(Topic ID: 167252)

A different GB issue, something Ive not seen...help needed.

By OLDPINGUY

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

So, Im working on some stuff with the playfield up and I step away and here a short, "crash"

In my mind, its not the sound of the playfield crashing down, and I look over and the playfield is still up?
WTF!

It has fallen off the track straight down vertical!!!

I have 2 long screws, a Thumb screw sheared, and a nylon roller.
It appears to me the screw holding the roller that runs on the track just snapped, dropping the playfield!!!

Panic Attack!

OK, so I have never taken a playfield on a Stern out, and I cant lift it passed the two metal roller tracks.

Suggestions?

Do I take the tracks out, remove the playfield, and then fix?

How does one get a playfield out and better reinstall?

Any vids someone knows about?

Shoot, a Bad screw based on shearing drops a playfield!

Any help is appreciated.....sorry Im typing on a weekend mind and in a small state of panic!

#2 3 years ago

Might need two people. Then figure if you can lift it up and out, or have to lean it forward while lifting the rear.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Thank you, Lloyd!

It doesnt seem to want to clear the rails....but I suppose there is an angle that will work.....any reason not to remove the rails and lift straight up?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

any reason not to remove the rails and lift straight up?

I'd try that too. Anything to get it out so you can set things right.

LTG : )

#5 3 years ago

Snap a pic and post it.

#6 3 years ago

It wont show much, just the playfield off the short internal tracks....when I get it out, Ill take some pics....

Strange as hell!

#7 3 years ago

The playfield on sterns is just free floating so it lifts out. If you're won't come out then perhaps it's wedged in by whatever broke. In either case, get a helper and pull the sucker out and set it on a table next to the pinball. The cords are long enough to do this. Then you can work on the problem. Probably an easy fix once the playfield is out.

#8 3 years ago

Good point. Thank you, Mark for your help!

Ill call some of the guys over tomorrow and a few heads would be better than mine...I hope nothing broke off the playfield...

Dont know if Pat has seen this one before!

Gauging the size of the thread on this, not the best way to hold a whole playfield.

Kinda like Chinese made screws today, Ive had so many snap trying to simply screw them in.

#9 3 years ago

how I remove a playfield by myself. May have to attach something to the playfield to support the slings.

#10 3 years ago

Thought it was bad enough we had ghosting in are machine now it looks like Stern may have shipped us some gremlins to

#11 3 years ago

Sorry to see you are having problems too, Flato.

Some of the local gang is coming by this weekend to help with Ghostbuster Surgery.

I can already see some damage....I dont think anything, or hope anything major, Ive got extra screws now in the bottom of the cabinet, and some wrecks inside.....I wonder what Stern will say......No way they would know about a bad screw, but so far no one can believe that this could all happen based on a single, small screw....

Should it happen to someone else, time to add rubber tip poles for protection when lifting the playfield...

Ill share the drama, when it unfolds...Not happy, but have no ability to hold stress these days....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Alexandria, VA
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Allentown, PA
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Auburn, ME
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
8,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa , NY

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside