69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronaldvg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#808 6 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

I don't think many people want stern to fail. We just want them to stop the money grab and put a little more effort in design, manufacturing, quality, software, and value. They are still the largest pinball manufacturer but they are no where the best. Perhaps they don't want to be which will hurt them in the long run.

This !

I was a long time Stern NIB buyer, but there is a pattern with them. If they think it will be an instant hit (GoT, SW, BM66) they will just not put in the effort to make it great. Be it the artwork or the game or the software, they just are not passionate about making the best they can. JJP proves this by making some great games that ooze with passion.

Also the fact that I am still waiting on a playfield swap for a ghosted GB does not help. It has been over a year now. I feel treated bad by them and therefore I will not buy again, not even GOTG if they make that even though it is a great theme for me. I gave them my trust too many times already. They do not stand by their product.

#884 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

but good luck finding a BM66LE

Actually there are a few for sale in Germany and Belgium. They do not sell at all even when they ask 2000 euro's less than it has cost.

I think the main reason why they are not for sale at the moment is that not a lot of people are willing to take a big loss and are hoping the software will improve drastically soon.

I had a BM66LE for a few months so I know the game very well. What amazed me about the game (not in a positive way) was the overly old fashioned design of the rotiserie. They use a normal motor with pins and switches while a simple stepper motor would have been much simpler and more reliable (in my opinion that is, I work a lot with steppers in 3D printers).

Now they boast that it is such a complicated design, but they fail to see that it is designed complicated. It really is not complicated at all if they would have used a more modern approach and not would have done it like 20 years ago. They already used steppers for the dragon in GoT so they know how to use them.

#942 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Freedom also seems to mean 10K games which I can do without. I'm glad there are options for those that want them, but I'll pass at that price.

Luckily Stern just takes an old design, changes a few things and put a rotiserie on it and asks 15k

#1028 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Price discrimination and price gouging. Plain and simple. There are different distributors for different countries, but the prices are all similar.

Not entirely true. The problem is that Stern delivers to distributors directly in the US. Over here there is one extra step, the importer. They get the machines from Stern and they sell it to the distributors. They also get a fair chunk of the pie and that is one reason why the games are priced much higher over here. It also does not help that there is a very little number of distributors so they do not have to compete with eachother. We never pay less than MSRP just because the distributors will not do it.

JJP does deliver directly to a distributor which in turn delivers it to other distributors, but they can ask the same price as the main distributor that gets them from JJP.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this, I am sure it works like this for a number of countries, not sure if it is true for all of Europe.

#1031 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I think you're getting confused about distributors and resellers.

Ok different name, but we cannot buy from the distributor, only from the reseller. I know who the Stern distributor for Belgium is and they will not sell to anybody but their resellers.

The distributor for JJP is Freddy's pinball and there we can all buy a game directly.

1 week later
#1361 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

If you buy a standard, you won’t lose much (presuming the game turns out ok)

This is not true for everything, as I have a WoZ standard currently for sale. I have it for sale because I wanted the ECLE version and I have found it and bought it. Literally every inquery about the WoZ is asking me to sell them the LE, even when it costs 2500 dollar more than what I ask for the standard. My standard even has the shaker and Invisiglass as extra's but still it will not sell.

Standard is the most limited version here in Europe because not many people want it.

#1363 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Australia/New Zealand is whole different market down here as our choice options and the number of new pins coming into the country are so small that you can be almost guaranteed to get 90% plus of your original NIB outlay back should you ever decide to sell whether it be at Pro, Premium or LE level.
What we don't have down here as RD correctly alluded to is any significant number of collectors willing to pay those sorts of prices at this new CE pricing level on the secondary market. Once the pricing on the upper tier Stern models cracked the $10kAU mark even the NIB sales of those dropped off dramatically are are now half of what they were just 5 years ago.
As said earlier, this new pricing structure isn't catering for local market expansion, it is simply targeting the miniscule segment of the existing collector market who have adopted the gotta have it no matter what the cost simply because it is "rare" mentality.

Thanks for the explanation. Good write-up of the market over there, very interesting that it can differ so much. Same is true or US and EUR markets by the way. Prices are very different here as they are in the US especially for older BW games.

3 weeks later
#1599 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I do believe the camera makes it look a little worse because he is zoomed in big time when he took that picture.

I believe the guy said that in person it was worse than on the pictures.

#1602 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He can say whatever he wants, doesn't make it true. Just believe whatever you want to believe I guess. My belief is the camera makes it look worse that what it really is and I also believe that it will get better the more that it's played. I believe that because I have personally experiencd what he is looking at with 2 of my games and they look good now. I'm not saying that is normal or ok or anything like that, just telling you what my experience was.

Ok, if you are so convinced, would you buy it from him seeing those pictures ? You know it will flatten out perfectly

Maybe he just got a bad playfield, that does not make him a liar and his problem is real. Maybe that is possible also ?

#1619 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I never called him a liar either by the way.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

He can say whatever he wants, doesn't make it true.

Sorry, you did.

Edit: wanted to add that we can go on about this all day, but in the end there is a bad playfield and you will not even consider the possibility that that can happen. So I am going to leave it at that. I hope you never have any problems with your machines such as I did with multiple nodeboards that took months to resolve and a bad playfield that has yet to be changed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dow, IL
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronaldvg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=ronaldvg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.