Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by djblouw
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0B367E58-3218-4FE0-9D66-51942D49B40C (resized).jpeg
8CBE58F3-0989-4421-87CC-6E9F8A738F7F (resized).jpeg
29ED6D32-96D8-42CC-AF7D-E73133DA85D6 (resized).jpeg
B6285060-0304-46D7-AB22-FCB4E90790D7 (resized).jpeg
Let there be light (resized).jpg
OG Rubbers (resized).jpg
PF going back together (resized).jpg
Inside (resized).jpg
P1 Door (resized).jpg
5F14E198-FC55-4FBA-BEF3-232EC374E129 (resized).jpeg
2DB546B4-9F23-48F9-AF6E-AE9091DE49ED (resized).jpeg
DF003F2C-96B3-4017-8C32-321E66B7546C (resized).jpeg
5BEED051-734A-454B-A9B7-CA8B781ADC3C (resized).jpeg
2B4DA4AC-551F-4013-AF1D-12CD886B1227 (resized).jpeg
Wired for light (resized).jpg
Minty Fresh Upper Cab (resized).jpg

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 3 months ago

Power supply has been re-capped. Should be good for another 30 years.

5F14E198-FC55-4FBA-BEF3-232EC374E129 (resized).jpeg

#102 3 months ago

I fried my soldering station this weekend, which means I couldn't finish the solenoid harness. Oh well, it was time to step up to a Hakko anyways, so this helped push me over to actually buying one.

In the meantime, I have the lower cabinet completed, ready to mate up with the upper.

P1 Door (resized).jpg

Inside (resized).jpg

#103 3 months ago

I like it!

#104 3 months ago

New soldering station received and put to good work. The bottom side is now complete.

Moving on to re-populating the topside. I'm hoping to power it up this weekend.

PF going back together (resized).jpg

#105 3 months ago

two issues with your rubber rings

the ones behind the 3-bank drops should be in a race track configuration (around those 4 posts). the other post in the back is just there (on some machines) to keep the cross over plastics from sagging

second, the one that you have tying the two posts behind the center stand-up targets should each have their own ring. this prevents undue tension on the wood screws holding them into the playfield

other than that, it looks pretty good (why is your player one ball trough painted white & red?

#106 3 months ago
Quoted from j_m_:

two issues with your rubber rings
the ones behind the 3-bank drops should be in a race track configuration (around those 4 posts). the other post in the back is just there (on some machines) to keep the cross over plastics from sagging
second, the one that you have tying the two posts behind the center stand-up targets should each have their own ring. this prevents undue tension on the wood screws holding them into the playfield
other than that, it looks pretty good (why is your player one ball trough painted white & red?

Thanks for the corrections. I was putting back everything the way it came off, since the manual doesn't have details for this. Here's what it looked like originally.

OG Rubbers (resized).jpg

Oh, and the ball trough has some nice reflections occurring: white from the overhead lighting, red from the back of the restored Flash Gordon.

#107 3 months ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Thanks for the corrections. I was putting back everything the way it came off, since the manual doesn't have details for this. Here's what it looked like originally.
[quoted image]
Oh, and the ball trough has some nice reflections occurring: white from the overhead lighting, red from the back of the restored Flash Gordon.

And you can ignore the flippers too. They were just placed in there without being tightened.

#108 3 months ago

have fun with getting the flippers to your liking. I took off one side for all of the CPR measurements and I'll be darned if I've gotten them back to exactly the way that they were before

typically, I will use a block of wood or a straight edge so that at rest, the flipper bat follows the same line as the inlane guide

however, on joust that means that the auto launched balls would immediately drain (if not flipped with the left flipper). to counter this, I dropped the resting position of the right flipper just enough so that the launched ball hits the tip and bounces back up the left side in lane. it's not enough to affect how the shots are made, but definitely makes it a bit more fun

#109 3 months ago

Looking good. Does anyone know where to get the side marquees? Mine are extremely faded and I can't locate replacements.

#110 3 months ago

do you mean the end pieces? CPR should be offering up complete sets soon along with the playfields. we're currently tweaking the files to make a correction that we noticed when we ran the plastics 4 years ago

#111 3 months ago

Looking great.

#112 3 months ago
Quoted from j_m_:

do you mean the end pieces? CPR should be offering up complete sets soon along with the playfields. we're currently tweaking the files to make a correction that we noticed when we ran the plastics 4 years ago

yeah that's it. I'd buy a complete set just to get the end pieces, mine are in good condition but faded.

#113 3 months ago

Powered it up this weekend:

Let there be light (resized).jpg

There are some issues I need to work out. Half the switches don't work (bad PIA). Also, one of the slings want to lock on. I believe this to be a bad 7402. So, I've ordered parts and will report back when finished.

