P1 Door (resized).jpg
5F14E198-FC55-4FBA-BEF3-232EC374E129 (resized).jpeg
2DB546B4-9F23-48F9-AF6E-AE9091DE49ED (resized).jpeg
DF003F2C-96B3-4017-8C32-321E66B7546C (resized).jpeg
5BEED051-734A-454B-A9B7-CA8B781ADC3C (resized).jpeg
2B4DA4AC-551F-4013-AF1D-12CD886B1227 (resized).jpeg
Wired for light (resized).jpg
Minty Fresh Upper Cab (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rufessor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 5 years ago

Looks awesome. Joust is on my list but its going to have to be a restore candidate like you found. Your making excellent progress. Be sure to stop and enjoy one and a while!

As for the screws that broke and are now stuck. I have an extraction kit and you may find this to be a fairly good solution depending on how far down they broke. What I have is designed mostly for removing stripped screws where you have a bit of the head left. Clearly this is not the case for you but the principal should none the less apply.

My kit consists of the following two pieces you use in series. Step 1 is the take a drill bit with a very shallow taper and cut a cone into the top of the stripped metal. Step 2 is you basically take what amounts to a reverse threaded die and start screwing it into the depression using a power drill in reverse- when the die hits bottom the threads grab and bite the metal and you back the whole thing out.

The issue is going to be two fold- can you actually get anything to hold center on the broken shaft and cut a shallow depression. If you can figure that out your golden and just need to find a small die that matches.

Anyhow- not saying I have done this for a broken screw and it could be extremely difficult given diameter of screw and the fact that you may not be able to hold center. However- you could use an oversize bit (like 1/2 inch) and take the top 1/8 inch of wood off from the screw hole on the underside- that would hold center over the broken shaft and generate a nice cone to grab with the die- if the screw shaft is up that high if the break is down the hole you may be up a creek as you could not do this without damaging the Playfield.

Then its just a matter of filling the small neat 1/2 inch hole and sanding and repainting the underside. I suspect your going to be filling a few damaged spots and painting this anyway so it may be worth a try.

Granted drilling a 1/2 inch bit into the bottom sounds sketchy but with the right bit I really think this could work and its not going to effect anything at all- filling is trivial and you can fill with a compound that will hold the new screw even better than wood if you wanted to so no loss in integrity if this works.

Advice- break a few screws off in a 2x4 and test this method before you try it.

Else maybe someone else stops by with a wiz bang trick and we both learn something new.

Good luck and I hope this makes sense.

#57 5 years ago

Did not know about the plug extractor. Seems like a great tool- going to have to order a few sizes. I knew someone somewhere would have a solution!

Good luck

#59 5 years ago

Ordered a set bexause I knew that if I did not do so, the next time I went to unscrew a component the screw would break and Karma would screw me.

1 month later
#80 5 years ago

Looking good. This is a game I would enjoy restoring!

Can you share the zinc replating service and cost to do this for your game. I have looked around a bit and was never quite sure if I wanted to follow through with this and curious to know cost and vendor you selected.

It looks like it may have been a local shop but none the less would like to know as I believe shipping is not probably the expensive part!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersville, PA
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rufessor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-joust-restore-insert-catchy-title-here?tu=rufessor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.