A great Pinball deal! ...that you just missed.

By wantdataeast

7 months ago

Stats

• 40 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 week ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4727 (resized).PNG
IMG_4726 (resized).PNG
Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 4.26.38 PM (resized).png
IMG_1942 (resized).PNG
IMG_1941 (resized).PNG
IMG_9764edit (resized).jpg
IMG_9763 (resized).PNG
19665614_1959324370748090_6585765780385590477_n (resized).jpg
00i0i_jTuSJ1ivx0A_1200x900 (resized).jpg
00o0o_fSK27rIEzNq_1200x900 (resized).jpg
00e0e_8zASVVnmNJC_1200x900 (resized).jpg
00i0i_jTuSJ1ivx0A_1200x900-1 (resized).jpg
00o0o_fSK27rIEzNq_1200x900-1 (resized).jpg
00w0w_UVwKykHHzd_1200x900-1 (resized).jpg

#1 7 months ago

It has happened to all of us. The one that got away. This thread is for those deals that we just missed. I will start the ball rolling...

Original C.L. ad:
For sale as a lot: 5 pinball games (I think), both mechanical and electronic, one Bally dime slot, one Merritt electronic poker game + some misc. items. All need repair or use for parts. $100 B.O. for the lot of them and its all or nothing. Please call (*number redacted*). No texts please. Please note that some of the cardboard boxes with unrelated "stuff" do not go with this sale. Thank you. Oh, yeah! There's a Rowe AMI 45 rpm juke box that goes with this!

Mousing Around and Space Invaders visible in the pic.

(Also, according to him he had just moved this out in the yard in the past few days. So they were not in the elements)

I was the second caller. The first caller got it all for $100

00o0o_fSK27rIEzNq_1200x900-1 (resized).jpg
00w0w_UVwKykHHzd_1200x900-1 (resized).jpg
00i0i_jTuSJ1ivx0A_1200x900-1 (resized).jpg
00e0e_8zASVVnmNJC_1200x900 (resized).jpg
00o0o_fSK27rIEzNq_1200x900 (resized).jpg
00i0i_jTuSJ1ivx0A_1200x900 (resized).jpg

#2 7 months ago

Snooze you lose!! From pics you probably didn't miss out on much.

#3 7 months ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Snooze you lose!! From pics you probably didn't miss out on much.

I refresh CL about 15 times a day. I called him moments after the ad was posted, that is far from snoozing. I was just the second caller. I think most Pinsiders would argue that a Mousing Around and Space Invaders at $50 each is great deal.

#4 7 months ago

Are we looking at the same pics poppapin? Looks like a hella great deal to me! Sorry you missed out, op

#5 7 months ago

Have you ever been on the other side of the deal? I recently was the first to respond to a seemingly great deal. Vague details on a Williams pin for $100. It turned out to be a beat EM. I paid a little less, should have been a lot less. It was the dirtiest playfield I've ever seen. I'm about 5 or 6 hours deep, no sign of getting it to work. I probably should have left it.

#6 7 months ago

Damn man, sorry to hear that! Kinda on the other side of that one at the moment. I just picked up a Mousin' Around for $165. Completely working, albeit dirty as hell. lol

Kinda get anxiety thinking about how I could have missed it if i didn't see it when i did.

19665614_1959324370748090_6585765780385590477_n (resized).jpg

#7 7 months ago

Ouch, I also missed out on a cheap Mousin' Around a while ago. Love it and wish I would've gone the far drive to get it!
When I was hustling CL hard I saw a few random few hundred dollar games. Hurts to miss out. However, I've gotten lucky more than my fair share.

#8 7 months ago

I called as well. I was ready to hook up the trailer. But they were sold.

#9 7 months ago

When I was considering joining this hobby I saw a CL add for an Expressway. Didn't look to exciting, but the owner was listing for $300, along with those words, , , "Moving, must sell"

I saw it listed for a few days and decided, what the hell, I'll go check it out. I got there, the machine turned on but wouldn't play. He couldn't even find the ball! Opened the coin door but couldn't remember how to open the glass. Again, this was before I was committed.

In hindsight, I'm certain he would have taken $100, maybe even $50. Probably wasn't that big of a fix.

#expressway

#10 7 months ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Are we looking at the same pics poppapin? Looks like a hella great deal to me! Sorry you missed out, op

You can tell from those pictures what kind of shape they're in? Besides, I could care less about the mousin pin.

#11 7 months ago

The stripped cab is a Fun Fest or Swinger.

1 week later
#12 7 months ago

Phantom of the Opera advertised at $325... How many emails do you think this guy got?

IMG_9764edit (resized).jpg

IMG_9763 (resized).PNG

#13 7 months ago

I made a deal with a guy from Craig's List that was about an hour south of me. Jumped in my van right away and hit the road south. Got to his place to see the two machines I was SUPPOSE to be picking up loaded in another guys pick-up. It wasn't that great of a deal but it really pissed me off guy told me he would hold the machines while I drove to his place then sold them to someone else.

Sometimes I hate both Craig's List & people!

#14 7 months ago

Yea, about 12 years ago I was heading up to the ski slopes and stopped on the way to check out a guy's shipping container of used pins he just received from Europe! There was a decent TAF in there, except the audio wasn't working. He offered it to me for $1,200. I hesitated because of no sound, and I didn't know any better back then. Then he jiggled the speaker wire, and it worked! Of course, I then said I'd take it!.... but, I was heading up to the slopes and I'd have to come back the next day with the cash and the proper vehicle. He agreed, we shook hands. He even proclaimed that he always honored deals with a handshake!!!

The next day I'm back, and he wouldn't answer my repeated phonecalls, voicemails or his doorbell. What a tool.
That hesitation cost me dearly, and I beat myself up for years since then and vowed never to own a TAF at market price, ha!... Until last year... I broke down and finally paid 4 times that, plus another $500 to get it really cherry. I'm quite happy now... as long as I don't talk about it too much.. LOL.

#15 7 months ago

I've missed out on a few. $500 for a Stargate, $800 for a Dr Who, Judge Dredd for $250... Probably too many to list to be honest. And now I'm just depressed thinking about those games.

But at the same time, I've got some really good deals too. So you win some, you lose some.

1 week later
#16 7 months ago

I did not even bother to call on this one... probably lasted 3 minutes.

IMG_1941 (resized).PNG

IMG_1942 (resized).PNG

#17 7 months ago
Quoted from wantdataeast:

I refresh CL about 15 times a day. I called him moments after the ad was posted, that is far from snoozing. I was just the second caller. I think most Pinsiders would argue that a Mousing Around and Space Invaders at $50 each is great deal.

If you're not getting alerts to instantly pop up on your phone, you don't really have a chance and scoring the flip deals.

#18 7 months ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

If you're not getting alerts to instantly pop up on your phone, you don't really have a chance and scoring the flip deals.

Unfortunately those instant alerts are not "instant". That same instant alert goes out to everyone else that has "pinball" flagged. It has been my experience that any insanely good deal immediately goes in to a bidding war. I have had better luck hitting and missing by checking CL constantly. My fellow pinball collectors reliance on the alert thing has gotten me my best machines.

I have found most people will honor your request to hold it for you until you arrive IF you are heading out immediately, I message them as soon as I am on the road... along the way with my ETA... and about 15 minutes out.

That "I will come by after work" stuff... does not hold you a machine very long.

#19 7 months ago

That "I will come by after work" stuff... does not hold you a machine very long.

There's still a FEW honest, ethical sellers out there. The guy I just picked up a 300 buck Future Spa from the other week let me go by after work (i.e. 7 hours after I contacted him) with the money, pick up the head, and then come back several days later....even though he said his phone was blowing up, because I was the first to ask. I'm at about a 50/50 Dickback:Honest seller ratio overall though. It's a total crapshoot. You have to risk big to win big most of the time, and a lot of times that means passing up games when Dickbags run bid wars and will not honor their own given prices.

Just this morning, I'm probably missing out on a deal...waiting on a final word, but it doesn't look good for me. For someone else....well...once I've actually lost it for sure, I'll post details. It's kind of nuts.

#20 7 months ago

Unfortunately those instant alerts are not "instant". That same instant alert goes out to everyone else that has "pinball" flagged. It has been my experience that any insanely good deal immediately goes in to a bidding war. I have had better luck hitting and missing by checking CL constantly. My fellow pinball collectors reliance on the alert thing has gotten me my best machines.
I have found most people will honor your request to hold it for you until you arrive IF you are heading out immediately, I message them as soon as I am on the road... along the way with my ETA... and about 15 minutes out.

Yeah. Good communication is key. Too many times sellers are left holding the bag with no-shows. Communicating to the seller that you are for real and will complete the transaction when you arrive helps a lot. It also means you buy the crappy parts of the pin you did not see in the pictures. I text "I'm leaving my house now. I am in anytown now. I'm one hour away"....etc. I have paypal-ed a $100 deposit as earnest money at risk with a reluctant seller to hold the machine for me.

3 weeks later
#21 6 months ago

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 4.26.38 PM (resized).png

#22 6 months ago

Oooohhhhhh. That would have been nice.

#23 6 months ago

I have missed a few here lately. Amazing how fast they are gone. Cash ready and a full tank of gas are good advice.

#24 6 months ago

I saw a white water on cl for $1500 a couple years ago.. pretty salty about that one

#25 6 months ago

Missed out on a RCT and a Junk Yard not long ago. $400 for each. I was the first person to respond to both ads but because other potential buyers can't accept that someone else is getting a good deal instead of them, they spoil it by telling the seller it's worth X amount. And then the seller backs out of our deal we had in place and had agreed upon.

#26 6 months ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Missed out on a RCT and a Junk Yard not long ago. $400 for each. I was the first person to respond to both ads but because other potential buyers can't accept that someone else is getting a good deal instead of them, they spoil it by telling the seller it's worth X amount. And then the seller backs out of our deal we had in place and had agreed upon.

Always tasty those sour grapes. I hate when people pissed in my Cheerios.

#27 6 months ago

Local ad had a Strikes n Spares with GI only for $150, next to a Future Spa which I believe only needed a cleaning for $300.

My wife was having an angry day so I didn't even bother.......

#28 6 months ago
Quoted from RonSS:

My wife was having an angry day so I didn't even bother.......

Been there brother

1 week later
#29 5 months ago

I coincidentally found this thread last night as I also found, earlier yesterday morning, an ad for "4 vintage pinball machines" only a few hours away from me. The ad had been put up only a couple of hours before. In the group there was a Flight 2000 and a Mars God of War that looked to be in good shape. There were two EM's as well, but their names escape me. Anyways, $300 ea. or $1000 for the lot. Contacted the seller, then she called me back about 5 hours later from a different phone number. I don't answer, she leaves a voicemail, says it's her and that she's not sure if the machines work ("So you're telling me there's a chance?"). Then she says to call her back. I call back not two minutes later and get the voicemail, but her inbox is full so I can't leave a message. Then I call back ten minutes later, then I call the original contact number, then I call one last time a couple of hours later. Nothing. Not a peep, no callback, no text, no nothing. Check this morning and the ad is gone. It was going to be a really scenic drive too. Pretty bummed but it's probably for the best. The last thing I need right now are more project games...

2 months later
#30 3 months ago

Thought I'd revive this as I like to share my misery

I have been trying to be a good husband and dedicate more family time with visiting relatives. As you well know, this hobby is an addiction. So of course I snuck out to check Craigslist. There it is, Sinbad left by a previous tenant, $100!

I place all the available responses, then see the dreaded timepost: listed 5 hours ago. Damn.

#31 3 months ago

a banzai run not too long ago at $400, first caller. but than another caller started an auction war and bypassed everybody offering 3 times that and got away with it.

#32 3 months ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

a banzai run not too long ago at $400, first caller. but than another caller started an auction war and bypassed everybody offering 3 times that and got away with it.

Oh man, that sucks. I hope there is mouse poop inside! He deserves it.

#33 3 months ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Sorry, I lost one to a sale turned auction. I met the offer price but was never offered a chance to play at the auction.

Pinside says a Banzai Run is on the price range of $5080.00 to $6020.00. $1200.00 sounds way undervalued unless it was complete junk. I think I would have played in at auction. At least, he would not have got it for $1200.00. I would have made him pay at least $2000.00.

2 months later
#34 10 days ago

"Attack From Mars $3000 or Best offer."

The guy told me that he sold the AFM and Wizard of Oz, and the "other" pinball machines to the first guy that called.
Someone got very lucky!

IMG_4726 (resized).PNG

IMG_4727 (resized).PNG

#35 10 days ago
Quoted from Frax:

There's still a FEW honest, ethical sellers out there. The guy I just picked up a 300 buck Future Spa from the other week let me go by after work (i.e. 7 hours after I contacted him) with the money, pick up the head, and then come back several days later....even though he said his phone was blowing up, because I was the first to ask. I'm at about a 50/50 Dickback:Honest seller ratio overall though. It's a total crapshoot. You have to risk big to win big most of the time, and a lot of times that means passing up games when Dickbags run bid wars and will not honor their own given prices.
Just this morning, I'm probably missing out on a deal...waiting on a final word, but it doesn't look good for me. For someone else....well...once I've actually lost it for sure, I'll post details. It's kind of nuts.

I wanna hear more about this

#36 9 days ago
Quoted from Pinhead306:

I wanna hear more about this

argh lol. I legitimately don't even remember at this point what it was. Think this might've been the crazy cheap Neptune that I missed on that went to our biggest local EM collector. I was cash in hand ready to drive out to Tusla or wherever the hell it was that night, and other guy 'overbid' me (no hard feelings we bro'ed it out lmao). Seller tried to get me to match it and I told him to go screw, for reasons quoted above. I don't do craigslist auctions. It apparently wasn't as nice as the pics looked (huge shock) but hey...it's still a Neptune at the end of the day, which is an awesome game and probably my favorite EM. I'll get one at some point.

#37 9 days ago
Quoted from Frax:

argh lol. I legitimately don't even remember at this point what it was. Think this might've been the crazy cheap Neptune that I missed on that went to our biggest local EM collector. I was cash in hand ready to drive out to Tusla or wherever the hell it was that night, and other guy 'overbid' me (no hard feelings we bro'ed it out lmao). Seller tried to get me to match it and I told him to go screw, for reasons quoted above. I don't do craigslist auctions. It apparently wasn't as nice as the pics looked (huge shock) but hey...it's still a Neptune at the end of the day, which is an awesome game and probably my favorite EM. I'll get one at some point.

Sorry I looked in your wishlist and you have the SS version from 1978. The EM version is Neptune is a pinball machine from 1979, manufactured by Giuliano Lodola. Didn't know if you knew there were two different ones made.

#38 9 days ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Sorry I looked in your wishlist and you have the SS version from 1978. The EM version is Neptune is a pinball machine from 1979, manufactured by Giuliano Lodola. Didn't know if you knew there were two different ones made.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1662

This is the game in my wishlist. It's certainly NOT solid state, and I have personally played 4 different examples of the game. I'm very familiar with it. It's made by Gottlieb. The reels are "digital style" same as LCD 7-segment alphanumeric displays... but it's red print on a black reel. It's not solid state *at all*.

#39 9 days ago

@frax you are correct after looking more closely they faked a electronic look to the numbers that threw me off. Slick of them to do that.

#40 9 days ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

frax you are correct after looking more closely they faked a electronic look to the numbers that threw me off. Slick of them to do that.

It's okay, I learned something I didn't know too...that company you're referring to made a version SEPARATE from the Gottlieb-produced "Poseidon", which was Neptune released for the Italian market! Colors are different and there's nudity, but it's STILL CALLED NEPTUNE!

Talk about confusing!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Maple Ridge, BC
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
$ 21.00
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 22.00
$ 15.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside