image.jpg
20150117_ARCEX_web.jpg
EBD Early Production.png
The Box.png
Bunch o Ramps.png
Beware I Live.png
Fix it Felix Jr.png
Torch EGWA.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I thought of those, but Zingy Bingy and Big dick are super rare. having seen some rarities posted it wouldn't surprise me though. Maybe they will have the sexy girl with the Ipad in the playfield like they did at PAGG last year.

I've played Zingy Bingy, but I'd love to see Big Dick in person.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Are you just trying to set yourself up for a joke?

Apparently! But I was serious.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

But seriously, I thought it was nothing more than a Backglass swap to a Williams Big Deal? Which looks like a pretty boring game.

Oh I'm sure the game is no big deal, I just think it's funny.

#82 9 years ago

I mentioned this in the other arcade Expo thread already, but figured I would mention it here too. I will be there early Friday at opening and bringing Pinside Id badges for anyone that wants one so we can meet each other and say hi. They are of course free, nicely laminated and I will have lanyards.

I'll be there Saturday, would totally rock that, thanks for doing it!

#94 9 years ago

You are actually the first person on my list. All taken care of.

Hmm, I may have to rethink this, any list that has dug on it first is highly suspect!

#122 9 years ago

Sweet, thanks for the pics Mike! Stoked to be there tomorrow.

#126 9 years ago

I'll be there in a few hours. I'll look for my badge (thanks practicalsteve!) but if you see a skinny white guy in a grey shirt with SDTM in the AC/DC font say hi.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Hah, I'm right behind you in the world record line.

Should have said hi!

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

My world record attempt game... LIONMAN!!

image-665.jpg 191 KB

I snagged some wiiidebody SCORPION action

image.jpgimage.jpg

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwillie:

Is the new wrastling game there

No, Stern wouldn't allow it.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

How was attendance today? Crowded?

Yeah was well attended.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Great show to say the least. I hope they plan on doing this at least twice a year.

That's the plan I think, I heard around Halloween for next time.

Rob I saw you a couple times but didn't manage to stop and say hi, so next time!

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

You were having a lengthy conversation with two people and the line started to move. Figured I would see you later that day but never did. I hung out in the em section and arcade area until later in the night because the crowds for the newer Sterns and A list Williams were too long. My fingers are still numb from all the games I played yesterday.

Just bullshitting with Art and Amanda, you wouldn't have been interrupting. No worries though.

Any time someone spots me at a show feel free to stop me, I go to these events to see people more than play games.

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I purchased a weekend pass but did not stay beyond 7pm on Friday (largely due to frustration). I traveled with a friend who also felt the same way. Saturday morning, we did not return and instead drove to Vegas (and the PHOF).

It's too bad you didn't come back, because from what I heard Friday was a rough start and way more machines were working on Saturday.

I think bottom line is this is a collection that's just going to get better over time. A lot of people were busting ass hard to get the games up and working, but it was a tough deadline to meet. Now that the next show isn't until October I'm hoping there will be time to get more of the games really functioning.

For me the biggest issue was the lack of free play options. The older solid states without free play ROM options especially. They set the replays super low, but the games were still running out of credits. Need a better solution to keep them running.

All in all though I'd say it was super successful for a first time, and I'm looking forward to seeing it grow.

#186 9 years ago

First, I just posted this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-pics-from-banning-arcade-expo-want-them-published-online

I'm looking for people willing to share photos with me for a news story I'm doing to get Arcade Expo some more press. Check it out if you're up for that.

Secondly, big shout out to all the people, especially my friends, who've been busting ass FOR FREE to get all those games set up. You guys are rockstars. Special props to NimblePin and rvdv, two of our own, you guys rule.

And can't forget Dan for running the tournament and losing your voice in the process, Kenny, of course John, it was f**king incredible.

Yes, some machines were broken or not perfect. Yes, the Free Play thing needs a little more thought. But that will come. People were seriously hustling to get ready for this date. Like up to the wire. And it was a success. Next time I bet it will be even better! More time to figure things out, shop out games, get the polish on the place.

I for one hope this is only the start, and it becomes a bi-annual fixture in SoCal, I will keep coming as long as you keep doing it! Big thanks to everyone involved.

Quoted from Acejedi:

I really enjoyed hanging with a old friends and chatting it up, good to see Gaspumprob, Art and Amanda and a others, as well as meeting Aurich and having a great conversation with him and Keith and Kelly on Saturday afternoon.

Was a pleasure to chat with you man, hope to see you at the next show.

#204 9 years ago

Holy shit you were there Vid!?? Now I am kicking myself! I saw you wearing that shirt and meant to introduce myself multiple times but you were always chatting with someone and I hate to interupt. Damn, its like I was in a room with Verbal Kint and didnt realize it was Keyzer Sose!

I dunno if Vid was there or not, but that's not him in the photo wearing the Pinside shirt. That's Mike, local player and nice guy, I play in league with him.

#211 9 years ago
Quoted from genex:

most of the games there for Arcade Expo are part of the permanent collection but not all. I talked to one guy (Robert) who had brought some awesome obscure machines to PAGG (Flash Dragon!), and he had a bunch in the foreign section. But I think like 90%+ are part of the permanent collection of MoP.

Robert = rvdv here on Pinside. And he has a great collection of foreign funky games, what he specializes in. Super generous with sharing them too, you've probably seen his games at PAGG. I know he worked really hard to help get Arcade Expo going, everyone owes him a big thank you.

#224 9 years ago

So maybe this should be a separate thread, but I'm curious what people think about solving the free play issue. On EMs it's easy, jump a switch and you're in business for the most part. Newer games have free play in the ROM, done.

But what about the early solid states that have no option? Setting the replay low was a good idea, but it's imperfect. Are there tricks or hacks for easy ways to either trick the machine or add credits from the outside? The techs were great, but flagging someone down to add credits isn't a great solution, and I think probably confused some people.

The vids had the same issue. I wanted to play Spy Hunter, but it was out of coins. Dunno if there's a free play option or not in the ROM for that one.

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

I love that cooler, btw. All weekend I saw kids using it wrong! Can you believe that??

Okay, I didn't look at it very closely the first time, now I feel dumb.

Quoted from rcarlson:

You can always install a switch on the start button that will credit the machine right before it starts. This can also be done on most arcade games as well.

That sounds like a simple solution, I can't think of any real downsides.

#240 9 years ago

Hate to say it, but girlloveswaffles reminded me of the one big disappointment I had. Joust. Only available in the tournament. The number one rare game I was most looking to seeing. Even though I asked super nicely twice I was told no. I didn't enter the tournament as I had to leave sunday morning, and paying a 20$ entry fee to play one game seemed silly. Super bummed about that.

Aww, you should have told me, I would have distracted Dan with talking about wrestling while you snuck by him and played!

#242 9 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

(BTW, you put one to many L's in my name. It's GIR-loves-waffles)

You just blew my mind.

#251 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

At the Ann Arbor pin museum we just set the first replay to 10,000 points. That way everyone wins at least one credit. As long as the day starts with credits, they don't run out.

They did that at Arcade Expo too, but it's apparently not a bullet proof solution, lots of games were out of credits.

#267 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

(Saturday at Banning got pretty crazy full.)

You think? I honestly never thought there were too many people. It's such a huge space with so many games though. As long as the number of machines working grows with the popularity I don't forsee any problems.

#289 9 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Now for the AE pledge!
I pledge to continue to volunteer my time/$$$/spare parts, so that AE gets all 550+ machines running smoothly come October...and if CosmoKramer or any other Pinsiders want to help out throughout the year, it will be greatly welcomed/appreciated.

The community is a better place because of people like you and Robert man, thanks for all your work and effort.

The show kicked all kinds of ass. I'll be honest, I was expecting it to be more broken than it was. I knew the challenges ahead of this one, and I was surprised it ran as smoothly as it did. Real testament to all the people helping out.

Just think of it as a platform to build upon, it's only going to get better. And if you really want it to improve support it. If you don't have time/skills to go out and be a tech for a day then at least give props to the people who do, and go back for the next event, and spread the word!

#300 9 years ago

Those red pinball tech shirts were way sexy, no need for topless techs!

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I appreciate the invitation. When it comes time to plan for Banning/2016 I will gladly send a list of a few (1980-1982) games that I hope will be set up for the show. I look forward to it!
-mof

No need to wait until 2016, next show is supposedly in October this year.

And NimblePin, I don't know much about 1980 Bally games, but if I can help get the Medusa and Fathom back into shape I'm down, I was really loving that whole row of games.

Not sure what the issues with Fathom are, it was off but then I realized it was just a stuck ball in a funny spot, got jammed right before draining, the wire there is such that it's super tight and the ball can get caught between it and the apron. Some nudging freed it and it seemed to play okay, but then I saw it was off again later.

Medusa was phantom tilting, did it once even on ball plunge. Made it pretty unplayable, but it seemed to be working otherwise, so hopefully just some short in the tilt mech.

It occurs to me that even if you have no tech skills it would probably be really helpful to have volunteers just work their way down a row of games and fill out a form for each one with any issues. Save the techs a ton of time if there was a pre-filled problem list.

#304 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

More often then not, when attending shows, I find myself spending most of my time socializing with other Pinheads instead of playing games.

Haha, so true, I honestly didn't even play that much. Loved seeing all the games, but socializing was the best. Sorry I didn't see you man, but thanks for putting in some tech love on Sat!

1 year later
#341 7 years ago
Quoted from Neuromancer87:

With all respect, I think it is such a travesty that the Banning facility is only open once a year. In my opinion, this "museum" does about as much to promote the knowledge and history of pinball as Willy Wonka's Factory does for the knowledge of chocolate making.

They don't have the permitting to be open more than that. It's also expensive to be open more often. Costs money for the electricity, for the people staffing it. The best thing people can do it show up for the events and support the facility.

#342 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I have reached out a few times to managment but so far no response.

Who have you tried to talk to? John? Kenny? I haven't seen either in a bit, but next time I do I'll ask what's up, I'm curious myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Cabinet - Decals
J and D Arcade

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Myers, FL
$ 5,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-few-reasons-to-go-to-arcade-expo-in-so-cal?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.