectangle, long enough to bend over the sides also ~1/2 on each side) across the top and over the edges on the top of the curve that is then welded to the sides will be stronger long-term. More of a Dutch solution/production change, but I've fixed enough B/W pins that way that I know it works long-term.

#1782 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A saddle bar (~1/2" wide steel rectangle, long enough to bend over the sides also ~1/2 on each side) across the top and over the edges on the top of the curve that is then welded to the sides will be stronger long-term. More of a Dutch solution/production change, but I've fixed enough B/W pins that way that I know it works long-term.

I’m no welder but what about if the seams were a continuous weld rather than a few spots?

Just as a data point, my BKSOR catapult ramp snapped the spot welds just like being discussed here. Stern did send a replacement after a while.

#1783 1 year ago

Just downloaded 1.1 from .58 and now I am stuck on this screen. Any tips?

CF7CAA7E-3412-4887-8197-6AA5FC1C7E95 (resized).jpegCF7CAA7E-3412-4887-8197-6AA5FC1C7E95 (resized).jpeg
#1784 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Problem: Game says "coin door open" and doesn't do anything else. Won't let you start a game, push buttons on coin door, closing and opening coin door does nothing etc.
Solution: F04 Fuse was blown. The red light next to it didn't light up. The game comes with spares (T1.6A) so we popped one in and it worked again.
---------------------------------------------
I wish we had done that at the beginning. Literally the first rule of pinball repair is to check the easiest solutions first and work your way down. But instead we took off the two small boards next to the coin door and inspected the solder; all looked good. We tested the boards with a multimeter; all good there. After talking and analyzing we followed the pathways of the wires up to the main board on the playfield and it was next to several fuses, one of which had a light out. It was labeled "Cabinet". That was the culprit.
Just an FYI if anyone else is having this issue.

Just had the same "coin door open" issue. Nothing would work, including the menu buttons. Opened it up and found fuse F04 with no light on next to it. Replaced it and the game fired up immediately upon restart, no issues at all. Thanks for posting the solution! I also found it in the FAQ, but started with the fuse angle based on your suggestion.

#1785 1 year ago
Quoted from cmdestin:

Just downloaded 1.1 from .58 and now I am stuck on this screen. Any tips?
[quoted image]

Plug a USB keyboard in, use the tab key to navigate to the buttons and try ignore (hit enter once the ignore button is highlighted)?

#1786 1 year ago

Just got an interesting issue Scoop opto (39 games) not working and lost nugget in the lower subways. lost a ball and played like 20 games ok then this. Really don't want to start disassembling things.

Thoughts?

#1787 1 year ago
Quoted from budroosker:

Just got an interesting issue Scoop opto (39 games) not working and lost nugget in the lower subways. lost a ball and played like 20 games ok then this. Really don't want to start disassembling things.
Thoughts?

Scoop opto message is solved in latest software release 111.

Lost nugget in the subways, bit mysterious description but check out page 331 service faq

#1788 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Lost nugget in the subways, bit mysterious description but check out page 331 service faq

HHHm I am on 1.11. So that is odd, but I'll just ignore that as a coincidence to what happened. The ball went up the left ramp to lock and is now somewhere in the subways.

#1789 1 year ago

Actually I remember I switched back to 1.1 to test something so disregard that

#1790 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

So I ended up taking off the subway and found the ball and the piece at the end of the subway which directs the ball had broken off and had jammed perfectly with the ball so it wouldn't move.

Need some advice on best solve here. This piece does seem fragile. Is there a replacement version?

20230303_201251 (resized).jpg20230303_201251 (resized).jpg
#1791 1 year ago

Others getting airballs stuck here? Anyone come up with a solution?

20230303_203834 (resized).jpg20230303_203834 (resized).jpg
#1792 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

Others getting airballs stuck here? Anyone come up with a solution?
[quoted image]

Common problem, it seems. Essentially needs a plastic shield on that screw holding the plastic to the left of it so there's a transparent wall to stop the ball from hopping the wireform, or a shroud on the bowling ball hood that directs the ball onto the wireform so it doesn't get airborne.

#1793 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Common problem, it seems. Essentially needs a plastic shield on that screw holding the plastic to the left of it so there's a transparent wall to stop the ball from hopping the wireform, or a shroud on the bowling ball hood that directs the ball onto the wireform so it doesn't get airborne.

Actually - mine are usually airballs from the playfield. I haven't had anything skip out of the wireform. Thinking something like this might work by simply preventing a landing spot.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/01619-the-big-lebowski-got-balls-mod-not-for-use-on-shomer-shabos

#1794 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

Actually - mine are usually airballs from the playfield. I haven't had anything skip out of the wireform. Thinking something like this might work by simply preventing a landing spot.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/01619-the-big-lebowski-got-balls-mod-not-for-use-on-shomer-shabos

I have three on there and haven't had an issue since. It's still possible but the ball would have to land dead center between the three.

They have coloured bowling balls on Amazon and eBay for about $2 each. They don't have a logo and come on a keychain but are basically identical.

https://www.amazon.com/Bowling-Pendant-Keychain-Mental-Hangbag/dp/B07GK145TS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6

#1795 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

Ah! I don't have a TBL and only played it a few times, so I was unaware how the ball was getting there.

Someone posted a picture with that mod and a pinball that had dropped in to sit with them. So it doesn't prevent it completely, but it might help...

#1796 1 year ago
Quoted from budroosker:

So I ended up taking off the subway and found the ball and the piece at the end of the subway which directs the ball had broken off and had jammed perfectly with the ball so it wouldn't move.
Need some advice on best solve here. This piece does seem fragile. Is there a replacement version?[quoted image]

Ok. That’s unfortunate. Best to sent an email to [email protected] with serialno and address.

It’s made from a flat steel plate and then bent. Guess it would be best to sent it flat and then user bent it. Need to ask factory how they feel about it. Is first one I see this broken since I do support.

90558F20-D795-4C6B-953E-6A85DF749FFD (resized).jpeg90558F20-D795-4C6B-953E-6A85DF749FFD (resized).jpeg
#1797 1 year ago
Quoted from mac2444:

I have three on there and haven't had an issue since. It's still possible but the ball would have to land dead center between the three.
They have coloured bowling balls on Amazon and eBay for about $2 each. They don't have a logo and come on a keychain but are basically identical.
amazon.com link »

How did you stick yours on? I’ve tried hot glue and had them come off about 10-20 times so I gave up. Doing something super permanent worried me that if the balls did get damaged or come off that it would ruin the chrome plastic bowling ball rest thing

#1798 1 year ago

I have used clear gorilla tape and it has worked very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-6036002-Tough-Mounting-inches/dp/B07LFRN1K8/ref=sxts_rp_s_a_1_0

Quoted from ezatnova:

How did you stick yours on? I’ve tried hot glue and had them come off about 10-20 times so I gave up. Doing something super permanent worried me that if the balls did get damaged or come off that it would ruin the chrome plastic bowling ball rest thing

#1799 1 year ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

I used a local alternative but mine I did with this type of stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Sticky-Reusable-Gallery-Quality-Adhesive/dp/B01GEGXP0K

#1800 1 year ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

I haven't had the same issues with hot glue on these. I've only ever have one get knocked off. Tried it on a couple other add ons though and it wasn't strong enough. For sure not good enough for a location game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 22.50
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 210.00
15,000 (OBO)
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,326 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/36?hl=ray-dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.