Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jdapolito
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

54A6CDE0-3B03-4EF6-B58A-6AA7E7CFF754 (resized).jpeg
    99A3922D-E826-4FC3-8F12-BAB0EB869A40 (resized).jpeg
    153DCEE5-52C9-479A-ACDB-C48E0CCB7216 (resized).jpeg
    682A52D1-6FAF-4F0C-8D9D-BD01A053FCBB (resized).jpeg
    08FAFBB5-5F79-418D-9CD8-660974160AE7 (resized).jpeg
    4186463B-984A-4680-9562-371492F5CDE8 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I’m working on a domino that was in pretty bad shape when I got it
    Two problems remain
    The dominos on the playfield don’t lite until the domino advance unit has advanced about 8 or ten notches
    Is this normal
    And the roto targets don’t always score when hit by the ball
    I know they are making good contact when hit
    Shouldn’t they always score when hit ?
    I cleaned the domino advance unit well and the sliding contacts seem to be well seated on the rivets
    Thanks for your help

#2 2 years ago

Also if anyone has a domino can you send me a scan of the lower left playfield plastic
    Thanks

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from jdapolito:

The dominos on the playfield don’t lite until the domino advance unit has advanced about 8 or ten notches
    Is this normal

No, it should light at every single step. Look at the "rivet board" in the Domino Advance Unit for a crack or break, or a broken jumper wire.
    .................David Marston

#4 2 years ago

Ok I took the robot board off can’t see any breaks but one ground wire has brown or burnt insulation and maybe a bad solder joint I’m going to put new ground wires on
    Just to be sure can you send me a picture of the unit in zero or start position
    Thanks

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from jdapolito:

Ok I took the robot board off can’t see any breaks but one ground wire has brown or burnt insulation and maybe a bad solder joint I’m going to put new ground wires on
    Just to be sure can you send me a picture of the unit in zero or start position
    Thanks

It would be even more helpful if you posted a pic of yours.

#6 2 years ago

Here are some pics I checked the ground wires with a meter and they seem to be making contact
    But what are the three wires with white insulation are they some kind of “fuse” could one of these be bad ?

08FAFBB5-5F79-418D-9CD8-660974160AE7 (resized).jpeg08FAFBB5-5F79-418D-9CD8-660974160AE7 (resized).jpeg153DCEE5-52C9-479A-ACDB-C48E0CCB7216 (resized).jpeg153DCEE5-52C9-479A-ACDB-C48E0CCB7216 (resized).jpeg4186463B-984A-4680-9562-371492F5CDE8 (resized).jpeg4186463B-984A-4680-9562-371492F5CDE8 (resized).jpeg682A52D1-6FAF-4F0C-8D9D-BD01A053FCBB (resized).jpeg682A52D1-6FAF-4F0C-8D9D-BD01A053FCBB (resized).jpeg99A3922D-E826-4FC3-8F12-BAB0EB869A40 (resized).jpeg99A3922D-E826-4FC3-8F12-BAB0EB869A40 (resized).jpeg
    #7 2 years ago

Did you test all the questionable bulbs and sockets using a jumper wire to a currently lit bulb?

#8 2 years ago

All the bulbs work just don’t light until the unit advance I think 8!or ten times
    The grounds seem good on the sliding shoes
    See those three white clothe insulated wires ? Should I have continuity between the ends because I don’t
    I looked under the insulation and it looks like very thin wire wound around a fiber ?
    What are those ?

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from jdapolito:

I looked under the insulation and it looks like very thin wire wound around a fiber ?
    What are those ?

Those should be resistors. Gottlieb used them to suppress arcing and burning rivet contacts on wiper boards. They should be shown on your schematic. There should be a certain resistance across them but cannot be open circuit.

#10 2 years ago

Maybe that’s the problem because they are open I don’t have a schematic for the domino but I think I have one for a top card I wonder if they used them on that game too
    I’ll try to look and see
    They don’t look like resistors I have ever seen but I’ll look again with magnification and see the color scheme of the bands and see if I can read the resistance from that

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from jdapolito:

They don’t look like resistors I have ever seen but I’ll look again with magnification and see the color scheme of the bands and see if I can read the resistance from that

They are called wire-wound resistors. Not sure if they are even going to have the color code marked on them. You can use any kind of resistor as long as they have the correct resistance and wattage rating. They are not used on all games (and not in many circuits as far as that goes), but I have a Royal Flush and a Super Soccer that have them and they both use 470 ohm, 2 watt resistors. They all serve the same purpose and are used at the same voltage, so I would bet that's what you have in your machine. You should be able to use a multimeter to check their resistance.

If they are open (hard to believe they would all be open), it really wouldn't prevent the circuits they protect from functioning (they are wired in parallel), but you would be getting severe arcing from the rotor contacts to rivets (due to back EMF) as the rotor sweeps around them and that causes damage to the relatively soft brass material used on these units.

#12 2 years ago

Here is the portion of the schematic with the resistors

54A6CDE0-3B03-4EF6-B58A-6AA7E7CFF754 (resized).jpeg54A6CDE0-3B03-4EF6-B58A-6AA7E7CFF754 (resized).jpeg
    #13 2 years ago

Duplicate post

#14 2 years ago

So you can see from the schematic snippet posted above that those resistors won't affect the actual operation of the relays. I'm wondering if you have the rotor indexed correctly on the stepper shaft? I just played this game on virtual pinball, and the "5" domino on the left side of the playfield should be lit at the start of a game. Of course, you also have to make sure the rotor is adjusted so the contacts are free and centered on the rivets and making good contact as it rotates. Other than that, if all the wires are intact on the unit, including the flimsy wires on the rotor, and it is mechanically advancing when pulsed, and the jones plugs are properly mated, it should work. Of course, the schematic might be helpful in revealing something that is not obvious. It's hard to troubleshoot without one.

#15 2 years ago

Yep the resistors were ok and thanks to Peruman for sending me pics of the unit in start position the rotor on mine was way off . I adjusted it and the dominos light now .
    The other problem I’m having is my roto target doesn’t score it well it does very very intermittently it looks like it’s making good contact with all contacts and rivits
    When I depress the roto target relay it scores .
    Cleaned homes plugs and they are making good contact also
    Where to look
    Is there a score motor switch for this

#16 2 years ago

Meant cleaned jones plugs ..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-few-questions-about-gottlieb-domino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.