69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Stern however broadcast clearly that they are going to concentrate on location gaming,

If that's that they're saying, that's just a bullshit copout. You don't make super expensive Premiums, LEs, and Super LEs for locations. What happened to the "three legged stool"?

They SHOULD be making quality, tested, finished GAMES....period. That will appeal to all of their markets. Whenever the insinuate that most of the players don't know the difference between good/bad games, that's so shameful....you're a GAME company - take pride in making FUN GAMES.

#257 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Without Stern after the WMS exit the hobby would have been little more than keeping existing games running. No one was building games

I think you're giving new game sales too much credit for its influence on "the hobby". This hobby has always been about old games, restoring them and keeping them running. When I started paying attention to it (around 2005), all of the established collectors I met were ALL about the old games. They barely cared about Stern. Some of them bought a LOTR because it was by Gomez (B/W legend) & the deep code - but even my friends with a LOTR complained about it (feels cheep, it's clunky, cabinet and plastics resolution sucks, sound isn't as good as DCS or WPC'95). In the hobby scene, Sterns were something you picked up cheap at an auction or from operators almost out of a curiosity...just to have something new. But they weren't any kind of focus. Collectors started respecting Sterns more when SAM improved the games significantly over Whitestar & their B/W legends like Dennis Nordman, Steve Ritchie & Pat Lawlor were making SAM games with themes they liked. They still complained about the plastics/can resolution & Photoshop art...but they were coming around and buying NIB more. Still - that was 2 or 3 Sterns in 20+ game collections with all classics. The hobby would have been existed without Stern.

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

With due respect, if you started in 2005 you started after the dark days were over. Yes, the hobby has always been more than new games and the hobby would have existed had Stern quit, but it would have been nothing like what it is now and there is no way we would have seen the interest explosion we have in the last 5-10 years. The hobby would have been transformed into what its like for those that like jukeboxes, soda machines or EMs - recovery and restoration, not advancement and new ideas.
I started in 1996. Ask anyone who was around from that era or before what they think. Ask Jersey Jack. Ask most of the large operators. Ask the folks from Williams. I'll bet the vast majority will agree that Gary essentially saved pinball, no matter of what they think of Stern Pinball today.

I think you're still confusing the pinball
business for the pinball hobby. Stern kept the pinball BUSINESS alive. Sure there's some crossover, as hobbyists will buy new games - but pinball & the people who love it don't cease to exist without new games.

Even the hipster barcade scene would be fine. They go for the retro experience. All the video arcade games are 80s and 90s at barcades and the crowd loves them. Most of the normal people who go to barcades don't know or care if the pins are new. At one of our local places, Button Mash - they have a mix of old
and new. Aerosmith didn't earn at all despite being new and looking more modern.

#273 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I'm not the one confusing the business for the hobby.
No matter how you want to spin it, Gary deserves credit for saving pinball. You may not want to give him that credit, and that's fine, but I suspect you are in the minority whether your focus/interest is business or hobby.

Don't put words in my mouth. I've always given Gary credit. I own 7 Sterns. I'm happy they're around. That doesn't change the fact that THEIR business isn't THE HOBBY.

#398 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The speech Gary gave about barcades etc was not as stupid as it sounds. Stern have always publicly spoken about broadening pinballs exposure - barcades and competitive pinball are great ways to expose more people to pinball.

It's a total deflection and a cop out. They manufacture games. If their manufacturing is sub-par & the games aren't complete, they've failed at making a product regardless of where it ends up. One of the perks of pinball for ops is resale value. If the games don't hold up or gain a good reputation, ops lose out too.

#518 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The LE came out long before Star Trek ...
rd

Yeah, first LE with different features was Avatar. AC/DC was the first of the Pro/Prem/LE deal.

#540 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

GOT, SW, AS, BM66, GB are all medicore pins? come on don't talk foolish.

That is foolish...mediocre is too kind for that list.

GOT = Sub-Mediocre
SW = A mess
AS = Mediocre
BM = BM
GB = Box of vomit

The SPIKE era has been massively disappointing. Most of the SAM games were really great...and if not great, really damn good. Whitestar had some gems, too.

#559 6 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Why go back to Sam and deal with a year waiting for a color dmd? Pick your poison. I’d like to think at some point the growing pains will be over.

No one said to go back to SAM....just that the games were better during that era.

#584 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

BM = Bowel Movement?
Sounds about right.

Pimp gets me.

#866 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is it worth $8-10K it was sold for?
I can't see BM re-selling for any more than a typical LE or premium, I see one GB LE with mods not selling at $6950 and I have to view that as comparable to any BM66 LE or premium.

Here's a BM66 I saw over the weekend. So much for that giant stupid magnet thing. Worn to the wood in front of it. They can't charge this much if they can't up their quality game. BM is the best acronym.

IMG_2047 (resized).JPGIMG_2047 (resized).JPG

#986 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

This is a Borg game, it will be a Groot bash toy, not a Groot on a spring.

Or it'll be a giant plastic sculpt that does very little or nothing (Magneto, Gene head, Well walker)

#994 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Dont know what planet you are on

Earth, where lots of great pinball machines exist and will be a point of comparison for new games.

Quoted from Edenecho:

, except for the artwork got is a fantastic game!

It's OK for a couple bucks on location, but I wouldn't want to own it. Yes, artwork is a huge factor...but also lack of any interesting toys & features. I already have fast Steve Ritchie games...ones with cool features, too. GOT is just too cheap & ugly...I don't think it implemented the theme as well as it could have, the red DMD with video footage looks like ass, the video mode is one of the worst ever....so, all its got left are the math-chess rules, which are great if you like them - but I don't really like them or find satisfaction in them.

#1004 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I wish JJP had got GoT and GB licenses and Stern had done Hobbit and redone PotC.

Since I love Hobbit, I'm very glad Stern did not do Hobbit.

#1021 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

And don't forget to add that Stern's GOT is one of the best pinball machines ever made also

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#1043 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No I'm not joking, even a little bit. I think the game is a masterpiece. It has great code, it's fast, and the shots are awesome feeling. It also has one of the best light shows out there. GOT Pro is one of the best bargains in pinball.

I'm actually very excited for you - one day you're going to play the AMAZING games that were made before 2015, and your mind is just going to be BLOWN. I can't wait!

#1058 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah he loves the Hobbit and says GB is the worst game ever made, go figure lol.....I mean how are you even supposed to take a guy like that serious?

I actually play games & understand them. Most people here understand and respect my opinions and knowledge of games...even if they disagree with me, they get where I'm coming from & know I'm coming from a place of experience.

#1129 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

This, along with your avatar, is one of the most pretentious things I've ever read on Pinside.
Sorry we're such idiots.

Way to misconstrue my point. Who Dey thinks GB and GOT are the greatest games ever made. My point is that he hasn't played the breadth of games that are out there, then he claims my opinions can't be trusted. I've played everything. Experience counts for something when forming opinions, and even if you don't agree with my opinions - they come from a place of experience.

#1132 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

GB takes some tweaking for sure but once it's set up right it's very very good and GOT is pure greatness also.

Speaking of pure greatness....gonna fire up some Super Mario Odyssey! No more pinball lol byeeeeeeeee

#1148 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I hear it is one of THE best games ever - just ordered

It's so good...it's SOOO GOOOOD. I had the cart pre-ordered but buckled and bought it digitally so I could play it at 9pm last nite...lol. Guess I'll ebay the cart!

#1184 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah I wasn’t knocking Rare Hero for playing it, even though I do think it’s a little odd for a guy his age to like Mario so much but I’m fine with that truthfully if that’s what he likes. I just don’t think that there are many gamers 50 plus years old so excited for the new Mario game coming out lol.

Well, I just turned 41 - maybe that has something to do with it? Almost everyone I know is super hyped about Mario and bouncing off the walls about it. I was 6 or so when I first saw Donkey Kong & Mario Bros. in the arcade - they've been part of my life ever since. Anyone who grew up during the NES, SNES, or N64 eras are going berserk for this game....and it's not just nostalgia, the game delivers. Just so imaginative and clever and fun.

#1189 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

As you know, I respect your opinions/knowledge, but have to disagree on The Hobbit. It's a stunning game to look at, but I really don't like the way it shoots. I don't have enough time to criticize the rules, however the layout is really uninspiring the me. As you know, I just took delivery of a Dialed-In...shoots so much nicer! For me, without a interesting shots, a game is hard to warm up to...

I felt the same way - until I got to know it. Hobbit is a "whatever" layout, but it's all about the rules, sights and sounds that brings it all together as a phenomenal experience. Unfortunately for Hobbit, it's a true "Home Use" game - you won't get a real sense of it in a noisy location or at a show.

#1211 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Lol, you just got a new handle RH.

I'll take your word for it.

IMG_2226 (resized).PNGIMG_2226 (resized).PNG

#1238 6 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

It does appear that Stern is aiming for the lower end pinball market with the Pro models. Maybe they will stop producing the LE's or Premiums eventually. Just a thought.

There's nothing "lower end" about a $5000-ish purchase. They need quality standards on all levels of game. They'll never give up Prem/LE - it's tons of extra money for something that really doesn't cost them much more to make than the Pro, but the people they market those games to will pay the premium to get extra features or exclusivity.

#1317 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

All 5 + they didnt want their product competing with JJP's product....

...at the end of the day it is competing. Once they're all for sale simultaneously, they're competing. Not showing at Expo doesn't change that.

2 weeks later
#1457 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

If you look at the pro version of GOTG you can see they bring the magic back for a pro.
They have to step up from the competition coming from the new wms remakes games and Houdini and Alien.
JJP games looks all great at a higher cost but if you can and wil pay 6 you wil pay 8+ for a Quality JJP game.
I think they are awake now.

You're talking about design and features, not quality control. GOTG looks enticing, but there still may be the usual Stern problems: playfield issues (ghosting, cratering), cabinet splitting issues, decal issues, node board issues, code issues.

#1541 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Agreed. I've been more of a Premium guy...never "got" the Stern LE model.

It made sense in the ACDC/Met days when the LE was "only" $800 more than the Premium. That seemed fair for what you got...unique art package, unique powdered armor, mirrored backglass, "collectibility" (even if fake)

Now they charge more and give you less...doesn't make sense now when the Premiums are more than the LEs used to be.

#1584 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've never seen dimpling like that. I own an SWLE and the CC looks awesome (thought I have less than 100 plays on mine). The build quality on the LE is as good as any Stern I've purchased in the past 5 years.

This is the "cratering" I've been talking about. This is not normal dimpling that will smooth out. A playfield that looks like this will always look like this. From what I've heard, Stern is using different playfield suppliers....so, you got lucky and got a good one on your SWLE. It's a crapshoot when you buy NIB if you're gonna get a crater playfield or a normal one. I've seen lots of SW's on location - some are smooth and nice, some are lumpy. They're not equal, and don't let the "it'll smooth out crowd" tell you it's no big deal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.