#114 3 months ago

Wow, major milestone

#115 3 months ago

Where did you get your blue kick out hole plastics? I've only seen white, red, clear, & purple.

#116 3 months ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Powered it up this weekend:
[quoted image]
There are some issues I need to work out. Half the switches don't work (bad PIA). Also, one of the slings want to lock on. I believe this to be a bad 7402. So, I've ordered parts and will report back when finished.

Just FYI, one of my slings locked on and blew a transistor and a diode on the coil. Turns out it was a leaf switch that needed cleaning and it works fine now, but it wasn't easy to troubleshoot (had help from a fellow pinhead at the Nashville show). The leaf switch had minor rust or whatever that is that coats the switch, and once it was wiped off it made contact and no more blown transistors.

#117 3 months ago
Quoted from cad-kid:

Where did you get your blue kick out hole plastics? I've only seen white, red, clear, & purple.

They are re-used from the game. I was planning on replacing (most likely with red). But they cleaned up very well, and were not chipped/broken. I added a light to them as well, just to highlight the area.

#118 3 months ago
Quoted from jake35:

Just FYI, one of my slings locked on and blew a transistor and a diode on the coil. Turns out it was a leaf switch that needed cleaning and it works fine now, but it wasn't easy to troubleshoot (had help from a fellow pinhead at the Nashville show). The leaf switch had minor rust or whatever that is that coats the switch, and once it was wiped off it made contact and no more blown transistors.

Thanks for the tip. I did check the switches first, and cut the cap & diode on them just in case. But there was not continuity in the switch, so I moved on. At one point, the opposite kicker (P2) locked on. So this leads me to the 7402. Plus, using the test rom, I was not getting the strobe to occur, until the previous pin. Hopefully I'm on the right track...

#119 3 months ago

Nice restore! Any idea where I could get a transformer for this game? Is it common to any other games I could maybe get one from?

#120 86 days ago

New 7402’s and a new pia fixed the issue.

Now the base cabinet is completed.

B6285060-0304-46D7-AB22-FCB4E90790D7 (resized).jpeg

#121 86 days ago

Install pf. And now we have Joust! What a great day.

0B367E58-3218-4FE0-9D66-51942D49B40C (resized).jpeg

29ED6D32-96D8-42CC-AF7D-E73133DA85D6 (resized).jpeg

8CBE58F3-0989-4421-87CC-6E9F8A738F7F (resized).jpeg

#122 86 days ago

Wow! It's great the side plastics light up. The whole game looks awesome!

#123 86 days ago

amazing job!

Now I will send you mine to restore

#124 85 days ago
Quoted from cad-kid:

that's the way all of them do. there are 3 bulbs behind that triangular piece of plexi
I've seen a few people dremel out the ends of the cabinets and light up the marquee pieces as well

#125 85 days ago
Quoted from cad-kid:

Thank you! I swapped out the original bulbs in the side marquee for double headed flex led's. Doing this allows the Williams logo to be lit evenly (even though it doesn't look like it in the picture)

#126 85 days ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

amazing job!
Now I will send you mine to restore

Thank you.

Sure, I'll restore yours. Now that I've done one, another shouldn't be too bad. Just bring the Viking, or Frontier, along with it for payment

1 month later
#127 32 days ago

Man, this post is awesome! I picked up a Joust about a month ago and working to get it going. I also created a Joust Pinball Owners Group on facebook. So if you use facebook and own a Joust, please join it! Trying to get as many owners of these fine machine in one place where we can discuss issue, find solutions, help drive development of parts specific to our machines, etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/JoustPinballOwners

I have a question, one of the relays under the playfield that drives one set of the banks of drop targets appears to be dead. I can't find specs on it. Says is a 'auto-type' and is pretty simple... driven through a 100ohm resistor. Do you know the specs on it? I think it's either a 24v or a 12v SPST relay.

Thanks and keep up the good work with your machine!

Rusty

#128 29 days ago
Quoted from wrkey:

Man, this post is awesome! I picked up a Joust about a month ago and working to get it going. I also created a Joust Pinball Owners Group on facebook. So if you use facebook and own a Joust, please join it! Trying to get as many owners of these fine machine in one place where we can discuss issue, find solutions, help drive development of parts specific to our machines, etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/JoustPinballOwners
I have a question, one of the relays under the playfield that drives one set of the banks of drop targets appears to be dead. I can't find specs on it. Says is a 'auto-type' and is pretty simple... driven through a 100ohm resistor. Do you know the specs on it? I think it's either a 24v or a 12v SPST relay.
Thanks and keep up the good work with your machine!
Rusty

Great news! Another Joust will be coming back to life.

I don't use facebook, so the owner's club here on pinside is my way for information.

I don't know the specs on the relay. Try asking @_j_m since he's the guy that's been able to help me a lot with my Joust.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 349.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 22.00
$ 179.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside