69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1188 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I actually play games & understand them. Most people here understand and respect my opinions and knowledge of games...even if they disagree with me, they get where I'm coming from & know I'm coming from a place of experience.

As you know, I respect your opinions/knowledge, but have to disagree on The Hobbit. It's a stunning game to look at, but I really don't like the way it shoots. I don't have enough time to criticize the rules, however the layout is really uninspiring the me. As you know, I just took delivery of a Dialed-In...shoots so much nicer! For me, without a interesting shots, a game is hard to warm up to...

1 week later
#1385 6 years ago
Quoted from Whitenoise3000:

I was interested in the Star Wars LE when I heard about it. It was a grail theme for me. I even had $1000 down payment BEFORE the announcement. When it was actually announced I could not have been more disappointed. I backed out of my purchase. I thought about premium or pro but eventually decided to not get it. It was a combination of lackluster art, bare play field, and poor theme integration. It is basically a racing theme game (The Getaway: High Speed III perhaps) with a Star Wars decal on it.
Let me emphasize, this was a grail theme.
Also, my friend had a Ghostbusters LE that was a grail purchase for him. He sold it due to questionable longterm reliability and lack of code support.
I have LEs but my faith that Stern will consistently deliver an excellent product is gone. Unless Stern takes measures to reassure the customer of quality, they will continue to lose potential sales to other manufacturers.
Admittedly, there is currently no other company that is a high-volume manufacturer that competes with Stern for sales volume right now. So, right now we are stuck with the TINA (there is no alternative) situation. Stern knows this which is why they can continue to practice the way they do. Hopefully there will be a company that will be able to be the high-volume manufacturer alternative in the future. This always drives up innovation and quality. Stern doesn't really feel threatened right now.
To be clear, I want Stern to be great. I want their games to last for years and have great code.
For me, however, my next purchase are:
Twilight Zone
Attack from Mars Remake LE
Dialed In
No current plans for Stern.

Star Wars isn't a grail theme for me. I recently picked up an LE because it was convenient (local collector was selling).

After playing 50 games, I couldn't disagree more with your critique. Not a re-themed racing game! Sure, the Hyperdrive mechanism riffs on supercharger from Highspeed 2, but that's cool! Steve Ritchie designed it...that's a virtue!

If after playing 50 games, you are still disappointed, I'll be surprised.

snaroff

1 week later
#1529 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

More volume of pins, more issues and JJP will develop its share of hate with this crowd.

Both companies build products I love (most recently, DILE & SWLE).

One point that's hard to dispute is Stern builds their products with a calculator and JJP doesn't. Stern fans argue that's why they are the 10,000lb. gorilla in the pinball industry. Maybe, but it still doesn't feel great when you are a loyal customer.

Not much difference in price between DILE/SWLE, however DILE is a feast for the senses (and SWLE, not so much). Don't get me wrong, both are a lot of fun. I just think that Stern/Spike are more focused on margins and less about giving us the most for our buck.

snaroff

#1539 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Excellent point. Who Dey is a good dude. Have had many positive PM discussions about games.

No doubt. Good to see Cali hasn't changed you Snaroff!
I'd say that both build games with the calculator. The fixed overhead with Stern is huge, if they don't factor in costs they go out of business fast.
You can't really compare a SWLE (or any Stern LE) and a DILE or POTCLE. Compare the JJP LE to the Stern premium, $9500 plus shipping versus $7200 shipped premium. A JJP LE is really "limited" either.
I agree, the Stern LE model is BROKEN

Agreed. I've been more of a Premium guy...never "got" the Stern LE model. The only reason I have SWLE is I picked it up from a local collector for very close to the price of a Premium.

The AFMr LE model is very collector friendly...motivated me pulling the trigger on one a few days ago. The topper is sick and worth the price of admission.

I still need to push back on equating JJP and Stern in terms of both building game with a calculator. Everything is relative, and Stern is clearly more aggressive when it comes to BOM costs. Sure, they have more overhead, but they also have more buying power with their suppliers! JJP is clearly giving people much more for their money. The trick for both is providing a game that's fun. Despite SWLE's starkness, it's still a blast to play (and will likely get better as they approach v1.0 code).

snaroff

#1555 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I had my own "Dark Night for Stern" last Saturday.
I own quite a few of their pins, LOVE them to Death and they will never leave my house. But what I saw and played on Saturday will never get into my house. I had skipped on the last 3 Stern titles already due to their current poor build quality and seeing this broke my heart.
Dimples like I have never seen on a new title and of course, ghosting.
And it was obvious that all money went into buying the license, not the BOM.

I've never seen dimpling like that. I own an SWLE and the CC looks awesome (thought I have less than 100 plays on mine). The build quality on the LE is as good as any Stern I've purchased in the past 5 years.

I understand the knee jerk reaction regarding the BOM, however the hyperdrive and LCD are expensive PF "toys". The hyperdrive is amazing. I just had a great game and Tie Fighter MB is awesome. The images and original sound track are also incredible. Call outs are sparse, but I'm told that's going to improve.

If my PF ends up looking like your photo, it will suck.

snaroff

#1558 6 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

What is madness? I've owned two TWD's and never had a reset.

I've also never had Stern reset problems. If Spike machines are still using cheap power supplies OEM's in China, then maybe some power supplies are flaky? Who knows.

snaroff

#1560 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

You may ended up with a great quality pin and have nothing to worry about. Yours has no ghosting and no dimples? Well, neither does my GBPrem - whilst the GBLE here in town has terrible ghosting. It almost seems like there are two sources for playfields that Stern uses. One has great quality, the quality we all love and expect, and the other is cheap as crap.

Was the PF you posted from a "Pro"? Curious.

snaroff

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#1637 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

From Stern service bulletin 189.
Looks many Spike 2 users need
Capacitor Service Kit 502-7060-00
Core Node Stabilization Kit 502-7061-00
Disappointing I had to learn this from another Pinsider.

It is shocking that Stern can't send registered product owners an email. I'm sure there are many owners that aren't on Pinside.

snaroff

2 weeks later
#1676 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I have had major issues with my last 2 NIBs Sterns, but I haven't wasted time posting about it a tonne a.k.a bitching and moaning, as that doesn't fix shit in my books.
So I spent the time dealing with Stern direct and other than having to chase up alot more than I should have to, the resolution has been perfect, Pat and John B even Gary have been great overall, ultimately made sure I was happy and then some.
Problems certainly shouldn't have happened out of the box but they resolved them which in the end is what matters, thanks again guys in case your reading

I've had great experience with the Stern folks as well. They are very responsive and have taken care of me for almost 15 years (my first 2 NIB pins were LOTR & TSPP).

From my perspective, discussing NIB pin problems isn't "wasting time" if you stick to the problems/solutions. I recently purchased my first JJP pin and wrote about my issues (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialing-in-dialed-in-le-96). Many DI owners sent me PM's thanking me for the post. The post helps folks with similar problems and hopefully provides some useful feedback to the pinball manufacturer.

JJP support folks have been helpful with sending me low level parts, but JJP management has been incredibly unresponsive when compared with Stern.

snaroff

#1678 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Can you provide some examples of issues and Stern management response vs. similar issues with JJP?

Using specific examples is difficult...I've owned MANY Sterns over 15 years and purchased my first JJP pin on 10/26 (DILE).

Logistically speaking, I expect a company to return phone calls and emails in a timely fashion. What do I consider timely? 1 week. I sent JJP management a cordial email on my DILE issues on 11/18 and never received a response. Today, I'm happy to report Jack sent me an email to discuss my issues. I'm hopeful we will arrive at a win/win resolution.

I sent Stern management an email on 12/7 and received a response on 12/7...5 hours later IIRC. I was having some issues with my recently purchased AS. I also wanted to bend management's ear on the ridiculous pegs they continue to ship (since it effected my ability to repair the damaged flipper I received).

Just to be clear, both JJP support (Frank, Steve) and Stern support (Pat) are responsive. No issues on getting simple parts ordered. I'm talking about responsiveness on issues that aren't easily handled by the guys in the support trenches.

snaroff

#1682 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I’ve been playing a lot of the newer Sterns a lot on route recently, and they are fun as hell - beautiful - for the most part. If they paid more attention to the details and handled their code better, threads like this probably wouldn’t exist.
I understand the support Stern gets, but it’s frustrating too, because Stern can do better, but if they see no incentive to improve they probably won’t.

Stern should have plenty of incentive. CGC, JJP, and Spooky are producing some really nice games. AFMr (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-an-le-that-feels-like-an-le), DI, and TNA are all pretty sweet. American Pinball also looks promising. All these companies are competing for the same slots in pinball lineups.

From my perspective, belly aching about Stern on Pinside is therapy, but unlikely to have an impact. If you want bend Stern's ear on an issue, contact Stern's leaders directly. I've been a loyal customer for over 15 years and my attitude about Stern products has changed over time, however they do respect solid feedback from loyal customers. I recently bent their ear on an issue and believe they were very receptive to my feedback.

snaroff

2 weeks later
#1712 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Whatever.
You want to see what quality issues look like? Go read the AFM thread, the DialedIn thread, or the Aliens thread.
Please find me Pinsiders having actual unresolved problems with their recently purchased Stern pins. I don't believe it's any worse than any other manufacturer.

Yep. I took a 2 year break from new pinball purchases since my KISS Premium purchase in 2015.

I recently purchased DILE, AFMrLE, SWLE, and AS Pro. The Stern games had the least problems, by a significant margin. SWLE has been flawless and AS Pro needed some minor flipper adjustments and was missing the rubber inserts on the BB (no big deal).

Despite having issues with my DILE, it is a stunning pinball machine and my favorite of the four (with SWLE a very close second). Here is a post that details most of my issues (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialing-in-dialed-in-le-96). From my perspective, this is a reminder that quality is ultimately about how much pleasure you get from something, not simply a measure of build quality. Of course, for folks that don't like to take the glass off, build quality is much more critical. The tweaks I made to DILE could not have been done by a newbie or unmotivated owner...

snaroff

#1728 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't really agree with the Miele comparison. Their engineering and manufacturing is contracted out for most of their products these days, and many of their products are lower spec, lower build quality respins of Liebherr's own stuff with a huge price mark up. They do have a very good reputation for customer service though.

Yep. A few years ago, I had a problem with an older Miele vacuum. I asked the repair person if it was worth fixing and he said "hell yeah", they don't make them like this anymore (and he actually sold new models). Really honest guy that fixed my vacuum for almost nothing. Could have told me it was junk and sold me a new one!

One of the biggest purchases any of us makes is homes, and craftsmanship in most parts of the country suck. Same for most furniture. All things considered, pinball isn't in such a bad place.

snaroff

2 months later
#1768 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

What’s the point in spending time and money on marketing a new pinball machine?

I agree. In 2004, I walked into a "Sharper Image" store with a LOTR on display. I was totally consumed with work and pinball fell off my radar screen entirely. When I saw the LOTR, I couldn't believe how awesome it was. Didn't realize new titles were even being produced. Ended up looking up a distributor and buying one soon after (the Sharper Image Retail "tax" was silly). So rather than fancy traditional marketing with commercials/ads, the more opportunities for folks to "bump into" a game, the better for sales. When non pinball folks visit my home, most of them are unaware pinball machines are even being produced.

snaroff

3 weeks later
#1805 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Why is Maiden so frickin good?
Main reason is that the code is already superb.
If Stern have turned a corner and are now prioritizing code, they are only going to get stronger.

Stern adopted some great Keith Elwin "R&D" (from the "Archer" project) when they decided to hire him. This gave Stern a big leg up and most definitely contributed to the polish we rarely see from Stern out of the gate. Hopefully Stern paid Keith for the R&D prior to hiring him...he certainly deserves it!

snaroff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.99
Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 28.00
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.