Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Bowman9
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you be interested in this kit?”

• Yes 49 votes
      43%
    • No 32 votes
      28%
    • Maybe 34 votes
      30%

(115 votes)

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 11 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

When you start asking ANYONE to become involved in tweaking an Arduino, Rasberry Pi, PIC, Atmel, PC, Apple Tart - you have lost 90% of the audience. Some people will like PC, others PIC etc etc and most will NOT like to cross over because they either lack the time, patience, skill or motivation to do so.

He already said that there is NO programing involved.

If you ARE a programmer, then you will probably hack away anyway - if not, don't.

#102 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

He already said that there is NO programing involved.
    If you ARE a programmer, then you will probably hack away anyway - if not, don't.

OP said:

"We're basing the system on the popular Arduino open-source electronic platform. Why? Well there are a few reasons. Firstly, there's a lot of code available at the moment to speed development. Secondly, a lot of people can program using this micro-controller. Thirdly, we're looking at releasing the source code so you can tinker, modify and share your game/scoring with others. We think this is important. Rather than just building the game and playing it, we think updating it, changing it, or making the game-play better is also half the fun. It's also fun to share with the rest of the pinball community. It also makes the game more accessible to those that never thought of building a pinball machine but have a love of the Arduino."

I think the aim 'IS' for end users to tinker - but who knows?? Basing anything on an Arduino smacks of 'hobby computer play' to me. Arduinos are for tinkerers NOT commercial applications - IMO!

Another question I have is why hasn't the OP mentioned ANY of this stuff on either of the two Australian Pinball forums since they are in Sydney apparently?

They need some credibility and FAST! Open a Facebook page or whatever and show us what they have, proto or not, part finished and in development is OK, warts and all.

Again - all just my opinions.

#103 11 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

They need some credibility and FAST!

What's the hurry?

Not like they are taking $7500 from you and making you wait 3 years.

This is called market researching.

They have put an idea out there. They are listening to your feedback. They can firm up their plans and release a better prototype.

#104 11 years ago

Home pin has slowly built up a good reputation for building replacement PCB for pinball machines for a number of years
    With his reputation, you can buy his stuff with confidence

Similarly, jersey Jack has built up a reputation for years before he started the WoZ project

Same with other newcomers on the scene

A good reputation need to be earned

#105 11 years ago

Why do I have the sudden urge to dig out my "Bill Budge Pinball Construction Set" floppy disc for my Commodore 64?

#106 11 years ago

I have a bunch of shit wood and old EM parts out back. If anyone is interested, the price for that kit is only $500. Let me know.

#107 11 years ago

I still like this idea and think it is a great opportunity for others to build off what they are doing.

Look at some of the other products and mods that have been created for pinball machines like "the P.I.G" for instance.
    The P.I.G. fills in a gap for those that want interactive mods but are not comfortable figuring it out for themselves.

So in the same vain couldn't someone else come up with a simple stand alone plug-n-play sound card that would work off of the out-put signals produced by the Arduino microcontroller?

I remember a time when computers didn't come standard with modems or sound cards, so I'm just saying this sounds more like an opportunity for somebody to create a small side business if this kit does get produced.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-kit-based-pinball-machine-for-you-to-build/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.