Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Inkochnito
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Can capacitors fail intermittently over time? I've got an old Bally sound board on a Xenon I'm trying to get working. After messing with it for a while, and playing the game - I started to hear a couple sounds. Then, a few more, then - everything worked! ...and would continue to work as long as I played it. If I powered it off, it would revert to no sounds...or only a few repeated sounds.

So I'm guessing I need to replace all the old capacitors (and GPE has a kit). However, before I go through that effort, I'd like some confirmation that bad or failing capacitors could cause this behavior. Can they 'sometimes' work after warming up a while?

#2 9 years ago

Yes. The amount of variance would depend on the physical composition of the capacitor. It's possible that their time constant has changed, and that they now take longer to charge.

If you have an oscilloscope, it may be useful to watch the capacitors charging from power-on

#3 9 years ago

Yes, old caps can warm up and work, or warm up and fail.

Get the kit and replace all the old electrolytic and might as well do your IC sockets, as they can exhibit the same behaviors.

#4 9 years ago

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys!!!

#5 9 years ago

A bad capacitor might not be supplying the correct voltage or amperage, which could cause some strange behavior. Also, capacitors do sometimes bulge and leak, which can make a mess and cause damage.

Capacitors can be expected to last 10 years or so. Your game is now 35 years old, as are the capacitors. It's well past time to replace them.

There are capacitor testers available which can tell you with certainty if a capacitor is bad or not, but those cost around $150-$250. New capacitors, on the other hand, only cost a few bucks.

#7 9 years ago

Yep - I'll be ordering the replacement cap kit from GPE when they open up for business Monday evening. THANKS for the help!!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Can capacitors fail intermittently over time? I've got an old Bally sound board on a Xenon I'm trying to get working. After messing with it for a while, and playing the game - I started to hear a couple sounds. Then, a few more, then - everything worked! ...and would continue to work as long as I played it. If I powered it off, it would revert to no sounds...or only a few repeated sounds.
So I'm guessing I need to replace all the old capacitors (and GPE has a kit). However, before I go through that effort, I'd like some confirmation that bad or failing capacitors could cause this behavior. Can they 'sometimes' work after warming up a while?

Sounds more like the connector, PIA, or sound generator has a flaky connection to me.

Changing caps is easier and probably needs to be done anyways, so i would start with that.

#9 9 years ago

Is there a "best practice" to de-energize caps on pinball machines? I'd hate to short something and cause more damage.

#10 9 years ago

Those old sound boards can have several problems:

1. Bad capacitors.

2. Bad solder joints.

3. Bad connectors.

4. Bad trimpots.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Is there a "best practice" to de-energize caps on pinball machines? I'd hate to short something and cause more damage.

Yes, if the electrolytic cap is rated at 16 volts or less and it's a large value (like say 2,000 uf and up) It could hold a charge. Connect a 12 volt tail light bulb (or any 12 volt bulb) across that capacitor for a few seconds and that will safely discharge it.

#12 9 years ago

Also check the 3 diode (1N4004) in series on the Vocalizer board.
Those puppy's run HOT.
Most of the time you will see the board is charred.

I had a diode gone bad because of a bad cap on the Sound Plus board.
Too much inrush current I guess...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-general-question-about-capacitors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.