69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

JJP ...You know he can lower his price $1000 easily and still make hefty profits. It would open him up to a much larger group of collectors, and his sales would double. Instead of $8500 he was at $7500 for the standard. If he sold double the amount of games

Why would they want to do that?

They can't make enough of the $8500 ones now.

If they made twice the amount of machines at $7500, by the time they employed twice as many staff to make them, and increased the size of the building, and bought all the plant, they'd actually make less money than maintaining the status quo.

More turnover doesn't necessarily mean more profit.

(AKA: I made more money from one furniture store than I did from 4).

rd

#441 6 years ago

I didn't listen to Garys Expo speech this year, but I have heard it before.

I know where he is coming from ... we were discussing it when he was down in NZ last year.

What he is saying (or trying to say) is the Barcades are introducing a new younger generation to pinball ... in the same way that arcades did back in the 70s/80s. He sees that as a great thing. He loves to see kids/teens playing pinball, he was surprised how many we had playing at Pincade when he was here.

The last thing anyone wants to see is pinball dying off with the guys currently in their late 40s/50s/60s, which is on the cards unless we bring the young guys on board in big numbers.

rd

#443 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Yup. I have a ton of 20 something's coming into the cafe, eating and smashing beers, and playing pinball. 99% of them have never played before. Don't realize you can play more than 1 player on game! They get hooked, and hard. Lots of repeat business from the younger crowd.

That's awesome man.

I see the same thing when I travel around the States, in Denver, Chicago, NYC ... bars with pinball (and arcades) packed with people of all ages, drinking beer, playing pinball and having a good time.

Unfortunately we don't have any barcades here in Auckland yet ... we don't really have any location pinball to speak of really, a few games here and there. A few of us are working towards making something happen.

Wellington has a thriving little scene happening now, thanks to pinsiders clg and @simonzzz. Awesome to see people playing pinball on location again!

rd

#505 6 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

How many kids and teens will be playing in a barcade?

My 15 year old daughter has played in barcades around the world. All the ones in Denver, Logan Arcade, Sunshine Laundromat .. hasn't been a problem so far. We go in during the day rather than at night time.

In NZ, Australia and Europe, kids can go in most licenced premises without a problem, they just can't buy a drink.

rd

#517 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

They introduced the LE with Star Trek and it was absolutely a success

The LE came out long before Star Trek ...

rd

#528 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I stand corrected and updated my post. To me, STLE was the first LE that did the LE concept justice.

I dunno, Tron LE did the LE thing pretty good.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Keep the match enabled, just make it a low % payout. I never expect to match anyways, but do enjoy the brief "thrill" of the match sequence.

I would get rid of the Match (set it to a very low percentage) and keep one free credit reward for getting a high score.

rd

#531 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Yeah, forgot about Tron. That was pretty awesome.
Ok, how about STLE was the first LE I thought was worth buying because I missed out on Tron LE?

We can accept that.

rd

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#613 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Not sure why Stern guards the percentage of various market segments so much.

The truth is, they don't know.

They sell games to distributors, the distributors sell the games.

If you buy a game from JJ at Game Exchange, he doesn't ask you what you're doing with it. You could be routing it, or putting it in your barcade, or putting it in your house. He doesn't know. So how would Stern know?

rd

#660 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

XM (IMO) has some flaws that could have been fixed if Stern gave a crap, the lack of final Wizard mode is one....
IMO defeating all the villains is too hard (IMO) in one game

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I didn't realize this. Was 99.9% in on purchasing one. Glad I didn't.

See, that's ridiculous.

Don't be swayed by those comments.

What final Wizard Mode isn't coded?

There isn't one. Not like GB where there is one on the PF and it doesn't work. XMEN doesn't have one! There's no insert for another wizard mode.

You can't say "there's no final wizard mode" when there isn't supposed to be one! And then say you've only completed 2 villians so you'd never see it even if it was there!

Good luck first beating all the Heroes and then beating all the Villians. There's probably only a handful of people who have done that (on factory settings without stacking on)

The two wizard modes for Heroes and Villains are more than adequate, and are both very good Wizard modes, particularly Dark Phoenix. If you want to see them I have a video on YouTube of both modes in one game.

That's the problem ... someone says something like that, and now people think "it's a thing". It isn't.

rd

2 weeks later
#1359 6 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

So sick and tired of you yanks crying about the price of jjp pb. I'm down for a ce potc in Australia it costs $19300.my car is only worth $10000

Paying $19,300 AUD for a collectors edition JJPOTC is in-saaaane!

Why would you want to do that?

Why not buy the standard one (which has exactly the same gameplay) for $5000 less?

You’re in a small market .. if you sell the CE in a few years, you’re going to lose a heap of money. If you buy a standard, you won’t lose much (presuming the game turns out ok)

As you said yourself, your car is only worth $10k, I can’t fathom why you’d pay twice that for a pinball machine.

Don’t get sucked into the whole “fake scarcity” thing...

rd

#1365 6 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

To rotodave if you read my original post (I should have started it nicer sorry America) I explained I thought of it as swapping 2 for 1 .i played about 20 games at flip out and met jersy jack and fell in love with this pinball. Also think it's worth the extra not to have Johnny Depp on it. Plus I love toppers.

$5000 is an awful lot to pay for a topper.

I live in NZ. Same as Aussie but even smaller top end market.

I was offered a Batman Super LE. It was going to be $25,000 NZD (thanks to the local distributors large markup)

I declined buying it because I knew if I ever went to sell it, I would be blowing $10k plus. Probably $12-13,000 at my guess.

I got a BM66 premium (exactly the same game) for well less than half the SLE price. 44% of the price to be exact. It doesn’t have the topper that the $17,000 LE or $25,000 SLE does.

Bm66 LE/SLE has one of the best toppers of any pinball made. But I ain’t paying $6000 or $14,000 extra for it. That would be mental.

rd

#1372 6 years ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

So Dave, what's the depreciation on the Lexus like? Or should I import the Toyota Mark X G instead.

I bought that for $70,000 off list price too.

I let other suckers take the hit.

rd

#1374 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Will NIB pinball ever depreciate as much as every other consumer product?

No, because of scarcity... there are always buyers for used games.

However, like everything (property, cars, etc) as the price gets higher, the pool of possible buyers decreases.

When the market slows, they might drop a little more in price, and take longer to sell. But still nothing like a used TV.

rd

1 week later
#1472 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Maybe I need to take this hobby a lot more serious though and get angry at it, start stressing about resale values, start worrying about pinball in 15 years

See, that’s where you’re going wrong.

rd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.