• 31 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Kevlar
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Got an RFM this week and have a few questions;

1) do owners normally take out any lamps at the top of the playfield apart from the inlane rollover lamps? Any lighting behind the reflected image detracts from the effect IMO.

2) is the video amplifier that's available to boost picture quality worth it? Does it make the black blacker? Mine looks like the following video where you can clearly see the shape of the monitor as it's grey not black ( and yes I've tried adjusting brightness and contrast );

As opposed to the following vid where the effect is far more convincing because the monitor seems invisible;

3) there's some static noise in the audio on my machine, googling it I've read that this is due to some cables being bound tightly together and can be eliminated by cutting the ties and spreading the wires out! but which bundle of wires are they talking about?

4) the game software is version 1.1 so it's well out of date. Trouble is I don't have a PC with a serial port, is there any other way to update it? Can it be done via some kind of usb to serial interface?

That's all I can think of for now although I'm sure I have more questions.

Any advice appreciated.

Kev

#2 10 years ago

Welcome to the club. Here are a few quick answers.

1.) Not that I've heard. I've never found it to be necessary. Perhaps because...
2.) It's absolutely worth it and will indeed improve your blacks. (You can tweak the brightness/contrast much more effectively once it is in place.)
4.) Yes, you can buy a usb to serial adapter and a null modem cable. Getting the old update software to work with whatever version of windows you are using well enough to recognize the usb/serial port can be tricky, so your mileage may vary.

#3 10 years ago

I believe Rob Anthony offers a Pub Card rental service which is by far the easiest way to update your machine if you don't have an older computer setup to do it via serial.

http://www.lockwhenlit.com/products.htm

It does take a hefty deposit, but after all is said and done it's $30 to rent the card.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far. Being in the uk renting the pub card is probably not viable. So have owners successfully updated via a usb to serial adapter?

2 more questions;

5) the center ramp dips into the playfield on mine meaning when it's down a ball passing over it deviates from its normal path. I can't see any way to adjust this, the steel ramp lifter is well below the ramp flap and is angled anyway to adjusting its position won't help. Seems to me a design issue because the ramp flap is very thin with no support except right at the front so will dip into the playfield hole over time. Have owners found a solution to this? Is it just a matter of physically bending it back to flat every now and then?

6) there is light leaking around the monitor from the translite tube, can this gap be filled with foam or something without causing any problems?

#5 10 years ago

You can buy replacement ramp flaps. I think they are fairly cheap.

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-RFM01-15141

I haven't tried the update via usb to serial, but have done it via serial. I do believe others have done it with a usb to serial adapter successfully though.

You can probably fill the gaps in with something. Whatever you use I would suggest isn't permanent, as at some point you may need to replace the aging monitor with an LCD or something like others have done.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Thanks for the replies so far. Being in the uk renting the pub card is probably not viable. So have owners successfully updated via a usb to serial adapter?
2 more questions;
5) the center ramp dips into the playfield on mine meaning when it's down a ball passing over it deviates from its normal path. I can't see any way to adjust this, the steel ramp lifter is well below the ramp flap and is angled anyway to adjusting its position won't help. Seems to me a design issue because the ramp flap is very thin with no support except right at the front so will dip into the playfield hole over time. Have owners found a solution to this? Is it just a matter of physically bending it back to flat every now and then?
6) there is light leaking around the monitor from the translite tube, can this gap be filled with foam or something without causing any problems?

I can answer number 6.......
Mine had the same issue. I laid a black mask from an arcade monitor around it and problem was solved. I assume mine sat like that due to it having a kortek monitor in it (originals were wg or ducscan (excuse spelling)). Video amp is amazing btw. I just put it into my machine!

#7 10 years ago

With #6 I had lots of light leaking through around the TV. I just placed some thick foam that i got from home depot that had adhesive on one side around the TV and it blocked out all the light. Looks so much better.

I do need to get the VGA amplifier and try that out.

