69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rgr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The speech Gary gave about barcades etc was not as stupid as it sounds. Stern have always publicly spoken about broadening pinballs exposure - barcades and competitive pinball are great ways to expose more people to pinball. .

I would agree if Sterns reliability for one thing was not so bad, along with their quality control. Of course having designing games with stuff that people have not seen in the last 25-30 years would help as well. People need to see new things happening in pinball and the only thing thats been different from a player perspective is the LCD. The only one imo thats been on the money is SW.

#450 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I honestly think they will kill it with GOTG and Elvira but same old same old with code

NOthing they do in the next 5 years MIN will come close.. Its just not in their business model to goto that much effort. Do they have the potential to change or do better? Sure. Will they... No chance.

#455 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

When you already own 90% of the market, the only way you can show growth is when the overall market grows. That's why Stern get behind comps and want to encourage barcades.

Stern are only behind comps as its a good way to market their games.. not pinball in general. If they did really care about the player than they would not have developed a Pro model game. When Gary was asked about what Stern did for Pinball in 2010 prior to ACDC coming out, he avoided the question. I cant blame him cos they were not doing anything. Having a prize like a tshirt or a pinball doing more for Stern, than Sterns doing for the community. Game development is the number 1 area that Stern (if they gave a shit about) could increase the market in terms of players being attracted to pinball again, but upto this point people are saying, yeah seen all this before.

#460 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

If they took your advice they'd have been out of business years ago.
Time will tells how successful JJP will be, but it seems their success will come from eating Stern LE sales, not from the market increasing in any significant way from a better game.

lol JJP did.. And look now. WTF are you talking about saying the market isnt increasing from a better game? My god pull your head out of the sand. This along with competitions is the only thing that will keep pinball alive, not the HUO nostalgic market which will flood. JJP are designing games for the right market, NOT US. New players that will get attracted to new updated features. Stern have been doing to same thing for decades... is that helping things move forward??

#485 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think DI is a fantastic game and JJP's best of the 3 I have played.-I haven't played POTC to compare. But I think sales wise it will go down as a flop due to the theme. If you look at Pinside ownership (which I would guess accounts for around 20% of total game sales on these models) WOZ has 957 owners, Hobbit 488, and DI 166. If I had to guess on how many games have actually sold I would guess around 4K WOZ, 2K Hobbit, and maybe around 700 DI's? This is just a guess though and actual numbers could be much higher or lower. I don't think JJP did itself any favors on DI by announcing POTC when it did. It may have made more sense to wait until TPF and then announce POTC with immediate shipping but I guess this way it gives people more time to sell games and save money!

l'll have a side bet on that.. DI will out sell both Hobbit and Woz. But then you can only reply on stat from this site...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#488 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

DI won’t outsell Woz.

2 bets then...

#491 6 years ago

I actually cant think of a better playfield in terms of shots, flow, balance etc etc etc than DI. POTC looks good, but I am not sure that it will challenge DI in that respect anyway. I think it a good game for all skill ranges as well. Players will come to realize that imo. TZ,FH,RS,TAF all in one....

#496 6 years ago

When the game is good and the theme is bad, you know its a brilliant game When the theme is the best part about the game, then you know its bad

#557 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah because TWD, GB, GOT, TRON, AC/DC, AS, Kiss, MET and many other games are just terrible right? You're just another Stern hater.

They are in terms of PF design. Have a look at JJPOTC and you can see why. Not a hater, just someone with their eyes open knowing that the industry can do better, yet some manufacturers decide not to.

NB: GB aint a bad game actually and the code on Acdc and MET is quite good to, but dont tell me a better job could not have been done... Hmmm how about we compare both POTC's... 90s games being remade.... yeah the industry must be going well if they are bringing back games from 20 years ago! This was always going to happen that a manufacturer would come out and decide to make a game with innovations available. Sure people might be happy with their Stern collections, but dont get all cut up and defensive when someone just does things better.

#560 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah and the 3500 difference just for the standard, don't be foolish.

lol but its got 2000% more. Bi winning!

#882 6 years ago

Di could be the purest playfield ever made.. just saying. For amount of stuff in a playfield you can go past JJPOTC aka TSPP on steriods.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rgr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=rgr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.