(Topic ID: 250771)

A kid that "gets it" about pinball

By SilverUnicorn

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ster4 (resized).jpg
    ster3 (resized).jpg
    sterling (resized).jpg
    ster1 (resized).jpg
    ster2 (resized).jpg
    stergnr (resized).jpg
    ster (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider silverunicorn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

We have many people over at various times of the year, and eventually, we end up in the game room. Most people just play the games without any thought, but the other day was different.

A friend of my wife came over with her 10 year old son. He was excited as he knew we had a game room. When we went down, he didn't just go up and start pounding the flippers. He walked through the game room, looked at each and every pin, looked at all the instruction cards, and then decided what he wanted to play.

As he was playing, his mom asked "how's it going?" His reply was "Good, but I don't fully understand the objectives, so I'm not getting as many points as I could".

I found this to be pretty insightful for a 10 year old (let alone an adult). It was kind of refreshing to see someone who wanted to learn about the game they were playing rather than just hit a ball around the playfield.

Anyway, I thought to myself that this kid gets it. They are fun to play, but there ARE objectives. I thought it was a cool moment, and he became more of a fan of pinball through it.

Chris

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Nice. Which game(s) did he play the most?

He really liked Pinball Magic. He played that and Phantom of the Opera the most.

Chris

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

There’s a number of kids these days who have engineering type thinking who are being left behind in the modern virtual world. My youngest is one of them. These kids LOVE the physical, tactile games like pinball. When you find one, we gotta feed these kids what they need, they are our future. They’re like sponges and will devour anything like pinball.

Yes, he was just this way. He couldn't get enough of how it worked, the mechanics. He didn't want to leave, but he has an open invitation to come back. His enthusiasm was fantastic. About everything, not just pinball. He barely touched the video games, but did like the more tactile games like Marble Madness.

Chris

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Even after reading the instruction cards?

Yes. I do give him credit for trying to figure out the games on his own before asking though.

Chris

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Marble Madness how did people enjoy that game back when it came out?! It’s ridiculously brutal!! I bought my buddy a multicade and it has Marble Madness and the game really ticks me off!

LOL, I get that way too, which is why I don't play it too much. I have only gotten to the silly race one time, and I have owned the machine for 6 years. Never finished the game.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Game has zero replay value. Such a horrible game.

I respectfully disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion It's different, and I think that's why I like it. Love the music as well. I suck at the game, but still come back to it.

Chris

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider silverunicorn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-kid-that-gets-it-about-pinball?tu=silverunicorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.