#8 10 years ago

I will get some foam then and fill the gap with it. I've ordered the video amplifier. Is the dipping ramp flap common then?

#9 10 years ago

you can purchase a pub card from pinball spare parts australia for about $70 (sell it on ebay after you're done and you'll probably re-coup just about all of your initial investment

you'll need a drill to remove the rivets on the original skip ramp flap and a rivet press to properly rivet the new flap in place. be sure to order a pair of 1/8" diameter x 1/8" nickel plated rivets (link for reference)
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/07-6688-16N

be sure to note the orientation of the original ramp flap where it's attached to the bracket. the flap itself should be concave when rests so that the edges seat nice and tight against the playfield when it is in the "down" position.

the nice part is that removing just 2 bolts from underneath the playfield, frees the ramp flap and the bracket completely.

there is a stainless version of the ramp flap, however since it is silver in color (and not black anodized like the original), I would avoid it.

if you don't have a way to replace the flap yourself, I have a couple of extras and the associated brackets. I would be more than willing to work out a deal where I send you new set (already riveted) and you send me your original with the damaged flap

#10 10 years ago

Thanks JM for the kind offer but are you saying that a new flap is concave? That's the only problem I've been doubting about mine, it isn't flat but dips into the hole slightly thus affecting ball movement.

#11 10 years ago

my mistake, I should have stated convex. it should be applied so that from an angle it appears like this:

ramp flap -> ( | <- playfield

there is a subtle bend in the spring steel that is used for the ramp flap so that the edges of the ramp flap meet the playfield and the center of the ramp has a slight arc between them (which would keep a ball from resting on the ramp)

if you'd like, I can take a few photos of the new one that I just did for my machine (my original ramp had 'cuts' on both the left and right edges, approximately at the midway point of the ramp (probably from taking hits from pinballs [especially during multi-ball])

#12 10 years ago

Thanks JM, yeah a photo would be good. I'll see if I can source a flap locally (UK) first, I'm sure I can sort out the riveting.

Does anyone have any experience of the audio static problem I mentioned?

#13 10 years ago

I remember reading something in the part description about a defective cable causing audio static

see link below:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=781

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Thanks JM, yeah a photo would be good. I'll see if I can source a flap locally (UK) first, I'm sure I can sort out the riveting.
Does anyone have any experience of the audio static problem I mentioned?

I would be interested in a answer to the audio also. I just picked up a Star Wars episode 1 with a clean bright CRT still installed - my subtle static seems to coincide with the image on the screen - meaning when the screen is displaying images of characters, the static is gone, but when the screen rolls through animations, the static comes back, coinciding with the animation.... I'm thinking its the CRT....loose yoke or something???

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

1) do owners normally take out any lamps at the top of the playfield apart from the inlane rollover lamps? And lighting behind the reflected image detracts from the effect IMO.

I didn't remove any bulbs, but I did change to mostly red LEDs on lamps behind the screen projection which for me balances the ability to see the ball behind the screen while minimizing inteference with the projected image. YMMV

#16 10 years ago

I just found this - not sure we can link to external sites so did a copy & paste with my Iphone.

Static Sound Disturbance (German:Knistern):
(M.Wiest, Tom Uban)

A lot of Pinball2000 owners have problem with static sounds disturbing the pinball 2000 great sound, especially in gameover mode. Tom Uban and Martin Wiest finally found the solution for it. Read the infos below:

From Tom Uban:

Hi, Well it is interesting that your removal of the cable tie on the cable helped out the problem. The reason for the static (I am told) is that there is cross talk in the signals driving the amplifier from the PRISM. While there was an early change to add the inline resistors on some of the signals, it appears that all of the boards I have seen (and which you describe) have the resistor change. I guess that the change was made fairly early and that very few of the old version PRISM boards made it into the field. The second change (which I significantly easier to make) which affects the static problem is to cut all of the tie-wraps on the PRISM-amplifier cable and let the wires separate. This reduces the cross talk and thus the static. I did this on my RFM, which was having the static problem, and it has mostly gone away. Give it a try... --tom

From Martin Wiest:
Hello Tom.

BINGO ! I removed all the cable ties of that cable in my Ep1 and all statics are dissapeared!! Great success. Thanks a lot for your help. Martin

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Got an RFM this week and have a few questions;
1) do owners normally take out any lamps at the top of the playfield apart from the inlane rollover lamps? And lighting behind the reflected image detracts from the effect IMO.

No - the GI back there turns off during most modes & only lights up when the ball is back there.

#18 10 years ago

Mountaingamer, which cable is that though? Is it in the PC box?

#19 10 years ago

Sorted the flap out, just needed a bit of manipulation of the bracket it's riveted to, it was pulling the flap down into the hole so I just bent it slightly so it wasn't.

#20 10 years ago

Fixed the audio crackle. For anyone else who didn't know the cable that needs spreading out to eliminate the crackle is the cable in the PC box that runs from the prism card to the audio card. Spreading the wires has got rid of 95% of the crackle I had. The worst was easily during the ' in memory of ' dedication when in attract mode, followed by the ' mars kneads women ' mode. The crackle is completely gone during these 2 scenes now, I can't believe something so simple could cause such a problem and that it made it out of the factory like that.

#21 10 years ago

I just fitted the ultimarc vga amplifier and have to say I'm disappointed. The main problem with the image on my monitor is the black is grey so you can always see that the image is from a monitor like the first video in my original post. It's still the same after fitting the amp, playing with the brightness and contrast I just can't turn the brightness low enough to make the black blacker. I see there are a few pots on the neck board of my WG monitor that are hard to get to, will playing with these help?

#22 10 years ago

Did the VGA amplifier help the content portion of the video look better, brighter? I have played with the board that comes with the montior, I don't remember as to your particular issue since I haven't noticed too bad of a problem with dark blacks.

#23 10 years ago

It did boost the brightness of the image but made it blurry too, I turned the contrast down basically to get the image back to where it was before in sharpness. I don't think it looks any better than before.

#24 10 years ago

Kevlar:
which monitor do you have in your RFM? and did you remove the resistor for the red gun?

#25 10 years ago

For blurry, focus is on the flyback fyi. Right above G2. You must balance G2, picture and brightness for good black levels. G2 is probably too high with the amp in fyi.

#26 10 years ago

Also a quick note on blurry. I had the playfield glass upside down and had lots of blurry (doubling of characters), I know they have a coating on it and apparently, one side up is better. Try it it a couple different orientations, even flipped over.

#27 10 years ago

JM, I have the WG monitor.

Cougtv, " fly back" ? Is that the little board actually mounted on the end of the tube?

Gimpmaster, my glass is labeled " this way up " so it's hard to put it in the wrong way.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I have a bigger problem atm as my PC has suddenly become unstable and crashes randomly in game.

#28 10 years ago

Fly back transformer is the large transformer that puts out the high voltage to the tube. It has the anode lead going directly into the tube. There are two controls on the back of the transformer. The top is focus and the bottom is G2. Both needed adjustment after the amp. The top control on most is focus and the bottom is G2 (screen intensity for all basic purposes). Contrast/picture, brightness and G2 all work together for picture brightness / black level. I repair TVs for a living so that aspect is kind of my specialty.

#29 10 years ago

Thanks cougtv, where is this transformer on my RFM?

#30 10 years ago

The transformer is on the monitor chassis (the circuit board) that sits under the monitor horizontally. The neck board is the board on the back that mounts vertically to the back of the tube. Bu the transformer will likely be the largest piece (black in color) on the chassis board. As mentioned above, it carries the larger thick (anode) wire to the top of the tube. And don't touch it! On or off unless you know how to dissipate any potential left in that wire.

Generally these pin2k's have or left Williams with either the Ducksan or Wells Gardner monitor.

#31 10 years ago

Thanks dmacy, I have the WG monitor and will have a play with it in the next few days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 85.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-few-questions-about-rfm-from-new-owner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.