• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190124_170922 (resized).png
smcode (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

So, I have three issues with my 2007 Spider-Man. Two have been since I had the machine that don't seem to affect play and one popped up recently that affects play.

1) The one affecting play - I'm having intermittent issues with my Spider-man not sensing ball drains. Initially, I had issues with the ball not kicking out appropriately initially and it turned out to be due to a cracked weld in the trough ejector deflection thing (not sure the technical term). I replaced that (thanks pinballlife!) and it fixed the problem completely. I had no more issues for like 1.5 weeks. Now, every 20 or so balls, it will miss a ball draining. This has caused me to miss ball saves a few times when I expected them as the machine didn't even know it drained. It will typically just sit there like a ball is in play for a bit, then do the ball finding game, find it in the trough and then count it as a drain.

2) It won't display the High Score #3. No idea why. The others display fine and I've had no other display issues. Whenever it comes time to display the 3rd highest score, the screen just shows blank and then skips to High Score #4.

3) I'll intermittently get a switch alert for the "lower L 10-point" switch being out of service. Again, I'm super new at this, (this is my first pin, bought before xmas), but I can't find anything in the manual referring to the "lower l 10-point" switch at all.

Thanks a bunch for your time and help! You guys/gals are awesome!

#2 5 years ago

The 10 point switch is behind the angled rubber near green goblin.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Joniano:

So, I have three issues with my 2007 #spiderman. Two have been since I had the machine that don't seem to affect play and one popped up recently that affects play.
1) The one affecting play - I'm having intermittent issues with my Spider-man not sensing ball drains. Initially, I had issues with the ball not kicking out appropriately initially and it turned out to be due to a cracked weld in the trough ejector deflection thing (not sure the technical term). I replaced that (thanks pinballlife!) and it fixed the problem completely. I had no more issues for like 1.5 weeks. Now, every 20 or so balls, it will miss a ball draining. This has caused me to miss ball saves a few times when I expected them as the machine didn't even know it drained. It will typically just sit there like a ball is in play for a bit, then do the ball finding game, find it in the trough and then count it as a drain.
2) It won't display the High Score #3. No idea why. The others display fine and I've had no other display issues. Whenever it comes time to display the 3rd highest score, the screen just shows blank and then skips to High Score #4.
3) I'll intermittently get a switch alert for the "lower L 10-point" switch being out of service. Again, I'm super new at this, (this is my first pin, bought before xmas), but I can't find anything in the manual referring to the "lower l 10-point" switch at all.
Thanks a bunch for your time and help! You guys/gals are awesome!

For the high score problem, Which version of code do you have in the game?

For the ball draining problem, go into switch test and see if the trough switches are seeing the balls.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Joniano:

It's on page 56 in the VE manual, switch 14. Also on page 14 (switch matrix) and 15 (diagram of switch locations). Your 2007 should have the same information but could be on different pages. If you want to download the vault edition manual, Stern has it on their website.
The switch alert comes up if the switch hasn't been hit in a while. If it works in switch test but reappears after 'a while' there is probably nothing wrong with it.

Installing the latest code (or re-installing) will probably fix your high score issue. Good luck finding it. IPDB doesn't have it. Stern recently redid their website and the archive doesn't have the original Spider-Man on it. The VE code would probably work but it's got different call-outs and animations.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It's on page 56 in the VE manual, switch 14. Also on page 14 (switch matrix) and 15 (diagram of switch locations). Your 2007 should have the same information but could be on different pages. If you want to download the vault edition manual, Stern has it on their website.
The switch alert comes up if the switch hasn't been hit in a while. If it works in switch test but reappears after 'a while' there is probably nothing wrong with it.
Installing the latest code (or re-installing) will probably fix your high score issue. Good luck finding it. IPDB doesn't have it. Stern recently redid their website and the archive doesn't have the original Spider-Man on it. The VE code would probably work but it's got different call-outs and animations.

This should be the SM code:

https://sternpinball.com/support/game-code/

smcode (resized).JPGsmcode (resized).JPG
#6 5 years ago

Awesome. Thanks all. Code is version 2.61, so looks to be updated. I'll reinstall to see if that fixes the high score issue.

