(Topic ID: 332871)

A friends Big Brave having start up issues.

By lpnsocal

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by lpnsocal
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

schematic (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

So it's been a couple of years since I last worked on an EM but that's more experience than my buddy, so I elected to help him out. He does have the manual and schematic. His Big Brave gets hung up in the start up after the score reels have zero'd out and players unit has reset(I think.) Then it continually resets the target bank and Bonus Unit repeatedly. The zero switch on the Bonus Unit is closed with continuity and all the switches/targets are reset but the motor keeps turning without continuing thru the start up sequence. I've cleaned the switches on motor 4c and U relay and they all appear to be in the appropriate position and open or close when actuated. I have the PF up leaning against the head with a biz card keeping the ball trough switch closed.

I've messed around with this for a couple of hours and the only thing I've learned is Working on EM's is like a 2nd language, Use it or lose it!

Any direction/instruction would be appreciated by me and my friend!

#2 1 year ago

Page 2 of the manual has the startup sequence. Exactly how far (numbered step and sub-step) is it getting?

#3 1 year ago

Don't force the trough switch closed, that'll keep the motor running, and the player unit spinning. Close it briefly by hand when you want to simulate the ball travelling down the trough.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks for the timely replies!

Quoted from HowardR:

Page 2 of the manual has the startup sequence. Exactly how far (numbered step and sub-step) is it getting?

I'd say it makes it to/past(?) #5. and likely completely as reels are zero, tho I'll admit I did not check PB5 as it seemed player and reels are reset. That puts us at #6, which caused me to check, clean, etc motor 4c switch stack and U relay.

Quoted from DaMoib:

Don't force the trough switch closed, that'll keep the motor running, and the player unit spinning. Close it briefly by hand when you want to simulate the ball travelling down the trough.

I may have misspoke, not trough but outhole switch(where the ball would rest upon PF exit.)

#5 1 year ago

Sorry, too many buried questions, but the kids are getting up any second

Did the original symptoms (prior to the debug session) include the repetitive target resets OR did the ball just never kick over to the shooter lane after the score reels were reset?

Also, during the debug session, you have the outhole switch closed, simulating the ball sitting in the outhole continuously? If so, I'd recommend opening that switch back up.

The "Operating Instructions" (as the manual calls them) has four distinct phases and, in between these phases, the machine is quietly waiting for user input:
steps 1 thru 6 - machine reset, with the end being the control bank reset
step 7 - adding extra players (not important right now)
step 8 - dropping ball in outhole, ball 1 kickout
step 9 - the rest of the game

The key question - does the control bank reset?

#6 1 year ago

So it was an interesting morning. After I did a manual reset on the control bank the game would not reliably start with the replay button. I manually activated the "S" relay and it cycled through to kicking the ball into the trough/shooter lane and scoring could occur thru end of ball and next ball start. Problem is the relay button was not starting the game. So I checked what switches needed to be closed and found that W(red circle) was closed but with bad continuity. Blue circle switches closed by having replays on wheel and replay button is pressed. Upon cleaning switch in "W" relay and adjusting a tiny bit, machine would start reliably and finish the start sequence to ball in shooter lane. So I would say that bug is fixed, but of course with EM's the next issues present themselves in game play. Ball count, some lighting and score reel smooth and accurate advancement. Of course for another thread, if need be.

I want to thank you both again for chiming in and helping!

schematic (resized).jpgschematic (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-friends-big-brave-having-start-up-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.