1_ZBrg1rPPv-hvte0RkBYgPA (resized).jpg
IMG_0685 (resized).JPG
20240217_083247 (resized).jpg
20231231_181244 (resized).jpg
20240102_152844 (resized).jpg
20231231_181256 (resized).jpg
20231231_181308 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,333 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 47.
#751 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

So… Tried latest update and now my machine is bricked. Followed the directions but am stuck on a “Ubuntu Desktop” screen… Gggggrrrrrrr… Any suggestions???
Thanks,
Jeff

It is not bricked .. just connect a keyboard.
Also I suggest to clone a working SSD (and hold a copy on the pc) , so if in trouble you can switch the SSD (takes 4 minutes) and play again.

#752 2 years ago

We're back online following the directions sent over by DP Support (Rens). Thanks!!! Now I know going forward what to do and if I missed it in this thread my apologies but here's the procedure:

Connect a keyboard and mouse.
Start up TBL
Push windows key
You get now a list of files and folders, go to TBL
In this folder you will find a txt file called Version. Open it. Likely it will now show 056. Change this to last working version, assume 055.
Save file and reboot

Thanks,
Jeff

#753 2 years ago

My lower playfield window is getting a bit scratched up, nothing major just annoying... LOL Is this the correct replacement?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8702

Thanks,
Jeff

#754 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

My lower playfield window is getting a bit scratched up, nothing major just annoying... LOL
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"805878d5b79e3ce2e3f6f2ae9b6b5661f499fa4b-1632772451-1800"};
//]]>

Is this the correct replacement?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8702
Thanks,
Jeff

Yes.

You will need to modify it a little bit, just compare it with the one you take out. Nothing fancy.

#755 2 years ago

Turns out the coil had shifted. I loosened the two screws, realigned, and it works fine. I did get a scare, 1 game in, the upper flipper stopped working. After a power off/on everything's seems back to normal. Thanks

#756 2 years ago

New issue to report. Game has been setting in the same place since opening. The cabinet decals are now coming off. Not even sure what to do. New cabinet decal set?

20210928_073508 (resized).jpg20210928_073508 (resized).jpg20210928_073516 (resized).jpg20210928_073516 (resized).jpg
#757 2 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

New issue to report. Game has been setting in the same place since opening. The cabinet decals are now coming off. Not even sure what to do. New cabinet decal set?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Try heating it up with a hairdryer (don’t overheat !!) and see if you can stick it back and flatten it out.

#758 2 years ago

Hi all
I don‘t know if I‘m posting this in the right place but my TBL Stopped ejecting the ball from the trough. When I remove all 5 balls and run the switch test, I get this message on the screen. When I run a piece of paper between the optos, only opto 1 and 2 work properly. Any ball trough opto problems reported yet? Is there a thread I can read? I‘m also pretty new to the forum.
Thanks for any help
Kaspar

715488D6-A478-4B79-A8B9-0DDEA1D8FDA8 (resized).jpeg715488D6-A478-4B79-A8B9-0DDEA1D8FDA8 (resized).jpeg
#759 2 years ago
Quoted from lagoontrap:

Hi all
I don‘t know if I‘m posting this in the right place but my TBL Stopped ejecting the ball from the trough. When I remove all 5 balls and run the switch test, I get this message on the screen. When I run a piece of paper between the optos, only opto 1 and 2 work properly. Any ball trough opto problems reported yet? Is there a thread I can read? I‘m also pretty new to the forum.
Thanks for any help
Kaspar
[quoted image]

Pls check your mailbox in regard to a response I sent you from DP support a few hours earlier on this topic with a document for you to check. Let me know your findings.

#760 2 years ago

Rensh When will the rest of us with the clicking power supplies get the updated software to install . Thanks Tim

1 week later
#761 2 years ago

I'm a new 2nd owner of a newer low play build and while I've had a couple minor issues, these were easily fixed.

One issue I haven't been able to fix yet is with the bowling alley release pin. The pin will be up for the first ball and it releases ok, and then very slowly starts to come back up. After that I get 4-5 balls which roll through until the release pin is high enough to hold a ball for me to shoot the spare.

Comparing mine to the picture in the support manual, my release pin is farther down in the U-shaped cut-out towards the foul line, but doesn't seem to be rubbing on the wood, and I can manually push it down and it comes back up freely. I was going to try adjusting the coil bracket as suggested in the manual to move the release pin farther back to see if that helps. Anything else I should try while I'm messing with it?

#762 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

I'm a new 2nd owner of a newer low play build and while I've had a couple minor issues, these were easily fixed.
One issue I haven't been able to fix yet is with the bowling alley release pin. The pin will be up for the first ball and it releases ok, and then very slowly starts to come back up. After that I get 4-5 balls which roll through until the release pin is high enough to hold a ball for me to shoot the spare.
Comparing mine to the picture in the support manual, my release pin is farther down in the U-shaped cut-out towards the foul line, but doesn't seem to be rubbing on the wood, and I can manually push it down and it comes back up freely. I was going to try adjusting the coil bracket as suggested in the manual to move the release pin farther back to see if that helps. Anything else I should try while I'm messing with it?

Release pin was rubbing and just needed an adjustment to get it working 100%. The pictures in tech support manual helped a lot.

#763 2 years ago

Hello everybody,
I had no problems with the car modes for many weeks. Now the car rattles after starting a car mode. Sometimes the rattling stops after the first hit…
I guess the targets might be bent backwards a little bit!? If so, any ideas for a permanent fix?

#764 2 years ago
Quoted from DrBernd:

Hello everybody,
I had no problems with the car modes for many weeks. Now the car rattles after starting a car mode. Sometimes the rattling stops after the first hit…
I guess the targets might be bent backwards a little bit!? If so, any ideas for a permanent fix?

Does it rattle in open position? Than parking targets likely need some adjustment

With rel 057 the car stepper test nowadays clearly mentions the name of the switch activated to easy to identify.

Let me know how you get along.

#765 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Does it rattle in open position? Than parking targets likely need some adjustment
With rel 057 the car stepper test nowadays clearly mentions the name of the switch activated to easy to identify.
Let me know how you get along.

Hello Rens,
the problem is solved. However, it was not because of the adjustment of the targets.
The reason for the rattling was that the bracket of the garage door had bent on the axis, so that the outer edge of the door scratched the playfield in front of the left target. As a result, there was probably not enough strength to operate the switches.
Fortunately, I have a playfield protector installed…
I bent the garage door up again, just enough that it doesn’t touch the PF anymore when the door is opening.
However, this will not be a permanent solution.
Greetings,
Bernd

#766 2 years ago
Quoted from DrBernd:

Hello Rens,
the problem is solved. However, it was not because of the adjustment of the targets.
The reason for the rattling was that the bracket of the garage door had bent on the axis, so that the outer edge of the door scratched the playfield in front of the left target. As a result, there was probably not enough strength to operate the switches.
Fortunately, I have a playfield protector installed…
I bent the garage door up again, just enough that it doesn’t touch the PF anymore when the door is opening.
However, this will not be a permanent solution.
Greetings,
Bernd

This is a new one for me. The axis is quite a thick one so will not bent easily. Did you make a picture how it looked eg at which spot it bent? Quite surprised frankly speaking this happened.

#767 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

This is a new one for me. The axis is quite a thick one so will not bent easily. Did you make a picture how it looked eg at which spot it bent? Quite surprised frankly speaking this happened.

…the axis itself is thick and maybe solid enough.
But the hinge of the door consists in principle only of two metal rings that sit on top and bottom of the axis. And the door with the car hangs on it. And that’s a bashtoy, hit by the ball from a short distance a thousend times…
The difference before-after cannot be shown on a photo, sorry.

#768 2 years ago

Hi there! My bunny plastic is broken off at the top and cracked on the bottom. I'd like to protect these, but also purchase a replacement. Are there replacements available anywhere?

