image.jpg
20150117_ARCEX_web.jpg
EBD Early Production.png
The Box.png
Bunch o Ramps.png
Beware I Live.png
Fix it Felix Jr.png
Torch EGWA.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

but I'd love to see Big Dick in person.

Are you just trying to set yourself up for a joke?

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Apparently! But I was serious.

But seriously, I thought it was nothing more than a Backglass swap to a Williams Big Deal? Which looks like a pretty boring game.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I just saw that they have added a lot of things to the "schedule" section of the website. Some musical acts, times for tournaments, etc. This is really shaping up to be an awesome expo!
http://www.arcadeexpo.com/event-schedule/

I certainly hope the "Main Stage" is no where near the pinballs or even in the same room. There will be enough noise to contend with as it is.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Image (auto-loading disabled)Image (auto-loading disabled)Image (auto-loading disabled)Image (auto-loading disabled)

A G Socccer Ball.png 521 KB

Sterns.png 618 KB

Grand Lizard Starlight.png 660 KB

Viking 1980.png 523 KB

Please make sure the Viking is working by Showtime!
Rob the parts out of Fireball II if you have to!!!!

1 week later
#230 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So maybe this should be a separate thread, but I'm curious what people think about solving the free play issue. On EMs it's easy, jump a switch and you're in business for the most part. Newer games have free play in the ROM, done.
But what about the early solid states that have no option? Setting the replay low was a good idea, but it's imperfect. Are there tricks or hacks for easy ways to either trick the machine or add credits from the outside? The techs were great, but flagging someone down to add credits isn't a great solution, and I think probably confused some people.
The vids had the same issue. I wanted to play Spy Hunter, but it was out of coins. Dunno if there's a free play option or not in the ROM for that one.

One of the simplest approaches, while not the most elegant, is a simple small push button switch hanging out the coin return. This is how many manufacturers have done it over the years at industry coin op events. It would be extremely time consuming to install "custom" credit switches on the video games. And, if they are actuated by the coin return, the general public may not know what to do on each game. But its a fairly easy and quick task to pre-make the pushbutton-heatshrink-and wire credit buttons and add them to the coin switches. Not only is a free play option missing from many older video games but in some cases, they don't even hold credits (or more than 1 past coin drop). If the start button is using an older leaf style switch, instead of a micro switch pushbutton, a second leaf switch could be stacked under the start button but causes problems if its a 1 player, 2 player start button game.

The problem with some of the older SS games was they had bad (or no) batteries and lost their settings following them being set up Friday night after the show. The problem with the Free Play Rom solution is it might be very time consuming if the MPU boards are not already modified to run 2732's instead of the original mask roms. This would require pulling each MPU board, re-jumper as well as install replacement EPROMs.

Regardless, a plan needs to be put together and then the time and cost taken to implement it.

#273 9 years ago

Leave it to Steve to capture the Awesomeness of a Totally Awesome Show!

#302 9 years ago

What's the old saying? "When life gives you lemons, make Lemonade!"

I totally understand and shared the disappointment to find so many (many, many EMs) not operable. Fortunately, I was fairly local (OC) so it wasn't a huge expense to show up Friday night and find games I was looking forward to play unavailable. Titles I was really looking forward to play were off, and ones that were on weren't always playing to my standards either.

But, after seeing what the future potential was and could be, and seeing the immediate need for action, myself, along with 3 others (Pete, John, and Ethan - thank you!) received our Red "helper" T-Shirts and showed up early Saturday morning and worked through the day getting some more EMs functional. Along with freeing stuck balls, adding credits etc.

Our biggest dilemma was: Where do we start?

More often then not, when attending shows, I find myself spending most of my time socializing with other Pinheads instead of playing games. I happen to also love working on games. Probably as much, if not more than actually playing them. So, for me, the time spent at the first AE was a Blast!

For the time being, I don't think anyone should expect a collection of 550 pins to play like those out of a 10 game home arcade collection. Getting games fully functional and playable should be the first goal. Fine tuning and souping them up can come later.

I am just happy to see that the overall consensus was a positive one and that we have October to look forward to!!! Again, Thanks to John, Kenny, and all the crew making any of this even possible. And right here in our own Backyard!

#305 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It occurs to me that even if you have no tech skills it would probably be really helpful to have volunteers just work their way down a row of games and fill out a form for each one with any issues. Save the techs a ton of time if there was a pre-filled problem list.

With as many games to be dealt with, this old school approach is probably the best plan of attack. Now that the facility is basically closed (I can only assume) to the general public, each game can have its own sheet that either contains all the awaiting service issues, or an indication of a clean bill of health which will save time so others can pass it by. Items such as burned out lights and sticky flippers can be handled by those comfortable with such tasks, again, saving the hard core repairs for the better equipped.

As was noted, there is even a great need for people to take the time to level and even re-pitch the games for better play. No one likes even a fully shopped game, that leans to the side, or the ball just floats around getting stuck on a roll over or sunken insert. The problem is not that the games will be moved, or the floor badly un-level. Its the simple fact that they had to install around 2200 legs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 7.50
Cabinet - Decals
J and D Arcade

$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 209.00
$ 5,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersville, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-few-reasons-to-go-to-arcade-expo-in-so-cal?tu=cactusjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.