Topic Stats

• 367 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by cosmokramer
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 269 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8adf0653a4c992518122308093a8f91b65ea6ca6 (resized).jpg
20180519_203233 (resized).jpg
20180519_203245 (resized).jpg
20180519_203437 (resized).jpg
20180519_203446 (resized).jpg
20180519_203223 (resized).jpg
20180519_203303 (resized).jpg
20180519_203346 (resized).jpg
20180519_203210 (resized).jpg
20180517_124237 (resized).jpg
20180517_123733 (resized).jpg
20180517_123718 (resized).jpg
20180517_121325 (resized).jpg
20180515_163157 (resized).jpg
20180407_181429 (resized).jpg
20180225_182434 (resized).jpg

There are 367 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 1 year ago

Did you have to clean the harness at all ?or was it pretty clean already ?

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from freezie:

Did you have to clean the harness at all ?or was it pretty clean already ?

It was pretty clean, just a quick wipe down was all that was needed...

20171008_082221 (resized).jpg

#53 1 year ago

After sleeping on it I think a new cab is in order for sure. This will be the first time I try building one using 3/4" MDO plywood instead of traditional birch like I have used in the past (one of many tips I picked up from Vid1900). I ordered a set of cabinet decals from Pete at Retro Refurb, delivery on these usually take a few weeks due to customs. Since the cab art and translite will be brand new and the playfield looks so good I am considering powdercoat for the legs, rails, coin door (maybe), head hinges, lock down bar and some fastners. Im not sure what color yet.

Heres a quick set of pics removing the siderails...really easy, just remove the bolt(s) then heat the glue with a heat gun and slide a putty knife between the rail and cab.

20171008_083209 (resized).jpg
20171008_083439 (resized).jpg
20171008_083903 (resized).jpg
And here is the real shame...look at the condition of the existing decals, not much fade. Pretty rare for this title. ..

20171008_084019 (resized).jpg

#54 1 year ago

I forgot to mention that before I started putting anything back on the playfield I put on some temporary rails while I cut and painted some new ones...its never a good idea to add weight to the playfield if it is unsupported..

20171008_121616 (resized).jpg
Here is some of my replacement rails after sanding, they are cut from oak. I am not sure if I will paint them black like the originals, or if I will go with the blue color from the playfield or the color of the powder coat...

20171008_114956 (resized).jpg

#55 1 year ago

Too bad the cabinet is not adequate. The original art is in exceptional condition compared to many FT out there.

#56 1 year ago

I may have changed my mind on the powder coat, only because the examples I found on line looked like ass...does anybody have any suggestions or pics of good looking powder for FT? ...the only color that might look ok is black but show me what you got...

#57 1 year ago

Please, if you do powder coat, do black. Yes all others colors looks out of place sorry. Either stainless steel or black.

Why order your decals from retro refurb as opposed to PPS? What technique do you intend to use, dry or wet?

Yes your FT is practically non faded which is super rare. This is mine, slightly different.

pasted_image (resized).png

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Please, if you do powder coat, do black. Yes all others colors looks out of place sorry. Either stainless steel or black.
Why order your decals from retro refurb as opposed to PPS? What technique do you intend to use, dry or wet?
Yes your FT is practically non faded which is super rare. This is mine, slightly different.

Most I have seen look faded like yours, that's why I hesitated to build a new cab at first, but flynnibus was correct that I would be dealing with issues popping up throughout the project.
I went with RR decals instead of PPS mostly due to Pete, he has gone above and beyond for me in the past and as a small business owner I understand the value in customer service...Ricks customer service is, shall we say, lacking...since I have used the RR product before and the quality was great I supported them again, I appreciate what they do for the hobby.
I use the dry "hinge" method that I documented here (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retro-refurb-decal-installationjohnny-needs-a-new-suit ).

I am looking forward to following along with your FT project, that Pinbot came out exceptionally well, you should be proud.

#59 1 year ago

About PPS support, I always dealt directly with Sara and was super happy with the communications. She was very helpful accommodating me with my needs and cut me some great deals. No complaint at all.

The Fish Tales and White Water decals she sent me are superb.

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I always dealt directly with Sara and was super happy

I will deal with her next time I need something from PPS, thanks for the tip.
To be fair to Rick, my friend ordered a set of plastics for Taxi recently and the resolution was very poor, and colors were off...he E mailed Rick and the crappy set was quickly replaced with a much more accurate version with no hassles.

#61 1 year ago

I was finally able to start working on the playfield again...I completed the under side after straightning out the mess I made when I dropped the harness, then began repopulating the top side...the sling plastics are just place holders, I found a NOS set in my stash of parts I will put on when the project is complete...

20171011_150156 (resized).jpg
As you can see in the above photo I am still using the temporary rails... The last few rails are cut and shaped as needed, next step is prime/paint...

20171011_152704 (resized).jpg
Got another package today, Im paying Marcos rent this month...

20171011_164239 (resized).jpg
One more before and after pic...

20171008_175038 (resized).jpg

#62 1 year ago

Wow, Is that all evaporust or some elbow grease as well?

#63 1 year ago

Great work as usual cosmo!! Keep it up !

#64 1 year ago

Hey,Cosmo,I just got a FT myself,and ,boy,your cab was sure in better shape than mine was !!!Mine was bleached all white backround!Got a new set from BAA,last they have! My suggestion for legs,and coin door,lockdown,and rails,,,Chrome! I think it lends itself to the theme,and looks good too! Im making plans to do mine now! Fun and fast,so rock the boat baby!! Already did side rail art,FF speakers,color DMD!Flawless Diamond plate PF ,already upgraded with LEDs,and my P,D.I.glass really completes this title!!

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Wow, Is that all evaporust or some elbow grease as well?

Elbow grease, as the shape of these ramps prevents dunking in evaporust. Aluminum foil and water took the rust right off.

Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Great work as usual cosmo!! Keep it up !

Thank you

Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hey,Cosmo,I just got a FT myself,and ,boy,your cab was sure in better shape than mine was !!!Mine was bleached all white backround!Got a new set from BAA,last they have! My suggestion for legs,and coin door,lockdown,and rails,,,Chrome! I think it lends itself to the theme,and looks good too! Im making plans to do mine now! Fun and fast,so rock the boat baby!! Already did side rail art,FF speakers,color DMD!Flawless Diamond plate PF ,already upgraded with LEDs,and my P,D.I.glass really completes this title!!

Yeah its a real shame this cab is no good. I found some hidden damage below the coin door...

20171008_105356 (resized).jpg
I agree that black or chrome are the only options, unless I just stick with stainless...what do you think of the FF system in this title?

#66 1 year ago

I much prefer Stainless than Chrome for this title. Chrome can easily be overwhelming imho.

#67 1 year ago

This is going to be awesome! I love fish tales, and it's going to look official with some brand new Serials!

serials (resized).png

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

This is going to be awesome! I love fish tales, and it's going to look official with some brand new Serials!

Yes, special thanks to Soulrider911 for replicating the serial tags for this project...heres the original, the new ones look perfect.

20171008_090148 (resized).jpg

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yup, Im guessing I will spend about 2600.00 total and after countless hours of labor I will have a game worth about 2600.00

That's how I feel about the SBM I'm doing. I don't plan on keeping it though so it's just a labor of love, and hate LOL

Eagerly following this thread!

#70 1 year ago

Restorations are kind of a labor of love, I'm into my terminator probably around 5k ( if I include getting scammed for 2700) bucks I love the process so to me it's worth and I don't have spect to make money if and when I sell mine. Can't wait to see the process on this thread!

#71 1 year ago

Cosmo.the FF system gives a little more depth on bass,not much on mid-tweet,but better quality sound IMHO!!!

#72 1 year ago

Labor of love for sure, I enjoy fixin' them up more than I do playing them. Luckily my wife likes to play everyday so the games get enjoyed after I finish.

I bought the wood to build the new cabinet, A sheet of 3/4" MDO and a sheet of 1/4" plywood for the bottom. I have some scrap pieces from previous projects that will be used as well. I should be starting cab construction soon.
But for now I finished the back panel and playfield rails...

20171014_125945 (resized).jpg
All the remaining parts are clean and ready to go in...

20171014_123303 (resized).jpg
Making progress but I messed up and put the boat ramp decal on before I installed the boat on the playfield...I didnt even think about needing to line it up until it was too late...

20171014_132652 (resized).jpg

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Making progress but I messed up and put the boat ramp decal on before I installed the boat on the playfield...I didn't even think about needing to line it up until it was too late...

These things happen, on my T2 I cracked the playfield... after about a week, you will get over it. it will play every bit as good as one with a straight decal, it just adds character. Looking great!

#74 1 year ago

1/4" seems too thin for the bottom panel. How thick was the original?

#75 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeO:

1/4" seems too thin for the bottom panel. How thick was the original?

I was thinking the same thing, I used 1/4" on an older Bally cab a few years back and it was correct. I checked with Vid1900 a was told that 1/4 ply is correct for a WPC cab also...
I cant check the FT cab because someone had replaced the bottom already with 1/2" particle board, but I am going to look at my WH20 cab today to figure out what the correct size is... if the 1/4" is to thin then I do have some 3/8" ply I can use.

EDIT: I checked my WH20 cab and it is indeed thicker (looks to be 1/2")

#76 1 year ago

Hey cosmokramer something just occurred to me u may be able to (very carefully) use a heat gun to peel off and re apply that ramp decal

#77 1 year ago

Hey cosmokramer something just occurred to me u may be able to (very carefully) use a heat gun to peel off and re apply that ramp decal

Im going to give that a try, if not I think the decal was under $10...

Heres how the playfield sits today, top and bottom fully populated...it seems I am missing a few playfield plastics on the left side, I will try to locate them without buying a complete set. Im just waiting for LEDs from comet, and those missing plastics then the playfield will be done. Then I just need to finish the back panel and I will be able to focus on the cab and head.

20171015_202242 (resized).jpg

#79 1 year ago

Looking good. Did you flame polished the boat ramps?

#80 1 year ago

Looking Awesome!

#81 1 year ago

impressively fast

#82 1 year ago

Great progress Cosmo !!

#83 1 year ago

After a few days away from this project I was able to spend a bit of time on it this morning, mostly just getting some tools in order and prepping for the cabinet build.
And yet another package from marco, I really suck at getting together a COMPLETE parts list when I do a job like this....So not only am I paying marcos rent but I am pulling USPS out of debt as well...

20171019_150505 (resized).jpg
I took this project over to my fathers shop, he helped me with my Pinbot restoration and loves to build stuff...you can see him under the table, he is 77 and healthier than most people I know...

20171021_085847 (resized).jpg
My plan is to build a router table to tackle the locking miter joints for the cab. Using a piece of heavy angle as an adjustable fence and bolting the router under the table....

20171021_084545 (resized).jpg

Notched the angle for the router bit and cut some slots and made some collars so it slides easy...not real pretty but whatever...

20171021_094818 (resized).jpg
20171021_084037 (resized).jpg
20171021_085926 (resized).jpg
20171021_094823 (resized).jpg

Made a few test runs on some 3/4" ply...I need to make some adjustments, I think Im trying to remove too much in one pass, I will set it up to make each cut in 3 passes...here is my first attempt...the profile is close, but I need a better result before I move on...more adjusting and testing coming...

20171021_101026 (resized).jpg

20171021_110950 (resized).jpg

That joint should look more like this...

Screenshot_20171021-115124 (resized).png

#84 1 year ago

I used a 1 1/8" spade bit before to drill flipper button holes but was unhappy with the results. Of course it does not matter because no one sees it but in the end I wanted something to cut a cleaner hole for flipper buttons (1 1/8") and the start button (1 3/8") so this time am using a forstner bit... here is a quick test hole, nice and clean. ..

20171021_101217 (resized).jpg

20171021_101207 (resized).jpg

#85 1 year ago

I'm quite jealous of your workspace, amazing!

#86 1 year ago

I'm quite jealous of your workspace, amazing!

Thank you, but this is at my dads place...all my shop stuff is is storage as I am moving in a few months so I make do at his place for now. The good news when I get my stuff set up in my new shop I will have over 1,000 square feet for just pinball restoration, including a small spray booth, I cant wait...

#87 1 year ago

where did you find a non faded cabinet fishtale
you have all my support for your RIP storation

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from stef34:

where did you find a non faded cabinet fishtale
you have all my support for your RIP storation

1st page on this thread

#89 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thank you, but this is at my dads place...all my shop stuff is is storage as I am moving in a few months so I make do at his place for now. The good news when I get my stuff set up in my new shop I will have over 1,000 square feet for just pinball restoration, including a small spray booth, I cant wait...

Wow!!! That is awesome

#90 1 year ago

Closer but still need to adjust the bit height...

Resized_20171021_141439 (resized).jpeg

#91 1 year ago

Wow, doing these corner cuts looks like hell. Keep it up man. I admire your dedication.

#92 1 year ago

If you get this cabinet building thing down, you could build me a system 9 cabinet for my Socerer . It came from the same batch of machines your Fishtails came from..

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

If you get this cabinet building thing down, you could build me a system 9 cabinet for my Socerer . It came from the same batch of machines your Fishtails came from..

You would be amazed at how many people have messaged me asking If I will build them a cab.... I have not said no yet, just want to see how much labor will be involved.
I heard you were at the MoP last weekend, thanks for helping out. Are you planning on coming back to prep for Arcade Expo?

Got decals from RR...

20171022_092515 (resized).jpg
And getting pretty close on the miter joint. I dont have any experience in joinery so the learning process is lengthy...

20171022_090349 (resized).jpg
Another test fit with some scraps...still a bit off...

Resized_20171022_142240 (resized).jpeg

#94 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I heard you were at the MoP last weekend, thanks for helping out. Are you planning on coming back to prep for Arcade Expo?
Got decals from RR...

i could not fit going down to MoP this weekend, but if there is another tech weekend before March, I may be able come help out.

#95 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Authors note: This is a documentation on how to buy a project pin, put in an enormous amount of time and money sourcing parts, then spend endless hours of labor.....just to have a pin that you could have bought for the same amount of cash, minus all the headache and work involved.

Are we the same person!?

#96 1 year ago

Spent a few minutes this evening taking care of a few minor steps... got the new back panel wired, cleaned the plastic and put on the rails...

20171022_183303 (resized).jpg
20171022_183435 (resized).jpg
The topper had a wire broken off the coil, it was re attatched, and the front just needed to be cleaned up...

20171022_183734 (resized).jpg

20171022_185203 (resized).jpg

#97 1 year ago

Looking great! Did u make a stencil and use a router to build the new back panel?

#98 1 year ago

Looking good Cosmo, I can't wait to see the new cab when its done

#99 1 year ago

Looking great! Did u make a stencil and use a router to build the new back panel?

No, just traced it to the new plywood and cut it out with a jigsaw. A router was used just to make the slot for the pins on the lightboard.

Im pretty happy with the resolution of the decals that Pete sent me, not perfect but pretty good, I have not had a chance to compare the cab colors but you can see that the head decals match pretty well The originals are ever so slightly faded, but the comparison is close...the reds and yellows look spot on, its just the blue that is a shade lighter but overall I am pleased...

20171023_122931 (resized).jpg

#100 1 year ago

Nice comparisons, thanks. Makes me want to take out my BAA's and verify these colors.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 21.00
There are 367 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside