Topic Stats

• 346 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by girloveswaffles
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 145 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0327_(resized).jpg
IMG_20150117_214642996[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_214638293[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_151008127[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_145738247[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_144108060[1].jpg
Zzzzzzzz.jpg
heeeynow.jpg
image.jpg
20150117_ARCEX_web.jpg
EBD Early Production.png
The Box.png
Bunch o Ramps.png
Beware I Live.png
Fix it Felix Jr.png
Torch EGWA.png

There are 346 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 4 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I didn't go I was loading the truck and trailer with car parts for the Pomona Swap Meet.
Did pretty good on Sunday, made almost a grand and got rid of a bunch of stuff I didn't need.

Nice!

Quoted from RobT:

When did you try to play Abra Cadabra? I played it early Saturday afternoon. It was very nice.

Arghhhh! I tried a few different times, oh well, not a huge deal.

#202 4 years ago

I know that myself, and several other pinsiders who live in So Cal. would be happy to help get the machines ready for October... I'm no technical wizard, but I can do basic troubleshooting,repairs (which is all most of the ss and dmd games needed) and cleanings...Hopefully this would free up some of the techs who are more skilled in EM repair to focus on those games that need much more knowledge and time...

I live in Riverside...if any pinsiders from LA, San Diego or Orange County want to help, we can meet up at my place and carpool the rest of the way to banning with a bunch of tools and supplies...I will contact John and see if he would like our help......PM me if you can help, lets make the Oct show the best show of the year.

#203 4 years ago

I would also like to thank practicalsteve for the ID badges, it is a great idea and was very helpful...well done!

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Holy shit you were there Vid!?? Now I am kicking myself! I saw you wearing that shirt and meant to introduce myself multiple times but you were always chatting with someone and I hate to interupt. Damn, its like I was in a room with Verbal Kint and didnt realize it was Keyzer Sose!

I dunno if Vid was there or not, but that's not him in the photo wearing the Pinside shirt. That's Mike, local player and nice guy, I play in league with him.

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Also at Banning they really need an onsite (in the building) repair shop with a complete parts department.

Maybe everyone could donate all their extra parts (clearly labeled please!) to the cause?

Especially flipper parts.....

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Is the new Museum of Pinball now open to the general public? Are most of the games that were brought in for this Guinness World Record event now staying on site permanently?

most of the games there for Arcade Expo are part of the permanent collection but not all. I talked to one guy (Robert) who had brought some awesome obscure machines to PAGG (Flash Dragon!), and he had a bunch in the foreign section. But I think like 90%+ are part of the permanent collection of MoP.

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I know that myself, and several other pinsiders who live in So Cal. would be happy to help get the machines ready for October... I'm no technical wizard, but I can do basic troubleshooting,repairs (which is all most of the ss and dmd games needed) and cleanings...Hopefully this would free up some of the techs who are more skilled in EM repair to focus on those games that need much more knowledge and time...
I live in Riverside...if any pinsiders from LA, San Diego or Orange County want to help, we can meet up at my place and carpool the rest of the way to banning with a bunch of tools and supplies...I will contact John and see if he would like our help......PM me if you can help, lets make the Oct show the best show of the year.

They had been asking for volunteers for the last 3+ months to help come and get the games ready - weekends - weekdays - whenever you could make it basically...

Most of us have day jobs and could only make it on weekends...

All of the games have been rubbered and lightly cleaned - the hard part is getting the games working 100%

John has most common coils and a lot of other parts on hand

#209 4 years ago

Holy shit you were there Vid!?? Now I am kicking myself! I saw you wearing that shirt and meant to introduce myself multiple times but you were always chatting with someone and I hate to interupt. Damn, its like I was in a room with Verbal Kint and didnt realize it was Keyzer Sose!

No, I've been laid up with that flu that has been eviscerating the East.

Amadeus sent me the pic of he and Sam at the show to cheer me up.

#THANKYOUWORTHLESS$40FLUSHOT

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

At PPE I leveled and pitched a whole row only to have another volunteer come along and screw them all up again.
I was told I didn't know how to do it properly, you could look down the row and see they were all out of level.

I SO wanted to do this at TPF last year, but I felt weird leveling someone's machine without their permission. One in particular that I can remember was a nice Tri-Zone that played like the cabinet was just sitting on the floor.

After setting mine up at Expo I had the glass off and the digital level on the playfield and was crawling under adjusting leg levelers and someone came up to me and said, "Wow, you take this seriously."

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from genex:

most of the games there for Arcade Expo are part of the permanent collection but not all. I talked to one guy (Robert) who had brought some awesome obscure machines to PAGG (Flash Dragon!), and he had a bunch in the foreign section. But I think like 90%+ are part of the permanent collection of MoP.

Robert = rvdv here on Pinside. And he has a great collection of foreign funky games, what he specializes in. Super generous with sharing them too, you've probably seen his games at PAGG. I know he worked really hard to help get Arcade Expo going, everyone owes him a big thank you.

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd say it worked....you paid for the shot, you got the flu

Seriously though, this strain's a bitch, but I hope you get over it soon Vid.

#213 4 years ago
Quoted from genex:

Thanks. I've been staying in the area a lot lately and was looking forward to visiting MoP. I didn't go this weekend due to the large crowd, because I've been recovering from a lingering sinus infection. (Yay, penicillin!)

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

They had been asking for volunteers for the last 3+ months to help come and get the games ready - weekends - weekdays - whenever you could make it basically...
Most of us have day jobs and could only make it on weekends...
All of the games have been rubbered and lightly cleaned - the hard part is getting the games working 100%
John has most common coils and a lot of other parts on hand

Ha! Yes! They asked for help forever and now that it's a success everyone wants a piece Nice to see some voluntaristic spirit regardless.

I think the thing I found most shocking about the weekend was how little complaining there was about the number of games that were off. That was a LOT of games off, and you know how harsh people on here are about games in need of repair....it was actually pretty excellent to see such an overall good attitude from the crowd about it. Naturally there were a couple ol' tightwads standing there hemming and hawing about how much better their 3 home games and home shows are and all this, but the uptight complainer folks were a staggeringly low % of the crowd at large. People took note of the vastness of the space, the rebuild, the # of titles, the crazy vision...really very few people seemed hung up about some work-in-progress tables on the floor.

The amount of work money and time put into that space is truly insane, I love it! The past couple weeks leading up to the show saw so much development and progress that it made my head spin; honestly two weeks ago I had a real uh-oh vibe. But all the hard work came together beautifully, and it's just so impressive., great work John! And Kenny, RVDV. And all of you who put on that show. I for one had an absolute blast and can't wait to see what these guys do next though I'm a little scared that there's going to be a mile long line to get in next time.

If anyone has pics of me sitting on Sam's lap listening to dirty jokes, send 'em my way!

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I would also like to thank practicalsteve for the ID badges, it is a great idea and was very helpful...well done!

You're welcome, wish I had met you!

Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno if Vid was there or not, but that's not him in the photo wearing the Pinside shirt. That's Mike, local player and nice guy, I play in league with him.

Ahhh I see, the great mystery of Vid lives on!

Quoted from vid1900:

No, I've been laid up with that flu that has been eviscerating the East.
Amadeus sent me the pic of he and Sam at the show to cheer me up.

Someday I will met you, someday. Get well soon.

#216 4 years ago

I second what Curtis said. Plus, we all know it will only get better. I want to believe that anyone who has spent any time at all trying to maintain or troubleshoot their small home collection would know better than to criticize this first time out for these machines. It ain't easy folks but, like I said, it will only get better! My suggestion, if anyone cares, would be a small, monthly "shakedown" weekend where a small group of knowledgeable pinpeople are invited to "test" the games and the repair progress with post its in hand one night and tools in hand the next day. Shampoo rinse and repeat until they're all working as they should be.

Oh, and Curtis, Amanda has a great pic of you and Sam! And she's probably thankful that he was telling YOU the dirty jokes instead of HER this time! I'll let you know when the world can find it on Flickr

#217 4 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

BTW Roger Sharp filled us in on the Dutch Pinball progress and things are looking good!

Please spill what you know.

#218 4 years ago

Oh, and practicalsteve, thanks for the badge. I wore it all day on Saturday and met some fun pinsiders as a result. I asked around for you and everyone said "oh, I *Just* saw him" or "I *just* played a game with him" Maybe next time, buddy.
Thank you for the extra effort.
Cheers,
Art.

#219 4 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Oh, and practicalsteve, thanks for the badge. I wore it all day on Saturday and met some fun pinsiders as a result. I asked around for you and everyone said "oh, I *Just* saw him" or "I *just* played a game with him" Maybe next time, buddy.
Thank you for the extra effort.
Cheers,
Art.

Bummer! You were high on the list of people I wanted to meet. Next time for sure!

#220 4 years ago

Anyone find and grab the stickers I made and left laying around everywhere?

#221 4 years ago

Anyone find and grab the stickers I made and left laying around everywhere?

Was this the Patty J sticker? I did find one of those!

#222 4 years ago

I was amazed at the lack of complaints too about off/broken games. Friday is was about 50%. But again the stuff people want to play was largely working well. Also the mass total number of games still left about 250 working on Friday. Things got better Saturday but the positives just far out weigh the negatives. It was hard to find fault. It was the most fun I've had at a show in a long tine. That facility is awesome.

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

I second what Curtis said. Plus, we all know it will only get better. I want to believe that anyone who has spent any time at all trying to maintain or troubleshoot their small home collection would know better than to criticize this first time out for these machines. It ain't easy folks but, like I said, it will only get better! My suggestion, if anyone cares, would be a small, monthly "shakedown" weekend where a small group of knowledgeable pinpeople are invited to "test" the games and the repair progress with post its in hand one night and tools in hand the next day. Shampoo rinse and repeat until they're all working as they should be.
Oh, and Curtis, Amanda has a great pic of you and Sam! And she's probably thankful that he was telling YOU the dirty jokes instead of HER this time! I'll let you know when the world can find it on Flickr

Shakedown! I'll bring the cooler

image.jpg

#224 4 years ago

So maybe this should be a separate thread, but I'm curious what people think about solving the free play issue. On EMs it's easy, jump a switch and you're in business for the most part. Newer games have free play in the ROM, done.

But what about the early solid states that have no option? Setting the replay low was a good idea, but it's imperfect. Are there tricks or hacks for easy ways to either trick the machine or add credits from the outside? The techs were great, but flagging someone down to add credits isn't a great solution, and I think probably confused some people.

The vids had the same issue. I wanted to play Spy Hunter, but it was out of coins. Dunno if there's a free play option or not in the ROM for that one.

#225 4 years ago

Ha! I was going to write "with BEER and post its in hand one night and BEER and tools in hand the next day" but I didn't want y'all to think I was beer operated. Then again, I just saw Amanda's pics and I *was* wearing a circus liquor shirt on Saturday, so maybe I *am* beer operated...

I love that cooler, btw. All weekend I saw kids using it wrong! Can you believe that??

#226 4 years ago

On the games that do not offer free play or an easy hack (as in the case of Gottlieb)
You can always install a switch on the start button that will credit the machine right before it starts. This can also be done on most arcade games as well.

#227 4 years ago

Here's my take on the show: Overall it was very well organized. It seemed like they had been doing this for years. Thank you to John and all the others who put this together! Met some great folks from Pinside and also met Nate and Theresa from Coast2coast pinball (podcast). They were very nice. My wife and I had a blast. There were a lot of machines, pins and vids that were either turned off or broken. I didn't expect that. But with the number of machines vs number of people there was always a great game available to walk up to and play. Really enjoyed playing Mustang and The walking dead-thanks to Marco for bringing these. I'm a corvette guy so playing Mustang was hard to do. But it was really fun! Wife wants one now...crap. Again, overall a great show! Hope to see many of you again at CAX and PAGG this year!

Mike

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

I love that cooler, btw. All weekend I saw kids using it wrong! Can you believe that??

Okay, I didn't look at it very closely the first time, now I feel dumb.

Quoted from rcarlson:

You can always install a switch on the start button that will credit the machine right before it starts. This can also be done on most arcade games as well.

That sounds like a simple solution, I can't think of any real downsides.

#229 4 years ago

Here's a link to Amanda's pics from the weekend.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80566079@N04/sets/72157650364178222/

Mine are mostly serious close up shots of playfields and backglasses that I needed artwork for so I'll let her pics describe the weekend.

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So maybe this should be a separate thread, but I'm curious what people think about solving the free play issue. On EMs it's easy, jump a switch and you're in business for the most part. Newer games have free play in the ROM, done.
But what about the early solid states that have no option? Setting the replay low was a good idea, but it's imperfect. Are there tricks or hacks for easy ways to either trick the machine or add credits from the outside? The techs were great, but flagging someone down to add credits isn't a great solution, and I think probably confused some people.
The vids had the same issue. I wanted to play Spy Hunter, but it was out of coins. Dunno if there's a free play option or not in the ROM for that one.

One of the simplest approaches, while not the most elegant, is a simple small push button switch hanging out the coin return. This is how many manufacturers have done it over the years at industry coin op events. It would be extremely time consuming to install "custom" credit switches on the video games. And, if they are actuated by the coin return, the general public may not know what to do on each game. But its a fairly easy and quick task to pre-make the pushbutton-heatshrink-and wire credit buttons and add them to the coin switches. Not only is a free play option missing from many older video games but in some cases, they don't even hold credits (or more than 1 past coin drop). If the start button is using an older leaf style switch, instead of a micro switch pushbutton, a second leaf switch could be stacked under the start button but causes problems if its a 1 player, 2 player start button game.

The problem with some of the older SS games was they had bad (or no) batteries and lost their settings following them being set up Friday night after the show. The problem with the Free Play Rom solution is it might be very time consuming if the MPU boards are not already modified to run 2732's instead of the original mask roms. This would require pulling each MPU board, re-jumper as well as install replacement EPROMs.

Regardless, a plan needs to be put together and then the time and cost taken to implement it.