Thank you!

#769 2 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Hi there! My bunny plastic is broken off at the top and cracked on the bottom. I'd like to protect these, but also purchase a replacement. Are there replacements available anywhere?
Thank you!

If you consider a „do it yourself“ solution, you could create clear protectors from 1mm macrolon (easy to cut), e.g. like this…

0781A285-021B-466B-B76D-D5C50CE76D8F (resized).jpeg0781A285-021B-466B-B76D-D5C50CE76D8F (resized).jpeg
#770 2 years ago
Quoted from DrBernd:

If you consider a „do it yourself“ solution, you could create clear protectors from 1mm macrolon (easy to cut), e.g. like this…[quoted image]

that looks great! I can certainly do that, but I’m hoping to find actual replacement plastic with the graphic since mine is broken in multiple spots :-/

#771 2 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

that looks great! I can certainly do that, but I’m hoping to find actual replacement plastic with the graphic since mine is broken in multiple spots :-/

Buy plastics from Cointaker.com

#772 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Buy plastics from Cointaker.com

Ok I’ll check them out. I think they only sell as a set?

#773 2 years ago
Quoted from edmorex:

Good point. Yes I am at ~6.5 to 6.6 if my iPhone's sensors is to be believed. I will try raising it closer to 7.

Older topic, but I've noticed that the rear leveler feet have to be almost fully extended to get around 7 degrees. Is that what most folks are running on this game? If so, I might need to increase flipper strength to engage rug mode at all!

#774 2 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Older topic, but I've noticed that the rear leveler feet have to be almost fully extended to get around 7 degrees. Is that what most folks are running on this game? If so, I might need to increase flipper strength to engage rug mode at all!

#775 2 years ago

I’m dead on at 6.5 now. Will hang there then. Seems to be working fine except the never-ending left ramp issues. Otherwise such a great game.

#776 2 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

The fun doesn't stop with my machine. Two new issues popped up today out of nowhere:
1. Shooter Lane Diverter not working: The ball is not going around to Maude letters since the diverter is not lifting out of the way. It looks like there's a secondary spring that's supposed to be attached to an arm underneath the coil but it's just flailing about. Notice how in the second picture it's turned sideways. The little pin mechanism is loose and I don't know but it seems like the spring is supposed to be looped around the hole in the arm below but there is no lead from the spring to do so as far as I can tell.
EDIT: After further research it appears this type of spring is supposed to have a loop lead on both ends. Mine only has the top one and/or the bottom one somehow snapped off. I was able to create my own loop with a pair of pliers but I'll still need to replace this. Part referenced at Marco's: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-389
Photo of what it should look like I believe:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Same thing on mine today. I just got some needle nose pliers, pulled/twisted the end of the spring a bit, and reconnected it to the diverter to get it working again.

And about a week ago the same loop on the end of my left flipper spring broke. I believe the flipper return springs are part number 10-364. Bad batch of springs I guess.

#777 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Same thing on mine today. I just got some needle nose pliers, pulled/twisted the end of the spring a bit, and reconnected it to the diverter to get it working again.
And about a week ago the same loop on the end of my left flipper spring broke. I believe the flipper return springs are part number 10-364. Bad batch of springs I guess.

Jeez - my left flipper return spring broke yesterday as well! Ordered 5 for $1.55 + $13 shipping :-/ Cointaker minimum shipping is rough.

#778 2 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Jeez - my left flipper return spring broke yesterday as well! Ordered 5 for $1.55 + $13 shipping :-/ Cointaker minimum shipping is rough.

I ordered a couple of the flipper springs from Marco, so shipping was $10, but I got a couple other things too. But not the diverter spring, that I didn't know I needed until yesterday. So far my makeshift spring repairs seem to be working ok. Here's what the diverter spring looked like before I fixed it. Maybe the spring holes have a sharp edge on them that eventually cuts through the spring loops?

BrokenSpring (resized).jpgBrokenSpring (resized).jpg
#779 2 years ago

I updated to the latest code. Now I am getting a system error pop up. I searched the forums and found a fix, but when I hit esc to get to the Ubuntu screen the system error pops up again and goes to a black screen. I can not get to the ubuntu screen to fix the error. Anyone else run into this?

#780 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

I updated to the latest code. Now I am getting a system error pop up. I searched the forums and found a fix, but when I hit esc to get to the Ubuntu screen the system error pops up again and goes to a black screen. I can not get to the ubuntu screen to fix the error. Anyone else run into this?

Try this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-official-club-thread/page/58#post-6544575

That should get you into the file manager if hitting the windows key and typing terminal doesn't work. I had to get rid of the error message recently and I think I might have had to hit cancel on the error screen after hitting esc to be able to open a terminal window.

I think we can get rid of these pop-ups permanently by disabling the Ubuntu apport service. If I happens again I'm going to try that.

#781 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Try this procedure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/va6ipxwx7x8mt4s/System%20error%20pop-up%20FAQ.pdf?dl=0

DP is working on a complete overhaul of the operating system, hopefully this will make this happen no more.

Try this

#782 2 years ago

My game keeps resetting during play. Haven't been able to pinpoint any common point when it happens.

#783 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

DP is working on a complete overhaul of the operating system, hopefully this will make this happen no more.

Just don't lock it down to the point where I lose my real Creedence, man.

#784 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My game keeps resetting during play. Haven't been able to pinpoint any common point when it happens.

The person I bought mine from said he saw a couple resets. When I got it home I made sure to reseat all of the USB connections, and I haven't seen any in a couple hundred games, most on the newest software.

#785 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

With questions like this it helps to mention your serialnumber as builts change over time.

For starters: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0snmzydewcwg7u/Freezes%20hangups%20switches%20not%20responsive%20issues%20FAQ.pdf?dl=0

#786 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

With questions like this it helps to mention your serialnumber as builts change over time.
For starters: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0snmzydewcwg7u/Freezes%20hangups%20switches%20not%20responsive%20issues%20FAQ.pdf?dl=0

Thank you. I will check it out.

#787 2 years ago

I went through the pages. Found two nihilist switches stuck. That cleared the errors. Re-seated all the connections in that list.
Played a few games and didn't make it through any of them without an issue.
Flippers keep dying mid game, ball drains and game gets confused and just sits there requiring a reset.

#788 2 years ago

As mentioned in my previous post, a serialno would help.

Next step would be to add additional 5V wires as per the document. Or reflow the solder at the power pins of the Proc. Depends on serialnumber.

#789 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I went through the pages. Found two nihilist switches stuck.

They don't even exist so why bother? /sarcasm

#790 2 years ago

My Maude gate sometimes stays fully open when it shouldn't. I'm thinking it is probably the rollover back there not registering and I'm going to check that later. It should always close after a ball passes through, correct?

#791 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

My Maude gate sometimes stays fully open when it shouldn't. I'm thinking it is probably the rollover back there not registering and I'm going to check that later. It should always close after a ball passes through, correct?

Correct. Should close. See if the spring is properly attached.

#792 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I went through the pages. Found two nihilist switches stuck. That cleared the errors. Re-seated all the connections in that list.
Played a few games and didn't make it through any of them without an issue.
Flippers keep dying mid game, ball drains and game gets confused and just sits there requiring a reset.

...Sounds like the trough might be "seeing" a ball when it shouldn't and ending your ball prematurely... We've had intermittent trough problems with that same signature, but it only happens occasionally so we've never "fixed" it...

#793 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Correct. Should close. See if the spring is properly attached.

Thanks. The spring was attached, but the end of the connecting rod, or whatever it is called, was sometimes getting caught up on the edge of the opening (see before picture). I carefully bent it so it has plenty of clearance now.

MaudeGate (resized).jpgMaudeGate (resized).jpg
#794 2 years ago

PSA: For those who have to lift their playfield a lot, be on the lookout for your PF hinge pivot(s) coming unscrewed. I've had so many physical issues with my TBL that I've had to pull the playfield up and out more times than I ever felt I should. Apparently over time and time again of pulling the playfield out and up, the hinge pivot on the left side has slowly unscrewed itself. While I was fixing something completely unrelated I realized that my Left Ball Gate wasn't closing. Upon investigation, the cause was this pivot had unscrewed itself so far out of the cabinet that it contacted the the ball gate coil bracket. Therefore as I was pulling the playfield up, the hinge pivot caught and bent the gate coil assembly completely backwards, ruining the entire thing. Fortunately I was able to bend the assembly back into its vertical position then Allen wrench the hinge pivot back into its place. Check both hinges on your machine and make sure they aren't inching their way inward.

bad rail guide and assembly bent (resized).pngbad rail guide and assembly bent (resized).png
#795 2 years ago

THANK YOU RENS.

I am not adept at pinball repair at all. Turn on the game, some clicking Turn it off. Turn it on again, all three motors fail. Luckily I have Rens and the group on this thread.

Go back to 542 and 543. Find the same problem. Same solution (blown fuse 06). Go to the technical manual in dropbox, Rens has a section on fuses, a description of replacements and -- for good measure -- a link to pinball life to get new ones.

So thank you to everyone on this thread who helps each other. and most of all big thanks to Rens who helps us all.

#796 2 years ago

My TBL left flip is dead, the button switch is operating fine; all three coil lugs measure ~41vdc, it’s just no longer grounding. It’s on location so I don’t have any info on what led to the failure.

I do a lot of board work on old through-hole boards but these PF mounted boards are very new to me. I have no idea how to approach board work on this one and I don’t know how to source schematics… or what transistor(s) could be affected.

Is there any documentation on flipper issues that could help me get this sorted? Can I even do this board work myself?

F7BB491E-5D37-4DE2-89FF-3D02325926E6 (resized).jpegF7BB491E-5D37-4DE2-89FF-3D02325926E6 (resized).jpeg
#797 2 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

My TBL left flip is dead, the button switch is operating fine; all three coil lugs measure ~41vdc, it’s just no longer grounding. It’s on location so I don’t have any info on what led to the failure.
I do a lot of board work on old through-hole boards but these PF mounted boards are very new to me. I have no idea how to approach board work on this one and I don’t know how to source schematics… or what transistor(s) could be affected.
Is there any documentation on flipper issues that could help me get this sorted? Can I even do this board work myself?
[quoted image]

You would be the first I think who has a burned out transistor so unlikely.

Now the signals go from the MMB to the FMB CI two ribbon cables. Can you, carefully, reseat them? Further more, can you swap the two connections going from the FMB to left and right flipper coil? This to see if problem moves with the swap. They are next to each other on the pcb so easy to try out. Had one time a failure like this caused by a bad crimping of the wire inside the connector.

#798 2 years ago

Switched the flipper cables, that made it so the left flipper worked, right dead. Will try the ribbon cables up stream next.

#799 2 years ago

DangerTerror I had the same flipper issue. It was caused by the top of the bowling alley intermittently touching the PCB you have taken a picture of. You can see coating removed due to rubbing, showing bare copper in your picture. The fix was the lift the mounting bracket that holds the playfield under the lockdown bar as high as it could go.

#800 2 years ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

DangerTerror I had the same flipper issue. It was caused by the top of the bowling alley intermittently touching the PCB you have taken a picture of. You can see coating removed due to rubbing, showing bare copper in your picture. The fix was the lift the mounting bracket that holds the playfield under the lockdown bar as high as it could go.

Good catch, thanks.

See page 175 of https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpyc5ww2te7rxz7/Technical%20support%20TBL%20FAQ%20manual.pdf?dl=0

So far reports were right flipper were here left flipper which caught me off guard, apologies for this. Will edit faq.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

15,000 (OBO)
$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 22.50
14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 2,333 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-lotta-ins-a-lotta-outs-tbl-maintenance-thread/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.