69BA21D4-F04D-449E-BEAF-DE28324FBBDD (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
25399121_937045336475070_2734934962528468648_n (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
D3572CF8-02D0-4519-BAA1-0BB433FD16CD (resized).jpeg
E8CB3B2A-179A-454B-AC96-BD932A6FA404 (resized).jpeg
homer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#550 6 years ago

For the Barcade is the future idea - a fair amount of the folks who put games on location are pinball enthusiasts themselves. I don't think they just do it for the money or the fame. They want to get more pinball out there to more folks and work on something that they are good at and have fun with.

Like Atlanta sucks for location pinball but my friend who has owned games for years just went and put 4 games around ATL on location. He is doing it because he loves pinball.

So yes location pinball will continue to steadily grow, but I feel much of the new games going out there will be set up and run by those folks who love pinball, care about quality and code and not some route guy who has never flipped a ball before looking to make a quick buck. So you can't ignore Home Use folks for location people because a good chunk of the HOme Use people are the location folks.

#591 6 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Only because I know the good people at Stern read these threads:
I am new in the hobby, and my first and last NIB was Met pro at about $4,500. Prices above this mark are too high for me and I'll be exploring used titles for the foreseeable future. Consider this a +1 in how many people stopped buying after the recent price hikes.

Well at least you do not have to get a color DMD. JJP did not put any pressure on Stern pricing with a $500 increase of their own for Pirates. Wish they stayed the same.

#670 6 years ago

Sounds like someone needs to open a pinball Company.

#731 6 years ago

Folks can say Spooky games aren't that great. No biggie.

Does anyone here defending Spooky actually own any of their games?

#734 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Gotg has been in development for a while.... so even after the potc reveal it will still be a cookie cutter layout with as little as possible on the playfield.... unless they delay it and redo things. Which we know that wont happen lol...

Ha ha. Hopefully we will get a good Stern Pro value player. Man Borg games are so good.

#747 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is a pretty good point. It's been made clear that it's a-ok to go beyond criticizing products and policies around here. Perfectly acceptable to attack pretty much everybody at stern personally, and say really awful things about them and their motivations.
If that's so, nobody is off limits, not even the sweethearts at Spooky.

Quoted from Manic:

yeah I once said something a little snarky about a Steve Richie design and promptly found a PM from the King gently lambasting me for my comments. Kinda cool actually.
So yeah of course all those guys read PS...it directly relates to what they do so why wouldn't they?
Now getting them to ADMIT it is another matter

I think folks thinking Stern is reading what they say on Pinside is a big part of the problem of excessive complaining about games.

If tons of folks constantly complain on PS they feel folks at Stern or anywhere else will take note and adjust. If they don't complain maybe folks feel their gripes will go unnoticed. This includes minor issues or larger issues. All of which means that PS is just one big complaint porthole though and that is why it is not very fun like it used to be. The helpers, fixers and reasonable folks are disappearing steadily.

#751 6 years ago

Yeah I vaguely remember someone from JJP going on a under warranty WOZ for sale thread randomly mentioning to perspective buyers that the warranty was only for the original owners and can not be transferred. That did not go well, but they worked it through. The smaller companies have done very well with Pinside presence. Very smart of them to do so and they got rewarded with support and sales. Stern should do it also even if they take it on the chin because it would mean they are trying. JJP should do it too especially because they get a lot of love right now.

On the complaining - I feel a pretty good chunk of the legitimate complaining about Stern is totally getting lost because it is done by folks who don't own any Sterns and will likely never buy a new Stern or used one anyway. Like I have some BW or JJP friends who constantly bad mouth Stern. I never badmouth any of their games I don't really like. It does not make me happy and I feel like I am being rude doing it.

There is some - "well I would buy a new Stern if they do all these things!", but the list seems to go on too long and sorry Stern or anyone else is not dropping their prices $500 or more. If you don't like any of their games made yet like LOTR, TSPP, SM, FG, IM, MET, ACDC, TWD, GB, GOT SW etc then chances are you just will not own a newer Stern and they will not change for you. That's ok. Plenty of other options.

For me, if you complain about BM code, GB ghosted inserts or a cab issue in your game I totally feel for you and hope things get resvolved. If you got burned I get that and you should be annoyed. If you haven't gotten burned, never owned a Stern or just don't like Stern because of their gameplay or attitude and/ or feel you have to complain about them to make yourself feel better about spending a lot of money on a JJP DI or Pirates purchase or think by complaining you are helping save pinball or something that is kind of lame.

#764 6 years ago
Quoted from Cantaffordgames:

I work at a Pinball Bar (nothing other than that) and I'm telling you it's gotten so many people that have never played into the hobby, I think he's on the right track.

I agree. Barcades kill it if run correctly. Just not sure how many folks who may open a barcade or own a bar hear Gary make his speeches about this? Also at at a pinball shows Gary always talks about how location games are the future of pinball, but everyone on the audience already own games and / or support location anyway.

Talking about the right things to the wrong audience Gary is.

#815 6 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Stern does not even read these posts. And even more if they did they could care less about all the money we have spent on their shit product.

What are you talking about? You think your MET, ST and Acdc are shit? Really?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#840 6 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Oh really? Let me just start with Metallica Premium NIB! CPU board not working, separate fuse board NOT working, defective snake mylar, mystery scoop not working, Snake jaw installed wrong, coffin box not working. I am new to pinball and every game so far (4) NIB that I have bought have had some issues. Met Pre being the worst! No, I don't think the game play is shit at all. I think they are great fast playing games, but in my opinion and experience the build quality is far from good. My first game was a Kiss that I got in the early 1990's. This game was USED when I acquired it. I never experienced even remotely close to the many issues with that game as I have with NIB Stern games.

Man your experience is not typical. Sorry the odds worked against you on those somehow and glad you got those good players worked out.

#847 6 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Games not working out of the box, splitting cabinets, ghosting on brand new games what do people "let on" about that? Perception is key and if they are not happy than who are you to down play it? Their QC sucks at best and this is clearly evident. You are obviously a Stern fan boy 119 people speaks volume and they do sell allot more games because they rush them out with unfinished code and lack of QC.

It seems like B/W folks would like Sterns beacuse they enjoy constantly fixing and tweaking their pinball games.

We have a friend in our pinball group with a dozen 90's pins who constantly asks all owners of newer Sterns how much ghosting we have on our PF's and who many other problems we have and thinks Stern sells a crappy product. He was totally fine with buying a 90's pin recently from from a collector who had a DMD problem "that just started the day before you showed up?!" and he spent hours and hours and then more money fixing the issues. He never bad mounted or complained about the seller or anything. He kind of liked the challenge. He would not want to deal with Stern and some Stern buyers would not want to deal with my buddy's issues.

I think we are all "fanboys" of pinball which is crazy within itself.

#849 6 years ago

In pinball history there must have been some periods of folks saying "the way these games are made they will never last!" issues. I don't know if examples because I haven't been around long enough, but the older games live on. Maybe this was never a question or issue before.

#928 6 years ago
Quoted from jzdziarski:

I haven't yet played a stern table I actually like, and we have several nearby. It feels more like they're depending on game code and effects rather than good pinball play, good target placement, and a game with a predictable, skill-based objective (that's not a video game). I get that they hired a lot of the old staff from defunct pin companies, but compared with anything I ever played back in the 80s/90s, it just doesn't compare... and as they seem to be banking so much on code, from what I've read in this forum it sounds as though they don't have nearly the coding talent that modern day game manufacturers have on staff, so you're likely to buy a game that is riddled with bugs and end up with something abandoned in a few years... versus the 25yo pins sitting in my home today that are timeless.
Maybe Stern is just for a younger generation. I don't think I would ever buy one. It feels more like they've ruined pinball.

It is ok you don't like Stern. Plenty of good pins to go around.

What I appreciate is you not being hyper dramatic about your view.

#934 6 years ago
Quoted from jzdziarski:

Stern also seems to have the highest concentration of shitposters in their community... another reason not to jump on that bandwagon

Well......I would say other folks who like the other manufactures shoot plenty of Shit. There is no right or wrong and if we feel like we are under attack we really aren't.

You said it in a mellow way but you still said Stern ruined pinball.

How about this - What if there was no more Stern and Williams was still in business and put out the exact same pins that Stern did over the last 20 years. They played the same and everything.

I may be wrong, but I feel that you would like the games a lot more, even love a few, and would not say that there has not been a good pin made since MM and Williams is ruining pinball.

#943 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I think you'll find some common threads among those games, namely talent from WMS. But imagine what they could have done without handcuffs?
Stern didn't really start making good games until they were forced to by market changes. Even then I've felt like something was missing.

I am sorry could you do a timeline? Like TSPP, LOTR, FG, RBION, SM, sopranos, IM were all cheap games where the folks making it had to be held back so even worse these games were not that good also? Folks got these games from Stern without any competition for around $4000ish or under also. Not bad. Keep in mind they had lower production runs. If Stern was selling 20,000 or so pins maybe prices would come down?

Seems like completion came in and when it did then prices went up and up not steady or down either. What is up with that?

For all folks say about "value" and how Stern does not offer any, they do have the best resale value of any other pin company and a Pro pin can crush in the right location and make an operator and business owner money. I have seen the numbers and they can be off the charts good. This exposes new folks to pinball and future owners of pinball. I am sure JJP does well also, but they are $2000 or $2500 more and a routed JJP game will depreciate more dollars than an Stern Pro.

JPOTC looks great and maybe Jack said "go crazy" on it to the design team. Maybe that added a $500 price increase or maybe not. Game looks really cool, but I am not sure $8500-$12500 games are the way that pinball should go just to get the hadcuffs off.

#945 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'm not sure Stern are going to be able to sustain their current pricing model in the US, next year.
The bottom seems to have dropped out of HUO LE prices this year, and Premiums are down significantly too.

Well who knows next year, but recently GB Le, BMLE and SW Le did sell out. So I don't see the big drop out that you see. Do those LE's make sense in value for what you get? Most would say no, myself included, but folks and myself are buying them anyway. I am not defending SWLE as a good value. It is not and folks should get a Prem or pro, but I love my LE anyway. People are saying JJP games are good values, but I don't think those are either, but folks will buy them and love them anyway. That is ok. Either way things are selling well and prices are not coming down.

I think CGC games are pretty cool! Folks know the games and what they are getting.

I am not sure what good sales for DI even are. I know they are selling but not selling like crazy and if JJP does get a bigger factory I bet that prices will go up not down due to history of this with Stern. They just did a $500 increase on POTC. I get the feeling that folks who were thinking of DI will put the breaks on to see what POTC is like and that will slow DI sales significantly. Why not wait? What is the downside when JJP will make these games for 5 years anyway? Too bad because they are just getting DI out. Folks may love JJP games and the quality, but fewer and fewer folks can afford them and even fewer can buy each one if a fresh pin comes out every year from them compared to say buying one Stern Pro a year.

I really wish JJP, Spooky and CGC were bringing on some competition for Stern, but their games are greats from the past, good folks making different, but not for everyone games and expensive, good quality games priced and made for higher end buyers. Not sure who is giving stern a lot pressure? Wish there was more?

#1005 6 years ago

I really haven't had much fun playing WOZ and Hobbit so far, but I try to clear my mind of any preconceived judgments before I play any game. I don't want my views to lock in where they will never change and I have to be stuck on to them or else I will lose or admit I was wrong or something in my mind.

I really never give up in on anything because I may like something later that I am not big on today. Oh my views have changed over the years and will likely change again. When I started I thought I would only buy $2000ish BW games and just cycle through them periodically. Well then IM got a rerun, so I bought that NIB for what I thought was "crazy money!" and I kind of like Sterns better now. I also like 80's Bally's better than 90's BW's now also?! Things change for me and will change again. I could even see selling a couple of my new games for a Bally or two. Who knows? This open minded stuff is all a good thing. It is for me at least.

So I am going to a Buddy's house play DI tonight in a home environment. I will going with an attitude of "what the hell do I know about pinball?" and give it a good shot. Even if I don't like it I am not going to give up on it and never play it again and dig in that JJP games aren't fun.

This all just works for me. Don't take this the wrong way, but - It doesn't seem like a bunch of you are having a super great time explaining "how right" you are about your locked in views on pinball. Well unless PS opinion drama posting is fun for you.

#1011 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

If people want more evidence for why Stern machines aren't really selling in EU, aside from lack of features and poor quality, you just have to look at the level of price gouging.
A WOZ RR, a DI LE or a PotC LE all cost less than any of the new Spike 2 LEs in Europe.
SW Premium, BM'66 Premium & Aerosmith Premium cost the same to buy as standard DI and JJP PotC.
Can you imagine if Stern Premium prices in the US were raised to parity with JJP's base level, and LEs beyond JJP LEs? No, I couldn't either. Sales would collapse.

I did not know that. Why is the pricing that way? Do a few Stern distributors control the pricing? Stern just charges more for EU?

Those stern prices you pay are 10% or more higher than here in the US. Good for JJP and not good for Stern. Bad for consumer choice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
6,495 (Firm)
$ 38.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern?tu=pinnyheadhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.