Checking the switches by cycling balls through the trough, they all seem to be activate. In looking at the trough while I was doing that though, I noticed that the balls seem to be getting hung up in the trough and not sliding down. Maybe they get stuck and don't let the drained ball down until the system gives it a little shimmy-shake when it's looking for balls? So, should I just wax the crap out of it or something?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Joniano:

I noticed that the balls seem to be getting hung up in the trough and not sliding down. Maybe they get stuck and don't let the drained ball down until the system gives it a little shimmy-shake when it's looking for balls? So, should I just wax the crap out of it or something?

The balls could be magnetized. Try swapping them out with new balls to see if it fixes the problem. If that doesn't help, you may have a divot in the trough that is causing the hangups. If this is the case, you will need to sand it down with a Dremel or some other similar tool.

#8 5 years ago

For the high score issue, maybe just try resetting the high score table first? Under Resets in the Service Menu. See if that has an effect before reloading the game code. Also, the VE code probably won't work in the original 2007 game because of the VE S.A.M. board's larger memory size. That was the case with Iron Man, pretty sure it applies to SM also. You'll need the 2007 code if you go that route.

#9 5 years ago

Gweempose, you're on it! I've had issues with magnetized balls, actually went through two different batches (one on amazon, one on ebay) and both carbon steel and all have issues with magnetization. I'm sure that's it. Pinballlife doesn't have any balls available until April, so do any of you have any other good sources?

I got the code from Stern for the original spider-man (like mine), so I'll try to reset high scores and if that doesn't work then I'll reinstall code and update the post.

-Chris

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Joniano:

Gweempose, you're on it! I've had issues with magnetized balls, actually went through two different batches (one on amazon, one on ebay) and both carbon steel and all have issues with magnetization. I'm sure that's it. Pinballlife doesn't have any balls available until April, so do any of you have any other good sources?

Carbon steel is generally the best choice for games with magnets. They can become magnetized, but they are much less susceptible than chrome balls. These are the ones I currently have in my Spider-Man ...

https://ballbaron.com/product/pinball-carbon/

In my games without magnets, I use these ...

https://ballbaron.com/product/ninja-super-shiny-chrome-pinball-g10/

#11 5 years ago

I'll second Ball Baron. They have probably the best looking/performing carbon steels available. Less than a buck apiece.

#12 5 years ago

If resetting the high scores doesn't work, I'm wondering about removing the CPU board's button-cell backup battery with the game off, waiting a half-hour and then reinstalling? That's been known to solve a few SPIKE system issues, no idea about a SAM board or if that's even a good idea to do on that board (anyone else?)

If you re-install game code, keep in mind all your game adjustments revert back to factory settings. Meaning you'll need to re-enable free play, adjust game volume, etc.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Joniano:

So, I have three issues with my 2007 #spiderman. Two have been since I had the machine that don't seem to affect play and one popped up recently that affects play.

If the game is randomly ending balls in play sometimes, check the ball trough opto. One side has 2 prong connector, the other has 3. Usually it's the 2 prong side that becomes loose and intermittent as a result. Take that connector off, bend the two prongs slightly further apart, then put the connector back on

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from SonicZone:

, I'm wondering about removing the CPU board's button-cell backup battery with the game off, waiting a half-hour and then reinstalling?

Given your comment below regarding re-installing game code, could you explain the purpose of the battery and what you think might happen by leaving it out for a bit?

Quoted from SonicZone:

you re-install game code, keep in mind all your game adjustments revert back to factory settings. Meaning you'll need to re-enable free play, adjust game volume, etc.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Given your comment below regarding re-installing game code, could you explain the purpose of the battery and what you think might happen by leaving it out for a bit?

It should let any corrupted CMOS data (possibly affecting H/S's) held by that battery when the game's powered off "die out."

There's a recent thread here somewhere about where temporary battery removal instantly fixed a SPIKE pin that wouldn't take ANY code updates, I forget which game. A similar [non-update related] case or two with Bally/Williams WPC as well.

That's where the idea's from -- a possible quicker alternative to a complete code re-flash.

And, of course, there's always the factory reset in the menu (that would've been my other suggestion) . . .

#16 5 years ago

So, I tried all of the solutions for the high score 3 issue. Removing the battery didn't work and neither did resetting to factory default or reupdating the code. Still a blank screen for high score 3. Grand champion, 1, 2 and 4 appear normal. Any other ideas?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Joniano:

So, I tried all of the solutions for the high score 3 issue. Removing the battery didn't work and neither did resetting to factory default or reupdating the code. Still a blank screen for high score 3. Grand champion, 1, 2 and 4 appear normal. Any other ideas?

Can you take some video of the sequence? Also, does it skip it when you manually advance the attract mode with the flippers (forward AND backwards)?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Joniano:

Contact Stern. Their customer service is excellent, and they may have a solution.

#19 5 years ago

Make sure the chips are fully inserted in the sockets on the board.

Also, it could help us help you if you post a video of the display as it cycles through the scores.

#20 5 years ago

Sorry about the quality, but you should get the gist. That's me going back and forth on the flipper buttons at startup.

20190124_170922 (resized).png20190124_170922 (resized).png
#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Joniano:

Sorry about the quality, but you should get the gist. That's me going back and forth on the flipper buttons at startup.
[quoted image]

You need to upload the video on a site like youtube or vimeo.

#22 5 years ago

It appears you have a ColorDMD. Could this problem be something related to that?

I just sent Dmod a PM to see what he thinks.

#23 5 years ago

My bad. Here's a YouTube video. Seems like it'd be more related to the machine than the dmd since display works great for everything else.

#24 5 years ago

I just remembered something, SM requires a newer version of ColorDMD than the original versions of the system. I don't know if yours would be working at all if it did not have the required version, but I just thought I would bring it up in case.

Check to see if your ColorDMD has the REV 1.3B ColorDMD controller board.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-40-along-came-a-spider

#25 5 years ago

HIGH SCORE 3 not showing up was due to a bug in an early version of the CHROMA bootloader that caused one sector of data of the color ROM to not be installed properly. Please send an email to [email protected] and we can provide an update.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Joniano:

My bad. Here's a YouTube video. Seems like it'd be more related to the machine than the dmd since display works great for everything else.

Glad you posted the video so we knew it was a ColorDMD and not a factory DMD. Definitely a colorDMD issue.

#27 5 years ago

Awesome! Email sent as requested!

#28 5 years ago

A shout-out and some up votes to DCFAN , who called it way back in post 22 before any video was posted. Good eye and memory!

#29 5 years ago

...and fixed! Email to Dmod had be set up straight away. Super easy update via USB and I'm in business with a High Score 3!

Now awaiting balls from Ball Baron to see if it solves my trough issue. Then, hopefully back to set some new high scores. Love this game.

-Chris

4 years later
#30 5 months ago

I'm just getting Locating Pinballs when I hit start on my SM 2007 pin. I did a trough coil test and it was fine, found and ejected a ball. I tried to install a new shaker motor and this started right afterwards.
Any ideas? Should I try new balls. Thanks in advance.

#31 5 months ago
Quoted from PatriotsFan:

I'm just getting Locating Pinballs when I hit start on my SM 2007 pin. I did a trough coil test and it was fine, found and ejected a ball. I tried to install a new shaker motor and this started right afterwards.
Any ideas? Should I try new balls. Thanks in advance.

Does it show all the balls in the trough on screen? Remove all the balls, then set up the trough test and drop one ball in the trough at a time and make sure all positions register.

Also, have you changed the batteries? Leaking batteries in the backbox can really mess up a circuit board and I think the switch matrix chips are the area below that could be damaged, which would cause weird behavior like you describe.

#32 5 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Does it show all the balls in the trough on screen? Remove all the balls, then set up the trough test and drop one ball in the trough at a time and make sure all positions register.
Also, have you changed the batteries? Leaking batteries in the backbox can really mess up a circuit board and I think the switch matrix chips are the area below that could be damaged, which would cause weird behavior like you describe.

I agree with Pinmonk:

Ball test is your friend here. It's common to have the optos that check if a ball is stacked to have bad connections, this should be obvious in ball test if you wiggle the wires with no balls. It's also common for the black microswitches to need adjustment.

This is a Stern pinball, and the battery won't be a concern. It really, really, really would be a concern if this was a 90's model from Williams Bally. (grins).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-few-spider-man-issues-from-a-newbie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.