69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#302 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I sure hope Stern catches this thread and a few of the others following Expo. They should be at general quarters as soon as possible if they don't want to take a nose dive.

I think Stern doesn't care about me, I sent several messages about code bugs and didn't even get a reply as if the message went straight in the trash can.

I had bought 4 NIB Stern pins in around 24 month period Tron, XMLE, STLE and IM VE and since then nothing. I believe 3.5 years off Stern. I have bought second hand Stern (Met pro, AcDc pre, TWD pro, LotR, SM and Tspp) but have avoided any way to support the actual company of Stern since they have been giving paying customers the cold shoulder. Also the code was completed and the second hand games and were good values mostly priced less than $5K except AcDc premium.

I say Stern doesn't care about me, Stern doesn't exist to me and I don't exist to Stern. But the thing is if any more people would follow my example and just stop buying Stern pins. Say Stern makes GOTG and it has as much on the PF as SW and it's code is as complete as BM66. Just don't buy it. Stern will sell 300 units or some number but they may get the point and take some action and listen to their customers.

I said Stern should have a website with a suggestion box where we could put suggestions and they would actually read the suggestions not just throw them in the trash.

I was never going to buy BM66 (joke at that price) but from what I've read of the code as well as Kiss code, cabinet splitting insert ghosting, general sloppiness it's an embarrassment. I don't hope Stern goes out of business, but I do hope they change their practices.

First thing should be price cuts, code completions, put back in basic features like PF supports, make sure the cabinets don't separate, the decals don't fall off the inserts don't ghost the clear doesn't flake off etc..

$5K $6K and $7K that's a good place to start.

I would wager that a $15K BM66 SLE would be hard pressed to sell for $8K today.

#319 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

What im really in awe with are the thumbs up in the very first post. Its practically unanimous.

Hopefully Stern can understand Pinside is part of their market. I’m not sure they get the message yet, didn’t they have a PR guy about commitment to code and was abandoned without any change in practice. Only lip service.

I’m supporting Spooky and JJP.

#426 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

how is it profitable routing 5000.00 pins that are always breaking down?

Have you seen the thread of ST pro with 11,000 plays on location? That pin is completely paid for itself and can be sold for $3700+ (estimate).

Not every pin is breaking down.

I have been to one barcade that is somewhat local but it's really one hour drive each way so it's not really convenient to me, so I don't go unless I want to play a game like DI. But really they may not be set up well, they had a Met which the hammer didn't work so it was pointless. I mean I have a mint condition Met in my basement. Also it's hard to hear the games because they don't set the volume too lout but with JJP games you could at least bring your own headphones.

but in my area (30-40 minute drive) there is no point on location.

#435 6 years ago

DDB91049-BE4F-431B-9A34-98B27B2FDE92 (resized).jpegDDB91049-BE4F-431B-9A34-98B27B2FDE92 (resized).jpeg

#487 6 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

l'll have a side bet on that.. DI will out sell both Hobbit and Woz. But then you can only reply on stat from this site...

DI won’t outsell Woz.

#539 6 years ago

I quit Stern prior to any Spike games as well. But as I stated earlier it was due to the code issues and lack of communications and lack of response from Stern.

I had both STLE and XMLE that both germinated for a good part of 12-24 months with subpar code and even when finished they were not as good as I thought was possible (no Lyman magic because he was not involved).

Anyway..

If you want to see if Stern sells to Pinside ( a good number) just look at the owners of the various pins Metallica all three versions is 1319 owners which is more than Williams IJ and a lot more than CFTBL and only surpassed by some of the truly heavy sellers like TZ and TAF.

But specifically look at two pins XMLE and Tron LE those sold 550 and 400 units respectively and there are no premium versions so we know the real numbers sold. Pinside accounts for 231 (XM) and 215 (Tron)

thats *almost* half of the LEs of the two most recent pins Stern sold LE only. If I go back farther to BSM and Avatar LE there is not as much of a obvious link since only 26% of Avatar LE sold are listed as owned and even less BSM.

So while Stern may indeed sell more pro pins, they probably sell more LE pins to this market and as you see with Metallica Pinside owning 1300 that is not an insignificant number

Also this is missing people on Pinside do not list games for example there may be 10 or 40 or who knows how many people on Pinside who own XMLE but do not list their collection so the actual number of these LE pins sold to Pinsiders may be more than half.

#592 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I haven't had a chance to play it so it isn't clear to me I would like it. Just because there a bunch of stuff going on doesn't mean it'll be fun.
Never know until you get your hands on it.

The Hobbit is a prime example.

#593 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The new potc looks great with lots of cool features..... but isnt anyone worried about the over use of the upper playfield? Every right ramp shot goes up there and theres a vuk or something that shoots it up there from behind also. Most people bitched about g.o.t and its upper playfield use and this game dont even have a diverter(like got) and has a back way in? Crazy how this isnt mentioned but got gets crucified for this?

I asked about this, I mean crazy how the upper PF is instantly accessible, unlike Woz or Tspp.

I guess (?) just don’t shoot the ramp if you don’t need to access the upper PF.

Still seems like it can be a neat little PF but I didn’t think I’d want to be up there 20 times a game. AcDc premium lower PF is fun but only in small doses.

I don’t know anything since haven’t watched any videos and don’t know if the rules will make it fun to play all the time or only during certain modes.

#655 6 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

In that pic is the "Ultimate Wizard Mode". Hell, my XMEN still doesn't have a final wizard mode and is the only pinball I know of that has a "dead end" to it. Sucky job there, Stern!

XM (IMO) has some flaws that could have been fixed if Stern gave a crap, the lack of final Wizard mode is one.

Automatic restart completed hero modes created roadblocks or repeating modes to little effect (would have been easy for Stern to make this a menu toggle, like stacking on/off is).

IMO defeating all the villains is too hard (IMO) in one game, maybe some people can do it but to me it seems just starting all the villain modes (like LotR does with the ring modes) would have been a better goal (or make it an option in the menu). I have never defeated more than 2 villain modes in a single game.

I am talking about people who like to play on 3-balls and maybe would like to see more of the game such as DP mode with the glass on.

I thought XM had a lot of potential like a Tron layout with more depth of rules and fun rules especially he villain modes. But Stern just got it to 85% and quit.

#657 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I didn't realize this. Was 99.9% in on purchasing one. Glad I didn't.

The code has improved greatly since it was released, at first it didn't even keep score correctly and one update mad it so bad that I switched back to the first code. The crap code release was so bad that every shot you made to a hero, you got the same Wolverine call out, it was amateur hour at Stern. Then you have the current code where the wizard mode (I believe doesn't have code for DMD) and it has Professor X mode which is quite fun but a few of the mutant you need to hit doesn't point to the correct shots, in other words it would show Ice Man but the shot wouldn't be Ice Man ramp it would be Psylock shot (or something) totally amateur, could be corrected in a minute but Stern doesn't give a crap.

#677 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

This isn't correct either. Shots all correspond to their silhouette's, the problem for most people is that the game uses a ton of characters (23 total) for Xavier's mode and many are not featured in any other parts of the game so they don't know what to shoot for. Also people don't think of the lower brotherhood target for instance as something they should shoot for in this mode, so they don't, can't complete Xavier and then think it is broken. Here all all the characters you could randomly get in Xavier's mode and where to shoot for if you get them...

So you’re saying Ice Man = Storm ramp is not a bug?

Why can’t Ice Man = Ice Man ramp?

I do like that mode and it’s nice if you can’t remember, just hit Xavier and he will light the correct shot.

Gambit hurry-up was really inventive and my favorite shot to make.

#684 6 years ago

Can’t say Pinside is a small percentage as half of XMLE and Tron LE are represented just in owners collections not counting Pinsiders who don’t list their collection so could be even higher.

1300 Metallica represented how many did Stern sell? If they sold 4k that’s 1/3 of all Metallica pins and probably a higher number of LE

#861 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

At least B/W games are fixable! Stern won't give schematics for their lousy Spike system. Even if they did, the soldering skills and equipment many of us have acquired over the years is useless since they're now using tiny, surface-mount components. Not only that, but the Spike node boards are not all interchangeable with other Spike games either. Add to that splitting cabs, crap clearcoat, and incomplete code... I'll stick with 25+year old B/W games--or even better (to me) classic Stern games. Seawitch, 9 Ball, Meteor, Stargazer, etc... Those are the only Stern's i expect to be able to play 20 years from now!

I'd like to see them improve the quality of their games, but until there's any solid evidence that they have, I wouldn't consider a newer Stern and easily understand why others won't either. Why risk it? Even if you get one that has good cosmetics (and stays that way after several hundred games), you're still going to be waiting for the code to be completed. BM66 anyone? I still can't believe they pulled the whole SLE stunt and still haven't completed code on it (or any variation of BM66 for that matter). That alone is enough to make me question their dedication to home buyers. Add in the aforementioned issues, and it's a no-brainer. It's crazy, their games have gotten less reliable, build quality is diminished, and the prices have gone up! Quite a stunt!

100% agree, Stern made this shit show last year with BM66. Compounding all the other issues lack of quality, lack of code, removing PF supports, movingthe on/off switch to the head. It’s not one thing it’s a dozen. I’ll gladly go on from here without giving Stern another dollar.

I am not taking anything away from past great Stern pins (SM, Tron, AcDc, AcDc, TWD, LotR, TSPP etc..) but that was then this is now. Currently JJP, Spooky and others are in the fight for my dollars and have earned them more than Stern. Stern has burned too many bridges. I look at my PotC, TSPP, LOTR, SM and see that it was possible for Stern to make full-featured and well-coded pins. PF supports that I don't need to add aftermarket, full features without having to pay an extra $2K for an LE or premium.

Spike was not a good omen for me, I viewed it as a cost-cutting measure (the pin?). If Stern could sell an empty box they would (Gary said as much with SW).

#864 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The good news...BM66 is miles from a “crap game”......fact

Is it worth $8-10K it was sold for?

I can't see BM re-selling for any more than a typical LE or premium, I see one GB LE with mods not selling at $6950 and I have to view that as comparable to any BM66 LE or premium.

#871 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Good news is no one is really looking for one .... lol. Sorry i had to.. You can get a premium nib if one really wants bat66 .... they are selling at a discount nib since it didnt sell real well.

all owners have listed BM66 very high yet it's rated very low overal *funny how many 9+ ratings it has, even with beta codel, it's ranked below Avatar, Mustang, TF etc..

I have played it myself meh, it was right next to AFMr and DI was across the room so it was not even fair how meh BM was (to me).

#975 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

combining great game play with great graphics is bringing pinball into the 21st century...the "old school" mentality your preaching has zero longevity in pinball....my kids all love the new games that with come with great game play and graphics....hard to believe you think "all" your 25 year old pins are better than LOTR, MET, ACDC or ANY of the recent JJP pins....I bet your also a fan of the old school dmd's versus the new color versions....

Agree, I’ve had lots of B/W top ten pins and think the top Stern pins are better, maybe code for me. Everyone is different but I wonder at people who dislike Tspp, SM, LotR, Met, Tron. I like both eras but preferred Stern pins until the last few years when all these problems and code issues and price hikes and cost cutting started to accumulate.

When you could buy NIB Tron, IM, TWD etc. for $46-4700 that was a good time.

#976 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Are there really lots of LE's sitting in distributors warehouses?

When I was trying to sell my XMLE 2.5 years ago, had a dealer tell me he was not interested in trading for mine because he still had 4-5 NIB XMLE this was around 2+ years after they were initially sold.

#1034 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I really thought you were joking, but then read the rest of the post. Guess not ... Jesus man, really? And yes, I have played it. Stern has some really good stuff - but not that one. (Yes I have played it enough...and I am a GOT fan)

I have not played it that much but didn’t care for the upper PF overmuch when I did play it. One thing that really bothered me was I’d play several games all around the same not really trying to do anything special because I don’t know the rules but one game I’d get 5x higher score because of some bonus multiplier I didn’t even know how I got. Someone said I must hav hit the battering ram x number of times.

I don’t think that’s a great game code if you get massive points for doing something on accident.

#1069 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

what do you consider massive on GOT? You don’t fall ass backwards into billions. Maybe a few hundred million if you get lucky, but that’s peanuts.

Yep few hundred million points.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1070 6 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I don't understand how this thread (and others) can exist with these pictures and stern says nothing.

Stern doesn’t care.

Until legions of people stop supporting them they will do the same, probably sold a lot of ST already.

#1071 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Wow, just wow, with those pictures I am so happy I was able to return my MET for being a POS, and I am not surprised at all Stern has not improved. I am surprised that people keep buying NIB Stern pinball machines though.
Small key issue and Jersey Jack calls the customer himself, just like Charlie would at spooky. The "great Pinball savior" Gary Stern doesn't have the time, and if he did he just deflects and lies along with his minions Powers and Gomez.

Gary would say something like no machine is perfect and it’s within the normal standards to have some decal peel or ghosting or cabinet splitting etc..

#1086 6 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

You have to pay extra for that nice JJP manual too.

So?

You have to pay extra for PF supports on Stern.

I’d rather have PF supports myself.

#1134 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

some of your rant I agree with, but to say that Stern is even in the same league in regards to quality versus JJP is a total JOKE...clearly the JJP product is built 10X better than Sterns....if you owned one you would know that....I have have several of both and there is no comparison...

Word just got Woz RR it’s a beast.

Remember crocodile Dundee movie, ‘that’s not a knife that’s is a knife’

#1137 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

That bad boy probably weighs close to 400 pounds....enjoy its a fun game...

The odd couple.
FA1C41C1-BA8F-4793-98E3-5E1FC17CF924 (resized).jpegFA1C41C1-BA8F-4793-98E3-5E1FC17CF924 (resized).jpeg

#1139 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Looks good....its a great wide body game....hopefully u have the newer light boards as the originals were problematic....

D9A3E3DA-E837-4767-8112-6C4F6B630028 (resized).jpegD9A3E3DA-E837-4767-8112-6C4F6B630028 (resized).jpeg

#1368 6 years ago

So that's it, the new GOTG thread from yesterday has more posts than this entire thread.

12362080_1107684859253730_2031685482_n (resized).jpg12362080_1107684859253730_2031685482_n (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1459 6 years ago

I’m trying to figure out when did Stern jump the shark?

There was always some hits and misses with games: BBH/IM and Tron/Avatar some hits some misses.

I think some low games like XM, TF, Avengers were interspersed with Tron, AcDC, Metallica are examples of the typical peaks and troughs that is normal along the way although a lot of bad code was starting to appear with lots of delays but some code being better when done (Lyman) and some being not great.

But overall even in this era there was not as much serious issues (XMLE Aux board was an issue but easily fixed). There was some issues with decals not sticking well but I think that was addressed somewhat satisfactory.

It was not until last several years (from Spike) that Stern had a lot more serious issues, ghosting, splitting cabinets and overall more cheaply made but more costly.

While I’m sure Spike has some advantages, to me it always seems like it was mainly advantage to Stern so they could make the pins cheaper (Transformers The Pin was the first Spike machine iirc).

#1465 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Wasn't this guy proven to be a disgruntled former seller of stern games through back channels instead of being a real distributor that was recently frozen out of selling sterns? If true it seems like this is as much sour grapes as anything as he had no problem selling these poor quality games that he would not purchase to other people. I wonder if he was still allowed to sell them if he would have posted the video and refused to sell these pieces of junk to his customers?
All of the spike bitching and moaning is getting old. If the node boards scare you then don't buy the games. I've owned numerous spike games and have had zero node board issues. The sound is dramatically improved and I like the new display. Time will tell how well it holds up compared to SAM. As for recent issues there have always been issues and they have happened with every company. ACDC had terrible cloudy windows, XMENLE wouldn't even play, a large run of MET's had issues with playfields chipping at the magnet, a run of MET pro's and WrestleMania had head decal issues, early kiss games had decal wrinkling issues, GB and SMVE had ghosting issues, GOT had a diverter issue, a few AS and GB had cabinet separation issues, and if we go back a little further we can name issues for almost every release. We can do the same thing for every other company as well. If any of these things scare you then do not ever buy a NIB because issues can and will happen to a few people and it happens from every company that makes pinball machines.

So you’re ok if Stern now says in the manual that insert ghosting may be normal?

#1491 6 years ago

I stand corrected according to this video Stern makes 5 of the best pins on the market today

#1571 6 years ago

Regarding nothing to compete with Stern Pro at least TNA is within $700 if a pro cost, and with topper, PF supports, upgraded side rails, full color LEDs.

I’m not saying the cost of PF supports $70, topper $xx and improved side rails $xxx would equal $700 but it’s conceivable if Spooky had stripped the game like Stern does with the pro that it could cost $5700 ish.

1 week later
#1633 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Playfields are not covered by the Stern warranty

At least SW Is so barren it shouldn’t be hard to swap out.

#1651 6 years ago

Regarding the play field dimples on SW posted earlier.

I have a vintage 10 years old Potc that looks almost new, has 800+ plays not that many that I’d expect all dimples to even out. Most of my light play Stern pins look the same.

I know that’s still new to some routed games but I’d except that Potc PF was made of stronger stuff. Has some dimples but not god awful.

E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpegE8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpegD3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#1725 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Pinside is apparently a very small demographic of pinball owners, but it seems to be large enough to give us all a good idea of what's happening.

I’ll disagre somewhat when you say Pinside is a very small demographic of pinball owners.

If you look at the pins where you can know how many were produced such as Tron LE (400) XMLE (550) and so on you will see around half of these pins are owned by Pinsiders and far more for the Spooky titles.

I’d guess Pinside is leaning more towards the newer titles like GB, Tron, TWD etc. and the LEs more than the pinball owners at large which may consist of person who owns one game in their game room and never is too active in the hobby to be on Pinside. So likely Pinside as a whole could be small overall, I think it buys a lot of the newer pins and the boutique pins etc..

You also should appreciate that not all Pinsiders list the games they own. I know several people on Pinside who never list any games in their collection

So maybe you are correct overall Pinside may be very small but if you look at the new and the high end new pins probably Pinside is probably inordinately large.

3 years later
#1869 2 years ago

I just bought JP premium couldn’t be happier with the theme, toys, and code.

Bought SW premium comic a while ago and it’s my favorite pin.

#1906 2 years ago

I love Woz.

It might be a little wide body floaty but it’s super fun.

I don’t get all jazzed about packed with toys, passed on Halloween because I can’t see how it’ll play with flow or not. Maybe it’ll flow but all those upper PF seem a bit much. I know Woz had two but it still had some breathing room.

Lots of great choices not everyone likes the same games.

I don’t like LZ or GnR either one. But there are a bunch of Stern games I’d buy. I own seven currently and something like 13-14 Stern pins in my collection at one point or another. Once my collection was nothing but Stern pins.

#1972 2 years ago

There are 2 R&M on location near me.

Also surprisingly 2 TBL on the same locations.

#1982 2 years ago

Stern should make 1250 LE on the next Keith Godzilla or whatever it might be because it’ll still sell out instantly.

5 months later
#2021 2 years ago

It’s funny that the first post was complaining about BM66 now it’s selling for big money and my next pin. I’ve spoke to several Pinsiders looking for an allotment for the last BM66 run.

I’ve also bought JP and SW premium, Godzilla LE along with BM66 in the last 2 years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 34.99
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.