#231 4 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Here's a link to Amanda's pics from the weekend.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/80566079@N04/sets/72157650364178222/
Mine are mostly serious close up shots of playfields and backglasses that I needed artwork for so I'll let her pics describe the weekend.

Great pictures!

#233 4 years ago
Quoted from cireone:

Was this the Patty J sticker? I did find one of those!

Yep! If anyone that wanted one couldn't find one for whatever reason, pm me and I will get you one.

#234 4 years ago

Yep. I met Sam last year at CAX. Great guy. Very passionate about pinball for sure.

Mike

#235 4 years ago

I'll tell you what, for a first year effort, this sounds like it was an amazing show! I know they'll learn from what went on this year, what went wrong, what went right, and make next year an event that can't be missed. Although, Molly's prediction about the line to get in might come true as well.

#236 4 years ago

Thank you everyone that came and supported Arcade Expo

B7gg5aQCQAABMLg.jpg

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think Williams was about the only manufacturer in the early days that you could set their games to free play (set max credits to zero) , and it was only on system 4 thru 9. Bally, stern and Gottlieb, you can't, and I don't know about Atari or some of the foreign manufacturers. Even worse, on some of the earliest Gottlieb SS pins, the maximum credits are 15.

#238 4 years ago

Crazy Climber.png
Joust pin.png
Qix HS.png
Yeah, I remember when there was an East German Women's track team:
Torch.png
It's like she almost doesn't have a neck!
Torch EGWA.png

#239 4 years ago

Hate to say it, but girlloveswaffles reminded me of the one big disappointment I had. Joust. Only available in the tournament. The number one rare game I was most looking forward to seeing and playing. Even though I asked super nicely twice I was told no. I didn't enter the tournament as I had to leave sunday morning, and paying a 20$ entry fee to play one game seemed silly. Super bummed about that.

#240 4 years ago

Hate to say it, but girlloveswaffles reminded me of the one big disappointment I had. Joust. Only available in the tournament. The number one rare game I was most looking to seeing. Even though I asked super nicely twice I was told no. I didn't enter the tournament as I had to leave sunday morning, and paying a 20$ entry fee to play one game seemed silly. Super bummed about that.

Aww, you should have told me, I would have distracted Dan with talking about wrestling while you snuck by him and played!

#241 4 years ago

Hate to say it, but girlloveswaffles reminded me of the one big disappointment I had. Joust. Only available in the tournament. The number one rare game I was most looking forward to seeing and playing. Even though I asked super nicely twice I was told no. I didn't enter the tournament as I had to leave sunday morning, and paying a 20$ entry fee to play one game seemed silly. Super bummed about that.

They really should have used machines they had (working) duplicates of for the tournaments. I was lucky to get that picture and some video (that I'll post later) of Joust. I barely got a chance to play Eclipse as well.

(BTW, you put one to many L's in my name. It's GIR-loves-waffles)

#242 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

You just blew my mind.

#243 4 years ago

I very much enjoyed playing heavy metal meltdown, and I thought the sound and music was perfect for the theme and playfield...I would love to get one but it seems as the music would begin to get irritating quickly...

Quoted from practicalsteve:Hate to say it, but girlloveswaffles reminded me of the one big disappointment I had. Joust. Only available in the tournament. The number one rare game I was most looking forward to seeing and playing. Even though I asked super nicely twice I was told no. I didn't enter the tournament as I had to leave sunday morning, and paying a 20$ entry fee to play one game seemed silly. Super bummed about that.

as soon as the tournament ended on Sunday it was available for play...It played great...next time you go there it should be available...

wow...I have always read the name as "girl loves waffles" as well...and always had a image in my head of a thick girl when I read your posts...

#244 4 years ago

#245 4 years ago

Whoops! Like the others I too thought you were a girl that loves waffles this whole time!

Quoted from cosmokramer:

as soon as the tournament ended on Sunday it was available for play...It played great...next time you go there it should be available...

I figured that would happen, had to leave early Sunday. Oh well next time. When I say it was my one big disappointment, it really wasn't that big.

#246 4 years ago

Whoops! Like the others I too thought you were a girl that loves waffles this whole time!

It's a reference to Invader Zim (and one specific episode).

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

As others had mentioned add an external credit button. Easy fix with a sign to push it when needed. Maybe the best option.

Rob

#248 4 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

As others had mentioned add an external credit button. Easy fix with a sign to push it when needed. Maybe the best option.

Rob

I think you just add a switch to the start button right? The Mata Hari I had for a while came to me like that.

#249 4 years ago

At the Ann Arbor pin museum we just set the first replay to 10,000 points. That way everyone wins at least one credit. As long as the day starts with credits, they don't run out.

#250 4 years ago

This show was fantastic and even the little details where thought of which makes it one of the best overall all around pinball shows I've ever been to. Too much excellent things to mention them all. Looking forward to going back again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
There are 346 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside