(Topic ID: 238463)

A final review before delivery..your help required!

By Looney

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Looney
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So I'm getting pretty excited. My first pinball machine (Dr. Who) has been refurbished and is ready for delivery. Im going to their shop Saturday to give it a once-over and wanted to ask the forum for a checklist of sorts. What details should I give close scrutiny to? I'm a novice pinballer but pretty astute with computers and such. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Congrats. Test every single switch and coil with them. (There are diagnostics/tests they can run off the machine)Make sure they fix any issues you find. If they say don’t worry it’s an easy fix, then get them to do it for you.

I’d also recommend playing a bunch of games on it to see if anything else is out of whack but it almost needs to be levelled before you can do that not sure if they would entertain that.

#3 5 years ago

Look over hard to clean areas. Are they clean or dirty. Look at the boards in the head, do they look new, or serviced with the right tools or parts, or do the boards look hacked or battery damage on cpu ?

If you can, bring a friend that knows pinball with for another opinion.

Don't get caught up in having to drag that first game home no matter what. Make your first pinball machine a great experience. You'll be glad you did.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Congrats. Test every single switch and coil with them. (There are diagnostics/tests they can run off the machine)Make sure they fix any issues you find. If they say don’t worry it’s an easy fix, then get them to do it for you.
I’d also recommend playing a bunch of games on it to see if anything else is out of whack but it almost needs to be levelled before you can do that not sure if they would entertain that.

Great, make them run through the diagnostic first. Good advice. The last time I checked in on it it was giving a missing ball error message. I know the elevator on this machine can be wonky. Thanks!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Look over hard to clean areas. Are they clean or dirty. Look at the boards in the head, do they look new, or serviced with the right tools or parts, or do the boards look hacked or battery damage on cpu ?
If you can, bring a friend that knows pinball with for another opinion.
Don't get caught up in having to drag that first game home no matter what. Make your first pinball machine a great experience. You'll be glad you did.

Good stuff. I was going to make them open it up and check everything out (with my mini led flashlight). The machine was on a route so looking in the hard to clean areas is another good idea. Thanks!

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

Good stuff. I was going to make them open it up and check everything out (with my mini led flashlight).

I feel their pain already

#7 5 years ago

Make sure the pf moves smoothly up and down through all 3 positions.

Make sure the upper flipper can cleanly shoot the ramp.

Make sure all 5 dalek armor targets / optos are working.

Make sure the display is crisp and clear, no missing lines or columns, no degassing in progress.

Make sure the boards have no weird hacks.

Make sure there is no corrosion damage to the mpu. Even slight corrosion can make the mpu break down.

Make sure battery holder is removed from mpu and either placed remotely, or replaced with nvram.

Do a switch test to make sure all switches activate correctly, and a solenoid test too.

Play some games and hit both flippers at the same time a bunch to test for the Williams reset issue, if the game has it then the power board will need new caps, rectifiers, and lm323. If the game has a little daughter board between the power board and you, then it probably has the issue but it's being corrected by the daughter board. In that case it will need a power board restore soon.

Warning. Keep hands away from mini play field.

Congrats, awesome game, a long term keeper!

#8 5 years ago

Aside from checking all switches (lots of optos), flashers you want to make sure the Mini-Playfield is working well. Also, the trapdoor off the left side of the big ramp. WPC games have issues with resets and there's well documented repairs for that.

Mini-Playfield: lots to go wrong with that. In test, you should be able to drive it up and down. All the mushroom buttons work. Dalek Flaps engage and release (inside the chutes of the MPF). Cracked plastic dome on the MPF. Locks/lock ejects.

Playfield: Slings, playfield wear on ball drop, playfield wear coming out of the mini-playfield. Does it have lightning flippers or regular 3" bats (stock is lightning flips).

Ramps: Especially the front edge of the right ramp. Who-Mobile covers.

Topper: Plastic dome over the top and mini-Dalek in the dome w/eye stalk. These are unobtainum and rarely are on the market. Possibly there s a moving Dalek motor in the topper. Test 15 will allow you to put it through the paces.

Cab: the ink fades, especially the red.

faz

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Make sure the pf moves smoothly up and down through all 3 positions.
Make sure the upper flipper can cleanly shoot the ramp.
Make sure all 5 dalek armor targets / optos are working.
Make sure the display is crisp and clear, no missing lines or columns, no degassing in progress.
Make sure the boards have no weird hacks.
Make sure there is no corrosion damage to the mpu. Even slight corrosion can make the mpu break down.
Make sure battery holder is removed from mpu and either placed remotely, or replaced with nvram.
Do a switch test to make sure all switches activate correctly, and a solenoid test too.
Play some games and hit both flippers at the same time a bunch to test for the Williams reset issue, if the game has it then the power board will need new caps, rectifiers, and lm323. If the game has a little daughter board between the power board and you, then it probably has the issue but it's being corrected by the daughter board. In that case it will need a power board restore soon.
Warning. Keep hands away from mini play field.
Congrats, awesome game, a long term keeper!

Sorry for a pedestrian question, but What would a board with hacks look like compared to an original?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

but What would a board with hacks look like compared to an original?

Burn marks, solder blobs, jumper wires glomed on. Bent components, wires soldered to board instead of on a connector, two or more connectors on one spot where there should be only one connector. etc. etc.

#11 5 years ago

Yeah the cab has been repaired but the side decals are faded. The Dalek topper seems to be intact, and the mini pf is working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-final-review-before-deliveryyour-help-required and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.