69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tramd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#255 6 years ago

I played Stern's Star Wars, both a Pro and an LE, for the first time on the same day as the Pirates reveal and now I am trying to figure out how to get rid of some games to make room for both a JJPOTC LE and a Stern SW Pro. The SW Pro was a lot of fun with a great lay out and fun shots and cool video, sound and call outs. I think the disappointment comes from thinking the ultimate theme (for many) should be the ultimate pinball machine. This isn't the case but the game is pretty damn good for a $5300 NIB game. I would never pay an additional $3000-4000 for an LE or $2000 for a premium. I think the LE where I was had $9500 as the price.

The code issues, particularly with BM66, are definitely a concern but Stern is not going anywhere any time soon. I am a fan of any good pinball game and want to see them all succeed. JJP is without a doubt the best pinball manufacturer OAT IMO but Stern has made some great games and will make more great games.

#370 6 years ago
Quoted from xRose_of_Aragonx:

For the attention of anyone that may be mistaken, this issue has been resolved with moderators based on false accusations and my account reverified. If there are questions, you may ask directly. Please stop referring to me as someone I am not.
Moderators please step in and resolve this matter as you promised for public clarification. This is not motivational for new members.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Question:
So are you paying homage to "xTheBlackKnightx" from Vancouver, WA? Your writing style is practically identical.
Question:
Do you know or are you related to the "retired" (by choice) and inactive xTheBlackKnightx?
Question:
Will you be appearing on Voldimorts Pinball Podcast anytime soon?
Anyway, welcome to Pinside!

I went back and looked through many of xrose_or_aragonx posts and she clearly knows him. And well enough to not only write just like him but also write in a male tone (yes, there is a difference in how men and women write) and commonly has insight about collecting 10, 20, 30 years ago and obscure people in pinball despite being "new to pinball" as she seems compelled to state multiple times in her posts.

My friend, xTheBlackKnightx, who got me into pinball last year is preparing to publish a Ted Zale book he has been writing for quite a while.
I know he deactivated his profile here, but you can still find him on FaceBook and he recently released a "teaser" video with details.
He probably has Ted Zale photos, press releases, and other information that people might be asking about that otherwise might not be found, but I'm not sure.
You would have to ask him.

You should listen to a podcast interview that xTheBlackKnightx did about 1 1/2 years ago regarding the early 90s and collecting. A lot of detailed information regarding buying, selling, collectors, pricing and how a person bought games new and used. He probably could go back to the early 80s, if he had the time to explain the changes in the market and even the industry.

In response to:

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Welcome back TheBlackKnight, why the name change?

She wrote:

My name is Karla.
I am not xTheBlackKnightx. I am opening a moderator request to clear up this matter. I do not like being accused of being somebody else. Some women do like the hobby and own pinball machines.

However, the post was just after her post and didn't quote it. A new member to Pinside who didn't know xTheBlackKnightx would likely assume that they were referencing someone else or the OP and ignore it. Also, he said "TheBlackKnight" and she corrected to "xTheBlackKnightx"

So yeah, clearly she knows him and is definitely NOT xTheBlackKnightx

#625 6 years ago

I live in a community of about 100,000 people. I am aware of less than 20 pins on location and have only ever seen 4 newer games on location in the past 5 years: WOZ standard, Mustang Premium, Ghostbusters LE and BM66 Premium. I have 15 machines in my basement and know other collectors with 3, about 6 and over 20 and a few people with one pin. I am fairly sure I am aware of at least 90% of the pins on location and maybe about 10% of the pins in homes. Basically I estimate the ratio to be around 20 to 1 in homes versus on route in my area. Maybe that is atypical but I doubt it.

Now I understand that this thread is talking about NIB games. I have purchased 5 of those, am not aware of any other collectors buying NIB and have seen the 4 above that I believe were probably brand new games at the time they were put on route. Small sample size but I think that home buyers likely make up over 50% of NIB purchases and over 90% of used game ownership.

#668 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Yeah I searched for the video a little last night. Only thing I found is where he says in the USA the home market may be more then half. He does say that combined over half his business is commercial. I do know that he has stated it was over 70% in the USA on another speech but I doubt I am going to look for it anymore. The point is both the home buyer and the operator should be equally important to their bottom line IMO.
Heard here after 4:00 in » YouTube video

@6:40 he blows off the BM66 question. That game will go down as a low point for Stern.

#804 6 years ago

Back on topic...I am first and foremost a JJP fanboy but Stern making games essentially alone for over 10 years kept the new pinball industry alive and led to the reinvigoration we are now seeing. And they have made some fantastic games in the process. Every manufacturer has their amazing games and their turds but I am very enthusiastic about the future of pinball. There are some great games coming out from multiple manufacturers and the number of collectors is rapidly growing. I thought TNA looked lame but now I'm afraid to play it as I might end up loving it. I think it will succeed where Whoa Nellie failed. Alice Cooper seems promising too. The Big Lebowski and Alien appear like they could be great games and hopefully their manufacturers get things together. Aerosmith and Star Wars are really fun games. Dialed In! and JJPOTC are some of the best games ever made. It is a great time for pinball and while all of you are part of that, Stern deserves some thanks and respect for what they've done, despite questionable motivation and actions at times. I guess I just don't understand wanting to see any pinball company fail.

Now I'm going to go play my Dialed In!, my GB, my WOZ and my LOTR and dream about my Stern Star Wars and JJPOTC on the way! I hope everyone has a great weekend of pinball!

#877 6 years ago

I played a BM66 Premium. It was pretty fun from a layout and theme perspective but the code deficits were very obvious. It could be a great game with complete code. The chance of this happening seems dim with the low productions numbers, unfortunately.

#922 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Most people that say BM66 sucks haven’t played it. It’s definitely an easy game to shit on though because of how Stern rolled it out and I won’t deny that for one second. The pricing was BS, no Pro model was BS, and releasing it with basically no code was BS. That was all really bad IMO but this game will get better I think and when I got the chance to play one finally I actually liked it and had fun playing it, it shoots very well and is a beautiful game. I do understand the hate for it though and Stern deserves to be slammed over it because it was them that made BM66 an epic fail, not the game itself because it’s a good game IMO.
There are three games that they really lost out on. They lost out on GB big time because of the ghosting playfields. That game would have been a mega seller had that not happened. They lost out on BM66 because of the way they priced it and released it before it should have been and no Pro model. They also missed out on mega sales from Star Wars because they didn’t put enough thought into the game. It would have been amazing what a differences few toys and stuff on the playfield would have made. The game itself is not a bad game at all, but people just wanted more out of it. Guardians of the galaxy is going to be a good chance for them to redeem themselves and I think that they will do just that.

I wanted to hate BM66. I really did. I am a major Superman fan. Batman annoys me. The old show is so stupid and cheesy. But then I was waiting for my movie to start and I thought I'd put a few quarters in. I was hooked despite the deficiencies. The game could be SO SWEET but the repetitive nature of the game with the current code annoyed me. The game has massive potential and is fun regardless. I would probably buy one with polished code but I am not holding my breath for that. I love my GB Pro with no ghosting. I am going to purchase a Star Wars soon. It has its issues but I think people are mostly disappointed that their ultimate theme isn't the ultimate pin.

Quoted from John1210:

Chrome I could care less about.

Do you mean "couldN'T care less"? Sorry, but I see this written incorrectly more than correctly and I should care less.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tramd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.